Options

Ny Times Review Vedder Night 2 Nyc

1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
edited August 2008 in The Porch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Kind of harsh in spots, but an interesting read.
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    I just sent the writer of this article, Ben an e-mail. Thought I would share:

Titled-"My Sympathies Ben"

"Man, I just wanted to express my sincere sympathies for you missing the Eddie Vedder show in NYC that was apparent as I read your review.

Anyone who has seen Vedder (either solo or with PJ) and has those kinds of statements, is truly missing out on the gift of music Ed has to share.

But then again, you do write for the times, so with that in mind, I guess your review is par for the course.

Sorry you didn't get it man."
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    Just because the man didn't praise Ed as the Lord our Savior doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about

he was doing a review of a show, he doesn't have to "get" anything

I'm sure he was quite aware of the worshippers in the audience, doesn't mean he has to succumb
  • Options
    NC_Irie wrote:

"Man, I just wanted to express my sincere sympathies for you missing the Eddie Vedder show in NYC that was apparent as I read your review.

Anyone who has seen Vedder (either solo or with PJ) and has those kinds of statements, is truly missing out on the gift of music Ed has to share.

But then again, you do write for the times, so with that in mind, I guess your review is par for the course.

Hahaha. That brief, holier than thou jibberish makes you look both elitist and foolish. You realize that right?
    member number: 198,xxx
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Just because the man didn't praise Ed as the Lord our Savior doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about

I'm sure he was quite aware of the worshippers in the audience, doesn't mean he has to succumb

your wrong. the review was woeful. The man wasted a seat. and he clearly knows nothing other than those lovely big posh words.
  • Options
    Hahaha. That brief, holier than thou jibberish makes you look both elitist and foolish. You realize that right?

Kinda liked his email, no idea how you find it holier than thou? nor jibberish? Its fairly easy to understand. How can you describe this as foolish? its a little poking fun, and a little criticism. He's basically messing around with the guy...

elitist? whatever.

Have you read the review?
  • Options
    The issue is not the review, it's the fan's response to it. Whenever someone else claim's that another just doesn't get it, it clearly implies an esoteric knowledge. In this instance, that esoteric bit of knowledge is full comprehension of Ed's "gift of music". That's textbook elitism.

It's foolish because it gives the rest of the fan community, some of whom appreciate and respect the opinion of others, a bad name. In a way, it makes us all look dumb.
  • Options
    LOL...
    I'm glad someone in this world does not think Ed's is god- keeps the rest of us grounded.

LOL @ writing stupid letters to people who dont agree- Ed would be ashamed of you!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Detroit2NYCDetroit2NYC New York, NY Posts: 337
    NC_Irie wrote:

Awesome! :) I feel the same way, in the sense that its unfortunate that the writer can't get what we get out of it. I feel very lucky!
  • Options
    The issue is not the review, it's the fan's response to it. Whenever someone else claim's that another just doesn't get it, it clearly implies an esoteric knowledge. In this instance, that esoteric bit of knowledge is full comprehension of Ed's "gift of music". That's textbook elitism.

It's foolish because it gives the rest of the fan community, some of whom appreciate and respect the opinion of others, a bad name. In a way, it makes us all look dumb.

Or maybe the guy is just reviewing the reviewers work?

you've gotta admit, the review is utter nonsense? its almost indecipherable for the sake of it
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    While I acknowledge the writer is entitled to his opinion, I think it is a poorly written review.
  • Options

You make me want to go to sleep.
  • Options

thats funny! but actually, i thought he could have approached the article much more sensitively than that. I thought his words were completely tasteless.

• Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Or maybe the guy is just reviewing the reviewers work?

you've gotta admit, the review is utter nonsense? its almost indecipherable for the sake of it
    Yes, but he's not reviewing the review, he's berating the guy for "not getting it" which is childish and naive. And again, the review is NOT the issue - it's the guy's response to it. Don't focus on the wrong part of the story.

As an aside, pertaining to the review, what do we mean by "well written" or "utter nonsense"? These are very ambiguous terms. Are we referring to the diction? The structure? Or are we referring to an opinion we don't agree with? The first two are spot on; the article is well written. As for the third, the author's opinion, well it's fine to disagree but it's downright silly to claim something is utter nonsense or not well written because you're opinion doesn't line up with his. Right?
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    thanks for posting.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Kinda liked his email, no idea how you find it holier than thou? nor jibberish? Its fairly easy to understand. How can you describe this as foolish? its a little poking fun, and a little criticism. He's basically messing around with the guy...

elitist? whatever.

Have you read the review?

thanks man! i didn't think that I should have been attacked for being a passionate fan sticking up for Ed and his music.

but, everyone has there own opinion I guess.

• Options

this is just ridiculous ^

• Options
    You're right, you shouldn't be attacked and if it has come off that way then I need to apologize. So, sorry. I would like to think you could see my point of view however that your note to the author wasn't a bright idea.

Either way, I'm through with this thread. Back to work.
  • Options
    You're right, you shouldn't be attacked and if it has come off that way then I need to apologize. So, sorry. I would like to think you could see my point of view however that your note to the author wasn't a bright idea.

Either way, I'm through with this thread. Back to work.

good idea!

and I accept your apology.

• Options
    Yes, but he's not reviewing the review, he's berating the guy for "not getting it" which is childish and naive. And again, the review is NOT the issue - it's the guy's response to it. Don't focus on the wrong part of the story.

As an aside, pertaining to the review, what do we mean by "well written" or "utter nonsense"? These are very ambiguous terms. Are we referring to the diction? The structure? Or are we referring to an opinion we don't agree with? The first two are spot on; the article is well written. As for the third, the author's opinion, well it's fine to disagree but it's downright silly to claim something is utter nonsense or not well written because you're opinion doesn't line up with his. Right?

I think we've just found the author....
  • Options
    Hahaha. Funny. No, I'm just the gremmie.net guy. Take that as you will.
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    NC_Irie wrote:

Glad YOU got it!
  • Options
    arielariel Posts: 191
    NC_Irie wrote:
    thanks man! i didn't think that I should have been attacked for being a passionate fan sticking up for Ed and his music.

but, everyone has there own opinion I guess.

Should the author of the review have been accused of not having the oh so cerebral ability to "get" the show and having the audicity to go ahead and write about it anyway?
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
  • Options
    Hahaha. Funny. No, I'm just the gremmie.net guy. Take that as you will.

nice site by the way
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I think we've just found the author....

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    ah he's a critic and 99.99% of critics are dumbasses. Is there a critique university they go to where they can get a degree in Critiqueology?
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    ariel wrote:
    Should the author of the review have been accused of not having the oh so cerebral ability to "get" the show and having the audicity to go ahead and write about it anyway?

ABSOLUTELY!

YOU got it!

• Options
    ariel wrote:
    This is a more concise, more sardonic, funnier version of what I was saying. I clearly have no sense of humor, haven't you seen my site?
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693

Maybe.

But perhaps had he known about Ed and the band, he would have gotten why it wasn't out of stupidity that the fans were in awe when Arc was played. Also, when he discusses the lyrics of guaranteed... and takes them as proof of ed's self-righteousness... that's just stupid. He is lending his sensibility to another person (which he does always, and so beautifully).

It was a pretty bad review. It is also funny that a tight-assed newspaper accuses an artist of being tight-assed. But whatever.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.