Most miserable sports cities

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    If you're a sports fan it would definitely suck to be in one of those cities. But it depends a lot on the sport and that poll considers the whole history of the city's teams not particular eras.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    The more miserable the situation shows just how loyal the fan is :D
    (easy to be a fan of a team that wins most of the time)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

At least in Seattle, San Diego, and Phoenix, you have a ton a fun shit to do and see and take your mind off sports.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

At least in Seattle, San Diego, and Phoenix, you have a ton a fun shit to do and see and take your mind off sports.

What you talkin bout...Cleveland is beautiful....don't you still have that Formula One Auto race there and of course The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

pandora wrote:

Growing up Boston in the early 70's the Patriots were beyond lousy Jim Plunkett, Sam Cunningham, Randy Vataha etc and it was STILL my pleasure to love that team even though they stunk like a skunk.

So in later years when the Patriots reached some success it was that much sweeter. One becomes fruadulent when you give up on your team through the thin times, that's the time to stick with them even more.

Nice thread and link loved that Championship Seatle Supersonics team but they're now gone...Golden State Warriors won a championship but at least they stayed put.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    g under p wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

What you talkin bout...Cleveland is beautiful....don't you still have that Formula One Auto race there and of course The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?

Peace

yes. NFL HOF is right around the corner, as is Cedar Point. You have the Lake as well. you don't have the mountains, but there is still stuff to do.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    It's too bad they didn't include a few Canadian cities, the fans up here are pretty bad. Lots of bandwagon fans in Vancouver. We're first in the NHL, have 3 of the top 5 leading scorers and the fans still find fault with the team saying we need a 4th line center to win a cup. Right! Yesterday during the trade deadline a fake trade was created by a fake account on Twitter sending a player to Vancouver, so many bandwagon fans jumped on the Canucks board that the server broke. There might have been 100 people on before the "trade" and about 1000 people jumped on 5 minutes after the trade. Amazing.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    g under p wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Growing up Boston in the early 70's the Patriots were beyond lousy Jim Plunkett, Sam Cunningham, Randy Vataha etc and it was STILL my pleasure to love that team even though they stunk like a skunk.

So in later years when the Patriots reached some success it was that much sweeter. One becomes fruadulent when you give up on your team through the thin times, that's the time to stick with them even more.

Nice thread and link loved that Championship Seatle Supersonics team but they're now gone...Golden State Warriors won a championship but at least they stayed put.

Peace
    I agree, whether my team sucks for a decade or has reached their heyday, a true fan sticks with them! :D
    g under p wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

Peace
    I'm not even from Cleveland but I think a miserable sports city also needs miserable weather to bond the fans. Plus, Cleveland has taken some of the all-time bad-beats in football playoffs. You factor in the Indians and the fact that a once-in-a-lifetime home-grown sports prodigy left for the warm sands of South Beach and I don't see how things could get much worse.

Also, I don't think F1 races at any American venues anymore since the Indy tire debacle. Cedar Pointe is closed in the winter and how many times can you go to a hall of fame before its appeal wears off. These people need sports to fill their lives in the winter and they are stuck with the Browns and Cavs. :(
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    It's too bad they didn't include a few Canadian cities, the fans up here are pretty bad. Lots of bandwagon fans in Vancouver. We're first in the NHL, have 3 of the top 5 leading scorers and the fans still find fault with the team saying we need a 4th line center to win a cup. Right! Yesterday during the trade deadline a fake trade was created by a fake account on Twitter sending a player to Vancouver, so many bandwagon fans jumped on the Canucks board that the server broke. There might have been 100 people on before the "trade" and about 1000 people jumped on 5 minutes after the trade. Amazing.

how's the blueline looking?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I agree, whether my team sucks for a decade or has reached their heyday, a true fan sticks with them! :D
    :clap: and our day will come! :D
    81 wrote:
    VoidOfMan wrote:

how's the blueline looking?

Hamhuis and Ballard are back from injuries, Bieksa should be back in a couple weeks, (fractured foot from last week.) Alberts might be back for the playoffs (broken wrist) and Edler might not return because of back surgery. And I think there are 2 other Moose players injured too. Ran into some bad luck the past couple weeks, at least Salo came back.
    Jason P wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

Peace
    I'm not even from Cleveland but I think a miserable sports city also needs miserable weather to bond the fans. Plus, Cleveland has taken some of the all-time bad-beats in football playoffs. You factor in the Indians and the fact that a once-in-a-lifetime home-grown sports prodigy left for the warm sands of South Beach and I don't see how things could get much worse.

Also, I don't think F1 races at any American venues anymore since the Indy tire debacle. Cedar Pointe is closed in the winter and how many times can you go to a hall of fame before its appeal wears off. These people need sports to fill their lives in the winter and they are stuck with the Browns and Cavs. :(

You are correct things in Cleveland sports has gone from bad to worser if that's a word. I really thought that LJ guy was going to stay put but instead he brought his talents down here and stirring up the fans. Again Cleveland has had it very bad but I didlove to visit that city every Christmas a few years ago it was always white and cold around that time. :D

Peace

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    VoidOfMan wrote:

I would like to see the cup return to Canada someday and Vancouver really seems like our best hope in quite sometime. So I am pulling for your team, hopefully Luongo can have a strong playoff run.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,610
    poor buffalo...

i always thought atlanta was the worst sports city in the country.
    www.myspace.com
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Just wait and see what happens when Detroit overtakes you in the standings in few weeks ;) :twisted:
    Jason P wrote:
    Just wait and see what happens when Detroit overtakes you in the standings in few weeks ;) :twisted:

Good job signing Howard for a cheap price, he's amazing.
  • If you've lived in New York and rooted for the Mets (2 titles in 49 years), Jets (1 in 45), Rangers (1 in 70 years), you might be kind of unhappy..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    If you've lived in New York and rooted for the Mets (2 titles in 49 years), Jets (1 in 45), Rangers (1 in 70 years), you might be kind of unhappy..

:lol: But not if you're a Yankees and Giants fan. And the Rangers win was worth all the painful years.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    I have to put Philadelphia up there....especially since I've been living in the area for the last two years. Eagles fans have delusions of grandeur that their team is an elite NFL franchise when they're really a distant 4th in their own division. As for Phillies fans (which I am), I've been disappointed with some of my friends who think that they're entitled to the World Series win every year now. Some said the Phils "choked" against San Francisco this year and were shitting all over Howard for his postseason performance. Me on the other hand, I'm very satisfied with four straight trips to the postseason and have to give San Fran credit.

I'll give Eagles fans one thing though, they're loyal through thick and thin whereas there seem to be a lot of fair-weather Phillies fans who have come out of the woodwork following the 2008 season.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I don't know about miserable, but Red Sox fans are widely known as the most vile, intolerant sacks of violence to grace sports since the days of throwing rocks at gladiators. Stand-up comedian Samm Levine told a not-so-funny story about the time he was at Fenway, and cheered for the away team's grand-slam. He said he stood up and clapped, and was instantly soaking wet as a full beer was thrown at him. He went to turn around as if to say "real nice" when he felt a horrible pain in his back. He looked down to see a C-size battery at his feet. The person sitting behind him says "The beer didn't come from the same place as the battery, you might want to sit down." Assholes like that could have hurt or killed a person with a fucking cheap stunt like that. So much for just being a game, and way to raise the bar on the term "sore loser", Red Sox fans!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
    Woooody wrote:
    I don't know about miserable, but Red Sox fans are widely known as the most vile, intolerant sacks of violence to grace sports since the days of throwing rocks at gladiators. Stand-up comedian Samm Levine told a not-so-funny story about the time he was at Fenway, and cheered for the away team's grand-slam. He said he stood up and clapped, and was instantly soaking wet as a full beer was thrown at him. He went to turn around as if to say "real nice" when he felt a horrible pain in his back. He looked down to see a C-size battery at his feet. The person sitting behind him says "The beer didn't come from the same place as the battery, you might want to sit down." Assholes like that could have hurt or killed a person with a fucking cheap stunt like that. So much for just being a game, and way to raise the bar on the term "sore loser", Red Sox fans!

rumor has it, don't sit in teh bleachers at wrigley and cheer for the visitor.

don't go to a Raiders game. period.

as much as i enjoy and follow sports, people take it way to serious.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Woooody wrote:
    I don't know about miserable, but Red Sox fans are widely known as the most vile, intolerant sacks of violence to grace sports since the days of throwing rocks at gladiators. Stand-up comedian Samm Levine told a not-so-funny story about the time he was at Fenway, and cheered for the away team's grand-slam. He said he stood up and clapped, and was instantly soaking wet as a full beer was thrown at him. He went to turn around as if to say "real nice" when he felt a horrible pain in his back. He looked down to see a C-size battery at his feet. The person sitting behind him says "The beer didn't come from the same place as the battery, you might want to sit down." Assholes like that could have hurt or killed a person with a fucking cheap stunt like that. So much for just being a game, and way to raise the bar on the term "sore loser", Red Sox fans!

don't go to a Raiders game. period.

as much as i enjoy and follow sports, people take it way to serious.
    In my experience in attending live sports, I worry most about fans when east coast teams are in town. Not to say all fan bases don't have idiots, but I think most of you would agree with that statement.
  • tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

exactly. Cleveland is the worst!
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    pandora wrote:

Tell me about it, I've been a Phillies fan for many, many years and the success of the last few years has been awesome. It's such a difference going to games, watching games. It's still painful at times though. Odd as that may sound :lol:

But boy was it hard to watch sometimes.

but I never stopped loving them :D
  • Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.
    I see your Cleveland and raise you one Toronto.

I think Toronto should be well a head of a few of those Cities...considering we have 5 Major teams an all of them are complete shit...

Blue Jays Last in the playoffs in 93 (World Series)
    Maple Leafs last in the playoffs in 2004 (before the lockout and have not won the Cup since 67)
    Raptors (One division title in their entire existence and only 2 playoff round wins ever)
    Toronto FC Have still never made the playoffs since their inception
    Toronto Argos (the CFL is a joke and is embarrassing in its own right)

Find a worse city.
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.
    I see your Cleveland and raise you one Toronto.

I think Toronto should be well a head of a few of those Cities...considering we have 5 Major teams an all of them are complete shit...

Blue Jays Last in the playoffs in 93 (World Series)
    Maple Leafs last in the playoffs in 2004 (before the lockout and have not won the Cup since 67)
    Raptors (One division title in their entire existence and only 2 playoff round wins ever)
    Toronto FC Have still never made the playoffs since their inception
    Toronto Argos (the CFL is a joke and is embarrassing in its own right)

Find a worse city.
    At least the Leafs have cool jerseys :)

You make some solid points. You forgot to add that you get NFL sloppy-seconds from the Bills. :o:sick:
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited March 2011
    81 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Nobody tops Cleveland.

Peace

yes. NFL HOF is right around the corner, as is Cedar Point. You have the Lake as well. you don't have the mountains, but there is still stuff to do.

went to cleveland for the PJ show last year. talk about a desolate place.

the Q arena was sweet...the rest of the city, not so much
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    Woooody wrote:

I did this. kerry wood pitched for the cubs and the phils lit his ass up (abreu hit a GS off him). wood was pulled after the GS and we gave him a standing ovation. people hit us with some peanuts and that was it. by the end of the game cubs fans were coming up to us and telling us we were crazy for wearing phils gear. nothing happened though, people were cool. chicago is great, I love that city
    poor buffalo...

i always thought atlanta was the worst sports city in the country.
    hopefully the Falcons can bring it next year... I was very proud of them this past season :D