In search of a great book. Help me!

2»

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,972
    David Sedaris' Naked is completely hilarious.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

Recommended by someone on here - fiction that makes you think.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Fiction- For Whom the Bell Tolls. Hemingway at his best.

Non-fiction- Shadow Divers. I'm not a diver but this was an amazing book about a WW2 submarine off
    the coast of NJ.

Fast Food Nation. You'll never eat processed food again.
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Enkidu wrote:
    Fiction - Let the Great World Spin. Colum McCann. Beautiful writing. And I'm almost done with Cutting for Stone. Abraham Verghese. Also beautiful writing.

Non-fiction - my husband just finished the Jon Krakauer book about Pat Tilman, Where Men Win Glory. Good, but sad. I read the Frank Sinatra bio by James Kaplan and it's kind of trashy good fun.

One of the best books ever came recommended on this forum - King Leopold's Ghost about the rape of Africa.

Also in fiction, Matterhorn, about Vietnam. Karl Marlantes. Super great.

King Leopold's Ghost seems really interesting. Thanks!
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    eddiec wrote:
    Fiction- For Whom the Bell Tolls. Hemingway at his best.

Non-fiction- Shadow Divers. I'm not a diver but this was an amazing book about a WW2 submarine off
    the coast of NJ.

Fast Food Nation. You'll never eat processed food again.

Haven't read Fast Food Nation although I heard a lot about it. A similar book (I think) or the same genre at least...is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, also about food and how it's processed. Really makes you aware of the food you put in your system and where it comes from. Thanks for the recommendations :)
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    "The Basketball Diaries" by Jim Carroll is a great book. It chronicles his teenage years as a drug addict, high school basketball star, poet and male hustler in the 1960s in New York City. I read it when I was 15, and since I wasn't planning on becoming a drug addict or a male hustler, it was nice to live surreptitiously through the author!

The book is much better then the movie!

The next book I plan on reading is the owners manual/assembly instructions from our new Weber BBQ......I hear the ending is very smokey and delicious! :)