Most miserable sports cities

Comments

• blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    pandora wrote:
    poor buffalo...

i always thought atlanta was the worst sports city in the country.
    hopefully the Falcons can bring it next year... I was very proud of them this past season :D
    loves me some micheal vick!!!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    eddiec wrote:
    If you've lived in New York and rooted for the Mets (2 titles in 49 years), Jets (1 in 45), Rangers (1 in 70 years), you might be kind of unhappy..

:lol: But not if you're a Yankees and Giants fan. And the Rangers win was worth all the painful years.
    the waiting is over and this one will last a lifetime- sam rosen

funny how that will probably turn out to be true for fans of the rangers who were old enough in 94

islanders fan have it worst in ny. no playoff series wins since 94, fishsticks logo, super t for kirk muller, dippy for basically lunogo, yashin for spezza, peca for conolly and jp dumont, bertuzzi for trevor linden. lets not even get into the piss poor ownership or the coaches that have come and gone. thankfully long island is part of ny cause if it wasn't it def be the worst sports town behind Buffalo and Cleveland.

i really don't see how Seattle is the worst sports town. i wouldn't even put Seattle in this list.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.
    I see your Cleveland and raise you one Toronto.

I think Toronto should be well a head of a few of those Cities...considering we have 5 Major teams an all of them are complete shit...

Blue Jays Last in the playoffs in 93 (World Series)
    Maple Leafs last in the playoffs in 2004 (before the lockout and have not won the Cup since 67)
    Raptors (One division title in their entire existence and only 2 playoff round wins ever)
    Toronto FC Have still never made the playoffs since their inception
    Toronto Argos (the CFL is a joke and is embarrassing in its own right)

Find a worse city.

Toronto is a very cool city but darn expensive. I saw an Argos game there and a Blue Jays game at Sky Dome at the time. I don't think they are the worst as yet in that they have won 2 World Series back to back and for each I give them 10 years leeway. So that means to me you have till 2013 to win something. Toronto is doing just fine now Atlanta and Cleveland is another story.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Born and raised in Cleveland. Die hard Cleveland sports fan. Not only do our teams suck now. When they were good, each sport debacle actually has a name. I won't even say them. When ever we are on national TV they always bring them up. Not to mention that the Cuyahoga river that drains into Lake Erie caught on fire. Give it up broadcasters that was almost 50 EFFIN years ago. Lots of people lost interest in football when they took are Browns and moved them to Baltimore. Atleast I got to see them when they were pretty good. Atleast when PJ strolls thru here,(which they usaully do) its usually a good show! Seen wash as an opener and indifference as a closer at this years show!
    Gund Arena - Apr 25, 2003
    Quicken Loans Arena - May 20, 2006
    Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007
    Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Nationwide Arena - May 06, 2010
    Quicken Loans Arena - May 09, 2010
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Born and raised in Cleveland. Die hard Cleveland sports fan. Not only do our teams suck now. When they were good, each sport debacle actually has a name. I won't even say them. When ever we are on national TV they always bring them up. Not to mention that the Cuyahoga river that drains into Lake Erie caught on fire. Give it up broadcasters that was almost 50 EFFIN years ago. Lots of people lost interest in football when they took are Browns and moved them to Baltimore. Atleast I got to see them when they were pretty good. Atleast when PJ strolls thru here,(which they usaully do) its usually a good show! Seen wash as an opener and indifference as a closer at this years show!

hehe

the drive
    the fumble
    the decision
    the gnats
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Its Buffalo and Cleveland. End of conversation. Buffalo, zero championships. Cleveland, no championships for pretty much a generation ('48? '54?). Both have great fan bases of their teams who are VERY emotionally tied in to their teams. Both cities have experienced maddening close calls and losses... along with long periods of futility. Like was mentioned. Both cities have nicknames for their sports disasters

Seattle is a 3rd. Seattle has a lot more going for it overall than Cleveland and Buffalo.

I would say Philly 4th despite the Phillies just winning it.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    metsfan wrote:
    islanders fan have it worst in ny. no playoff series wins since 94, fishsticks logo, super t for kirk muller, dippy for basically lunogo, yashin for spezza, peca for conolly and jp dumont, bertuzzi for trevor linden. lets not even get into the piss poor ownership or the coaches that have come and gone. thankfully long island is part of ny cause if it wasn't it def be the worst sports town behind Buffalo and Cleveland.

Maybe...but you did have one of the greatest dynasties to have ever graced the ice. Not many cities can say that. And you would have won a 5th if not for Gretzky and Co. It has been a tough 25 years since, but those achievements of the 80's put it nowhere on the list.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    poor buffalo...

Hey, we're proud of what we have. We're nobody's sob story. You can't keep a good city down and we're a good city. You can make all the superbowl jokes you want, but we know how to have fun here. Just a few weeks back I went turkey bowling in front of HSBC arena during the Labatt Blue pond hockey tournament. We have a great hockey team and the best Lax team in the NLL. There's no where else on earth I'd rather live, and there are no other sports teams I'd rather cheer for.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    buffalo.

that is one of the most depressing places you can visit.

as a fan of the dallas stars and dallas cowboys it is awesome to remind them about what losers they really are every time i'm in buffalo.
  • Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

At least in Seattle, San Diego, and Phoenix, you have a ton a fun shit to do and see and take your mind off sports.

:-?

Have you ever been to Phoenix?
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    buffalo.

as a fan of the dallas stars and dallas cowboys it is awesome to remind them about what losers they really are every time i'm in buffalo.

its nice going to a Bills game for $25 and not getting charged $100 for a pizza though.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    buffalo.

its nice going to a Bills game for $25 and not getting charged $100 for a pizza though.

And if he's like 85% of the population of Dallas, he spends about $1300 a game on pizza.
    I dont want to dump on Dallas because I have never been there.

Sports-wise, yes. We are their bitches due to Super Bowls XXVI and XXVII and the 99 Cup Finals. I can admit that.

Downtown Buffalo is in shambles. There are some niches in there that are awesome, but you have to either dig or know where to go. The drive from the airport to downtown is horrific looking.

Like I said though, there are great spots in Buffalo and people normally are known for being friendly. The surrounding areas are great. Everything you want is within a reasonable drive. You also dont have to put up with gridlocked traffic.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,995
    cleveland? detroit? oakland? buffalo? and for a looooooooooooooooooong time would have been N.O and Tampa.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I would say the Red Wings would eliminate Detroit. Also the lack of near misses. Plus the Tigers won in the '80's, right? And the Pistons won a bunch.

If your looking at historically worst NFL franchises, the Lions would unfortunately be up there.

Oakland has some Super Bowls, and the A's won some World Series that I remember.
  • Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    I can say the Toronto is not miserable sport city even though no championship in a long time for anyone.
    Gibson1972
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,610
    Big Drop wrote:
    poor buffalo...

Hey, we're proud of what we have. We're nobody's sob story. You can't keep a good city down and we're a good city. You can make all the superbowl jokes you want, but we know how to have fun here. Just a few weeks back I went turkey bowling in front of HSBC arena during the Labatt Blue pond hockey tournament. We have a great hockey team and the best Lax team in the NLL. There's no where else on earth I'd rather live, and there are no other sports teams I'd rather cheer for.

you, sir, are a great american. :clap:
    www.myspace.com
    mickeyrat wrote:
    cleveland? detroit? oakland? buffalo? and for a looooooooooooooooooong time would have been N.O and Tampa.
    but those cities have all won, buffalo hasn't won anything in pro sports. all they have done is won a AFL championship in 64 and 65 and a buncha indoor lacrosse titles and a few minor league baseball titles and a womens second division soccer title. thats just flat out sad and yet buffalonians are the most loyal fanbase you will ever come across.

eddiec wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Maybe...but you did have one of the greatest dynasties to have ever graced the ice. Not many cities can say that. And you would have won a 5th if not for Gretzky and Co. It has been a tough 25 years since, but those achievements of the 80's put it nowhere on the list.
    i didn't say on this list i said in ny. would you like me to bold those parts or no?

Big Drop wrote:
    that just shits on any tailgating i've ever seen or read about

• Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

I think Toronto should be well a head of a few of those Cities...considering we have 5 Major teams an all of them are complete shit...

Maple Leafs last in the playoffs in 2004 (before the lockout and have not won the Cup since 67)
    Raptors (One division title in their entire existence and only 2 playoff round wins ever)

Find a worse city.

I forgot to mention, you're not allowed to tailgate AT ALL in Toronto...Your move, Cleveland.
    metsfan wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    but those cities have all won, buffalo hasn't won anything in pro sports. all they have done is won a AFL championship in 64 and 65 and a buncha indoor lacrosse titles and a few minor league baseball titles and a womens second division soccer title. thats just flat out sad and yet buffalonians are the most loyal fanbase you will ever come across.

That's a very kind thing for you to say, and I appreciate it.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I would say the Red Wings would eliminate Detroit. Also the lack of near misses. Plus the Tigers won in the '80's, right? And the Pistons won a bunch.

If your looking at historically worst NFL franchises, the Lions would unfortunately be up there.

Oakland has some Super Bowls, and the A's won some World Series that I remember.
    I understand that the Red Wings are looking to build a new arena because The Joe is running out of space to hang all their championship banners. 8-)
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    buffalo.

And if he's like 85% of the population of Dallas, he spends about $1300 a game on pizza.

i don't live in dallas. ;)

although i love going there.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I think the teams at top of the list should be major league cities (cities with teams in all 4 major sports). A city like buffalo is AA as they only have the sabres and bills. Cities like Washington DC and Phoenix that have to endure shitty teams in 4 sports would be far worse to live in if you ask me.

I know this as I grew up in philadelphia. The phils in '08 were the only team I was old enough to enjoy -- sixers in '83 I was 5, which I don't remember at all. So if you took the 4 philly teams seasons from '87, which is when I feel I was old enough to have a clue what was going on, to '08, that adds up to approximately 80 straight seasons of losing sports in philly. Not good times. God bless the '08 phils.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    metsfan wrote:
    eddiec wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

i didn't say on this list i said in ny. would you like me to bold those parts or no?

All i'm pointing out is that the Isles have a lot of history. Many of the cities on the list have had some success but nothing like the Isles. The list looks at many decades. So you can't complain about the isles if you are talking about the last 70 years or so.

No, no need to put those points in bold.
  • Jim TresselJim Tressel Posts: 133
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

Find a worse city.

I forgot to mention, you're not allowed to tailgate AT ALL in Toronto...Your move, Cleveland.

You said it in your own post. Toronto won 2 World Series in the last couple decades. The Browns won in 64. The Indians in 48 and the Cavs never. Plus add in the heartbreak like 97 Series, The Drive, LeQuit, etc.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i don't live in dallas. ;)

although i love going there.[/quote]
    fraudulent
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    A quick refresher on Buffalo:

OJ Simpson

Buffalo Braves NBA team leaves town (now the Clippers)

Bills never beating the Dolphins in the '70's

Bills not beating the Patriots in most of the 2000's

Ronnie Harmon dropping a soft pass right in his chest with no time left in the end zone to lose a playoff game to the Browns in 1989

It looked like Buffalo was going to be awarded an MLB expansion franchise. a lot of excitement, the Bisons drew millions per season, and Bob Rich pulled the plug at the last moment and that team was awarded to Denver.

Wide Right.... into....

4 Straight Super Bowl Losses

'no Goal' to lose the 99 Cup Finals

the playoff goal in 2000 where the puck went through the side of the net obviously, it was called a goal and never reviewed

Music City Miracle (a team that was a real possibility to go to another Superbowl)

Owner of the Sabres head of Adelphia gets thrown in Federal prison and almost cripples the Sabres' existence.

Dominik Hasek leaves under questionable terms and wins a cup with Detroit

in 2004 the Bills could break a playoff drought by winning the final game against Pittsburgh who was resting all their starters and even 2nd stringers. The Bills got smoked.

2006 Stanley Cup playoffs. The road gets paved. Only Carolina and Edmonton are in the way. The Sabres' top 4 defensemen go down in the Conference Final including our top defenseman Jay McKee, who, get this: Got a staph infection from dirty shin pads. Even then, the Sabres had a lead going into the 3rd in Game 7 and blew it.

July 1, 2007 the Sabres lose both Captains Drury and Briere to free agency due to meddlesome ownership issues. (followed by maybe 4 other fan favorites)

Lost our Winter Classic by a shootout

That ridiculous Monday Night football loss a few years ago to Dallas

We also have to live under the constant threat of our teams being relocated. The Sabres seems safe now, but I give the Bills a 50/50 shot of being in town come the end of the Mayan Long Count

not to mention I am an Indians fan too, so I share all that anguish.
    edited March 2011
    MayDay10 wrote:
    That ridiculous Monday Night football loss a few years ago to Dallas

i was at that game.

i don't think i will see a more crazy game in my lifetime.

those last few minutes will always be cemented in my brain. i have never hugged my dad that much and so many other random men in my life. :lol:
    Post edited by dCowboyPJ on