Baseball fan? Need a job?

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    what this job needs is identical twins. :lol:

More like the Octo babies or whatever they were called. :D

you would need something. first week would be cool, but once the season hits may, june.. shoot me now. i'll have to check out the blog tho. should be interesting to read.

day 159....i woke up this morning praying for a strike. i don't plan to shower today. it's been 8 days since my last. the nathan hotdog eating contest winner is suppose to show today to do a bit on the show. i swear, if they make us have a hot dog eating contest, i'm may just start eating my arm instead. i'm not even sure if the mets are home or on the road today. i just wish they would never come back.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hire someone to watch and report every scuba diving competition and bat gathering race.
    the season is 12 years long.

good luck.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    what this job needs is identical twins. :lol:

More like the Octo babies or whatever they were called. :D

you would need something. first week would be cool, but once the season hits may, june.. shoot me now. i'll have to check out the blog tho. should be interesting to read.

day 159....i woke up this morning praying for a strike. i don't plan to shower today. it's been 8 days since my last. the nathan hotdog eating contest winner is suppose to show today to do a bit on the show. i swear, if they make us have a hot dog eating contest, i'm may just start eating my arm instead. i'm not even sure if the mets are home or on the road today. i just wish they would never come back.

EXACTLY. JUST SHOOT ME NOW. Especially since you'd have to listen to other announcers, and I prefer Philly announcers over any other team's announcers, hands down.

Besides, park hot dogs are gross, at least they used to be, I had one ONCE and NEVER again. Give me my Bull's bbq any game.

It would be fun for about a week.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited February 2011
    81 wrote:

EXACTLY. JUST SHOOT ME NOW. Especially since you'd have to listen to other announcers, and I prefer Philly announcers over any other team's announcers, hands down.

Besides, park hot dogs are gross, at least they used to be, I had one ONCE and NEVER again. Give me my Bull's bbq any game.

It would be fun for about a week.

I'd love it. I can never get enough baseball. Also, the phillies announcers are among the worst in baseball. We really get screwed having to listen to tom mccarthy and wheels on a daily basis (RIP, HK...he was the best). There are some really good baseball announcers out there. I could listen to vin scully talk about anything. I'd even watch nascar if he announced it.

sounds like I'm in the minority regarding the job. I love baseball
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I think this would be pretty awesome.

Its not worth leaving my career over though.

And agree 100% n Vin Skully
    MayDay10 wrote:

Its not worth leaving my career over though.

Nah, definitely not. It's cool to envision though.
    it all sounds like fun, but to have to watch 45 hours of baseball each day for 6 months straight. man. that would get rough. from the time you wake until the time you go to sleep, you would be talking/blogging/watching baseball. there would be zero time for anything else. most days would be 12 hours of watching with anouther couple of hours of talking/blogging. 8 hours sleep. 1 hour getting ready to sleep and getting up in the am. you'd have like 1 hour a day for everythign else.

that said, i'd give it a whirl for the right amount of cash.

it's not so bad to listen to different annoucers. i do it all the time in hockey.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    it all sounds like fun, but to have to watch 45 hours of baseball each day for 6 months straight. man. that would get rough. from the time you wake until the time you go to sleep, you would be talking/blogging/watching baseball. there would be zero time for anything else. most days would be 12 hours of watching with anouther couple of hours of talking/blogging. 8 hours sleep. 1 hour getting ready to sleep and getting up in the am. you'd have like 1 hour a day for everythign else.

that said, i'd give it a whirl for the right amount of cash.

it's not so bad to listen to different annoucers. i do it all the time in hockey.
    Yeah. I think I could pull it off too. Like others said though, I'd be a mess by the end. I think you could carve out a little more "you" time than you think.

edit: and my head would probably explode at the end if the Sox won the WS again.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    im sure you can drift into one game and the other (as opposed to completely cover all say 15 games a day). Write about whatever game(s) hold your attention and why. You would probably find a nice groove.

The main reason I would do it is to do a real bang-up job and try to get a full time position with MLB covering baseball.
  • Travel days like Monday and Thursday have a limited schedule, so you might only be watching 4 games those days, and a lot of those are afternoon games, so you could still go out on the town Mon/Thurs nights.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    MayDay10 wrote:
    im sure you can drift into one game and the other (as opposed to completely cover all say 15 games a day). Write about whatever game(s) hold your attention and why. You would probably find a nice groove.

The main reason I would do it is to do a real bang-up job and try to get a full time position with MLB covering baseball.

no way you could watch all 15 games each day. maybe if they cut out commercials and 1st base toss overs.

assuming you have to watch live, you'd watch from 1pm to 4pm and 7pm to 1am on days with day games. if there weren't any day games it wouldn't be too bad. you might have 10 games going. put them all on the screen to watch, pick the most interesting to listen too. friday thru sunday would be the worst with days games all day long.

i need to try this with hockey for a weekend. i have the package, just need more tv's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Travel days like Monday and Thursday have a limited schedule, so you might only be watching 4 games those days, and a lot of those are afternoon games, so you could still go out on the town Mon/Thurs nights.

yeah, plus during the week there are only day games on Wed and thursday (limited mondays, but not usually)...other than the cubs of course.

baseball players really don't get enough credit for their durability. the MLB schedule is a meat grinder.
    81 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

no way you could watch all 15 games each day. maybe if they cut out commercials and 1st base toss overs.

assuming you have to watch live, you'd watch from 1pm to 4pm and 7pm to 1am on days with day games. if there weren't any day games it wouldn't be too bad. you might have 10 games going. put them all on the screen to watch, pick the most interesting to listen too. friday thru sunday would be the worst with days games all day long.

i need to try this with hockey for a weekend. i have the package, just need more tv's

only team that plays friday afternoon games is the cubs. it's part of the labor agreement (which is also why there are so many day games on thursday...extra travel time for players to get to the city where they're playing friday night)
    Travel days like Monday and Thursday have a limited schedule, so you might only be watching 4 games those days, and a lot of those are afternoon games, so you could still go out on the town Mon/Thurs nights.

i agree there are fewer games on those days, but monday is typically a night day. thursday is heavy on day games but there are still night games.

the only way you are going out on the town is if all the games are east coast or you go out at 1am eastern after the west coast games wrap up.

your only downtime, save the odd super light scheudule day will be the all star break, and i bet they send the person to that game.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    here is a nice thrusday slate for you

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/scoreboard/index ... 04/21/2011

start at 12:35 and games go pretty much all day thru 1am. might have a small break from 6 to 6:40
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    here is a nice thrusday slate for you

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/scoreboard/index ... 04/21/2011

start at 12:35 and games go pretty much all day thru 1am. might have a small break from 6 to 6:40
    That's why they'd pay you the big bucks, 81. And God forbid the games go into extra innings...
    not that we will ever know, but thoughts on pay?

100K?

250K?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    81 wrote:
    is this it? That's what they're calling it, the fancave?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i could watch baseball for hours on end. def wouldn't mind watching all 15 games on some big screen tv with a laptop infront of me all while being inside some empty room at MLB headquarters. :oops:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

81 wrote:
    is this it? That's what they're calling it, the fancave?
    Thats were the original link redirects to

Extension of man cave maybe
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I want this job.
    and they are off.....with a douche bag yankee fan. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    81 wrote:
    Yay! I love douche bag Yankee fans!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    81 wrote:
    Yay! I love douche bag Yankee fans!

Yes?......
    Hello......
    Sorry i thought i heard someone call my name....
    i would do this in a heartbeat after hearing how much the douchebag yankees fan will be making. heard it's anywhere from $10,00-$400,000.

• dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    That's a pretty big gap.. If it were closer to the lower end of the spectrum I'd say you'd feel burned out pretty quickly and it may not be worth it. On the other hand if you're closer to that 400k that's a whole different story.
    watching baseball 15 hours a day and do an occasional tweet/blog post and interview players sounds like heaven to me. money wouldn't matter to me, i'd do it for the love of the game.

metsfan wrote:
    watching baseball 15 hours a day and do an occasional tweet/blog post and interview players sounds like heaven to me. money wouldn't matter to me, i'd do it for the love of the game.

I'm with you. PLus this job would get you TONS of exposure. If you did a good job you would be able to get any baseball jouralism job you wanted after the year ended.

Sign me up
    The Fixer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

I'm with you. PLus this job would get you TONS of exposure. If you did a good job you would be able to get any baseball jouralism job you wanted after the year ended.

Sign me up
    thats the main i'd do it, to get an in to the business. mlb could pay me in beer and cheeseburgers and hotdogs and i'd still do it.