Options

Which bootlegs are you listening to right now?

Comments

• Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    Berlin 1 '12

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,519
    Den Haag 1992
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I was listening to Amsterdam 2014 night II and I noticed something I also heard on Amsterdam 2012 night II. A guy screaming:"Thank you so fucking much". Should he have done so once it would have added to the vibe, but since he does so alot I can't help but get annoyed. He screams it at all the wrong moments. Right at the start of a very cool Footsteps or just as the opening cords of Bugs are hit. I'd like to request that this guy refrains from doing this at the next gig.

He's all over the Euro 2012 boots. It does get annoying!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Leeds 2014...still blowing my mind !
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,343
    constructing Ikea furniture listening to Holmdel, NJ 2003 ...... I was there
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,898
    Absolutely love the Holmdel boot. Has to be the coolest set list ever. I was first row between mike and Ed.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Your seats were certainly better than mine. It was a terrific set list. I got lawn seats after seeing the 7.9.03 show at MSG in fan club seats. Enjoy the music
  • Options
    I gave up my ten club seats to the msg show for Holmdel!! I got real lucky.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    Academy 92
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Μoline 2014..a special boot for a special day..
    happy new year everybody..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Verona 2000
  • Options
    Missoula 2003
    2010 - Boston
    2011 - Alpine 1 & 2 --- EV - Providence & Boston - Tres Mts - Boston
    2012 - Missoula
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Worcester 1 & 2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    2014 - Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016 - Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, New York City 1, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Newark 2010

The concerts immediately surrounding this show - Hartford and Boston before, the two MSG shows after - have provided me with four of my all-time favorite PJ bootlegs. Given that, I’m kind of surprised it’s taken me so long to get around to listening to this one. I mean, there’s no way they’d drop a dud right in the middle of such a great run, would they?

No they would not.

For starters I absolutely love this set list. Many standards were left on the shelf this evening (“Corduroy”, “Better Man”, “Porch”, “RVM” and “YL” are all given the night off) and there’s a fine selection of rarities and “infrequenties” to go with the Backspacer material (“Alone”, “Brother”, “Footsteps” and “Leatherman”, to name a few).

The sound quality on this boot kind of interesting as well. For some reason, after the first couple of songs, Eddie’s vocals become...not “buried” by any means - you can still hear him pretty clearly - but slightly ”distant” in the mix. This has the effect of pushing Mike and Stone’s guitars just a little bit forward for most of the show. It provides a great chance to hear one of the best and (and this is not recognized nearly as often as it should be, in my opinion) one of the most perfectly matched guitar tandems around. These guys really complement one another beautifully - and they were both firing on all cylinders this night, so this boot would be worth hearing for that reason alone.

As for the show itself? Absolutely off the freakin' charts. I almost feel bad even trying to pick out some highlights because 1) there really are too many to mention and I feel like I’m doing a disservice to whichever ones I don’t list, and 2) how many songs can you describe as “great”, “awesome”, “phenomenal” and the like before you start sounding like a vacuous twit? Put it this way: “The Fixer” is a decent enough version but nothing spectacular and show closer “All Along The Watchtower” is a kind of a shambles. Aside from that? Every song - every damn one of them - sounds great to me.

OK, I’ll risk twit-dom and name a few: “Alone”, “Brother”, “Lukin”, “Once” and “Whipping” are all amazingly intense. A furious version of “Go” ends a perfectly constructed first encore. “Insignificance”, “Glorified G” and “Supersonic” are all really hot. “Just Breathe” has a moving introduction and is very well played. “Footsteps” is spectacular. “Inside Job” is one of my favorites, and this might be the best version I have heard yet. (J.H.C., Stone Gossard has got to be the most underrated guitar player in a big time rock band today. I think he only plays about 12 notes during the intro to “Inside Job” and they are just absolutely, devastatingly, heart-meltingly perfect - you simply cannot do it any better than this, just...holy crap, he just leaves me speechless. What an incredible talent this guy is. Damn...Where was I? Onward!) Having noticed “Jersey Girl” on the set list, all this time I assumed it was an Eddie solo performance, so I was surprised to hear the band (minus Stone, I believe) join in on this one. A very nice version. Interesting that Eddie opts to sing Tom Waits’s original lyric about not wanting the “whores on 8th Avenue” in place of the more genteel reference to “the girls out on the avenue” that Bruce Springsteen uses in his version.

All of that said, the biggest highlight in a show chock full of them has to be the absolutely jaw-dropping version of “Immortality” that appears about a third of the way into the main set. You can tell from listening to the boot that it just destroyed the crowd. I wasn’t even there and it destroys me too.

I’ve listened to this boot three times since I finally acquired it about 7 or 8 weeks ago (a birthday gift from my brother - thanks, Kurt!). My reaction the first time I heard it was “Man, Mike just owns this show.” Second time through I was most impressed by the quality of Eddie’s vocals (I think he’s especially great on “Footsteps” and “Alone” but he’s really in top form throughout). I listened to it again yesterday and realized “Holy hell, Matt’s drumming is just insane on this thing!”

In short: an embarrassment of riches. Do not miss this one.
    2003 - Chicago (6/18 - United Center)
    2006 - Chicago 1 (5/16 - United Center), Chicago 2 (5/17 - United Center)
    2009 - Chicago 1 (8/23 - United Center), Chicago 2 (8/24 - United Center)
    2013 - Chicago (7/19 - Wrigley Field)
    2014 - Moline (10/17 - iWireless Center), Milwaukee (10/20 - Bradley Arena)
    2016 - New York City 1 (5/1 - MSG), New York City 2 (5/2 - MSG), Chicago 1 (8/20 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/22 - Wrigley Field)
    2018 - Chicago 1 (8/18 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/20 - Wrigley Field)
  • Options
    Too bad the crowd was terrible at Newark. You play this set at msg and it s top five of all time.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,437
    mcgruff10 wrote: »
    Too bad the crowd was terrible at Newark. You play this set at msg and it s top five of all time.

Yeah, but it was still better then the 2 MSG shows: IMO.

Nice review JF157715 .
  • Options
    I think the set list on paper was better than the msg shows but there's a lot more to a show Than that. Of the four pj shows I went to in 2010 newark sadly ranks at a distant fourth. For me it was msg 2, Hartford, msg 1 and then newark.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    JF157715 wrote: »
    Newark 2010

The concerts immediately surrounding this show - Hartford and Boston before, the two MSG shows after - have provided me with four of my all-time favorite PJ bootlegs. Given that, I’m kind of surprised it’s taken me so long to get around to listening to this one. I mean, there’s no way they’d drop a dud right in the middle of such a great run, would they?

No they would not.

For starters I absolutely love this set list. Many standards were left on the shelf this evening (“Corduroy”, “Better Man”, “Porch”, “RVM” and “YL” are all given the night off) and there’s a fine selection of rarities and “infrequenties” to go with the Backspacer material (“Alone”, “Brother”, “Footsteps” and “Leatherman”, to name a few).

The sound quality on this boot kind of interesting as well. For some reason, after the first couple of songs, Eddie’s vocals become...not “buried” by any means - you can still hear him pretty clearly - but slightly ”distant” in the mix. This has the effect of pushing Mike and Stone’s guitars just a little bit forward for most of the show. It provides a great chance to hear one of the best and (and this is not recognized nearly as often as it should be, in my opinion) one of the most perfectly matched guitar tandems around. These guys really complement one another beautifully - and they were both firing on all cylinders this night, so this boot would be worth hearing for that reason alone.

As for the show itself? Absolutely off the freakin' charts. I almost feel bad even trying to pick out some highlights because 1) there really are too many to mention and I feel like I’m doing a disservice to whichever ones I don’t list, and 2) how many songs can you describe as “great”, “awesome”, “phenomenal” and the like before you start sounding like a vacuous twit? Put it this way: “The Fixer” is a decent enough version but nothing spectacular and show closer “All Along The Watchtower” is a kind of a shambles. Aside from that? Every song - every damn one of them - sounds great to me.

OK, I’ll risk twit-dom and name a few: “Alone”, “Brother”, “Lukin”, “Once” and “Whipping” are all amazingly intense. A furious version of “Go” ends a perfectly constructed first encore. “Insignificance”, “Glorified G” and “Supersonic” are all really hot. “Just Breathe” has a moving introduction and is very well played. “Footsteps” is spectacular. “Inside Job” is one of my favorites, and this might be the best version I have heard yet. (J.H.C., Stone Gossard has got to be the most underrated guitar player in a big time rock band today. I think he only plays about 12 notes during the intro to “Inside Job” and they are just absolutely, devastatingly, heart-meltingly perfect - you simply cannot do it any better than this, just...holy crap, he just leaves me speechless. What an incredible talent this guy is. Damn...Where was I? Onward!) Having noticed “Jersey Girl” on the set list, all this time I assumed it was an Eddie solo performance, so I was surprised to hear the band (minus Stone, I believe) join in on this one. A very nice version. Interesting that Eddie opts to sing Tom Waits’s original lyric about not wanting the “whores on 8th Avenue” in place of the more genteel reference to “the girls out on the avenue” that Bruce Springsteen uses in his version.

All of that said, the biggest highlight in a show chock full of them has to be the absolutely jaw-dropping version of “Immortality” that appears about a third of the way into the main set. You can tell from listening to the boot that it just destroyed the crowd. I wasn’t even there and it destroys me too.

I’ve listened to this boot three times since I finally acquired it about 7 or 8 weeks ago (a birthday gift from my brother - thanks, Kurt!). My reaction the first time I heard it was “Man, Mike just owns this show.” Second time through I was most impressed by the quality of Eddie’s vocals (I think he’s especially great on “Footsteps” and “Alone” but he’s really in top form throughout). I listened to it again yesterday and realized “Holy hell, Matt’s drumming is just insane on this thing!”

In short: an embarrassment of riches. Do not miss this one.

Excellent review and without doubt one of the best bootlegs of that tour.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    self pollution radio....I can't believe this was almost 20 years ago!
  • Options
    Drop In The Park
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

• Options
    toronto 1 2011. gotta be in my top five shows.
  • Options
    ...You play this set at msg and it s top five of all time.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on my ramblings about the Newark show. Sorry if I went off the deep end a bit. This band'll do that to a person sometimes!

McGruff, that's an interesting comment. The Newark crowd on the boot doesn't bother me a bit, but I know what you're getting at. I was originally going to mention "Indifference" in my review as well. I was going to say that the Newark version is excellent but that it was totally blown out of the water two calendar nights later at MSG1. I actually think both versions are pretty comparable as far as the band's performance goes but the crowd response at MSG just sends that one into the stratosphere. I agree: It definitely would have been cool to play the Newark set list for either of the MSG audiences.

And you got to see Hartford, Newark, MSG1 AND MSG2 in 2010?! You may color me Exorcist-green with envy, sir!
    2003 - Chicago (6/18 - United Center)
    2006 - Chicago 1 (5/16 - United Center), Chicago 2 (5/17 - United Center)
    2009 - Chicago 1 (8/23 - United Center), Chicago 2 (8/24 - United Center)
    2013 - Chicago (7/19 - Wrigley Field)
    2014 - Moline (10/17 - iWireless Center), Milwaukee (10/20 - Bradley Arena)
    2016 - New York City 1 (5/1 - MSG), New York City 2 (5/2 - MSG), Chicago 1 (8/20 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/22 - Wrigley Field)
    2018 - Chicago 1 (8/18 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/20 - Wrigley Field)
  • Options
    11.19.06 Newcastle, Aus. Opened with Alive ..... I love Sonos speakers :)
  • Options
    toronto 1 2011. gotta be in my top five shows.

I much preferred the 2nd night...... the first set on the Monday night was rockin'. There's never an off show. I haven't seen a show since Buffalo '13, I'm really hoping to get tickets to a show in 2015 - if they tour.
  • Options
    yeah the newark set on paper is amazing but the crowd was absolutely putrid. I remember sitting row 5 or 6 on the floor thinking to myself, this is the worst crowd I've ever been a part of! It finally got good after "go" but man was it dead in there. I think ed even said something along the lines of, "you guys want us to keep playing right?"
    JF I was extremely lucky to attend those four shows in 2010.
  • Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    Mansfield 2 2003
  • Options
    I think the set list on paper was better than the msg shows but there's a lot more to a show Than that. Of the four pj shows I went to in 2010 newark sadly ranks at a distant fourth. For me it was msg 2, Hartford, msg 1 and then newark.

Yeah, you're right about the set list doesn't make a show. The band does. And they were on fire that night, so for me it was the best from the 5 i saw that tour. For me it was Newark, MSG-1, MSG-2 & Hartford, and Bristow, Va.

• Options
    Rolling Stones
    Sept. 25th, 1981
    JFK Stadium
    Philly, Pa.

90,000 in the crowd for that show and there was some CRAZIES. Crowd was awesome but the band was sloppy. I had a BLAST though.
  • Options
    Salt lake city 1995
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Amsterdam 2/12/92

• Options
    Newark better than Hartford amd msg 2?!?! Wow.
    Going old school, Newcastle 2/22/92.