Your Town/Neigborhood

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I've had Wash stuck in my head all morning. Pretty much the "this city is so filthy" line.

Name a few things about your town/neighborhood city that a non local might not know.

New Britain, CT.

Stanley Works is HQ'D here

Dribbling a basketball was developed at the YMCA in town.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2011
    i'm from philadelphia...city of brotherly love..NOT...everboby treats everyone like shit :?
    Post edited by blenderman69 on
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Waterbury, CT

Used to make brass; that's why it's known as the Brass City.

Part of Robert De Niro's movie, "Stanley and Iris", was filmed right down the street from my house.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Waterbury, CT

Part of Robert De Niro's movie, "Stanley and Iris", was filmed right down the street from my house.

The better question is...what are you eating in your avatar ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    Waterbury, CT

The better question is...what are you eating in your avatar ?
    :lol: Bread. Mouth was burning.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • i'm from philadelphia...city of brotherly love..NOT...everboby treats everyone like shit :?
    He said something people don't already know :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    i'm from philadelphia...city of brotherly love..NOT...everboby trets everyone like shit :?
    :lol::lol::lol:

I'm from Adelaide..............
    Ben Folds moved here, (God only knows why?)
    It's ranked as the most liveable city in Australia
    Known for Balfours Frog cakes (no not real frogs), Coopers Beer, Haighes Chocolate, Hills Hoist, Pie Floater (Meat pie in pea soup, YUCK).
    And unfortunately, it's rather scary murders like The Family Murders and The Snowtown murders
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Winchester, KY

Buddy Guy's guitars are custom made here!
    ...to live in the present tense...
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Loulou wrote:
    i'm from philadelphia...city of brotherly love..NOT...everboby trets everyone like shit :?
    :lol::lol::lol:

I'm from Adelaide..............
    Ben Folds moved here, (God only knows why?)
    It's ranked as the most liveable city in Australia
    Known for Balfours Frog cakes (no not real frogs), Coopers Beer, Haighes Chocolate, Hills Hoist, Pie Floater (Meat pie in pea soup, YUCK).
    And unfortunately, it's rather scary murders like The Family Murders and The Snowtown murders

And it's hot as hell in the summer!! 42 fuck that!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Cherry Hill Mall was the first enclosed shopping mall in the eastern United States :thumbup:

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    My road was melting the other day!!!!!! MELTING!!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Cherry Hill Mall was the first enclosed shopping mall in the eastern United States :thumbup:

Have you been there lately ?

It's like the ONLY Mall in the northeast anymore...packed !

:x

I know! I don't go that often anymore because the parking is INSANE! They've added way too many restaurants, etc to handle all that volume.

I know! I don't go that often anymore because the parking is INSANE! They've added way too many restaurants, etc to handle all that volume.

Not even for a 50% off shoe sale ?

:P

• Not even for a 50% off shoe sale ?

:P
    Well I didn't say I NEVER go :lol: Tim can drop me off at the door for a good sale :mrgreen:

• gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    Let's see I grew up in Fairmont, WV -- home of Mary Lou Retton, 1984 Olympic gold medal gymnist.
    I work in Jefferson County, WV where Shepherdstown, WV resides which of course everyone know is where James Rumsey built and successfully floated the first steam powered boat.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Feilding, Manawatu, NZ
    There are no parking meters or traffic lights in town.
    Home of Evermore,Tom Scott, Murray Ball.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    The original spanish name for San Francisco was "Yerba Buena" which meant "good herb" or "good grass" ...how right those spanish were. :mrgreen:

Fortune cookies and denim jeans were invented here.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I get to see Three Mile Island several times a day.

A town that smells like chocolate is nearby

Mechanicsburg is the hometown of the band Poison and where the band Fuel got their start.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    West Chester, PA

Home of QVC and half of the jackass crew (Bam Margera, Ryan Dunn, Raab, Dico, Rake). Also the band cKy is from here. Wow lot of stuff in WC (from wiki):

* Birthplace of famous 20th century composer Samuel Barber, most famous for his work "Adagio for Strings".
    * Humor columnist Dave Barry got his start in journalism reporting for the borough's The Daily Local News.
    * Murdered hostage Nick Berg
    * American artist Tom Bostelle
    * Smedley Butler, decorated war veteran and later anti-war activist, twice recipient of the Medal of Honor
    * Showman Buffalo Bill Cody spent his off-seasons here in a house that still stands on East Washington Street.
    * William Darlington, M.D., noted botanist and congressman.
    * American artist Harry Dunn
    * Birthplace of professional golfer Jim Furyk
    * Birthplace of American actor Kyle Gallner, who has acted in such shows as Veronica Mars and Big Love and also starred in The Haunting in Connecticut and the remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street.
    * Birthplace of billionaire and car dealer Norman Braman, former owner of the Philadelphia Eagles football team.
    * Professional baseball player and 2008 World Series MVP Cole Hamels, until recently, resided in West Chester.
    * Joseph Hemphill, who served in the United States House of Representatives
    * Author Joseph Hergesheimer lived in West Chester and is buried in its Oaklands Cemetery.
    * Musical act Hoots and Hellmouth (MAD Dragon Records)
    * Bruce Larkin, children's book author, was born in West Chester and owns a publishing company here.
    * Birthplace of guitarist John Lilley of rock band The Hooters
    * Birthplace and home of Bam Margera, professional skateboarder, television and radio personality, and daredevil.
    * Birthplace and home of Jess Margera, drummer of CKY, and member of the CKY Crew.
    * Birthplace of Jewish reggae musician Matisyahu.
    * Birthplace of baseball pitcher Jon Matlack, who pitched for the New York Mets and the Texas Rangers.
    * Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame women's basketball coach
    * Birthplace of actor Matthew McGrory (AKA "Bigfoot"), named as having the largest feet in the world (size 29 1/2) by the Guinness Book of World Records in 1992.
    * Professional golfer Sean O'Hair currently resides in West Chester.
    * Chicago Cub player Kevin Orie was born in West Chester.
    * Glen Osbourne, professional wrestler.
    * American artist Horace Pippin
    * Musical act Plow United, who penned a tribute to the town in their song "West Chester Nuclear Winter."
    * Actor Claude Rains made his home here at the corner of Church and Dean Streets.
    * Rapper Asher Roth attended West Chester University.
    * Noted botanist and environmentalist Joseph Rothrock spent much of his life in West Chester.
    * Birthplace of civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who has a West Chester high school named after him.
    * Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub attended West Chester East High School.
    * Early 20th century baseball player Bud Sharpe was born in West Chester.
    * Musician Acey Slade of Murderdolls and Wednesday 13 was born here.
    * Actor Kerr Smith, of Dawson's Creek.
    * The famous Irish patriot and martyr Theobald Wolfe Tone briefly lived here.
    * Washington Townsend, who served in the United States House of Representatives
    * Episcopal Bishop of Rhode Island Geralyn Wolf was a native of West Chester and attended West Chester University
    * Actor Richard Zobel was born in West Chester.
    * Actor Charlie McDermott who plays Axl as a series regular of The Middle (TV series)
    * Philadelphia Union star Sebastien Le Toux resides in West Chester.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Toronto

- Has over 300 bicycle couriers
    - Younge Street is the longest street in the world (1,896 km or 1,178 miles)
    - Has the largest pediatric hospital in North America
    - 180 million Americans are within 90 minutes by air
    - Just over 30 per cent of Toronto residents speak a language other than English or French at home
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    love the "Wash" line....that line gets stuck in my head as i drive through Waco all the time.....

fun facts about Waco, Texas.....

Dr Pepper was invented here in 1885...there's actually a Dr Pepper museum here...
    the Texas Sports Hall of Fame is also here...
    the Texas Ranger HOF & Museum is here....

umm....running out of things to say....hmmm....
    "famous" people from Waco...
    Lance Berkman
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Shannon Elizabeth
    Jennifer Love Hewitt
    Steve Martin

yeah...we're moving soon. not much to see here. but if you're ever in the area, either drop me a line...or just keep on driving. :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    mfc2006 wrote:
    love the "Wash" line....that line gets stuck in my head as i drive through Waco all the time.....

fun facts about Waco, Texas.....

Dr Pepper was invented here in 1885...there's actually a Dr Pepper museum here...
    the Texas Sports Hall of Fame is also here...
    the Texas Ranger HOF & Museum is here....

umm....running out of things to say....hmmm....
    "famous" people from Waco...
    Lance Berkman
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Shannon Elizabeth
    Jennifer Love Hewitt
    Steve Martin

yeah...we're moving soon. not much to see here. but if you're ever in the area, either drop me a line...or just keep on driving. :D

Waco and no mention of David Koresh and the Branch Davidians? :?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Wheaton, IL

Held the record for most churches per capita (might still ?)

local Wheaton College had a ban on dancing less than a decade ago - real life Footloose

The Beluschi brothers grew up here - attended Wheaton Central (as did football great Red Grange)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    RYEzupSF wrote:

that was close to Waco...from what I understand/recall, it was about 20-30 miles outside of Waco. we weren't here when that happened...to be honest, we wish we weren't here now! :lol:

whoops---i was wrong. just checked & it was only 10 miles outside of Wackytown.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    mfc2006 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

that was close to Waco...from what I understand/recall, it was about 20-30 miles outside of Waco. we weren't here when that happened...to be honest, we wish we weren't here now! :lol:

whoops---i was wrong. just checked & it was only 10 miles outside of Wackytown.

WACO. what a cook out. (just kidding). Good stuff here.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Seattle....uh well...there are a couple of cool bands from here...Jimi Hendrix, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Gruntruck, Green Apple Quickstep, Candlebox, Nirvana, oh and some band called Pearl Jam (anybody hear of them?)

Nicknames: Queen City (1869-1982), Emerald City, Rain City, Jet City, Gateway to Alaska

Fremont (a suburb of Seattle) proclaims itself 'The Center of the Universe'

Along with Minneapolis, Seattle is one of the most literate cities in the nation

The street Yestler Way was originally known as 'Skid Road' the loggers would slide timbers down the hill-apparently where the term Skid Row came from

Lots of companies were founded here: Amazon.com, Boeing, Starbucks, Seattle's Best Coffee (now owned by Starbucks), T-Mobile, Eddie Bauer, Costco, RealNetworks, Microsoft, Nintendo, Columbia Sportswear.

There was a big fire started by glue...it destroyed 32 city blocks. Because of insufficent manpower (all volunteer firefighters and not enough water pressure or hydrants) they decided to blow-up the rest of downtown.
    One good thing about the fire, it got rid of all the rats and vermin in the city.

When the city was first built, they made the first floor of the buildings really ugly, the second stories were made beautifully, the residents expected to 'bury' the city and start fresh (Seattle had a lot of prostitution, gambling etc). Now, you can visit the 'original' Seattle on underground tours.

People from here: Stone Gossard, Sir-Mix-A-Lot, Duff McKagan, Chris Cornell, Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Josie Bisset (girl from Melrose place), Carrie Brownstein, Carol Channing, Richard Karn, Nate Robinson, Jean Smart, Adam West (yes, THE Batman), Gypsy Rose Lee...(there are a lot more...these are some of the more well known ones)

for further lists of the bands and people from here please visit your local Wikipedia.org site
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Detroit, Michigan.

We have the second largest theater district in the country, behind only New York City.
    Also, we are getting a statue of Robocop.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • milarso wrote:
    this is awesome
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    milarso wrote:
    this is awesome

http://detroitneedsrobocop.com/

I know you all are planning your family vacations for the Motor City, so when you come, drop me a line, we'll meet up and I'll show you a good time.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    milarso wrote:
    milarso wrote:
    this is awesome

http://detroitneedsrobocop.com/

I know you all are planning your family vacations for the Motor City, so when you come, drop me a line, we'll meet up and I'll show you a good time.

When is the new arena going to be built...have you heard if anything is in the plans?

A new home for the wings would be nice, plus it would hopefully bring the concerts back downtown :D:D.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon