Facebook Trouble at Work?... What to do?

KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So my employer has hired a "hacker, snitch, two faced, rat bastard" computer tech, to spy on employees' Facebook and other online accounts and activities. I personally am looking at a 10 day suspension for taking a sick day and attending a concert that same evening, which was AFTER work hours! Which is something they could only know if they saw my Facebook page.

My Facebook page is set completely to PRIVATE, only my "friends" can see my information, and none of them are coworkers, but some how my employer knows more information then they should. The trouble is, I have no direct proof, just hearsay and rumors.

Others in my company have been suspended and reprimanded for similar violations and are now on a "watch list" for using the internet during work hours and making unfavorable comments against the company. I don't have access to a computer during work, but most do.

I've read about similar things happening in a few other states and people have brought lawsuits against their employers for invasion of privacy and free speech laws. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, and if so what can I legally do about it, other than just deleting my accounts and limited my internet activity?

I work for a municipality of the state and it's all corrupt politics of course, with a team of layers, and our Union is completely useless! (My Union President is a pot smoking Phish fanatic for goodness sack!)

They're looking to get rid of anyone they can for any reason. So, I fear my options are limited and I was looking for some advice. Thanks!

- (Fearfully) Anonymous :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    If you are using their property (computer) then they can monitor and access whatever they want. This will happen more and more in the future. Get used to it. Trust me, I'm a professional HR guy.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    never post about your job online. ever.

don't call in sick to go to a concert. or at least don't post about it.

if they really want to get rid of someone, they can and will, with or without reason.

when in doubt, lawyer up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Isn't monitoring what you do on your personal time invasion of privacy? If you posted from home, that is.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    81 wrote:
    never post about your job online. ever.

don't call in sick to go to a concert. or at least don't post about it.

if they really want to get rid of someone, they can and will, with or without reason.

when in doubt, lawyer up.

The infant has wisdom that defies his years.

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Tell em you lied to impress a girl you know, stick to your story, they have no hard evidence.
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    That sucks balls! Hope you can work it out. :?
    Talking about Facebook, my friend was closing her work down for the day and went to turn off one of the computers when the screen came up with one of her co-workers Facebook pages. Nearly everyone in the place had been bitching about her on there and she rang me crying her eyes out. Felt so bad for her so I told her to print off that page and keep it just in case she ever needed it.
    In your case, I think it's a breach of privacy but in her's, I think if someone was dumb enough to leave that shit on her computer at work for her to find, she should get fired.
    Good luck dude! :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Sounds like your work just got a new department: The Ministry of Truth.

Better stock up on Victory Gin.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    What band did you see? I bet they were the snitches....
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    You mean the band he 'didn't' see! :?
    dcfaithful wrote:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have completely hidden from the public on facebook, there are more and more settings you have to dig thru to make you 'unsearchable' within the FB community.

yes employers are looking up employees, or potential employees on the site, and making decisions based on whatever they see on the site. Totally unfair if a friend has a potty mouth and swears on your wall...and apparently, there is no more 'what you do on your own time is your business' companies are looking out for themselves, and if an employee is their 'star employee', but goes out and parties every weekend, the company will find a 'reason' to fire that 'potentially harmful' employee.

in the last 2 jobs I worked at, I learned: never trust anybody that you work with 'everybody is a potential snitch'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Loulou wrote:
    You mean the band he 'didn't' see! :?
    dcfaithful wrote:

Oh, right...

well hopefully he isn't posting this at work!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    4and20 wrote:
    I have completely hidden from the public on facebook, there are more and more settings you have to dig thru to make you 'unsearchable' within the FB community.

yes employers are looking up employees, or potential employees on the site, and making decisions based on whatever they see on the site. Totally unfair if a friend has a potty mouth and swears on your wall...and apparently, there is no more 'what you do on your own time is your business' companies are looking out for themselves, and if an employee is their 'star employee', but goes out and parties every weekend, the company will find a 'reason' to fire that 'potentially harmful' employee.

in the last 2 jobs I worked at, I learned: never trust anybody that you work with 'everybody is a potential snitch'

i once filled out an online job ap that asked for links to your facebook, myspace, and linked in pages.

i didn't give them an answer to facebook. linked in doesn't bother me, because it's all professional.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Its the era of Big brother is watching you...
    It doesnt matter if your Facebook acount is totaly set on private,if you use another computer then you own you can be controled and even hacked...
    The web also has a dark side as you just found out....
    I love the web,but hate story s like this..

Good luck and keep your head up....and surf on the safe side..
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
    4and20 wrote:

I'd like to hear them justify that.

Lrod knows if I went snooping into my director's personal life and unveiled some "potentially harmful" behavior, I'd be canned instantly for invasion of privacy.

What the hell man, is this world losing it's complete appreciation for privacy and personal time?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    81 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

i once filled out an online job ap that asked for links to your facebook, myspace, and linked in pages.

i didn't give them an answer to facebook. linked in doesn't bother me, because it's all professional.
    You're not working for this company are you? :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    4and20 wrote:

That's the kind of paranoia I'm talkin' about! Good for you! :D

dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

no.

i can't even remember who it was.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

I'm unemployed right now...and am miffed because I may have lost out on potential jobs because they wanted people with 'social networking' skills, and couldn't find my page. I have the skills, I just like my private life private.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My opinion on this issue-->

I think it's a good idea to stay off the computer at work. I think it's a good idea not to put up anything negative related to your job online. I think it's probably not wise to believe that anything that you put up online is ever private. :geek:

I know of at least one acquaintance that lost a job over using the internet too much while on the job.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    4and20 wrote:
    I have the skills, I just like my private life private.

Something I think all employers should respect.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    Facebook :oops: talk about not having any Privacy that's your problem right there ..No matter how you think you have your settings all set if the powers that be wan't to see inside they will and they can ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • This is why I will never work in any office atmosphere again. The bad blood and backstabbing is horrid.
    Reading PA 2004
    Virginia Beach outside in the grass 2008
    Philly Spectrum night 2 2009
    New York MSG night 2 2010
    Montreal Bell Centre 2011
    eyedclaar wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

i agree with 4and20.

i have a rule that i won't be freinds with coworkers on facebook until after we no longer work together.

i try to avoid most out of office interaction with co workers. i ended up stuck in the middle of a firing after a birthday party turned sour at the bar. guy kissed a female coworker. she told somebody and eventually it made it to HR. i was called it to tell them what happened. he was fired that day on his way out he looked at me and said thanks. :lol: good times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    4and20 wrote:

only corporate, real job i had i got fired because i trusted my fellow coworkers who i thought were friends

as for facebook etc...unless you're doing at work, it's none of your employers business
    81 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

i agree with 4and20.

i have a rule that i won't be freinds with coworkers on facebook until after we no longer work together.

i try to avoid most out of office interaction with co workers. i ended up stuck in the middle of a firing after a birthday party turned sour at the bar. guy kissed a female coworker. she told somebody and eventually it made it to HR. i was called it to tell them what happened. he was fired that day on his way out he looked at me and said thanks. :lol: good times.

I have the same rules.

eyedclaar wrote:
    I have the same rules.

you are wise beyond your potatoe state

:P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I have the same rules.

you are wise beyond your potatoe state

:P

Light years... for the most part. But according to that one thread, I guess we Idahoans spend our time building computers. :?:

norm wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

only corporate, real job i had i got fired because i trusted my fellow coworkers who i thought were friends

as for facebook etc...unless you're doing at work, it's none of your employers business

my last job was NOT corporate...there were so many dirty things going on (business and management wise), I kept my mouth shut and kept working my ass off, never invited anybody to my house, rarely went out with the other girls, still got canned...illegally BTW....but whatever, small company, they can go #$#@&amp;%*+><?!@$##

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    4and20 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

my last job was NOT corporate...there were so many dirty things going on (business and management wise), I kept my mouth shut and kept working my ass off, never invited anybody to my house, rarely went out with the other girls, still got canned...illegally BTW....but whatever, small company, they can go #$#@&amp;%*+><?!@$##

:lol::lol:

funny thing is my supervisor who fired me was a kissass and when the people i directly worked for they told me i could come back and not have to work for him anymore

been self employed ever since :mrgreen:
    I'm thinking about going your route norm...seriously...I have a good idea, I just need to research stuff, put a plan together...

- Christopher McCandless