Small Guitar Amp 15-30 watts

qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 782
edited April 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I need a small amp for practicing in my apartment. I was going to pick up an Orange Crush, but was told they suck. So now I'm trying to chose between a Traynor Dynagain 15 or a Roland Cube 30. Any comments or suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GeertGeert Posts: 101
    What about a VOX Valvetronix VT30? I have one and it sounds amazing!
    Antwerp 30-08-2006, Paris 11-09-2006, Berlin 23-09-2006.
    Düsseldorf 21-06-2007, Nijmegen 28-06-2007, Werchter 29-06-2007.
    London Shepherd's Bush 11-08-2009, Rotterdam 13-08-2009.
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010, Berlin 30-06-2010, Arras 04-07-2010,
    Werchter 05-07-2010, Manchester 20-06-2012, Amsterdam 26-06-2012, Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Werchter 29-06-2012, Berlin 04-07-2012, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014, Werchter 05-07-2014
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    If you can't go tube, I like the Line 6 Spyder stuff. Has come a long way.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Peavey
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you've got a relatively decent computer, get a line6 UX1 interface which comes with POD Farm 2. it sounds very good.

If it's only for the apartment, i wouldn't even bother with a physical amp.
  • I have the orange crush 20ldx. I got it as a little practice/lesson amp for my students. (I run my own music school and teach around 50 some students a week).

I got it because A. It was cheap B. Had a good amount of effects options. C. Needed something quiet yet fun.

It has a GREAT clean sound and reverb on it. I truly love the clean tone. The gain and overdrive are not so hot. However, with my ocd on it, its fine. I did expect a better gain from orange, but DID nOT expect the clean to be so great.

$150 and it arrived overnight. No complaints. And everyone generally loves it. Except for my high gain kids (Slipknotters and Nu Metal guys :) )

I was going to get the little Fender Champion 600 (tube), but went with the orange for the effects range for my students. Champion is 5 watts. And if it is for apartment use, you DO NOT NEED 30 watts. If you get into jam sessions or full band then yes. If I was going to get it strictly for me, and spend 150 or less, maybe go that route.

Heres a video demo link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx7jT6UFo40&feature=related
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Havent heard the traynor, but looks decent and good price. Couldnt find a demo on it though
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Tube: Fender Blues Jr. or Pro Jr.
    SS: Crates and Peavey (transtube) amps are great. I have a Fender Frontman that gets the job done. Switch out the speakers, though...it changes a LOT
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Geert wrote:
    What about a VOX Valvetronix VT30? I have one and it sounds amazing!

Looking into Vox, however I think they may be a more expensive than some of the other amps I'm looking at.
    If you can't go tube, I like the Line 6 Spyder stuff. Has come a long way.

I've already got more tube than I can handle. Fender 59' Bassman (4x10) and a Fender Deville (4x10) :shock: So I have enough Tube powered volume to bring down my apartment building. Hence the need for something smaller. I will look into Line 6, but I've read that they sound tinny compared to other amps.
    Peavey

My first amp was a Peavy.
    exhausted wrote:
    if you've got a relatively decent computer, get a line6 UX1 interface which comes with POD Farm 2. it sounds very good.

If it's only for the apartment, i wouldn't even bother with a physical amp.

Can't do the computer thing right now.
    I have the orange crush 20ldx. I got it as a little practice/lesson amp for my students. (I run my own music school and teach around 50 some students a week).

I got it because A. It was cheap B. Had a good amount of effects options. C. Needed something quiet yet fun.

It has a GREAT clean sound and reverb on it. I truly love the clean tone. The gain and overdrive are not so hot. However, with my ocd on it, its fine. I did expect a better gain from orange, but DID nOT expect the clean to be so great.

$150 and it arrived overnight. No complaints. And everyone generally loves it. Except for my high gain kids (Slipknotters and Nu Metal guys :) )

I was going to get the little Fender Champion 600 (tube), but went with the orange for the effects range for my students. Champion is 5 watts. And if it is for apartment use, you DO NOT NEED 30 watts. If you get into jam sessions or full band then yes. If I was going to get it strictly for me, and spend 150 or less, maybe go that route.

Heres a video demo link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx7jT6UFo40&feature=related

Back to square one. ;)

Thanks everyone. I am now more confused than before. :lol: I always stress out over these decisions.

q
  • If you want toys and tricks and variety, Line 6 Spider is the way to go. On-board FX makes it easy to play around with, and the models sound decent for a small amp. Almost everyone who owns a Roland Cube says they are great. And I've been seriously impressed with Peavey Transtube-series amps. Overall, solid-state amps will be better for low-volume practice amps, because transistors don't really change tonally depending on output. Of course, no transistor amp will sound exactly like a tube amp. That said, the purists often don't give Line 6 the credit they deserve. But nobody wants to believe that a $300 practice amp captures the tonal essence of their $3000 half-stack.

If you'd rather use tubes, Epi Valve Jr is a good, cheap alternative, and I've been personally jonesing for a Vox Lil Night Train (not to be confused with the regular Night Train). It's a 2-watt tube amp, so it's just about the smallest mass-market tube amp available. I haven't found one to try, but it might be worth it if you wanna stick to tubes.

If you were open to headphone jamming, Line 6 Pod would do the trick. Even a Pocket Pod, which is pretty cheap. But it sounds like you want something with speakers.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I just picked up a Vox AC4TV off of Ebay for a good price. I have a Fender HRDx Texas Red that I love to play through, but even with an attenuator I was able to get the tones I wanted at practice volumes. I saw the Vox AC4TV and Marshall Class5 and was immediately interested. I prefer to play clean and use pedals for distortion, etc. I decided to go with the AC4TV and am loving it so far. I've been quite happy with the tones I've been able to get out of it and reasonable volume levels.
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
    How do you like the Bassman? Yeah the Line 6 Spiders, I heard a dude playing one in a store, I couldn't believe how good they sounded to be honest. Definitely didn't have the 'feel' of a good tube amp, but definitely much much better even than when I started playing (10 years ago).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • You have to go with a line6
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • How do you like the Bassman? Yeah the Line 6 Spiders, I heard a dude playing one in a store, I couldn't believe how good they sounded to be honest. Definitely didn't have the 'feel' of a good tube amp, but definitely much much better even than when I started playing (10 years ago).

I love my Bassman! I purchased it used back in 93'. Thing is, I got it for playing Harp through it. The 59' Bassman is the holy grail of amps for Harmonica players. Of course it didn't hurt that it also has one of best clean sounds for guitar I've ever heard. Add some pedals and you still get great tone. Only problem is no reverb or overdrive. Hence the Deville purchase. Essentially a Bassman with reverb and overdrive.

I'm gonna have to think about which amp to get for at least another week. I always stress about making the wrong decision. I think I want 30watts so I can have the jam with a band option, plus easier transport compared to an amp with 4x10 as they are a nightmare to get across town with for a jam session.

ps: Any good rumors about the Bluesfest? 8-)

q
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Checked out any Egnater's? Rebel 20 and 30 are both pretty awesome.
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    I recently picked up the Fender Mustang I and am still finding amazing things it can do. It comes with the Fender Fuse software for setting up different amp models and virtual pedalboard and also the Fender edition of Amplitube. I've been nothing but impressed with it an all it has to offer. Best part is it's only $100. I highly recommend it!!!!
  • Hence the Deville purchase. Essentially a Bassman with reverb and overdrive.

I'm surprised you like the overdrive on the DeVille, those amps are pretty well known for bad overdrive tone. The plus is that they take overdrive and distortion pedals of all sorts really well. I used to joke with a friend (who owns one) that Fender would've been better off building a tubescreamer onto the circuitboard, rather than trying to get "real tube" overdrive. I've always really liked the Hot Rod amps just because of the pedal-friendliness.

I think I want 30watts so I can have the jam with a band option, plus easier transport compared to an amp with 4x10 as they are a nightmare to get across town with for a jam session.

If you're looking at a solid-state amp, and you want to be able to jam with a band, you'll probably want closer to 50 watts. I've played with bands pretty easily with a 12-watt tube amp, but solid-state amp ratings are very different. I'd also have a single 12" speaker, minimum. But a 50-watt solid-state amp in a 1x12" combo will still be WAAAAY less heavy than either of your 4x10" tube combos.

Like I said, you can play with a band with a 15-watt amp, although you won't have a ton of clean headroom. I've always said that 40 tube watts is a good minimum for playing with a rock band, but that's a general rule of thumb. Of course, I've broken that rule on too many occasions with 6- to 22-watt Fenders, but I like the tone of an amp just on the edge of overdrive, and use pedals to go over the edge. If you need more than 40 watts of tube power, chances are you're playing a venue with a sound system, so they can just mic it. The problem you face is that a 40-watt amp won't sound very good at bedroom volumes (think the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe). Like I mentioned in my earlier post, solid-state amps are pretty well consistent in tone regardless of how loud they are, so you can play a 50-watt solid-state amp at bedroom volumes, with no loss in tone.

I'm surprised you like the overdrive on the DeVille, those amps are pretty well known for bad overdrive tone. The plus is that they take overdrive and distortion pedals of all sorts really well. I used to joke with a friend (who owns one) that Fender would've been better off building a tubescreamer onto the circuitboard, rather than trying to get "real tube" overdrive. I've always really liked the Hot Rod amps just because of the pedal-friendliness.

Maybe it's the updated version they released last year (I think)? Haven't played one myself but the overdrive on those is supposed to be better.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 481
    Fender Super Champ XD... Under $300 Tube Amp with tons of great sounds... Has the Fender cleans and great distortions...

Best $$$ I've ever spent on gear.

I think I want 30watts so I can have the jam with a band option, plus easier transport compared to an amp with 4x10 as they are a nightmare to get across town with for a jam session.

If you're looking at a solid-state amp, and you want to be able to jam with a band, you'll probably want closer to 50 watts. I've played with bands pretty easily with a 12-watt tube amp, but solid-state amp ratings are very different. I'd also have a single 12" speaker, minimum. But a 50-watt solid-state amp in a 1x12" combo will still be WAAAAY less heavy than either of your 4x10" tube combos.

Like I said, you can play with a band with a 15-watt amp, although you won't have a ton of clean headroom. I've always said that 40 tube watts is a good minimum for playing with a rock band, but that's a general rule of thumb. Of course, I've broken that rule on too many occasions with 6- to 22-watt Fenders, but I like the tone of an amp just on the edge of overdrive, and use pedals to go over the edge. If you need more than 40 watts of tube power, chances are you're playing a venue with a sound system, so they can just mic it. The problem you face is that a 40-watt amp won't sound very good at bedroom volumes (think the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe). Like I mentioned in my earlier post, solid-state amps are pretty well consistent in tone regardless of how loud they are, so you can play a 50-watt solid-state amp at bedroom volumes, with no loss in tone.

Actaually, I never said I liked the overdrive, just that it was included with reverb. I do agree, the overdrive is next to useless for guitar, however, the overdrive works and sounds just fine when I play harp through the DeVille. Using a mic and harp through a pedal into an amp just dosen't work out. You can never play at a suitable volume without massive feedback. So as a dual purpose amp the Deville works out just fine for me. Infact when I purchased the DeVille I was warned about the shitty overdrive. But having played through the Bassman for years I just wanted something that would sound good for guitar but also have reverb and overdrive for Harmonica purposes. In a nut shell, it was just as important to me to be able to play harp through it as well as guitar.

q
  • I love my Vox Pathfinder 15r. Simple. For the money, it can't be beat.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • So I ended up getting the Roland Cube 30X. Took it out of the box, played through it for about 15 minutes, put it back in the box and returned it the next day. I hated it. So i dragged my DeVille across the room plugged in, put the volume between 0 and 1 (1 is too loud), and it still sounded 10 times better than the Roland. So lesson learned, no need to spend $$ on a new amp, I can get by with what I've got. :roll:

q
  • So I ended up getting the Roland Cube 30X. Took it out of the box, played through it for about 15 minutes, put it back in the box and returned it the next day. I hated it. So i dragged my DeVille across the room plugged in, put the volume between 0 and 1 (1 is too loud), and it still sounded 10 times better than the Roland. So lesson learned, no need to spend $$ on a new amp, I can get by with what I've got. :roll:

q
    Fair enough!
  • So i dragged my DeVille across the room plugged in, put the volume between 0 and 1 (1 is too loud), and it still sounded 10 times better than the Roland. So lesson learned, no need to spend $$ on a new amp, I can get by with what I've got.

It sounds like you might really enjoy getting an attenuator, like a Weber Mass, Ultimate Attenuator, Marshall Power Brake, or THD Hot Plate. They take some of the amp's output and dissipate that power, letting only part of the power actually reach the speakers. The net result is that your amp turns up (say, to 2 or 3 or 5) but the volume isn't as loud. It might get you bedroom-friendly volume from your larger amp.
  • So i dragged my DeVille across the room plugged in, put the volume between 0 and 1 (1 is too loud), and it still sounded 10 times better than the Roland. So lesson learned, no need to spend $$ on a new amp, I can get by with what I've got.

It sounds like you might really enjoy getting an attenuator, like a Weber Mass, Ultimate Attenuator, Marshall Power Brake, or THD Hot Plate. They take some of the amp's output and dissipate that power, letting only part of the power actually reach the speakers. The net result is that your amp turns up (say, to 2 or 3 or 5) but the volume isn't as loud. It might get you bedroom-friendly volume from your larger amp.
    i have a thd hotplate that i use with my 1974 50 watt Marshall jmp. it gets down to bedroom levels and you can still get that great tube tone. i highly recommend a hotplate if you go the attenuator route. aside from the amp itself the hotplate is the best investment i have made relating to my tone. i looked at marshall power brakes but could not swing the $600 price tag. for that price i figured i could have bought a differrent amp that actually has a master volume knob. just be sure to get an attunuator that matches the ohms on your amp...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Blackheart Little Giant or a Reeves Custom 6
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    Looking for a decent amp, in the $100-$150 range... trying to decide between:

Fender Mustang I
    Vox Pathfinder 15r
    Line Spider 6

Leaning towards the Fender or Spider, but am interested in input from folks who have them...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    phungi wrote:
    Looking for a decent amp, in the $100-$150 range... trying to decide between:

Fender Mustang I
    Vox Pathfinder 15r
    Line Spider 6

Leaning towards the Fender or Spider, but am interested in input from folks who have them...

I was just in the same exact boat in November and went for the Mustang I. This thing kicks ass. I was skeptical at first. Seemed like a lot of Fender ball-washing on the review section of Guitar Center and Musicians Friend, but believe the hype. This amp's modeling is great and doesn't have a "tinny" or "digital" sound to it. The virtual pedalboard/rack stuff you can do through your computer is great as well.
  • JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Get an old Gorilla amp.......they last a lifetime and they are cheap
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    would it be worth it to put a V30 in my Fender Frontman 65r. Not in the market for an amp right now with all these damn concerts going on but could probably drop $100 on a speaker. I really don't use the 65r's drive, I use pedals.

Any opinions would be great or other options as a replacement for now.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
    would it be worth it to put a V30 in my Fender Frontman 65r. Not in the market for an amp right now with all these damn concerts going on but could probably drop $100 on a speaker. I really don't use the 65r's drive, I use pedals.

Any opinions would be great or other options as a replacement for now.
    Probably not worth it, IMO.