I need video game suggestions.

skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I took spring break off work which means a week full of NOTHING. I'm stoked.

I'm not much of a gamer but I recently got a PS3 and a brand new LCD TV. I'm looking for something I can sit on the couch and play (probably in a mostly drunken haze) for about 4 days straight.

To give some idea what I like: the last game I played with any real dedication was Resistance: Fall of Man, but FPS's tend to be pretty hit and miss with me (it helps if I'm killing aliens/monsters instead of people - I find it hard to distinguish between good guys and bad guys). Before that was some Zelda-esque Dungeons & Dragons thing on a PS2... And before that was probably Zelda itself on SNES... I like puzzley games (almost more than shooty games) but a storyline would help for a stretch.

It should be obvious, but I'll point out, I'm not all that good at video games. But once in a while it's nice to get all cracked out on something simple.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    Uncharted 2.
  • For a FPS:

Borderlands

Non-FPS:

Darksiders.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Bayonetta.

Dead Space, 1 & 2.

3D Dot Game Heroes.

Uncharted 1 & 2.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Dragons Age and Dragons Age 2 which comes out Tuesday.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,601
    tecmo bowl
    www.myspace.com
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    Red Dead Redemption - it's fun to play and will be STUNNING to watch on your new T.V. Trust me on this, it's a great game.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    edited March 2011
    tecmo bowl

Can I buy you a beer?
    Post edited by Break The Sky on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    If you want really good suggestions and reviews of video games, check Zero Punctuation It's entertaining and informative.
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    Wow, that was quick. Thanks, all.

I've thought about Red Dead Redemption, but I have GTA IV (which I like). Is it not essentially the same game in cowboy hats? It does seem right up my alley though.

The "Uncharted" ones seem promising...

Evil Merlin: thanks for the list. I'll have to check those out when I have more time.

I'll also check out Zero Punctuation.

Right on.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    You can't go wrong with Red Dead Redemption :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    arq wrote:

The game play may be styled the same as GTA, but the storyline and scenery are fantastic.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    tecmo bowl

Hail Mary pass to Jerry Rice....it never fails.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    morgie2 wrote:
    arq wrote:

The game play may be styled the same as GTA, but the storyline and scenery are fantastic.

Agreed, it was just named Game of the Year at the VGAs on Spike a couple months ago.

Plus, after you finish the story you can get online and play with friends / posse up. You can get online before playing single player of course but it's good to get used to the controls and whatnot.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Duck Hunt, Zelda, Mario Brothers. (Sorry, that's as far as I got in my gaming) I still play them.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Blades of Steel

or NHL 97

take your pick, i'll smoke you at either
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    Dead Space 1 and 2. God Of War. Resistance 1 and 2.
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Mass Effect 2!

Best game of last year imo and just came out for the PS3. Seeing as 1 never came out on PS3 it walks you through the events of the first one.

Killzone 2 and I think 3 just came out. Good ole alien killing

3D Dot Game Heroes is a direct rip off of Zelda, so if you like Zelda definitely get that.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    International Cricket 2010
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Ditch the ps3, get a N64, take acid and play Zelda for 8 hours straight..... Flash back!
    I'll be back
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Kraven wrote:
    Mass Effect 2!

Best game of last year imo and just came out for the PS3. Seeing as 1 never came out on PS3 it walks you through the events of the first one.

Killzone 2 and I think 3 just came out. Good ole alien killing

3D Dot Game Heroes is a direct rip off of Zelda, so if you like Zelda definitely get that.
    Killzone was awful, sorry ;)

AVP was fun to play, Gran Turismo 5 is out and decent.

And as already suggested, Uncharted 1 & 2 and Mass Effect 2 are great games.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I would check out these "older" games which you can pick up for under $30 on Amazon. They will be new to you and they are all very good. Plus, after you get done with these games, the new $60 games will be under $30. :thumbup:

Bioshock
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Demons Soul (if you like old-school hard games)
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    God of War 3
    Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion
  • Add me to the list of those suggesting Uncharted 2.

I have played every A+ game on every system ever made and Uncharted 2 just might be the best game I've ever played when taking the big three elements (story, graphics, & gameplay) into account.

Plus the "Game of the Year" Edition just went to the Greatest Hits line which means it's only $30! And you can make the game as easy or hard as you want it due to many different difficulty settings.
  • kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358
    81 wrote:
    Blades of Steel

or NHL 97

take your pick, i'll smoke you at either
    be a man and play nhl '94

get black ops. you won't put it down.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    I would check out these "older" games which you can pick up for under $30 on Amazon. They will be new to you and they are all very good. Plus, after you get done with these games, the new $60 games will be under $30. :thumbup:

Bioshock
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Demons Soul (if you like old-school hard games)
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    God of War 3
    Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion
    Street Fighter would get my vote if it didn't have a last boss! Fuck that!

Batman is awesome, forgot about that one.
    get black ops. you won't put it down.
    I'd recommend Bad Company 2 before COD.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I dont play too many games, but the last two were Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption. Both were awesome!
    But if you intend on plaiyng in a drunken haze, I can identify, and Red Dead is awesome for this! 8-)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    There's always Rock Band 3...
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    iamica wrote:
    There's always Rock Band 3...

I think I just threw up a little bit :sick:
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Rygar wrote:

Killzone 1 maybe, but Killzone 2 has a 90% on gamerankings.com, certainly a better choice than AVP which has a 67%
    32 shows and counting...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Kraven wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Killzone 1 maybe, but Killzone 2 has a 90% on gamerankings.com, certainly a better choice than AVP which has a 67%
    I liked Killzone 2 but hated the PS3 controller as it's very hard to zoom in and out when aiming.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Red Dead Redemption was very good.

Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    Crimony... I'm way out of the loop. I actually thought about going with an N64 or something, but I also needed a DVD/Bluray player. Now I have to relearn everything.

I'm leaning toward Red Dead - does anyone have any thoughts about the Undead Nightmare (whatever it's called)? I do enjoy killing zombies, but is the game itself as good?

My other top 3 at this point are Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2. I know they're different but is there an obvious favorite? And what about the controls?