Sure Sign You Are Getting Old....

g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Where do I start since I'm old as dirt. I just came back from the emergency clinic and I found out I've gout. I've had some painful things happen to me but this one is in the top 5 for sure. I woke up Thursday morning and I couldn't walk, the pain was somewhere between a 10+ migraine headache and a 10+ toothache in my left foot. Then it started to spread over to my right foot. I was ready to chop the sucker off. The Pain laughed at the meds I took as it had NO effect.

At my my age in the mornings everything just hurts like *drek*. It ain't no fun getting old and I care for the wealthy older generation by trying to keep them young. Go figure. ;)

I have a b-day soon and when I reach 100 just put me under please.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    1st tip re gout - WATER! My ex-husband had it & he upped his water drinking & it helped so much. Makes sense I guess, helps wash the uric acid out maybe. So there ya go, become a water bottle carrying person & slug from it all day,everyday long. HTH. Oh yeah & no gin, no whisky, no oysters, bla bla.... the usual stuff but WATER = #1!!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    oh c'mon, no one here is old as dirt like I am. Eddie Vedder is 5 yrs right behind me.
    have you looked up the list of gout triggers? alot of green vegetables we need are triggers
    like spinach and peas. Foods with purines are triggers. Sadly beer and wine may be.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    g under p - not had gout but yes, have seen patients with it and it's incredibly painful. Hope it clears up soon.

It's funny as soon as I turned 40 I started to fall to bits.

Eyes - now need reading glasses, my optician put it down to 'age'
    Gall bladder - went all manky, gave me pancreatitus and eventually had to come out
    Toenails - I've had four off since turning 40, embarrasingly I opted to get them removed as I knew long term they were going to cause me problems and I had my decreasing circulation to consider
    Teeth - never my best asset, but seem to be getting less and less of them.
    Weight - is becoming an increasing problem in my 40's
    Skin - well it doesn't fit as well as it used to, but I've also had to have a mole removed, a cyst removed, it looks like another one is going to have to go. I've also had skin tags burnt off too - wouldn't recommend it smelled like a dodgy bbq

There's probably other things too, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited January 2011
    Oh sheesh, hope you feel better g!

And you don't feel old as dirt, I DO!!!
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited January 2011
    I'm sorry to hear you're in pain! :|

I started really noticing my age last year when my eyes started to change.
    I guess first it's one thing deteriorating, and then another, and another! :x
    :?
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    What?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    ^^^^ :lol:
    Sorry to hear this...seems gout is on the rise
    whats up with that? I may have a new conspiracy theory ;)
    hope the meds, I'm sure they prescribed, help get it under control and bring quick relief
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    38 years old
    feel 114

but for some reason i can't die
    i am grateful for that
    so i am trying to heal myself

again, one moment at a time (one minute at a time i guess, or seconds)
    it will be something when i can live one day at a time
    i am not at that level of achievement yet
    im working on that
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    When I was young, I had to walk uphill to school in the snow... both ways.

Kids today...

Sorry for you pain... Drink water.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    What?
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    What?
    N299.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    *wants to read thread but can't find reading glasses* :twisted:
    When I was young, I had to walk uphill to school in the snow... both ways.

Kids today...

Sorry for you pain... Drink water.

you are a young whippersnapper
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    norm wrote:

Get off my lawn!
    g under, you are NOT 95, lol....
    what brought on the gout, did you eat lunch meat? bacon?
    I feel sorry for my hubby if he ever gets gout b/c he is the lunch meat king.
    how old are you? come on, now don't be shy. I'll bet we have 55 year olds here.
    my great great Aunt used to get it and it was all red. she was overweight.
    she had high bp and donated her body to science when she died :(
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    iluvcats wrote:
    g under, you are NOT 95, lol....
    what brought on the gout, did you eat lunch meat? bacon?
    I feel sorry for my hubby if he ever gets gout b/c he is the lunch meat king.
    how old are you? come on, now don't be shy. I'll bet we have 55 year olds here.
    my great great Aunt used to get it and it was all red. she was overweight.
    she had high bp and donated her body to science when she died :(

I'm feeling 100% better after getting an injection Allopurinol along with a prescription Motrin. The medical staff at the emergency clinic was awesome in that I was relatively in and out considering they were maybe 20-30 people waiting.

As far as how this came about is still puzzling and it just came out nowhere was shocking to me. I don't drink, I exercise regularly except for the last 2 weeks here in DC, I eat right I believe fruits and weggies etc. The only thing I can think of is that I haven't been drinking alot of water and I've been eat a ton of blueberries and oatmeal.

I know I'm getting really old when at one time I could dunk a basketball, had eagle eyes in playing goaltender in hockey, hit a softball 320 feet and was #2 rifleman on my college rifleteam. Now I doubt if I could touch the nets, swing a bat and my eyes well they are all but gone but hey I'm still kicking, walking through all the stages of life, just have to make adjustments as they come. Hell it could be worse as the 50's are here to stay. :D

Peace everybody and thanks for all the advice.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I'm 24, nearly 25 , and on cold mornings all my old injuries from my sporting days hurt. Both ankles go, the old broken fingers, the old dislocated wrist, broken elbows. Then I have tight hammies at the best of times, and it takes ages for them to warm up. SO I have to shuffle out.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    norm wrote:

:lol:
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I'm 24, nearly 25 , and on cold mornings all my old injuries from my sporting days hurt. Both ankles go, the old broken fingers, the old dislocated wrist, broken elbows. Then I have tight hammies at the best of times, and it takes ages for them to warm up. SO I have to shuffle out.
    And you live in a warm country. It'll be fun when you're in your 50s. :lol:

Forget the dodgy sight, weight gain, teeth and hair falling out. The worst thing is the memory loss. I meet people I've known for years but haven't seen for about 5 and I can't remember their names. It's extremely embarrassing.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    iluvcats wrote:

Ah Ha...I think you've found the culprit. Since working with my new clients I've eating practically everyday oatmeal and blueberries. I've stopped the blueberries but had some oatmeal again this morning. That's going to be the last time for awhile, so nice to solve a puzzle thanks.

Peace

Sure Sign You Are Getting Old....

when you hurt the day after from the bar stool the night before :?

my achey breaky everything!
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    The people prepping for their driver's license tests this year were born the year No Code came out. :?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    norm wrote:

Get off my lawn!
    and the funny man himself, disman.
    a comical fellow.

speaking of funny families.
    where's your brother, dunkman?

you both are old.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    your body suddenly sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies: snap, crackle, pop :lol:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    I'm glad I helped you. I know a guy who keeps getting gout and he's 50-51. He can barely walk :(
    That's when I began researching it online and then you mentioned oatmeal (which I love!) and I did
    not recall it was on the gout inducer list. So it's a medium inducer but then if you are eating
    buckets of it, there you go. My mom claimed hers flaired up from peas. I had peas today with tilapia.
    I hope I don't have a flare up. Plus I just began using my exercise bike again today b/c I've gained
    4 lbs (oink oink.) I read that alot of extra exercise can cause it. Somebody mentioned drinking lots
    of water to help. The guy I know with gout only drinks diet coke. and I know he loves beer and wine.
    He showed me a pic of him when he was in college and he was really good looking. Now sadly
    he weighs about 400 lbs :(
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • When you are the only one who shows up at the class reunion :lol:
    I found this and always heard gout was a rich mans disease...fancy alcohols, steak, rich meals
    but I see now other things including high blood pressure meds can cause it

Gout Causes

Uric acid is generated as the body's tissues are broken down during normal cell turnover. Some people with gout generate too much uric acid (10%). Other people with gout do not effectively eliminate their uric acid into the urine (90%). Genetics, gender, and nutrition (alcoholism, obesity) play key roles in the development of gout.

If your parents have gout, then you have a 20% chance of developing it.

British people are five times more likely to develop gout.

American blacks, but not African blacks, are more likely to have gout than other populations.

Intake of alcoholic beverages, especially beer, increases the risk for gout.

Diets rich in red meats, internal organs, yeast, and oily fish increase the risk for gout.

Uric acid levels increase at puberty in men and at menopause in women, so men first develop gout at an earlier age (after puberty) than do women (after menopause). Gout in premenopausal women is distinctly unusual.
    Attacks of gouty arthritis can be precipitated when there is a sudden change in uric acid levels, which may be caused by

overindulgence in alcohol and red meats,

trauma,

starvation and dehydration,

IV contrast dyes

chemotherapy,

medications,

diuretics and some other hypertensive medications,

aspirin,
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    g under p wrote:
    Where do I start since I'm old as dirt. I just came back from the emergency clinic and I found out I've gout. I've had some painful things happen to me but this one is in the top 5 for sure. I woke up Thursday morning and I couldn't walk, the pain was somewhere between a 10+ migraine headache and a 10+ toothache in my left foot. Then it started to spread over to my right foot. I was ready to chop the sucker off. The Pain laughed at the meds I took as it had NO effect.

At my my age in the mornings everything just hurts like *drek*. It ain't no fun getting old and I care for the wealthy older generation by trying to keep them young. Go figure. ;)

I have a b-day soon and when I reach 100 just put me under please.

Peace

Oh g under p something about the rich way you described this really made me giggle :D it may be the word "gout" that did it ... I am sorry for your discomfort and pain :cry:
    I am 41 and in the last year if I sit to long I can hardly walk when I get up again ... I seem to have seized up :lol: and every small movement is accompanied by an audible "groan" ... :wtf: I'm only 41!
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    You're asleep, but others worry that you're dead.
    You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.
    You can live without sex, but not without glasses.
    Your back goes out more than you do.
    You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
    You buy a compass for the dash of your car.
    You are proud of your lawn mower.
    Your best friend is dating someone half their age... And isn't breaking any laws.
    Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.
    You sing along with the elevator music.
    You would rather go to work than stay home sick.
    You enjoy hearing about other people's operations.
    You consider coffee one of the most important things in life.
    You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
    People call at 9 pm. And ask, "Did I wake you?"
    You answer a question with "Because I said so!"
    The end of your tie doesn't come anywhere near the top of your pants.
    You take a metal detector to the beach.
    You wear black socks with sandals.
    You can't remember the last time you laid on the floor to watch television.
    Your ears are hairier than your head.
    You talk about "good grass" and you're referring to someone's lawn.
    You get into a heated argument about pension plans.
    You got cable for the weather channel.
    You can go bowling without drinking.

Unfortunately at 29 I can relate to some on these!
    all you need is love, love is all you need