Has anyone ever... (buying new car questions)

2»

Comments

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    the check engine light will be a problem- we had a similar issue when trying to trade in the old car for the new. We fixed what we could and sold it to someone off Craigslist/ebay. The dealer wasn't going to give us a lot, because he knew the car had some issues- fixed or not.

We got a really nice diesel 335d- it took 6 weeks to get here from Germany and its been the best.

you could also try different dealers around the country- if you don't mind traveling and driving it back home. We've done that a few times too.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    Bubbles wrote:
    they can delete it, but depending on what the problem is, it could come right back on.

remember, always buy manual transmissions. the are so less troublesome over the life of the car.

looks like auto zone will not reset the light but pep boys will. only issue is pep boys will charge a fee. based on the post above this, i guess it's worth it though.

i appreciate all the info guys.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    plan is to look towards the honda pilot now. thoughts on that one? anyone have one? i'm liking it more and more than the explorer the more i think about it. i think you get a lot more for your $ there.

anywho......my next question is, has anyone ever traded in a car while the check engine light is on? :?

check out the xterras. I just bought a new one last year. they are kind of a generic version of an SUV, but I like mine. We looked at explorers, pathfinders, and 4 runners, but cars are such bad investments I didn't want to pay that much (we have an xterra and an accord...I'm not a big car guy).

We got the hooked up version of the xterra (leather seats, upgraded stereo, etc). My wife wanted a certain color...the dealer that we purchased from only had white and they kept trying to push that on us. We told them that was a deal breaker and viola, they came up with the grey car that she wanted.

my advice would be to prove to them that you're ready to buy and don't settle for something. let them know what you want and they will make it happen.

EDIT: another thing to consider is that the end of month is always the best time to buy. at least that's what I was told. we took advantage of some nissan promotion and we went at end of the month. I think we got a pretty good deal on our car. I was happy because I walked out of there feeling like I didn't get ripped off
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Whatever you decide on, don't pay MSRP, pay invoice or below invoice.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i'm looking to buy a used jeep grand cherokee... anyone have/had one? any problems i should be aware of?

my ex had one so I got used to it. i just like the drive, look, and size of them.

you suggest carmax? ebay? classifieds? it's my first car so i'm just looking for a good deal
    (don't mean to hijack the thread)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    Bubbles wrote:
    they can delete it, but depending on what the problem is, it could come right back on.

remember, always buy manual transmissions. the are so less troublesome over the life of the car.

If he wants an SUV, this is impossible in the USA, sadly.

Hardly anyone in this country even knows how to use a clutch. Pathetic. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    i'm looking to buy a used jeep grand cherokee... anyone have/had one? any problems i should be aware of?

my ex had one so I got used to it. i just like the drive, look, and size of them.

you suggest carmax? ebay? classifieds? it's my first car so i'm just looking for a good deal

I bought a new (back in 2002) grand Cherokee from carmax, car fell a part a couple years in, but I hear American cars are getting a slightly better build treatment these days. I just tend to stay away from American cars since then.

anyway these are good website to check car prices and reviews,

http://www.insideline.com/

http://www.edmunds.com/
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    thanks for the review and links, mrabraham
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    thanks for the review and links, mrabraham

you totally welcome dude,
    The Fixer wrote:
    plan is to look towards the honda pilot now. thoughts on that one? anyone have one? i'm liking it more and more than the explorer the more i think about it. i think you get a lot more for your $ there.

anywho......my next question is, has anyone ever traded in a car while the check engine light is on? :?

check out the xterras. I just bought a new one last year. they are kind of a generic version of an SUV, but I like mine. We looked at explorers, pathfinders, and 4 runners, but cars are such bad investments I didn't want to pay that much (we have an xterra and an accord...I'm not a big car guy).

We got the hooked up version of the xterra (leather seats, upgraded stereo, etc). My wife wanted a certain color...the dealer that we purchased from only had white and they kept trying to push that on us. We told them that was a deal breaker and viola, they came up with the grey car that she wanted.

my advice would be to prove to them that you're ready to buy and don't settle for something. let them know what you want and they will make it happen.

EDIT: another thing to consider is that the end of month is always the best time to buy. at least that's what I was told. we took advantage of some nissan promotion and we went at end of the month. I think we got a pretty good deal on our car. I was happy because I walked out of there feeling like I didn't get ripped off

yeah i was thinking of the xterra for a bit early on. liked the explorer and pilot a little better though. plus i've had nissans since the 90's and wasn't a fan of my dealership anymore. time to switch it up. got the "comfortably equipped" pilot with leather seats, rear camera, etc etc etc. i think it's pretty sweet.

yeah, the end of the month thing works real well. that and getting quotes online made me feel like i got a great deal today. and i can honestly say this is the first time i've felt this way....really ever, when buying a car.

also--i took you guys' advice and went to pep boys. they were able to reset the engine light for free. went straight from there to the dealer with the best quote (about a grand less than the other 3 i talked to somehow). the transmission is pretty much shot in my old maxima. it was a fucking struggle just to get to the place. plus i was worried that the light would come back on. anywho, they appraised the car for $1,500 more than this other dealer i took it to a couple weeks ago (who did not even drive it)....all in all i got about 3k more than the absolute minimum i was expecting. so everything worked out real well today.

thanks again for all the advice. much appreciated.
    www.myspace.com
    MrAbraham wrote:

I bought a new (back in 2002) grand Cherokee from carmax, car fell a part a couple years in, but I hear American cars are getting a slightly better build treatment these days. I just tend to stay away from American cars since then.

anyway these are good website to check car prices and reviews,

http://www.insideline.com/

http://www.edmunds.com/

i can vouch for edmunds. that site is awesome for checking out invoices, seeing the average that people are paying for that specific vehicle in your area, and getting quotes from dealers you choose. edmunds.com is great.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited March 2011
    which model did you get?
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    The check engine is going to be a problem for sure.
    Unless you sell it privately, it won't matter if you have someone turn your light off. If you trade it in, or sell it to a dealer, when they inspect your car, that error code will trip even if the light isn't on...or you have gone through a drive cycle or two.

I was in a similar situation. I'm in the market for a new car and my current car's engine light popped. Ended up being the throttle position sensor (cheap fix). One place turned it off saying the TPS was fine. It popped on a few weeks later once it went through a drive cycle.

Anyways, if you trade it in, light or not, that diagnostic code will come out and cost you. The best thing you can do is sell it privately to someone who doesn't know any better.
    mca47 wrote:
    The check engine is going to be a problem for sure.
    Unless you sell it privately, it won't matter if you have someone turn your light off. If you trade it in, or sell it to a dealer, when they inspect your car, that error code will trip even if the light isn't on...or you have gone through a drive cycle or two.

I was in a similar situation. I'm in the market for a new car and my current car's engine light popped. Ended up being the throttle position sensor (cheap fix). One place turned it off saying the TPS was fine. It popped on a few weeks later once it went through a drive cycle.

Anyways, if you trade it in, light or not, that diagnostic code will come out and cost you. The best thing you can do is sell it privately to someone who doesn't know any better.

codes are stored after the light is off, but you can also go in and delete teh codes from the computer memory.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bubbles wrote:

codes are stored after the light is off, but you can also go in and delete teh codes from the computer memory.

Yeah, but that's why most dealers won't give you top dollar unless you've driven a number of drive cycles, post deletion. That is also why you can't pass emissions in most states with the light on, or if you get it turned off...you still have to go through two+ drive cycles.
    If you car goes through those cycles and nothing is tripped, then you're good to go.

You take a clean computer to a dealer, especially a car with some miles or age, without any clocked cycles...you're getting a whole lot less for it.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Looks like you pulled the trigger?

I was going to say check the Volvo XC90, thats my current ride and its pretty nice. The Xterra felt like a tank with very little give in the suspension after driving the Volvo. 3 Volvos later and I would put them up against anything for their all wheel drive and braking in Wyoming winters. They do go through tires and brake pads at high rates though. And Jeeps are almost worse than the Hummer for gas mileage and I dont think they were as reliable, but all American auto have stepped it up as of late.

I havent bought new since my Dodge pickup in 05, when they really started the emplyee pricing and deep discounts. The best deal was probably the dealer demo Volvo I picked up a few years back, deep discount, low miles (<2000) and full warranty. My other two Volvo purchases have also been used , from the Volvo dealers lot, lease returns. I'll let someone else take the hit up front from here on out... unless I get antsy and need to blow bucks on the new S60.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    I want to get something new in the next month or so, just not sure what.

Because of my job, I spend more time in rentals than I do my own car so I've driven pretty much everything.
    Hmmmmm....
    Bubbles wrote:
    which model did you get?

exl 4wd
    www.myspace.com
    mca47 wrote:
    Bubbles wrote:

Yeah, but that's why most dealers won't give you top dollar unless you've driven a number of drive cycles, post deletion. That is also why you can't pass emissions in most states with the light on, or if you get it turned off...you still have to go through two+ drive cycles.
    If you car goes through those cycles and nothing is tripped, then you're good to go.

You take a clean computer to a dealer, especially a car with some miles or age, without any clocked cycles...you're getting a whole lot less for it.

well i got just slightly less than what kelly blue book has it listed for if it was in good condition. i was thinking it was in rough or fair condition at best.
    www.myspace.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    Cant go wrong with a Honda. We just got a new Acura RDX for my wife. Love it. Especially the back up camera, no more punched out tail lights or dinged bumbers! :lol::lol:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Cant go wrong with a Honda. We just got a new Acura RDX for my wife. Love it. Especially the back up camera, no more punched out tail lights or dinged bumbers! :lol::lol:

yeah dude. the back up camera was key for me since i'm not used to driving suv's yet. pretty fucking cool.
    www.myspace.com
    Bubbles wrote:
    which model did you get?

exl 4wd

with or without nav?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bubbles wrote:
    Bubbles wrote:
    which model did you get?

exl 4wd

with or without nav?

i don't need nav. i've gotten around fine for 32+ plus years without it. :lol:

plus, whenever i get a new phone, i'm assuming i'll have it on there.
    www.myspace.com
    it wasn't so much about the navigation, but that package. looks like we need to upgrade your stereo system. 155 watts is not enough power for yield. 155 for 6 speakers and a sub just isn't going to cut it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bubbles wrote:
    it wasn't so much about the navigation, but that package. looks like we need to upgrade your stereo system. 155 watts is not enough power for yield. 155 for 6 speakers and a sub just isn't going to cut it.

don't you worry about it youngin'. :mrgreen:

i didn't see the point in spending more for navigation/rear entertainment system that i would hardly ever use. that was the only way to get that stereo system i believe.
    www.myspace.com
    just as long as thier is an upgrade in the works. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bubbles wrote:
    just as long as thier is an upgrade in the works. :lol:

nah, i'm cool.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

yeah i was thinking of the xterra for a bit early on. liked the explorer and pilot a little better though. plus i've had nissans since the 90's and wasn't a fan of my dealership anymore. time to switch it up. got the "comfortably equipped" pilot with leather seats, rear camera, etc etc etc. i think it's pretty sweet.

yeah, the end of the month thing works real well. that and getting quotes online made me feel like i got a great deal today. and i can honestly say this is the first time i've felt this way....really ever, when buying a car.

also--i took you guys' advice and went to pep boys. they were able to reset the engine light for free. went straight from there to the dealer with the best quote (about a grand less than the other 3 i talked to somehow). the transmission is pretty much shot in my old maxima. it was a fucking struggle just to get to the place. plus i was worried that the light would come back on. anywho, they appraised the car for $1,500 more than this other dealer i took it to a couple weeks ago (who did not even drive it)....all in all i got about 3k more than the absolute minimum i was expecting. so everything worked out real well today.

thanks again for all the advice. much appreciated.

nice. congrats on the new car. new car and a new bride in the same month...nice work (congrats on the wedding too)

My last job they gave me a maxima as my company car. The transmission on that thing was shot,just like you said . I htink I still have whiplash from putting that thing in reverse.