Sneeze etiquette

2»

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i heard suppressing your sneeze is really bad on your heart
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Didn't they used to say "God bless you" because they believed a sneeze was your soul trying to escape? :? Just what I have heard.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    From Wiki:
    Various alleged but conflicting superstitions relating the sneeze to evil spirits. This includes beliefs that a sneeze could release one's soul, thus leading to its possible capture by lurking evil spirits (as explained in the "Historic instances and practices" section), or that the evil spirits could enter the body through the open mouth of a sneezing individual, or that the individual is sneezing out sins or evil spirits which had taken residence within the body and is thus in need of the blessing to prevent the exorcised spirits from re-entering the body. Some proponents of this last theory have further suggested that it was bad luck to open the mouth again to thank the person who uttered "Bless you" for fear of circumventing the original purpose of the blessing.
    Some say it came into use during the black death pandemics of the 14th century. Blessing the individual after showing such a symptom was thought to prevent possible impending death due to the lethal disease.
    In Renaissance times a superstition was formed claiming one's heart stopped for a very brief moment during the sneeze, saying bless you was a sign of prayer that the heart wouldn't fail possibly the devil's doing by sending demons to clasp the heart in the body's moment of shock from the sneeze.
    A polite way of congratulating the sneezer for his or her impending good luck as signaled by the sneeze.[citation needed]
    In non-English-speaking cultures, words referencing good health or a long life are used instead of "Bless you".

what they say in other countries:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responses_to_sneezing
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Well spank my arse and call me Basil! My Mum was right! Mind you, she did also used to tell me that if your toes hang out the bed when it's bedtime, Jack Frost will bite them off?? :? :? Hence, I was a very good girl and stayed in bed! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    iluvcats wrote:
    I say excuse me if I am in the middle of a conversation with someone and I sneeze

and I always say "bless you" even to perfect strangers on the train

not too many people say bless you any more, I don't know why

I noticed when my coworkers will say "bless you" to this one guy, he does not answer.
    I heard if you hold in a sneeze, the germs go back into your head...

i too do not answer if someone takes it upon themselves to bless me. i will however answer questions. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    iluvcats wrote:
    I say excuse me if I am in the middle of a conversation with someone and I sneeze

and I always say "bless you" even to perfect strangers on the train

not too many people say bless you any more, I don't know why

I noticed when my coworkers will say "bless you" to this one guy, he does not answer.

i too do not answer if someone takes it upon themselves to bless me. i will however answer questions. 8-)

okay cate, I'll ask you...if you do not say anything, is it because:
    a) you do not believe in being blessed for the sneeze
    or
    b) you do not want others to aknowledge your existance
    or
    c) ?

not being facetious...I just would like an explanation for a possibility of one's non-reply when I am just being courteous.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Once was involved in the care of a guy who suppressed a sneeze and caused a traumatic injury to his airway that required surgical intervention. It was a tiny hole that caused air to leak into the subcutaneous layer (instead of passing to the lung, as nature intended), causing his neck to swell up to his jaw area.

Nobody had seen that particular etiology before. It was interesting.

So don't suppress a sneeze. But, at the same time, don't feel you have to baptize passersby in your high-velocity expulsion of mucus.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    4and20 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

or
    or
    c) ?

not being facetious...I just would like an explanation for a possibility of one's non-reply when I am just being courteous.

how does not wanting to be blessed equate to my not wanting my existence acknowledged?

as a godless heathen i find it offensive when someone feels the need to bless me. its that simple. i dont make a big deal out of it. i just choose to ignore what i see as:

a) a religious practise

and/or

b) a habit fortified by years and years of mindless rote.

do you feel the need to bless someone when the fart? if not, why not? its just an expulsion of air like a sneeze is.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• do you feel the need to bless someone when the fart? if not, why not? its just an expulsion of air like a sneeze is.
    :lol: no but it would be funny. I'm gonna start doing that :lol::lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

do you feel the need to bless someone when the fart? if not, why not? its just an expulsion of air like a sneeze is.

I suggest something more fitting, like:

"Kudos to your intestinal propulsion!"

"That's the bomb-diggity!"

Or perhaps, "Salutations to you, too!"
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

keep us updated. :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

• do you feel the need to bless someone when the fart? if not, why not? its just an expulsion of air like a sneeze is.

I suggest something more fitting, like:

"Kudos to your intestinal propulsion!"

"That's the bomb-diggity!"

Or perhaps, "Salutations to you, too!"
    :lol: I might try all of those and see which gets the best response.

I will report back :|
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Half Full wrote:
    I say "excuse me" when I sneeze.
    and I always bless a sneezer.

I especially like to bless a sneezer when I hear one coming from another aisle while shopping.
    "God Bless You" I yell over the top of the aisle.

Nothing ever comes back though.
    I guess they think "she's gotta be blessing somebody else"

This one made me giggle the most. It must be one hell of a blessing if it's coming all the way from another supermarket aisle. :lol:
    4and20 wrote:

or
    or
    c) ?

how does not wanting to be blessed equate to my not wanting my existence acknowledged?

as a godless heathen i find it offensive when someone feels the need to bless me. its that simple. i dont make a big deal out of it. i just choose to ignore what i see as:

a) a religious practise

and/or

do you feel the need to bless someone when the fart? if not, why not? its just an expulsion of air like a sneeze is.[/quote]

I never gave you an: 'either' 'or' option...I gave you 3...
    I don't believe in an entity called 'god' or whatever either, and growing up, I learned that 'in the olden days people thought one's heart stopped when they sneezed, so we say 'bless you' because the person has 'survived a sneeze' so whatever silliness I learned in whatever public school system is to blame.
    When a person belches loudly and does not say 'excuse me', I do say 'My goodness! Bless You!' the person is usually embarassed and says 'excuse me'...most people will laugh as well.
    In the company of close friends...usually male, when they pass gas, I will say, 'bless you...or your a$$ for that matter!' ask Mr 4/20.....but I don't usually run into that many public farters....
    I don't go around blessing people either...I only really say it to people I know/work with...if they don't say 'thanks' I won't say 'bless you' to them again.
    Don't worry cate, if ever in your company, and you sneeze I won't say a peep. 8-)

- Christopher McCandless
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,002
    Gonna have to go with the german saying option.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    4and20 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:
    or
    or
    c) ?

a) a religious practise

and/or

I never gave you an: 'either' 'or' option...I gave you 3...

I don't believe in an entity called 'god' or whatever either, and growing up, I learned that 'in the olden days people thought one's heart stopped when they sneezed, so we say 'bless you' because the person has 'survived a sneeze' so whatever silliness I learned in whatever public school system is to blame.
    When a person belches loudly and does not say 'excuse me', I do say 'My goodness! Bless You!' the person is usually embarassed and says 'excuse me'...most people will laugh as well.
    In the company of close friends...usually male, when they pass gas, I will say, 'bless you...or your a$$ for that matter!' ask Mr 4/20.....but I don't usually run into that many public farters....
    I don't go around blessing people either...I only really say it to people I know/work with...if they don't say 'thanks' I won't say 'bless you' to them again.
    Don't worry cate, if ever in your company, and you sneeze I won't say a peep. 8-)

now your questioning the way i answered your question? i dont care if you gave me an either/or option. you gave me my opening by leaving the 3rd option a blank question. i answered your question as i saw fit.

and by your response about 'in the olden days' i can see that you are unaware that blessing someones life/survival of a simple sneeze ffs has religion connotations. otherwise what are you blessing and why? you may not believe in god but someone did when they thought that blessing up. and yes i grew up with it too. doesnt mean i have to continue it just to be courteous once i understood its origins. and that is why blessing is anathema to me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm with Cate... guy at my work says it whenever anyone sneezes... gets tedious after a while.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    4and20 wrote:
    cool beans 4and20.
    i will say bless you to cate frances all day long.
    im doing it right now before i have coffee & toast.
    cate frances is in my prayer.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • In my office I usually yell "Go home ya sick bastad!!"

Then I drink an 8oz glass of OJ
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill