Deciding to get a tattoo

Staggering GeniusStaggering Genius Posts: 169
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Is there even a way to decide?

I've always been the "I am afraid of permanence" person. But also someone who will frame a quote and look at it frequently to get through a tough time.

I love other people's tattoos but never thought they were something for me. Until recently.

I see it now as a scar, a story to yourself, a movement into future. But maybe it is only ink? That will eventually sag with older skin?

I want to get "Given to Fly" in Ed's handwriting. I've seen it on the tattoo thread and think it is very inspiring. As with a lot of people, the lyrics of that song mean a lot to me; probably more than most songs, in a positive way.

I would get it somewhere it would not be seen by myself or others too often, like on my shoulder blade or ribs.

What do you think? Any tattoo regretters out there? Any commitment phobics like myself?

Or should I perhaps get the same concept painted on my wall?

Thanks.
Well, fuckers, he still stands.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Get a temporary made up of it and try it out in the different areas you think you may want it and wear it around for a while to see how you feel. Getting the first one is the hardest decision, after you're done you'll likely be trying to decide what to get next! I have 5 and if my budget allowed me to get one any time I wanted I would probably be out of places to get ink on! lol
    ...to live in the present tense...
  • I had the same type of concerns, I kind of wanted one, but when I got the pic on the right from eddie I knew that was what I wanted on my body for the rest of my life, I would not push it and just wait for that moment to happen you when you just know!
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I love my tattoos. I have two, getting my third in a few weeks. All are very significant to me and represent importants periods in my life. It took me a long time to get each one, because, like you, i didn't want to regret them. One of them I drew on my wrist every day for months just to get used to it and see if I liked it. (I did)

Seems like you've given it a lot of thought, know what you want, and it means something to you. If you decide to go for it don't look back! It becomes a part of you. :D
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I love my tattooes,I have 11 and the 12th being drawn up.I don't regret any of them.Every one tell's a story of my life.I have never rushed into any of them and I think that is the key ...

Take your time.
    Do research of what you want and of the artists in your area.
    Yes your skin will be saggy when your 70 but your not 70 yet,I assume :D so enjoy your skin and your tattoo when you are young.
    If you see a tattoo that you like on someone ask them about it and who the artist was.Most people proud of their tattooes like to tell the story behind them.
    Don't scrimp on cost,good tattooes are expensive!!!!!! But they will never leave you feeling embarrassed to show them of.
    Don't over think the pain issue,yes it is uncomfortable at certain points but it's not screamingly painful.
    Be prepared to want more and more and more. :D:o
    But most of all .... enjoy them. :D:D

Good luck ;)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I got my first tat as soon as I turned 18...mind you this was back in the early 90s...not a lot of people got tats back then...even less girls did

I don't regret my tattoo, though I wish I had picked something that meant more to me and not flash. A friend of mine did mehndi for me on my hand/wrist, I liked it, but wasn't digging the strangers coming up to me and grabbing my hand. Cool at first, but after 2 weeks, by the 6th person of the day... :roll:

Currently drawing/designing my next tat which has a lot of meaning to me. Tats do have to get re-touched as they fade and get blurry...just make sure you find a good artist...I've seen some people with some really f'ed up work.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I agree with Stargirl, it's not really painful, it almost like someone scratching with a pen on the same area and just when you it starts to get painful, it moves along. I love my tattoos, definately don't regret them. Your idea sounds great, I wouldn't mind getting that either but my hubby said no more please so I better listen to him since he said no to begin with and I went ahead and got my PJ stickman and then the piece on across my shoulders! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    I was the same way. Never thought I'd get a tattoo. I even thought most tattoos looked a bit trashy. Then Backspacer was released and I was listening to Just breathe like 20 times a day and I felt that song just spoke to me and I knew I had to have it tattood on my body. Took me about a month to find the right font, took it with me to the tattoo place and had it done in 40 minutes. Just like you, I didn't want it to show too much, but at the same time I didn't want anything tiny, so I placed it vertically on my right rib. Doesn't show too much unless I raise my arm. I love it and don't regret it for a second. Even my mother likes it :)
    Go for it! But take your time to find the right one for you.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    I would get it somewhere it would not be seen by myself or others too often, like on my shoulder blade or ribs.

Oooh the ribs are bloody painful!! One of the worst places to get tattooed on. My last tat was on my ribs. It was my 19th and the 1st time I used numbing cream and it still hurt!

My advice is never to rush into a decision, think about it carefully what you actually want. I've probably had 100's of ideas over the years but I've only gone ahead with the ones I have. They've risen to the surface if you like and stood out. I look back at some ideas that I threw out and didn't get and I'm pleased about that.

I think everyone is different. When watching tat shows like Miami Ink, LA Ink etc you see alot of people on ther getting a tat for a very specific reason. Mine, I've got done because I like them. There's no specific reason. But for others its different.

Make sure you find a quality tattooist, take ideas along and they will guide you along. As long as you have a rough idea what you want, they will draw it up for you.

Good luck!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • i don't regret mine. i know that as we age things that we were passionate about may change, so that is something to keep in mind. i got my stickfigure in 2000 and i don't regret it. not at all. i remember my friends giving me a hard time about saying things like "20 years from now you will be exactly like the guy with the marshall tucker band tattoo he got in the '70s" lol, but they are not fans like i am.. but i got that tattoo for many personal reasons, as i am sure those that have pearl jam related tattoos, or any tattoos for that matter can attest to.

i have the itch to get a new one very soon. i have been thinking about it a lot the last 6 months or so. the last 10 months have been pretty tough and i am through the worst of it so i was going to kind of reward myself for making it through the darkness in one piece. and i think i need the reminder of where i was and where i am going....i have several designs that i am looking at, but i want to go big, and going big requires a lot of time and a lot of money, both of which i do not have a lot of spare at the moment.

i guess the advice i would give you is to trust your tattoo artist. like i wanted mine smaller than i got it and he said "no, seriously, if we go that small with this you are going to look in the mirror and wish you had gone bigger". and he was right. i am glad i listened to him. good luck with whatever you decide.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    i guess the advice i would give you is to trust your tattoo artist. like i wanted mine smaller than i got it and he said "no, seriously, if we go that small with this you are going to look in the mirror and wish you had gone bigger". and he was right. i am glad i listened to him. good luck with whatever you decide.

A hugely valid point. People often take in work that the tattooist will say needs to be bigger than what they person initially wanted. If they say this, they are generally right. Very small detailed pieces will mush together as time goes on. Thats not to say the lettering for Given To Fly would have to be massive; it won't you'd probably be looking at a font size of 16 or higher I think. I got "how I choose to feel...is how I am" in font size 7 or 8 (very small!) on my forearm and whilst I don't regret, after I got it done I did kinda think it should have been bigger. As it happens, its now part of a half-sleeve on my arm with a band of stars and a cluster of black n grey cherry blossoms. So it worked in the end!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'm thinking of getting a tatto with one of my favorite and moving PJ lyrics... ;)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Suzi78 wrote:
    I was the same way. Never thought I'd get a tattoo. I even thought most tattoos looked a bit trashy. Then Backspacer was released and I was listening to Just breathe like 20 times a day and I felt that song just spoke to me and I knew I had to have it tattood on my body. Took me about a month to find the right font, took it with me to the tattoo place and had it done in 40 minutes. Just like you, I didn't want it to show too much, but at the same time I didn't want anything tiny, so I placed it vertically on my right rib. Doesn't show too much unless I raise my arm. I love it and don't regret it for a second. Even my mother likes it :)
    niiiiiice ;)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    the last 10 months have been pretty tough and i am through the worst of it so i was going to kind of reward myself for making it through the darkness in one piece. and i think i need the reminder of where i was and where i am going

i guess the advice i would give you is to trust your tattoo artist.

I totally agree with gimmesometruth27.
    I am also on my 12th design as a reminder that I have survived the past 10 months.100% trust the advice and guidance from the artist,they do it every day,they know what they are talking about.Any artist worth their reputation will not guide you in the wrong direction.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Suzi78 wrote:

Hope this doesn't sound creepy, but I saw yours on the thread awhile ago and thought if I was to ever get a tattoo, I would want it to be like that. That's why I am thinking ribs, because I really like the way yours looks. It is very nice.
  • boyo79 wrote:

A hugely valid point. People often take in work that the tattooist will say needs to be bigger than what they person initially wanted. If they say this, they are generally right. Very small detailed pieces will mush together as time goes on. Thats not to say the lettering for Given To Fly would have to be massive; it won't you'd probably be looking at a font size of 16 or higher I think. I got "how I choose to feel...is how I am" in font size 7 or 8 (very small!) on my forearm and whilst I don't regret, after I got it done I did kinda think it should have been bigger. As it happens, its now part of a half-sleeve on my arm with a band of stars and a cluster of black n grey cherry blossoms. So it worked in the end!

I really don't want anything too big, but I have heard that over time when skin sags, small lettering can get muddled together. I suppose it would also depend on if I wanted to get the lettering horizontal or vertical. Yours sounds awesome.
  • i don't regret mine. i know that as we age things that we were passionate about may change, so that is something to keep in mind. i got my stickfigure in 2000 and i don't regret it. not at all. i remember my friends giving me a hard time about saying things like "20 years from now you will be exactly like the guy with the marshall tucker band tattoo he got in the '70s" lol, but they are not fans like i am.. but i got that tattoo for many personal reasons, as i am sure those that have pearl jam related tattoos, or any tattoos for that matter can attest to.

i have the itch to get a new one very soon. i have been thinking about it a lot the last 6 months or so. the last 10 months have been pretty tough and i am through the worst of it so i was going to kind of reward myself for making it through the darkness in one piece. and i think i need the reminder of where i was and where i am going....i have several designs that i am looking at, but i want to go big, and going big requires a lot of time and a lot of money, both of which i do not have a lot of spare at the moment.

Congratulations on making it through the darkness. That's kind of the idea behind what I want.

That is also my greatest concern. What I am passionate about now can change. But then I guess if I make that commitment, it will always be a passion. At least what it stands for.
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    I love my tattooes,I have 11 and the 12th being drawn up.I don't regret any of them.Every one tell's a story of my life.I have never rushed into any of them and I think that is the key ...

Take your time.
    Do research of what you want and of the artists in your area.
    Yes your skin will be saggy when your 70 but your not 70 yet,I assume :D so enjoy your skin and your tattoo when you are young.
    If you see a tattoo that you like on someone ask them about it and who the artist was.Most people proud of their tattooes like to tell the story behind them.
    Don't scrimp on cost,good tattooes are expensive!!!!!! But they will never leave you feeling embarrassed to show them of.
    Don't over think the pain issue,yes it is uncomfortable at certain points but it's not screamingly painful.
    Be prepared to want more and more and more. :D:o
    But most of all .... enjoy them. :D:D

Good luck ;)

Some great advice here. Thank you.

I like your philosophy on skin. I should enjoy it while it looks nice! What a wonderful way of looking at things.
  • Loulou wrote:
    I agree with Stargirl, it's not really painful, it almost like someone scratching with a pen on the same area and just when you it starts to get painful, it moves along. I love my tattoos, definately don't regret them. Your idea sounds great, I wouldn't mind getting that either but my hubby said no more please so I better listen to him since he said no to begin with and I went ahead and got my PJ stickman and then the piece on across my shoulders! :lol:

You should get it! But of course, I am biased.
  • I had the same type of concerns, I kind of wanted one, but when I got the pic on the right from eddie I knew that was what I wanted on my body for the rest of my life, I would not push it and just wait for that moment to happen you when you just know!

That's kind of what happened to me. Given to Fly means so much to me, but when I saw it on the tattoo thread in Ed's handwriting, I felt like it needed to be with me. Yours is awesome, by the way.
  • Get a temporary made up of it and try it out in the different areas you think you may want it and wear it around for a while to see how you feel. Getting the first one is the hardest decision, after you're done you'll likely be trying to decide what to get next! I have 5 and if my budget allowed me to get one any time I wanted I would probably be out of places to get ink on! lol

I didn't know I could get a temporary made. Great idea. I think I may do that. Thanks!
  • RYEzupSF wrote:
    I love my tattoos. I have two, getting my third in a few weeks. All are very significant to me and represent importants periods in my life. It took me a long time to get each one, because, like you, i didn't want to regret them. One of them I drew on my wrist every day for months just to get used to it and see if I liked it. (I did)

Seems like you've given it a lot of thought, know what you want, and it means something to you. If you decide to go for it don't look back! It becomes a part of you. :D

I did that too when I was a bit younger. I was curious about something on my wrist, but I eventually found that I could not handle seeing it all the time. I'm not sure if that means a tattoo is not for me or if I should just not be able to see it all the time. Hence the current thought process.

But I love how you said it becomes part of you. I love that thought.
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    I got my first tat as soon as I turned 18...mind you this was back in the early 90s...not a lot of people got tats back then...even less girls did

I don't regret my tattoo, though I wish I had picked something that meant more to me and not flash. A friend of mine did mehndi for me on my hand/wrist, I liked it, but wasn't digging the strangers coming up to me and grabbing my hand. Cool at first, but after 2 weeks, by the 6th person of the day... :roll:

Currently drawing/designing my next tat which has a lot of meaning to me. Tats do have to get re-touched as they fade and get blurry...just make sure you find a good artist...I've seen some people with some really f'ed up work.

God, that would get annoying. I bet it looks great though.

Finding a good artist is my number one concern. I've seen people with what looks like a light handed tattoo and others with heavy handed and light always looks better to me. Not sure if that made sense.
  • I'm thinking of getting a tatto with one of my favorite and moving PJ lyrics... ;)

Care to share?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    This thread is useless without pics!
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    welll..I don't know..but I do totally agree that you need to really think about what you want, if you will want it forever, and the tattoo artist. tres important!! :) I have 4, have had them for years, and each one has a story behind it and personal meaning (of course)...but I do regret some of them....particularly the placement. I have one on each ankle--these are the ones I regret. If you're a guy, it doesn't matter so much. :lol: But, for me as a girl, I did not think about the fact that it basically would rule out wearing a dress or a skirt to pretty much any event--I am forever destined to the land of opaque tights. Also, at one point several years ago I was contemplating going to medical school (I'm a nurse)..well, never made it to medical school--chose another option, but I won't ever forget a doctor in the ER I used to work in once saw one of the tats on my ankle and knew I was thinking about medical school and he said "if you go for an interview to get in, don't let them see that or you'll never get in". Damn. I also read somewhere recently that Travis Barker said that he started getting his very early so that he would have no other choice but to go into music for a career. funny. :D
    Good luck!
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Suzi78 wrote:

Hope this doesn't sound creepy, but I saw yours on the thread awhile ago and thought if I was to ever get a tattoo, I would want it to be like that. That's why I am thinking ribs, because I really like the way yours looks. It is very nice.

Thank you! Haha, no it doesn't sound creepy. I was browsing through Dimi's tattoo pics on facebook too and got quite inspired. I know boyo79 thought it hurt like hell when he got his ribs tattood but it wasn't that bad for me. SO don't let that scare you. I asked my tattoo guy to honestly tell me if that was the most painful area to have done and he just smiled at me. So of course I was anticipating the worst. However, during the first lower part of my tattoo I could barely stop laughing and moving becasue it was tickling, then as he got closer to my armpit it started hurting. I guess women can handle pain better :) And I agree with the people above me, don't make it too small. Mine is about 30 cm (a foot) and it would've looked a little wimpy had it been smaller...I think. ANyway, post some pics when you get it done. Will be fun to see what you choose.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Such an interesting thread, with so much good advice.

I have two tattoos. Got one in 2004 the day after the Red Sox beat the Yankees in the ALCS. That was when they came from being down 0-3 and were largely written off. So it was still fresh (and tender) when they won the World Series. It's the stocking logo, on my left ankle.

I do love the Sox, but I'm not a rabid fan who can tell you all the stats of all the players at every moment. But that tattoo reminds me that no matter how bad things seem, you can always come from behind. Also, there was such an incredible sense of community in Boston at that time, it was truly moving. If I never watch another game, I'll still remember how great it was in the fall of 2004.

I went bigger than I originally intended, and I'm glad I did. The artist was able to create a texture, so it almost looks like it's embroidered.

My second tattoo is a silhouette of a black Lab, on my right ankle. Got that one a few days after our Lab, The Late, Great Seamus, died. I wanted him to be with me forever, and now he is. At the time I envisioned eventually having all of my dogs as an anklet. But I know when Sailor's time comes, he will need something truly special as he is the love of my life. So he may end up on my wrist or somewhere else where I can see him every day.

I've been thinking about something special for PJ20. Maybe ultra-traditional, like Stickman, or maybe a lyric framing an image. Not sure about that yet.

Regarding the comment about having to cover tats for job interviews _ I've worked for Harvard teaching hospitals which are really quite conservative. Now I work in a software tech environment that is much more creative and upstart-ish. At the Harvard hospitals, I wore skirts in the summer and people could see _ and at times comment on _ my tattoos. The powers that be didn't even raise an eyebrow... but one coworker at my same level (manager) made several comments about how awful tattoos are, and how her kids would never be allowed to get them, they are trashy, etc.

I think at the end of the day you have to decide whether you want to work in a place that celebrates diversity. As far as I'm concerned, I have a right to express myself in a nondisruptive way. Whether that means wearing a headscarf, a crucifix, pink hair, a yarmulke or the lyrics to "GTF" on my arm.

:)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    if you're already second guessing it then don't do it

it really doesn't sound like you're a "tattoo person"
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    times comment on _ my tattoos. The powers that be didn't even raise an eyebrow... but one coworker at my same level (manager) made several comments about how awful tattoos are, and how her kids would never be allowed to get them, they are trashy, etc.

I think at the end of the day you have to decide whether you want to work in a place that celebrates diversity. As far as I'm concerned, I have a right to express myself in a nondisruptive way. Whether that means wearing a headscarf, a crucifix, pink hair, a yarmulke or the lyrics to "GTF" on my arm.

:)[/quote]

Awesome idea you had about the pets. :) Yes, I totally agree on working in a place that celebrates diversity, and certainly it is your right to express yourself!! (why I have them, too, :) ) Sometimes, in the nursing world it is just not acceptable, though. ;( If I had my choice it would be different, but, sadly, it's not. Like, I also went through a phase where I wanted those dirty dreads that you eventually have to shave off and the 'powers that be' said oh hell no.. But pretty much the only thing that was ever said about them was by that doctor who told me I wouldn't get into medical school with them. I was like, what?? And props to you, girl!! Wear your skirt!!! :clap: I do sometimes, but again, I really do have to consider the context just to spare myself. :)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Awesome idea you had about the pets. :) Yes, I totally agree on working in a place that celebrates diversity, and certainly it is your right to express yourself!! (why I have them, too, :) ) Sometimes, in the nursing world it is just not acceptable, though. ;( If I had my choice it would be different, but, sadly, it's not. Like, I also went through a phase where I wanted those dirty dreads that you eventually have to shave off and the 'powers that be' said oh hell no.. But pretty much the only thing that was ever said about them was by that doctor who told me I wouldn't get into medical school with them. I was like, what?? And props to you, girl!! Wear your skirt!!! :clap: I do sometimes, but again, I really do have to consider the context just to spare myself. :)[/quote]

Should have added... I've been a nurse for 16 years. All in Harvard teaching hospitals and you don't get stuffier than that! Always thought it was pretty funny that the only disparaging comment I ever heard came from another nurse.

Also, having been on panels that interviewed medical students who were applying to a residency program, then voted on who got in and who didn't _ nobody cared about their tats.

The pendulum swings... ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)