Tell me If I am being unreasonable.

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Here's the lowdown and it may be a bit long, not sure yet so sorry.....

In 2006, my sister bought a Ford Fiesta. We have a double car port at home and because her car was new it knocked out my parents second car which was older. Currently her car is worth approximately $10000.

So last Friday I picked up a 2011 Subaru Impreza, for $26660, leather seats, alloy wheels, blue tooth, leather steering wheel, rear parking sensors (never had a ding in my life, a nice little bonus) and now I think it will be fair for my car to get the undercover spot, much like she did in 2006.

SHe has agreed to one week on one week off, but I don't think it is good enough. My car is worth $170000 more than hers. And not to mention, in the event of a car being damaged by not being undercover, her excess is $300 cheaper than if mine were to get damaged.

I can see her side of the argument, she can't even see mine.

Am I being unreasonable?
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Not to sound rude but you bought a $26,000 car and you live with your sister?
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Not rude at all mate. I just turned 25, and am studying full time, had some money saved.

I refuse to rent (because I don't want to pay off some other pricks mortgage). So until such time as I finish my degree I will live at home. Houses are quite expensive in Sydney, you can not get an average house for under $600,000 in and around my area. So that sums up my sis too. She recently finished her degree and is starting to save for her house too.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Can you build another undercover spot of your own? Also, how would the car get damaged by not being under the cover?

Just because her car is worth less cash-wise, doesn't mean it's worth any less to her sentimentally - it could be a shitty $500 car and be worth the world to its owner. I think the compromise she offered is fair.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Not rude at all mate. I just turned 25, and am studying full time, had some money saved.

I refuse to rent (because I don't want to pay off some other pricks mortgage). So until such time as I finish my degree I will live at home. Houses are quite expensive in Sydney, you can not get an average house for under $600,000 in and around my area. So that sums up my sis too. She recently finished her degree and is starting to save for her house too.

Okay, that explains it. I guess you have to come up with some sort of compromise with your sister. If she were to buy a new car next month then what? I would go with the week on/off scenario, probably best your gonna get.
    How can it get damaged? Hail storms, branches etc... plus being exposed in elements, rain causing rust.

Thank you for your in put... Wrong answer though :lol:
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    people and their toys. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    eddiec wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

Okay, that explains it. I guess you have to come up with some sort of compromise with your sister. If she were to buy a new car next month then what? I would go with the week on/off scenario, probably best your gonna get.

I would do the week on/off no dramas if she bought a new car.

What is getting me is that her 'better car' in 2006 knocked out a car worth less using the same argument I am using now. If it was alright then, it should be alright now.

And thanks.... perhaps I am being unreasonable... :(
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    edited March 2011
    pjfan31 wrote:
    her car is worth approximately $10000.

So last Friday I picked up a 2011 Subaru Impreza, for $26660

My car is worth $170000 more than hers.

Nice maths skills there, you are only about a hundred and fifty thousand off, or an extra zero ;)

But that seems hell cheap for a brand new impreza. I can see why the used car market has died in the arse, why would anyone spend 10 on a 10 year old car, when you can get a brand new Honda jazz or Holden barina for like 12. With 5 year warranties and shit.

But anyway, back to your question. Get one of those cheap shitty canvas car port/cover things from supacheap and tell her to park under that.

Or what's the other car undercover, tell your old man to park his on the street. Or better yet try and get your parents to move out.
    Post edited by threefish10 on
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
    pjfan31 wrote:
    her car is worth approximately $10000.

So last Friday I picked up a 2011 Subaru Impreza, for $26660

My car is worth $170000 more than hers.

Nice maths skills there, you are only about a hundred and fifty thousand off, or an extra zero ;)

But that seems hell cheap for a brand new impreza. I can see why the used car market has died in the arse, why would anyone spend 10 on a 10 year old car, when you can get a brand new Honda jazz or Holden barina for like 12. With 5 year warranties and shit.

But anyway, back to your question. Get one of those cheap shitty canvas car port/cover things from supacheap and tell her to park under that.

Or what's the other car undercover, tell you old man to park his on the street. Or better yet try and get your parents to move out.

Whoops.... never was good at maths. It was the base R model. I love it....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    i dont get it. does it hail midsize sedans in Sydney? whats wrong with not have it covered?
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    pjfan31 wrote:

wow 600,000 dude i could build a nar-lee beach house for that like wow
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Here's the lowdown and it may be a bit long, not sure yet so sorry.....

In 2006, my sister bought a Ford Fiesta. We have a double car port at home and because her car was new it knocked out my parents second car which was older. Currently her car is worth approximately $10000.

So last Friday I picked up a 2011 Subaru Impreza, for $26660, leather seats, alloy wheels, blue tooth, leather steering wheel, rear parking sensors (never had a ding in my life, a nice little bonus) and now I think it will be fair for my car to get the undercover spot, much like she did in 2006.

SHe has agreed to one week on one week off, but I don't think it is good enough. My car is worth $170000 more than hers. And not to mention, in the event of a car being damaged by not being undercover, her excess is $300 cheaper than if mine were to get damaged.

I can see her side of the argument, she can't even see mine.

Am I being unreasonable?
    If you are seeing her side of the argument then the compromise she suggested might just work for you both.

Sharing is usually a fair solution.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    pjfan31 wrote:

$600K is average even after the housing bust? My advice is to look for a new area to call home!
    manutd3581 wrote:
    i dont get it. does it hail midsize sedans in Sydney? whats wrong with not have it covered?

No, but golf ball to baseball sized lumps of ice falling out of the sky isn't good for cars. That's part of what's wrong wit not having it covered.
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    Yes you are...grow the hell up.
    Jason P wrote:
    $600K is average even after the housing bust? My advice is to look for a new area to call home!

What housing bust?

We paid about $350,000 for our house in Brisbane 6 years ago, if we went to buy the same thing now it would be at least $550,000. You can only get a little 3 bedroom shit box in most areas of Brisbane for around $300,000 these days. And Sydney is worse.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rock paper scissors.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Well, it looks like this thread has reached its full potential.

Go with what your parents say to do. I have a sister I can't stand but I behave myself with regards to her around my parents because they seem to remember which children are mature and which are not and compensate you for it later. So there's my two cents, which exchanged into the Australian dollar would be around four cents. :think:
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote:

What housing bust?

We paid about $350,000 for our house in Brisbane 6 years ago, if we went to buy the same thing now it would be at least $550,000. You can only get a little 3 bedroom shit box in most areas of Brisbane for around $300,000 these days. And Sydney is worse.
    Hmm, well I would not buy then! :shock:

About five years ago I was faced with a similar situation is Seattle. Had I bought at those inflated prices, I would be financially screwed right now. I ended up moving to the countryside and was able to find a place for 1/3 of the price the house would have been in Seattle ... and in a much nicer neighborhood to boot. If Australia hasn't had a housing bust, I would hold off.

There were two things that never made sense to me in the last ten years ... the Dot.com explosion of imaginary money / stocks and the ever-increasing cost of real estate. In the end, they both exploded (at least in the States).
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Have your parents said anything about this? What is their opinion? I can definitely see how you want to kick your sister's car out since she did the exact same thing. That's the way it would work, right? Yes, I do think she is sorta being a brat about it since she had 5 years of covering her car already. The value of it is much less I'm sure. But personally, I think since you both still live under your parent's roof and have not said anything about paying rent and/or parking, THEY should have the covered spots. Regardless of what their cars look like or are valued at, they pay for the house, and their children do not. I think it's just common courtesy to let your parents have what is rightfully theirs.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Have your parents said anything about this? What is their opinion? I can definitely see how you want to kick your sister's car out since she did the exact same thing. That's the way it would work, right? Yes, I do think she is sorta being a brat about it since she had 5 years of covering her car already. The value of it is much less I'm sure. But personally, I think since you both still live under your parent's roof and have not said anything about paying rent and/or parking, THEY should have the covered spots. Regardless of what their cars look like or are valued at, they pay for the house, and their children do not. I think it's just common courtesy to let your parents have what is rightfully theirs.

agreed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • A death race.
    Winner gets the car port space.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    manutd3581 wrote:

No, but golf ball to baseball sized lumps of ice falling out of the sky isn't good for cars. That's part of what's wrong wit not having it covered.
    wooord
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Parents house, parents car should go there. Otherwise, whoever pays rent for it gets it. ;)
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    jmurray wrote:
    Parents house, parents car should go there. Otherwise, whoever pays rent for it gets it. ;)

rockys burgers is awesome!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    You are trying to save for a house and you spent $26K on a car!!! What is wrong with a $10K car and an extra $16K in the bank???? House prices are beyond ridiculous in Sydney, we contemplated moving there 10 years ago but that put us off. Average 3 brm house here is $200-$250K.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    your car is 5 years newer, you should get the spot
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,850
    Since you can afford such a car, I suspect you can afford a canopy. Someone else suggested it. You can easily get a "portable garage" to protect your car.

Edit: Dont fight with a woman. Its just not worth it. You will save years off your life by just taking matters into your own hands. ;)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    She how she responds to this idea! :)

Add up the total value of the cars

$10,000
    $27,000
    $37,000

$27,000 / $37,000 = 73% (you portion of total value)

7 days x 73% = 5 days per week you get the car port!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jason P wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

leave sydney???? thats crazy talk . 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say