I need video game suggestions.

2»

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I havent played the last 2 you mentioned.

Red Dead would be a good choice. Undead Nightmare is a good add-on, but Im not sure how I would feel about it if I played it first without going through the main game. i would suggest playing the regular game, then the undead nightmare. The game serves as a good tutorial... and it is one of the best story lines of any video game I have played and better than 95% of modern movies I have seen.

There are numerous challenges and stuff on single player. Multi player has other challenges either with co-op, against 'computer' characters and animals, or against players. There are a ton of different online modes and it is still pretty active. There is a ton of playing time in this game and IMO it doesnt get boring or too repetitive.
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    Does Undead Nightmare require the main game first, in order to be "added-on"? (Sorry - you can tell this isn't really my forte.)

I'm thinking I may just go with Red Dead Redemption. My plan is to piss away the better part of a week, and I think a good storyline with plenty of side-games would be my best option.
  • skippybrew wrote:
    Does Undead Nightmare require the main game first, in order to be "added-on"? (Sorry - you can tell this isn't really my forte.)

I'm thinking I may just go with Red Dead Redemption. My plan is to piss away the better part of a week, and I think a good storyline with plenty of side-games would be my best option.

Undead Nightmare is a stand-alone game, so you don't need the first. You can certainly waste plenty of time on RDR, as there is a ton of stuff to do in it.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    skippybrew wrote:

Red Dead Redemption has been rated one of the best games of 2010. It would easily keep you busy for a week. Watch Zero Punctuation!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I'd get the original Red Dead Redemption before getting Undead Nightmare as it's sort of a continuation / middle of Red Dead type story.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I think you need the original. I would recommend getting the pack with the game and both add ons. I think there might be a game of the year addition cheaper than brand new games.
    Word. :thumbup:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Kraven wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Killzone was awful, sorry ;)

AVP was fun to play, Gran Turismo 5 is out and decent.

And as already suggested, Uncharted 1 & 2 and Mass Effect 2 are great games.

Killzone 1 maybe, but Killzone 2 has a 90% on gamerankings.com, certainly a better choice than AVP which has a 67%
    o·ver·rate (vr-rt)
    tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
    To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Graphics don't make a game. AVP was fun, Killzone 2 was a gorgeous steaming dog turd.
    Rygar wrote:
    gorgeous steaming dog turd.
    I might just have to start a band so I can name it this. Or at least name a song. 8-)
    Yes. So I got Red Dead Redemption and played until my head hurt, my friends thought I hated them and my apartment was a mess. Even my dreams were completely saturated... (All told, 1 day 7 hr 48 min 22 sec with 83.3 % complete at the end of the story.)

Verdict: AWESOME. Amazing game! Good storyline, beautiful scenery, well written.

I have to say, though, I thought the ending was a little anticlimactic. I works for the story but not so much for a video game. Still, all in all, pretty badass.

Now (*sigh*) back to school on Monday. Of course I do have the weekend. Maybe I'll get the Undead Nightmare and see what kind of a dent I can make in it...
  • A few weeks ago I was sick for a couple days, and when I slept I had constant RDR dreams.
    In Digitized Remorse
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Crysis 2 is supposed to run great on the consoles. I had low expectations for the game since the first game is still used as a benchmark to test a PC's speed, but the reviews claim it runs and looks great on the 360. I should have a copy waiting for me in the mail tonight and I'm looking forward playing the lengthy campaign.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Jason P wrote:
    Crysis 2 is supposed to run great on the consoles. I had low expectations for the game since the first game is still used as a benchmark to test a PC's speed, but the reviews claim it runs and looks great on the 360. I should have a copy waiting for me in the mail tonight and I'm looking forward playing the lengthy campaign.

commrecials looked good for this Crysis 2. let us know how it is.

I got Just Cause2 a few weeks back because I like to just wander around open games. Controls suck, but its an alright game.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote:

commrecials looked good for this Crysis 2. let us know how it is.

I got Just Cause2 a few weeks back because I like to just wander around open games. Controls suck, but its an alright game.
    I was able to squeeze 3-5 hours of playtime on Crysis 2 between the NCAA tournament this weekend and my initial thoughts on the game are quite good. The graphics of course look great, but on par with Halo and COD series. The lighting is done very well. My biggest problem with some shooters has been gameplay ... I think COD has fallen into a rut with their formulaic check-point / scripted type of combat. The good thing about Crysis is that although the missions have linear objectives, the maps are wide open and it allows for many different options and strategies. The "suit" that the character wears is awesome and has many hidden surprises that allow you to change tactics as the game progresses. The difficulty is higher then most games in the genre. I started at veteran and quickly switched to normal. Once I start to learn the suit, I may switch it back.

In the tradition of COD series, the plot (at least at this point) doesn't make a lick of sense, but it hasn't kept me from enjoying the game.

I'm to the point that I don't like spending $60 on a release game and usually wait for it to drop 6 months later but I don't think you will feel ripped off with this title.