For the 2nd time this year my Badgers make OSU their BITCH

2»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,598
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I heard about this article but haven't read it yet. What does criminal record mean? Any conviction? I played soccer in college and technically had a "criminal record", I believe. I was hardly a problem to my program or school but had a record. Did the article look at what people were convicted of?

It might have been police record, not criminal record. I have no idea what the difference is. Either way if you're talking 20 out of 80 (or even 100) players that seems like a pretty high percentage.

just curious...where'd you play?

One year at Albany (D1), 3 years at St. Rose (D2), a small school in Albany. Once I realized I wasn't going to be a professional soccer player, I decided a smaller school was better for me. Was close to going to Temple, but someone got shot across the street from the game I was attending during my recruiting trip, true story.

I would just be curious to see how many of these are stupid alcohol related bullshit like mine or more serious convictions. It is a big percentage but athletes drink (especially 18 year olds), drinking leads to bad decisions...

drinking leads to awesome decisions. what are you talking about?
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

One year at Albany (D1), 3 years at St. Rose (D2), a small school in Albany. Once I realized I wasn't going to be a professional soccer player, I decided a smaller school was better for me. Was close to going to Temple, but someone got shot across the street from the game I was attending during my recruiting trip, true story.

I would just be curious to see how many of these are stupid alcohol related bullshit like mine or more serious convictions. It is a big percentage but athletes drink (especially 18 year olds), drinking leads to bad decisions...

HAAAA

That is some shit about the temple visit. definitely believable...that campus might as well be in baghdad
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    anyone read the cover story in SI this week? it's about college football players with criminal records and how coaches/universities turn their heads when admitting these kids to their programs.

Last year pitt had 22 players on their roster with a criminal record!!! That is insane.

The big ten schools are almost as bad.

Iowa had 18
    Penn St had 16
    Wisconsin had 9
    OSU had 7

I thought this was interesting. The story is a cool read.

I heard about this article but haven't read it yet. What does criminal record mean? Any conviction? I played soccer in college and technically had a "criminal record", I believe. I was hardly a problem to my program or school but had a record. Did the article look at what people were convicted of?

it lumps simple assault (idiot kids fighting after the bars let out and such) and drug/alcohol convictions in with more serious crimes like rape, robbery, assault and battery, etc etc etc.

i've got a couple minor things too. most people i know have had something along the same line at one point or another when we were younger. i don't think the article was entirely fair.

Yeah, see that's what I want to get at. I am sure the numbers or more serious crimes are much less. 18 year old athletes drink, 18 year old athletes fight. Fuck, Pat Tillman was an American hero and he had a pretty serious convication for a fight and hid it from ASU.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

HAAAA

That is some shit about the temple visit. definitely believable...that campus might as well be in baghdad

Well the decisions are always good at the time....

That shit was unreal, my parents were at the game to meet the coach and all after and he said "that doesn't happen every game" haha. Everyone hit the ground when they heard shots like it happend on a daily basis.
  • CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    mslkz.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    It's a shame the Badgers can't play every game at the Kohl Center or they might actually get out of the 2nd round of a tournament.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,971
    You may want to delete this thread now.
    not sure I agree with the entire thing but a good take.

http://deadspin.com/#!5795313/jim-tress ... fect-coach
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

definatly an interesting read. i still think he should have reported. i also think, players should be allowed to sell thier personal belongings.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

definatly an interesting read. i still think he should have reported. i also think, players should be allowed to sell thier personal belongings.

Yeah,I thought it was pretty interesting. There definitely has to be a way for college athletes to make some money considering they are not allowed to work.