Suggestions/Advice

KR10KR10 Posts: 17
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I am need of some advice and or suggestions.

I was out the other night with a friend and I ended up meeting a really nice girl who I asked out.

We went out this past Saturday for dinner and a few drinks and had a really nice time. Before the date we had exchanged text messages and a few pone calls so we had a chance to get to know eachother a little bit which made it easier for the date.

We had a really nice time on the date and before we were even finished with our meals we made tentative plans to see eachother again (she is going out of town from today until Friday night).

She has a son and I know based on conversations that she will have her son this coming weekend.

My question is: Is it too early (after only one date) to ask her out on Valentines Day?

I was talking to another friend about this yesterday and I was convinced in my mind that there was no problem with asking her out for Valentines Day. She has given me every indication that she is intereseted in me (sending me a few text messages day after our date - Super Bowl Sunday - to see if I was having a good time at the party that I went to and later on to see if I was enjoying the game and to tell me about her day). I take this as a good sign so I thought it was a good idea and planned to ask her out on V Day.

Yesterday I was talking to another friend of mine who has put some doubt in my mind about asking her out on V Day. He stated that it was too soon and that Valentine's Day is for couples and not for second dates.

I am still thinking about asking her out because she seems interested in getting to know me (she even sent me a message a little while ago to let me know that she just got off her flight and that she made it safe - which I think is pretty cool - because I sent her a message this morning wishing her safe travels). I am of the thought that if I dont ask her out then she will be dissapointed and she would think that I am not interested (which I am).

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

What should I do here? I know that it would only be a second date but I dont want to scare this girl off if I ask her out on V Day or make her feel like I am not interested if I dont ask.

Thanks everyone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    If she seems shocked you ask her out just say 'oh I totally forgot it was Valentines day' play it cool champ.

Also, if date is successful, I think just a simple Rose would be in order, nothing too flashy but still speaks volumes.

Good luck, just sus it out...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    V-day is fine in my opinion. If she likes you and you like her, it doesn't matter if it Valentine's Day. If you had asked about when is a good time to meet the kid - that is a good ways away. I say V-Day is a go.
  • KR10KR10 Posts: 17
    I was thinking about the whole, "Would you like to go out on Monday," route (trying to avoid saying Valentine's Day). If she mentions that it is V Day then I will guess I will take it from there and judge her reaction. I am thinking about a restaurant that we were discussing on our first date (nice but not too expensive) and a rose (like you suggested pjfan31). Thanks for the suggestion.

Dissidentman, I am definately not asking when would be a good time to meet the kid yet (we discussed this on our date that she wont let anyone into her son's life unless it is someone that she is in a serious relationship with).

Thanks.
  • Don't second guess yourself. Never allow insecurities and friends to make your decisions for you. At the end of the day, it's all about what you want to do. Valentine's day is just another day in the grand scheme of it all. You have come this far so why hinder it now? Don't take my advice for it though. Do what you feel is right in your gut and stick with it. That's the best advice a friend can give you.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i will be marrying a girl next month....our first date was 2/13. i kinda thought it would be weird to have a first date on valentines. guess its really not a big deal though.

anywho---each year we celebrate our "vanniversary" and just combine the two days into one :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • GC31608GC31608 Posts: 229
    Hmmm, the thing is V-Day is on a Monday. Who really does a 2nd date on a Monday? I say you are right to wonder if it will scare her off. My advice is to wait until the following weekend (maybe Friday after V-Day) when she doesn't have her son.
  • Ask her out on V-day (as a girl, trust me you should), but also explain that you didn't want to "scare her off" (she'd appreciate that). With that said, get her some flowers (not talking a dozen roses), but something sweet like pink/ red carnations or possibly a small box of chocolates with a cute card. This way you're not going from "zero to sixty" on a second date. Since she has a son, you may want to get him a little something as well...this would mean a lot to her!

Just a few thoughts from a girl...

Hope this was helpful!
    :mrgreen:
    Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006; Madison Square Garden - Jun 24, 2008; Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 28, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 30, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009; The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010

Tres MTS. - Gramercy - Mar 26, 2011
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    i will be marrying a girl next month....our first date was 2/13. i kinda thought it would be weird to have a first date on valentines. guess its really not a big deal though.

anywho---each year we celebrate our "vanniversary" and just combine the two days into one :mrgreen:

You're getting off easy.

Thats a great story and makes me feel better about standing by my initial feeling which was to go ahead and ask her out.

Thanks.

That just sounds like you consumated the relationship in an Econoline 350...
    Who knows, ask her on vday and it might become vday for another reason... ;)

But she has a good plan with the kid. SHe sounds like she has her head screwed on right. I know a kid and his mum is hot.... like 9.5 out of 10 hot. The kid is 10 and in the few years I have known him she has had several boyfriends and he has gotten attached to a few.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    v-day is psycho for going out to eat...if you want to take her out on Monday, make reservations now...can't just walk in and be all 'hi table for 2'.

SO and I went to 6 different restuarants last year on Vday before deciding to go to the drive thru...just say, I'd like to see you on Monday, but the restuarants are crazy, wanna go out on Tuesday? (that is if you want to skip Monday)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    v-day is psycho for going out to eat...if you want to take her out on Monday, make reservations now...can't just walk in and be all 'hi table for 2'.

SO and I went to 6 different restuarants last year on Vday before deciding to go to the drive thru...just say, I'd like to see you on Monday, but the restuarants are crazy, wanna go out on Tuesday? (that is if you want to skip Monday)

C U Next Tuesday... Great advice 4and20!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Who knows, ask her on vday and it might become vday for another reason... ;) ...

you have no plans monday do you?? :P :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    4and20 wrote:

:wave: meet you at your bar? you better have those bacon waffles damnit!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Ask her out on V-day (as a girl, trust me you should), but also explain that you didn't want to "scare her off" (she'd appreciate that). With that said, get her some flowers (not talking a dozen roses), but something sweet like pink/ red carnations or possibly a small box of chocolates with a cute card. This way you're not going from "zero to sixty" on a second date. Since she has a son, you may want to get him a little something as well...this would mean a lot to her!

Hope this was helpful!

This was helpful. Thanks for the advice. I asked a girl I work with and she said that I definaltey need to ask her out. You posed it a good way (tell her I am not trying to scare her off but see if she wants to go out then). I dont know about the gift for the kid because I havent met him yet and if things work out between her and I it seems like it will be a while before I meet him. Thanks again.
    4and20 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

:wave: meet you at your bar? you better have those bacon waffles damnit!

Don't joke about Eyed's deity like that....
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    sex on valentine's day
    sure dates are good
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    sex on valentine's day
    sure dates are good

that might be a little soon chad
    some girls have time-frame rules...'no nookie until after X dates'

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    4and20 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    sex on valentine's day
    sure dates are good

that's dumb.
    never let rules slow ya down.
    dates/# of them... bullshit rule

two adults are interested in one another, they like each other, go.
    bullshit-dates are for people who still watch mr. rogers.
    poetry needs written dammit.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

That just sounds like you consumated the relationship in an Econoline 350...

you say that like it's a bad thing
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    chadwick wrote:
    4and20 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    sex on valentine's day
    sure dates are good

that's dumb.
    never let rules slow ya down.
    dates/# of them... bullshit rule

two adults are interested in one another, they like each other, go.
    bullshit-dates are for people who still watch mr. rogers.
    poetry needs written dammit.

I wrote poetry before I got some. Then again we were like thousand of miles away.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'd pm likeanocean. he is the resident love guru.....or is that goober :?: :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    4and20 wrote:
    you better have those bacon waffles damnit!

AET tent. :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    81 wrote:
    i'd pm likeanocean. he is the resident love guru.....or is that goober :?: :|
    He's in the same boat.
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Who knows, ask her on vday and it might become vday for another reason... ;) ...

I actually do....

I have big plans with not one, but 3 hotties

dollsx.jpg
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • KR10 wrote:
    Ask her out on V-day (as a girl, trust me you should), but also explain that you didn't want to "scare her off" (she'd appreciate that). With that said, get her some flowers (not talking a dozen roses), but something sweet like pink/ red carnations or possibly a small box of chocolates with a cute card. This way you're not going from "zero to sixty" on a second date. Since she has a son, you may want to get him a little something as well...this would mean a lot to her!

Hope this was helpful!

This was helpful. Thanks for the advice. I asked a girl I work with and she said that I definaltey need to ask her out. You posed it a good way (tell her I am not trying to scare her off but see if she wants to go out then). I dont know about the gift for the kid because I havent met him yet and if things work out between her and I it seems like it will be a while before I meet him. Thanks again.

Glad I can help!! How old is the little man? I was thinking of a stuffed animal (or something along those lines)! If there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to drop me a PM! :mrgreen:
    Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006; Madison Square Garden - Jun 24, 2008; Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 28, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 30, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009; The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010

Tres MTS. - Gramercy - Mar 26, 2011
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613

You're getting off easy.

i do have xmas in december followed by her birthday in january and then this thing in february--that's a dreaded 1-2-3 punch..........wow and i just realized our wedding anniversary will be in march beginning next year. :shock:
    www.myspace.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pjfan31 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

I actually do....

I have big plans with not one, but 3 hotties

dollsx.jpg

hmmmm okey dokey then................... :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I don't think it is too soon if it is kept casual. Who says that Valentine's day is for couples; isn't it just for people who share feelings for one another? I say go for it. She'd probably rather spend it with you than alone. :D