Options

J Mascis

2»

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    Moon Is arrived today! Going to spin it tonight. 

Excellent!
    I was hoping it would show up here today.  Nope, looks like I have to wait until next week.
    Spin, spin, Dude!
    Just finished. Sounds awesome and J's guitar tones are F-O-U-L filthy!

I can't ever get enough of that guy's playing. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    Moon Is arrived today! Going to spin it tonight. 

Excellent!
    I was hoping it would show up here today.  Nope, looks like I have to wait until next week.
    Spin, spin, Dude!
    Just finished. Sounds awesome and J's guitar tones are F-O-U-L filthy!

I can't ever get enough of that guy's playing. 

Cool!  Now I'm definitely stoked!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    My copy of Moon Is showed up yesterday but no flexi disc.  I guess I ordered to late to get it.  In any case, looking forward to the first play today!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    brianlux said:
    My copy of Moon Is showed up yesterday but no flexi disc.  I guess I ordered to late to get it.  In any case, looking forward to the first play today!
    Glad it arrived! Also, please let me know if you think track one is very Santana-ish. That was my first impression, anyway.

Enjoy!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:
    Glad it arrived! Also, please let me know if you think track one is very Santana-ish. That was my first impression, anyway.

Enjoy!

Will do, thanks!  I still haven't had a chance to give it a play but will check in when I do.

• Options

dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

Enjoy!

OK!  Here's my take on Moon Is:
    1. Danny. Maybe its due to power of suggestion being involved here, but this one definitely has shades of Santana- especially J's guitar tone on this one.  Is that what you heard?
    2. Crushed.  I'm not sure why, but early on in this one I heard hints of Scottish music.  I also thought some of it sounded much like Rush.  The guitar solo is definitely  J-ish!
    3.  Moon Is.  An interesting slab of doomer sludge.
    4.String Along.  Didn't like this one as much.  Kind of felt like it strung along a bit too much.  The guitar overdubs were a bit too obvious, but kind of interesting too.
    5. Eyevoid.  Both the title and sound of this one reminds me of some of the stuff my friend Andy has done with his band Carlton Melton.  Andy will like this if he hasn't already heard it.
    6. Another good doomer. I think it must be a healthy form of therapy for J to do this kind of heavy despair-rock now and then.  I did like this one.

Overall, quite good.  I have to say- and this surely has much to do with my hearing damage- a whole album of heavy guitar freak out by anybody wears on me a bit.  I get to a point where I want to hear some vocal and other instruments.  But that's just me.  This is definitely worth having- maybe just a side at a time next time.