Sneeze etiquette

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I never say "excuse me" if I sneeze. I see it as involuntary.

What is the proper sneeze etiquette? Twice, I have had office mates that say excuse me if they sneeze.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    belches are also involuntary...do you let it rip and not say anything?
    I can squelch a sneeze...if someone looks at me funny, I say 'bless me'...even in cases of me not catching the sneeze in time.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • When somebody sneezes the proper response is to say "You are SO good looking." :|
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Just watched an old re-run of MythBusters and they were determining the best way to "catch" a sneeze... They tried 3 methods of trying to contain the spead of a sneeze breeze.

Blocking it with your face in your elbow seemed to work quite well as opposed to trying to stop it with your hand in front of your mouth/nose. The hand blockage method left sputum and snot up to 8 feet away in almost a 180 degree fan...

So I would guess your office mates were just asking for an apology up front for hauking? up some green grime and depositing it on your coffee mug. :D
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • There's a big dumb bastard in my office who makes no effort to hold back and never ever covers a sneeze in any way....leans forwards and sprays it all over the place....nasty bastard.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    There's a big dumb bastard in my office who makes no effort to hold back and never ever covers a sneeze in any way....leans forwards and sprays it all over the place....nasty bastard.

Either that or he is genius...

Ever ask that guy for help? or to borrow a pen?

Nope.
  • There's a big dumb bastard in my office who makes no effort to hold back and never ever covers a sneeze in any way....leans forwards and sprays it all over the place....nasty bastard.

Nope.
    Ah very good point you make.
    Perhaps that is the reason I never ask him for help deep in my subconscious
    And all this time I've thought it was just because he is dumb as a box of rocks
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    There's a big dumb bastard in my office who makes no effort to hold back and never ever covers a sneeze in any way....leans forwards and sprays it all over the place....nasty bastard.

Nope.
    Ah very good point you make.
    Perhaps that is the reason I never ask him for help deep in my subconscious
    And all this time I've thought it was just because he is dumb as a box of rocks

Again - genius...

;)
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i don't care as long as its in your arm.

nothing beats a couple of students we have who blow snot rockets into their hands... i guess they don't have kleenex in somolia.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    the problem is that there is no objectivity.
    fox news pretty much defies the laws of journalism

they shouldn't be called fox news, they should be called fox entertainment weekly.
    glenn beck is not a journalist, not a newscaster... he's just an act spreading hate in exchange for legions of idiots willing to buy his books.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Hmmm.

They sneeze on Fox?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I say excuse me if I am in the middle of a conversation with someone and I sneeze

and I always say "bless you" even to perfect strangers on the train

not too many people say bless you any more, I don't know why
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Yes, I think "bless me" or "bless you" is appropriate for sneezing. "Excuse me" also works, and for goodness sake try to contain it with a tissue or the inside of your arm....do not sneeze in your hand and then touch anything!
    Also...do not wipe your nose on your sleeve! I've seen kids do this and always offer a tissue...but when I saw a grown up do it last week I was so grossed out I almost missed the green light! Lessson learned...keep your eyes on the road and do not look at drivers in the car beside you. ;)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    When somebody sneezes the proper response is to say "You are SO good looking." :|
    Exactly!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    4and20 wrote:
    belches are also involuntary...do you let it rip and not say anything?

lol at let it rip. that's a good point. I do say excuse me if I "belch."

I don't sneeze all over people. I try to get away and sneeze in my own space.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I say excuse me if I am in the middle of a conversation with someone and I sneeze

I noticed when my coworkers will say "bless you" to this one guy, he does not answer.
    I heard if you hold in a sneeze, the germs go back into your head...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I just sneezed while driving and then smelled honey. Just thought I'd share..

In any event, I try to stop myself from sneezing. Everyone has to cover their mouth when they cough, why is a sneeze any different? There are more germs in a sneeze.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I say "excuse me" when I sneeze.
    and I always bless a sneezer.

I especially like to bless a sneezer when I hear one coming from another aisle while shopping.
    "God Bless You" I yell over the top of the aisle.

Nothing ever comes back though.
    I guess they think "she's gotta be blessing somebody else"
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    My sneezes seem to disturb everyone. Apparently, my sneez is the equivalent of an very loud and abrupt shout without any time of warning.

But damn, it feels good. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

I don't say "God bless you", because I can't say I fully believe in God. :? (different discussion)

I guess I could say "bless you" though. :oops:

Perhaps I should just take into account others beliefs on this matter?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    iluvcats wrote:

"Hello...My name is Germ Head"

I have to hold them in....most of my sneezes are big loud sneezes...and I'm a petite person...so when I sneeze, more people stare at me than if I just squeeze my nose and hold it in....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 4and20 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I have to hold them in....most of my sneezes are big loud sneezes...and I'm a petite person...so when I sneeze, more people stare at me than if I just squeeze my nose and hold it in....
    It's actually quite dangerous... You could do damage to your inner ear... As someone who did it, don't do that...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    It's actually quite dangerous... You could do damage to your inner ear... As someone who did it, don't do that...

What?
    4and20 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

VoidOfMan wrote:

What?

EH?!? Shpeek up Shunny! Ay Chant heer ya too good.....

.....and I thought it was all the concerts I went to when I would go stage diving....ok. big loud sneezes....you'll be sorry when you meet me BD......

- Christopher McCandless
  • 4and20 wrote:
    EH?!? Shpeek up Shunny! Ay Chant heer ya too good.....

.....and I thought it was all the concerts I went to when I would go stage diving....ok. big loud sneezes....you'll be sorry when you meet me BD......
    I'll be the guy in this outfit or of course you can tell from the Hi My Name is BD tag...

hazmat-suit-blue.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    in the MT this thread was locked after a slight battle royal.
    i think.....

maybe im seeing things again

hhhaaaacchhheewww... "bless you" says the fish to the elf.
    the elf whoops some ass...

some elves dislike "bless you"

that's a rowdy group
    santa and company
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chadwick wrote:
    i think.....

that's a rowdy group
    santa and company

yeah, you might want to sit this thread out. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    i think.....

that's a rowdy group
    santa and company

yeah, you might want to sit this thread out. :lol:
    will do
    good advice, 81
    :silent:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 4and20 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

Same here... mine are pretty loud... and they go on forever... I can't sneeze once... or twice... or even three times, it just keeps going on and on and on :oops: . I've done my back in sneezing before :oops: it's not fun :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Same here... mine are pretty loud... and they go on forever... I can't sneeze once... or twice... or even three times, it just keeps going on and on and on :oops: . I've done my back in sneezing before :oops: it's not fun :(

Ever had a sneezing fit with broken ribs? That's a torture best reserved for like the 9th level of hell.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    I googled sneeze etiquette and you are supposed to say excuse me.

I was obviously raised w/o manners. :)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more