1 Year Old on a Plane

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Question for the Parents out there that have taken flights with a 1 year old

Did you get the 1 year old a seat or just keep the baby on your lap ?

We will be flying to Florida in August it's a little over 2 hrs not sure if we should get her a seat or not

Airfare is getting really high so that might sway my decision
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    At 1, we did lap... Make sure you bring (or these days buy after going through security) lots of liquids to keep ears clear or all hell will break loose :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Agree with BD, make sure you have drinks for them when taking off and landing.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    At 1, we did lap... Make sure you bring (or these days buy after going through security) lots of liquids to keep ears clear or all hell will break loose :lol:

Is that for the ear popping issue ?

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107

Oh for sure... You want to make sure they are swallowing on the way up and down or their little ears won't pop and the pain can be severe (and the crying monumental)...
    GoiMTvP.gif

Oh for sure... You want to make sure they are swallowing on the way up and down or their little ears won't pop and the pain can be severe (and the crying monumental)...

Maybe I should fly seperate from my wife and the baby :lol:

I dont wanna be "that guy" with the screaming baby for 2 hrs

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just check em.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    just check em.

cage_baby.jpg

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,837
    We just got back from a trip to Florida with our 11-month-old babygirl on Saturday. We did the lap thing, and it worked out just fine. I give her an 8 out of 10 on the way down (10 being if she slept from takeoff to landing and 1 being if she screamed the whole flight) -- she fussed a bit. And I give her a 10 out of 10 (!!!) on the way back up -- slept the whole time.

If your gal is still nursing at that point (if she nurses at all), make sure she does that during takeoff and landing for her ears. If she's not nursing, give her a bottle or a pacifier for take off and landing, and try to make sure she sucks on whatever you give her for her ears. If she gets a cold around flight time, have the ped check her ears to make sure she'll be OK for flying.

My wife was very leery because it's safer to buy them their own seat, but everything went well. My thing is, I'm pretty sure even if you buy a seat, the baby is going to wind up in someone's lap for most of the flight just for comfort.

P.S. -- Mike Richards is a little bitch!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    just check em.

:lol::lol:

Coming from the smoking toddler. :P
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    The wife was looking into one of these

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i always nurse during takeoff and landing :)

we bought my 8 month old a seat... and have bought him another for the trip when he's 20months in May

on the lap seems risky... and luckily we could afford it
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258

we bought my 8 month old a seat... and have bought him another for the trip when he's 20months in May

Nurse what your Bud can :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    what's the risk of a baby on the lap? besides having a kid on your lap for several hours?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    take out a nipple ...
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Definitely the lap.
  • I did the lap thing last year... my son was 12 months old at the time. It worked fine... like others have said have something to eat/drink during takeoff and landing so as to prevent a headache.

Also, keep a good grip on her the whole time. If you hit really bad turbulence she could end up on the ceiling. That's why a lot of people advocate getting a seat and strapping them in.

That said, I used to fly all the time for work... maybe 300-400 flights in my life... and I've NEVER been on a plane when unexpected turbulence would have caused any problems.

Oh and if anyone gives you grief for having a baby on board, it is ethically acceptable to punch them in the face.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    Oh and if anyone gives you grief for having a baby on board, it is ethically acceptable to punch them in the face.

only if your kid is well behaved. bring a crying brat on the plane and do nothing to silet her, we have the right to kick the mom in the box.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113

I would get the lap.
    This is what my wife and I do with our son...she breast feeds him right before take off and he falls asleep and then sometimes right before landing - or we give him his sippy cup. My son is 13-months old and has been on six flights without a problem.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,837
    My wife reminded me of one more thing -- and this goes whether you lap her or strap her: buy the kid a new toy, and if she won't sleep, introduce it to her on the plane. We got our babygirl this suction cup deal that attaches right to the tray table, and it kept her mind and hands occupied for about half the flight.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Thanks for all the replies !

I was looking at airfare last night..with all of us getting a ticket it will be a $1,000 to fly to Florida

:shock: :o :shock:

So much for saving money with our timeshare

:(

I was looking at airfare last night..with all of us getting a ticket it will be a $1,000 to fly to Florida

im leaving tonight 6pm...paid $280 3 weeks ago :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

Round-Trip?

Which Airline ?

Round-Trip?

jet blue (my favorite)
    roundtrip

jfk to ft lauderdale tues-sunday

and like i said i did it kinda late (3 weeks ago)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Always on the lap for us. I had great fun taking ours on planes as I was always the one that carried them on. I'd deliberately slow down near an empty seat and see the look of horror on their faces. "Oh my God we're going to have a baby next to us for 4 hours" :o And then I'd get going again knowing the expressions of relief I'd left behind.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    nuffingman wrote:
    Always on the lap for us. I had great fun taking ours on planes as I was always the one that carried them on. I'd deliberately slow down near an empty seat and see the look of horror on their faces. "Oh my God we're going to have a baby next to us for 4 hours" :o And then I'd get going again knowing the expressions of relief I'd left behind.

Haha - I'll have to try this out. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    The Pain in the ears comes from Booga build-up.
    The pain is excruciating.
    I didn't even know I had a "head cold" until I wanted to rip my own head off, while we were landing.

It's only a shortish plane trip, Bubby will be most comfortable sharing your laps. Cuddles always works.
    But get Bubby to chew/suck a lolly on decent into landing, the chewing motion makes them swallow and keeps their ears/head popped. :D

and a sense of humour, pack lots of that.

Happy travels.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    So far it seems like if we the parents stay calm and cool that the little guy might follow suit.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

yeah i dropped $1500 last may... then prices dropped so i called JetBlue and got a $500 voucher which we're using this may

does anyone think a time share is a good deal?? i've heard more bad stories than good
    nuffingman wrote:

WINNING! ;)
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    Question for the Parents out there that have taken flights with a 1 year old

Did you get the 1 year old a seat or just keep the baby on your lap ?

We will be flying to Florida in August it's a little over 2 hrs not sure if we should get her a seat or not

Airfare is getting really high so that might sway my decision

Your child can sit on your lap until 2 years then you have to buy a separate seat for her...between the two parents, you should be able to keep her occupied AND save money on not buying a 3rd seat. If you were going on a long flight, it may be worth it, but I usually recommend to my clients to have the child sit on the parent's lap.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln