Options

Well, I guess it wasn't "worth the trip" to Manchester for Pearl Jam after all...

oldfannewposteroldfannewposter Posts: 128
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I hope you are kicking yourselves in the ass if you didn't make the trip because it was "too far", "not worth it", or "dah, it'll be a lollapalooza greatest hits set".

The set list was like no other I've ever seen, and this was #26 since 1992. Truly amazing, Ed was charged up in the bible belt and spewed some awesome shit. I heard someone yell "fuck you eddie" as he spoke about the war and making a change in the world and how we are ultimately responsible for changes... there were some real assholes there, but this douche was outnumbered for sure.

But... the tree huggers had their asses kicked (musically). No other band had the response Pearl Jam did. The crowd seemed to go for miles and miles... the glowsticks looked great in the dark. I just got home and I'm fried, I may post a review later.

See ya at NY I & II.
"One just escapes, one's left inside the well... and he who forgets will be destined to remember"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    I hope you are kicking yourselves in the ass if you didn't make the trip because it was "too far", "not worth it", or "dah, it'll be a lollapalooza greatest hits set".

The set list was like no other I've ever seen, and this was #26 since 1992. Truly amazing, Ed was charged up in the bible belt and spewed some awesome shit. I heard someone yell "fuck you eddie" as he spoke about the war and making a change in the world and how we are ultimately responsible for changes... there were some real assholes there, but this douche was outnumbered for sure.

But... the tree huggers had their asses kicked (musically). No other band had the response Pearl Jam did. The crowd seemed to go for miles and miles... the glowsticks looked great in the dark. I just got home and I'm fried, I may post a review later.

See ya at NY I & II.

If you've been seeing the band since '92, you must have been the oldest person at Bonnaroo besides B.B. King.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    word

everyone was throwing glowsticks all over non stop throught the whole show. It really didn't stop. I also got hit in the head with a giant ball unexpectedly but didn't care. man oh man good times
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    its especially nice that we can go and get this bootleg

thanks 10C
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    If you've been seeing the band since '92, you must have been the oldest person at Bonnaroo besides B.B. King.

LMAO! I nearly spit out my yogurt when I read this! :D:p
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Oxxys wrote:
    word

everyone was throwing glowsticks all over non stop throught the whole show. It really didn't stop. I also got hit in the head with a giant ball unexpectedly but didn't care. man oh man good times

compared to the My Morning Jacket show, there were no glow sticks saturday night.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    best show i ever saw. they were on a mission
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Then you mean it WAS worth the trip.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    No one likes a bragger!!! :)
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

Not at all, but thanks for asking. I was at The Vic with 1,000 of the most hardcore Pearl Jam fans known to man and saw a superior set list. Would I have liked to been at Bonnaroo and seen this kick ass show? Yes. That would just make me selfish though to see two of the greatest shows the band has ever played though, and I don't want to do that.

:)
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I support your statement, especially after all of the "I'm SO glad I'm not going to Bonnaroo" talk from all the pessimists. I was there, in the pit, about 5 ppl away from the barrier, directly in front of Mike. Amazing show, although the crowd (even in the pit) wasn't getting that into it.

Absolutely amazing performance by the band. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't even know if it was better than My Morning Jacket. PJ has been my favorite band for 14 years and I've only listened to MMJ for about a month, but holy fuck shit cock pussy, that was one of the best, if not the best, performances I've ever seen whether it be music, sports or other. Then again, there were drugs involved, but a fucking phenomenal performance by MMJ.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

Nope still glad I was home, enjoying my bed, shower and refrigerator.
    But the songlist has me psyched for my run of shows starting thursday
  • Options
    the crowd was definately into it. maybe not the jaded superfans in the front, but in the rest people were going crazy after they got through a few rarities.

WMA fuking rules
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    the crowd was definately into it. maybe not the jaded superfans in the front, but in the rest people were going crazy after they got through a few rarities.

WMA fuking rules

I was dancing and jumping all over in the pit, and ppl around me were standing around for the most part. I couldn't believe the ppl that waited so long and pushed so hard to get in that line for the pit just stood there during songs like Animal and Evenflow. Half the ppl weren't even singing as if they didnt know the words.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    That's still a boatload of hippies to wade through for a PJ concert. I can only imagine what the Hobo Power was . . .
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    I support your statement, especially after all of the "I'm SO glad I'm not going to Bonnaroo" talk from all the pessimists. I was there, in the pit, about 5 ppl away from the barrier, directly in front of Mike. Amazing show, although the crowd (even in the pit) wasn't getting that into it.

Absolutely amazing performance by the band. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't even know if it was better than My Morning Jacket. PJ has been my favorite band for 14 years and I've only listened to MMJ for about a month, but holy fuck shit cock pussy, that was one of the best, if not the best, performances I've ever seen whether it be music, sports or other. Then again, there were drugs involved, but a fucking phenomenal performance by MMJ.

thats almost exactly where i was but i ended up being 1 person from the rail!! it was a long 12 hour wait but so worth it and pretty fun! easier than lolla last year
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    I was dancing and jumping all over in the pit, and ppl around me were standing around for the most part. I couldn't believe the ppl that waited so long and pushed so hard to get in that line for the pit just stood there during songs like Animal and Evenflow. Half the ppl weren't even singing as if they didnt know the words.

i agree with you 100% the guy in front of me was alot bigger than me who haddent waited all day, and wieseled his way up but he wasnt moving or singing or anything just being in the way. he finally left during the first encore so i got to get even closer but he was just taking up space that a different fan deserved.
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    That's still a boatload of hippies to wade through for a PJ concert. I can only imagine what the Hobo Power was . . .

No hippies in the line for the pit. A security guy told me that people started lining up for Pearl Jam around 1:30PM. These people waited 9 hours in line for PJ. Most of the ppl I met had been to several shows and some were message pit members. The line was insane. Around 7:30, people started getting in line from the sites and basically cutting off many that waited. By 9:15, the line was jam packed and about 15 people wide near the front. Tons of pushing and shoving.

The PJ fans retaliated well though... when groups came to the front of the line to come in from the side and cut, fans booed and yelled at them and shined flashlights. The pressure was too much for every group trying to cut, and they went back to the back of the line. Some hispanic guys were cursing them off in Spanish. I thought it was hilarious.
  • Options
    Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101
    pweafer4 wrote:
    i agree with you 100% the guy in front of me was alot bigger than me who haddent waited all day, and wieseled his way up but he wasnt moving or singing or anything just being in the way. he finally left during the first encore so i got to get even closer but he was just taking up space that a different fan deserved.

That's not fair at all. You don't think he deserved to be there because he wasn't singing and dancing? You don't have to sing and dance a lot at a show to prove that you're a fan.

Had I been at Bonnaroo, I wouldn't have been singing or dancing either. It's just not something that I do.

Pearl Jam means so much to me on a personal level. I don't feel that I have to wave my arms around and scream like a chimp to show it.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    I was in the pit and the guy in front of me was shaking his head during dte and porch and a few others. Then after the show someone asked him what he thought of the show and he said that he never saw them before but they weren't that good. There were def some people in the pit that didnt belong
  • Options
    GavrocksGavrocks Posts: 33
    No hippies in the line for the pit. A security guy told me that people started lining up for Pearl Jam around 1:30PM. These people waited 9 hours in line for PJ. Most of the ppl I met had been to several shows and some were message pit members. The line was insane. Around 7:30, people started getting in line from the sites and basically cutting off many that waited. By 9:15, the line was jam packed and about 15 people wide near the front. Tons of pushing and shoving.

The PJ fans retaliated well though... when groups came to the front of the line to come in from the side and cut, fans booed and yelled at them and shined flashlights. The pressure was too much for every group trying to cut, and they went back to the back of the line. Some hispanic guys were cursing them off in Spanish. I thought it was hilarious.

I was pretty pissed off at all those people pushing in from the side, near the toilets - I waited for 2 & a 1/2 hours (not as long as others I know), and was only 3 people from being let in when 9:15pm came and the security jerks pushed us back & closed the gate, even though we could still see plenty of room at the back of the mosh pit for another 40-50 people!

I settled for about 10 people back form the barrier, on Mike's side, which wasn't too bad - I figure I was still in front of 50 000 others!

Great show as has already been said - totally epic & I was so stoked to see both Down & Gone. Song of the night goes to the extended jm of RVM.

I hope tonight's show is awesome, but it now has a lot of catching up to do!
    Ten Club Member: 342***

10/11/06 - Brisbane, QLD, Australia
    14/6/08 - Manchester, TN, USA
    16/6/08 - Columbia, SC, USA
    20/11/09 - Melbourne, VIC, Australia

"Such a perfect Island, tucked away in the sea.
    The real land of the free, do you hear me?"
  • Options
    the poster sure was worth the trip

http://www.bigpopposters.com/posterMain.asp?Category=1&UID=373
    pretty nice
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Oh & best thing about waiting in line with all the people trying to pass through:
    Girl: "Sorry, I'm just passing through, not cutting in. What are you waiting for anyway?"
    Guy: "Free blowjobs"!
    Girl: "In that case I'm in the wrong part!"

Call of the night!

• Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the poster sure was worth the trip

[img][/img]http://www.bigpopposters.com/getImg.asp ... BigPicture

pretty nice

I thought the poster was too small & not as interesting as the Bonnaroo poster, so I just got the skull shirt instead.

• Options
    Gavrocks wrote:
    I thought the poster was too small & not as interesting as the Bonnaroo poster, so I just got the skull shirt instead.

this thing is f'n sweet!

20 x 26 sounds like a traditional size, no ?

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/81517
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    Ian_L wrote:
    That's not fair at all. You don't think he deserved to be there because he wasn't singing and dancing? You don't have to sing and dance a lot at a show to prove that you're a fan.

Had I been at Bonnaroo, I wouldn't have been singing or dancing either. It's just not something that I do.

Pearl Jam means so much to me on a personal level. I don't feel that I have to wave my arms around and scream like a chimp to show it.

I think he was saying he didn't deserve to be there because he cut in front of a bunch of people who had waited nine hours ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I think he was saying he didn't deserve to be there because he cut in front of a bunch of people who had waited nine hours ...

this sounds like deserving a beatdown, quite frankly.

did security get to him beforehand ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101

He did say that, but I think his point was that this guy cut in front of them just to stand there and listen to the band.
  • Options
    there were people near me crying when they played Release. CRYING. Eddie was in prime condition.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    But... the tree huggers had their asses kicked (musically). No other band had the response Pearl Jam did..

Uhhhmmmm...you DO know that PJ are "tree huggers", right? In fact, I think they had a link to treehugger.com on their site last December....and they bought a bunch of rainforest land, Wenatchee National Forest, etc... Just saying, is all...

Anyway, congrats on being at the show, even if you are a little smug about it ;)
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    MrSmith wrote:
    there were people near me crying when they played Release. CRYING. Eddie was in prime condition.

you sure they weren't just kanye west fans. "These guys are still playing? Waaaah!"
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do