Identity Theft.......

2»

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Sorry to hear that Speedy....that really sucks. Hope those guys get caught.

I have to use debit cards, I use them as credit instead of debit so people can't get my PIN, I had my wallet stolen out of my purse once and the f*ckers stole $80 and a bunch of change...they didn't take my credit cards because I write 'ASK FOR ID' on the back, and I suppose thery didn't look anything like me.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    ID theft happened to me a few years ago.

Someone was stealing mail from my box, including a few checks that were sent c/o me, but not payable to me. The crook went to my bank with the check, and opened 2 new accounts in my name. They then started making withdrawls in person at my bank, and got about $12,000 until I caught wind of it. Funny thing was I had applied online to open a money market account around that time, so when I saw I had 2 new accounts when I logged-in to online banking, I assumed they were set up pursuant to my request. However, once I saw a $6,000 withdrawl, I rushed to my bank to close my accounts.

I opened a new checking account, and within a few days, all of my dough was replenished. As a safeguard, I signed-up for freecreditreport.com so that I would be notofied if any dodgy credit stuff was going on. Luckily, noting more happened.

This past November, I returned something to Best Buy. The next day, there was an unauthorized charge from Best Buy on my card. Gotta be careful these days!
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    (Some) people are scum. But like a previous poster said, karma's a bitch. What goes around...

Hope you're okay, Speedy and sending good thoughts your way.
  • I'm so sorry Speedy :( this happened to me too, some asshole took $300 out of my checking AND savings each! Fortunately the bank did put the money in the next day, but I had to file a police report....nothing was done of course, even though they knew which gas station it happened at, and they had cameras all over the place so they could have timed it with the time of the transaction. It makes you feel creeped out :(
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    about 15 years ago i got a call from amex asking if i bought 3500 dollars worth of jewelry and another 2000 of clothes from macys

yeah i didn't
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    When I was in college I got a call from my ccard company asking if I used my card to buy $8000 worth of items at a shop in Turkey.
    My corporate credit card got ripped off recently. A number of co-workers were staying at a hotel in Orlando, and we all got hit. Apparently someone who works at the hotel was taking our numbers and creating new cards that he'd sell. They would create the card with my name and numbers on it and duplicate the magnetic strip allowing people to swipe it anywhere they wanted.

I think the laws for identity theft should be as steep as they can be. This isn't petty theft, this is a f'n headache in every way for the victim. I say first offense is a felony and they have to go to "pound you in the ass" prison.

Also, the new scanners that can read your credit card without having to swipe it...
    They've been replicated and crooks are using scanners to read your card from your wallet. They get your info and they are on their way. :evil:
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    This happened to me once. On the day I was trying to buy my first house several years ago. Wiped out like 8,000. Someone was able to get my PIN after I left an ATM somehow. The bank did return all of it. I just had to sign some affidavits and make statements to the police. I was a wreck though. Had to push back the close date, etc.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13