Relationship/Love Advice

peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I haven't been on the board for awhile but I like that I can come here and read/get the advice of so many people and different perspectives. So I have a situation I'd like some thoughts on

I have been with this guy for almost a year and when we met there was an instant connection between us. We've had a few problems but overall our relationship is great and things had been really really good lately. Things started to feel more serious around the holidays and after new years. He spent the holidays w/me and my family and we had been spending just about everyday together. It was after new years that I started to know for sure that i loved him. I have a feeling he knew I felt this way because he actually asked me if i loved him and stupid me avoided the question instead of just saying yes.

I usually call him everday from work but one day a few weeks ago I didn't and since then he had been acting weird. After a few days I tried to ask him what was going on because he wasn't acting like himself but i couldn't get him to talk. Anyway, this weekend i figured i had nothing to lose and so i told him how i feel about him. He didn't say anything but i felt better getting it out there.

and now isn't a good time to try and talk because later in the weekend he broke his ankle and is out of it from the pain meds and it just doesn't seem like a good time. i've been calling and texting him but have kept how he's doing and what's going on with his ankle as the topic

the thing is, he's still taking my calls and respond to my texts and he's not the type to do that if he really doesn't want to deal with or talk with someone.

i just feel like when he kept asking if i loved him that he was doing it because he wanted the answer to be yes and this isn't the first time he's done that.

i have a hard time expressing my feelings myself and i think he's the same way, especially with this topic

any thoughts, advice, suggestions on the whole situation or where i should go from here?

i know a lot of people will think i should just forget about him, cut my losses and move on, but that's much easier said than done, especially when it's not you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Tell him this exactly:
    "i just feel like when he kept asking if i loved him that he was doing it because he wanted the answer to be yes and this isn't the first time he's done that.

i have a hard time expressing my feelings myself and i think he's the same way, especially with this topic"

Then ask him if he loves you. If you like his answer, then you might blurt something similar out.

I had trouble telling my fiance (then just girlfriend) that i loved her, so I played "My Body is a Cage" by the Arcade Fire. That gave her a huge hint. She eventually told me she loved me, then i shared my true feelings. Maybe you could give him a huge (and somewhat obvious)hint.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    peacegirl wrote:
    him everday from work but one day a few weeks ago I didn't and since then he had been acting weird.

Wow. Sounds clingy to me, if that's what the problem really is, not healthy at all. Sometimes I communicate with my girlfriend everyday, sometimes we go two or three days without communication. If there's still security issues go on, they need to be worked out or the both of you will never be happy.

Unless you're married or living with the person, everyday together can be a bit much. You guys need some space. If he needs constant reassurance that you love him, you need to tell him to grow a pair.
  • Just tell him you love him and you have a hard time expressing it. Communication is must! My wife and I had not communicated in almost 2 years until last month. Felt like we were on the brink of divorce until I said I want my soulmate back and she said the same. So everything is better than it's ever been. You must communicate how you feel and he must too.
    I'll be back
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I would agree with likeanocean above me. I would take a break from calling him everyday. I was in a relationship for a couple of years and we never talked on the phone more than once a week. (we saw each other about 3 times a week)

If he is upset that you didn't call him that one day then you must really wonder if this is a guy you want to date. I know for myself, i could never date someone who imho was that dependent on me.
    fife wrote:
    I would agree with likeanocean above me. I would take a break from calling him everyday. I was in a relationship for a couple of years and we never talked on the phone more than once a week. (we saw each other about 3 times a week)

If he is upset that you didn't call him that one day then you must really wonder if this is a guy you want to date. I know for myself, i could never date someone who imho was that dependent on me.
    I'm seeing my girlfriend three times this week and am worried I'm going to over LikeAnOcean her.
    We usually see eachother once or twice a week. Time apart lets you focus on the other aspects of your life, and makes the time you are together a lot better.

Everyone is different of course. I guess I would if I could see her everyday, but it's probably healthier this way, at least at this point in the relationship.

Everyday for the sake of everyday reassurance isn't good.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife wrote:

I'm seeing my girlfriend three times this week and am worried I'm going to over LikeAnOcean her.
    We usually see eachother once or twice a week. Time apart lets you focus on the other aspects of your life, and makes the time you are together a lot better.

Everyone is different of course. I guess I would if I could see her everyday, but it's probably healthier this way, at least at this point in the relationship.

I agree with you. I know people who talk everyday to each other and see each other everyday and for the life of me i don't know what they talk about. I have a friend who is married and they make it a rule that they must do something apart at least 3 days a week. they have been married for 7 years and doing great.
    fife wrote:
    fife wrote:

I agree with you. I know people who talk everyday to each other and see each other everyday and for the life of me i don't know what they talk about. I have a friend who is married and they make it a rule that they must do something apart at least 3 days a week. they have been married for 7 years and doing great.

This too. It's one thing to be with someone everyday, but phone conversation everyday will run communication dry. Unless you have some amazing things happen to you everyday, most people run out of things to talk about. Allow eachother to have lives and the fewer conversations you do have will be more fullfilling.
  • BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    Just a thing or two I would like to point out. First he asked you if you loved him as opposed to him telling that he loved you, and then when you expressed your feelings he comes back with nothing. I obviously don't know the guy or you for that matter but seems to be a red flag for the beginnings of a controling relationship. And him acting strange because you didn't call one day? Anyway he may have a communication problem or something but I would make him sit down and discuss the matter as soon as he able to do so without the drugs etc. If he's unable to communicate with you and answer your questions I would dump him to the curb. Communication would seem to be key to a good long term lasting relationship. And I'm not saying that this is the case, but it amazes me what women sometimes put up with. Good Luck.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Time will tell if there is love.

Every relationship is as unique as the people in it.
    This why someone can not tell you how often to speak to each other
    nor what to say and have it be right.

Follow your heart and try not to be afraid, this for you and your beau.

Love is a gift too give each other. It makes everything that is wrong in the world right.
    It makes your heart light and your soul happy. It's the best thing we got!

Be kind to your young man....
    in time the words will be said.

But don't give up on him sometimes men are more frightened then women about commitments.
    And saying 'I love you' and meaning it is a big commitment. It is giving your heart
    and some don't like the vulnerability and may fight it....

time will tell.

Once 'I love you' is said it comes easy .... :D

Enjoy your youth!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    BH304897 wrote:
    Just a thing or two I would like to point out. First he asked you if you loved him as opposed to him telling that he loved you, and then when you expressed your feelings he comes back with nothing. I obviously don't know the guy or you for that matter but seems to be a red flag for the beginnings of a controling relationship. And him acting strange because you didn't call one day? Anyway he may have a communication problem or something but I would make him sit down and discuss the matter as soon as he able to do so without the drugs etc. If he's unable to communicate with you and answer your questions I would dump him to the curb. Communication would seem to be key to a good long term lasting relationship. And I'm not saying that this is the case, but it amazes me what women sometimes put up with. Good Luck.

I agree with this ^^^

I had a boyfriend that would call me everyday, ask me 'do you love me?', if he had a day off work, and if I was working, he'd be there waiting for me after work. Cute at first...then turned into a 'smothering' thing. It did not turn out well.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    BH304897 wrote:

I agree with this ^^^

I had a boyfriend that would call me everyday, ask me 'do you love me?', if he had a day off work, and if I was working, he'd be there waiting for me after work. Cute at first...then turned into a 'smothering' thing. It did not turn out well.

I could never see myself asking a girl if she loves me. That just sounds and feels so insecure.

In fact, when a girl says she loves me, I use the Han Solo approach by replying with "I know." :lol:
  • It never felt like we were dependent on each other. Yes, we spent a lot of time together but we also did our own things apart.

Even though we talked every day we didn't see each other every day and logically I understand what everyone is saying about needing time apart, etc.

And with his injury now he's going to be out of town at his parents for a little while...that will give us time apart and give me time to think...hopefully he'll do the same and will then be ready to talk
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    peacegirl wrote:
    him everday from work but one day a few weeks ago I didn't and since then he had been acting weird.

Wow. Sounds clingy to me, if that's what the problem really is, not healthy at all. Sometimes I communicate with my girlfriend everyday, sometimes we go two or three days without communication. If there's still security issues go on, they need to be worked out or the both of you will never be happy.

Unless you're married or living with the person, everyday together can be a bit much. You guys need some space. If he needs constant reassurance that you love him, you need to tell him to grow a pair.

yeah
    this is my take on it, too
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Yea, give him some space. He will either come around or not. Either way, I would leave the next move up to him.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • whatever happened to awkwardly blurting it out immediately after epic sex on date number 3? ;)

i would be up front with the difficulties you have in expressing your feelings... make sure he knows the reason why you haven't said yes all those other times... what you said in your first post should work fine

good luck! don't let a good one get away over something as trivial as a couple words

injured moments like this are a good chance to show that you love him too... go pamper him! i loved it when my ex did that for me after my wisdom teeth
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    My husband is the king of taking things slowly. Give him time. He will let you know his feelings when he is ready.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chickweed wrote:

yeah
    this is my take on it, too
    I think this scenario is a tad on the dramatic side.
    Tink and Kilgore's posts above mine are good stuff, go with those.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    As of tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since talking to him. I went to see him, told him how I felt about him and explained myself. Told him I took a big chance telling him I loved him but probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't think there was a chance he might feel the same way. When I left I told him that I would try to give him his space but that if he needed me for anything I would do anything for him.

A few days later he sent me a text basically just saying hi. So then we were communicating some by texting each other. Just small talk stuff. But that stopped about 3 weeks ago. I think I said something that hit a nerve with him about the whole love thing. Again I gave him space. I sent him a couple texts last week but he didn't respond. Texting seems easier at this point. I'm not really sure if he would answer if I called and I'm not really sure what to say because I'm trying to give him time and I feel like if I called I would end up trying to get him to talk and that would push him away.

I have no idea if he still wants to be in a relationship with me, if he wants to take a break, some time apart of if he just wants it to be over.

In the meantime I've been hanging out with this other guy. He's not really a friend of my guy, more like an acquaintance, but that's how we know each other. Up until last night I never really got the feeling that maybe he likes me more than just a friend and wants to be more. I can be slow to pick on those things sometimes though. I like hanging out with him but obviously I need to be honest with him about my feelings for my guy.

Since I've just been left hanging I don't really know where to go from here because I don't want to hurt anyone. But I also feel like, how long should I wait around? and what is he doing?

Anyway, I just wanted to vent and get this out. I usually feel better when I do. And it's easier talking to strangers sometimes.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this is the thing ... there is no college course on love/relationships ... we all learn it thru experiences ... sounds like your guy wants to break up for whatever reason but doesn't have the balls to actually do it and is hoping you would just "go away" to put it bluntly ...

i would just send him a note saying ... you're gonna move on if you don't hear from him ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:
    this is the thing ... there is no college course on love/relationships ... we all learn it thru experiences ... sounds like your guy wants to break up for whatever reason but doesn't have the balls to actually do it and is hoping you would just "go away" to put it bluntly ...

i would just send him a note saying ... you're gonna move on if you don't hear from him ...

i wouldn't even bother sending a note.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i wouldn't even bother sending a note.

well ... i put that note out there because:

a) she deserves some response one way or another
    b) if the relationship is important enough to her - then she has to make one last effort and just maybe the guy is a total dufus and really doesn't know that he's being a selfish prick?
    ^^^
    oh yeah, I actually did send him a letter today. I wrote it this weekend.
    Basically just asking himself to put himself in my place and to consider just telling me where this is headed
    Really that's kind of my last effort to reach out to him.
    peacegirl wrote:
    As of tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since talking to him. I went to see him, told him how I felt about him and explained myself. Told him I took a big chance telling him I loved him but probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't think there was a chance he might feel the same way. When I left I told him that I would try to give him his space but that if he needed me for anything I would do anything for him.

A few days later he sent me a text basically just saying hi. So then we were communicating some by texting each other. Just small talk stuff. But that stopped about 3 weeks ago. I think I said something that hit a nerve with him about the whole love thing. Again I gave him space. I sent him a couple texts last week but he didn't respond. Texting seems easier at this point. I'm not really sure if he would answer if I called and I'm not really sure what to say because I'm trying to give him time and I feel like if I called I would end up trying to get him to talk and that would push him away.

I have no idea if he still wants to be in a relationship with me, if he wants to take a break, some time apart of if he just wants it to be over.

In the meantime I've been hanging out with this other guy. He's not really a friend of my guy, more like an acquaintance, but that's how we know each other. Up until last night I never really got the feeling that maybe he likes me more than just a friend and wants to be more. I can be slow to pick on those things sometimes though. I like hanging out with him but obviously I need to be honest with him about my feelings for my guy.

Since I've just been left hanging I don't really know where to go from here because I don't want to hurt anyone. But I also feel like, how long should I wait around? and what is he doing?

Anyway, I just wanted to vent and get this out. I usually feel better when I do. And it's easier talking to strangers sometimes.
    Text him and tell him... "I want to see other people....is that ok with you?"

That is the polite thing to do and gives the impression of your independence
    even if your heart's not really feeling independent yet.
    It will when you know it is over.

He can reply in a way that doesn't hurt you which perhaps he's been avoiding.

If he still wants something with you he will not be good with the idea of seeing others
    and that may get him in the proper gear.

If not...his loss.....new guys gain

Finding the right one can be fun! 8-)
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Sounds like its over. Get over it, move on. Sounds like you did everything you could.
    I'll be back
    really ... why even bother with relationships!?? ... it should be one massive orgy! ... :lol:

if my gf somehow figures out this board and who i am on it ... i was only kidding ... :mrgreen:
    pandora wrote:

If he still wants something with you he will not be good with the idea of seeing others

You always give the best advice! How did I not think of this?

Since I sent that letter I'll hold off on this text for right now. If he hasn't responded in about a week I'll send this text.

Thanks Pandi!
    peacegirl wrote:
    pandora wrote:

You always give the best advice! How did I not think of this?

Since I sent that letter I'll hold off on this text for right now. If he hasn't responded in about a week I'll send this text.

Thanks Pandi!
    Welcome! :D

meantime....cherish each day .... whatever comes your way !
    So last Saturday, after about 6 1/2 weeks, he shows up at my house :o :? He didn't stay long and the conversation was just small talk. I think we was just feeling me out to see how I would act towards him.

It is so easy so for us to just fall back into the way we were and pretend like nothing had happened. But I know that's not good. So last night I tried to get him to talk and still nothing. His attitude was different because he wasn't cold towards me but he still wouldn't talk.

So I told him again that I love him but if he refuses to communicate with me I will never be happy and that yes, I want us to go back to they way we were but I'm not going to do it pretending nothing happened. And if he can't do it then we just need to be friends.

He said we should just be friends. I can't help but think he's saying this just because he doesn't want to talk and deal with whatever feelings he has.

I told him we would make it work just being friends.

Thanks for all your input and advice - that's one thing I love about coming here.

Time for me to keep my chin up and move on
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    peacegirl wrote:
    :thumbup: You can do it!!
    EmBleve wrote:
    peacegirl wrote:
    :thumbup: You can do it!!
    Yes you can!!

And from my own personal experience add knees together to the chin up! ;):lol:

a couple old boyfriends showed up just wondering.....