How do you avoid mosquito bites?

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    redrock wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: That's what i was thinking you couldn't pay me to head down there ..

I guess not everyone is paranoid. Mexico is a beautiful country full of richness (obviously not in money terms) and incredible history. I know many, many people who have been there (me included) and were amazed by the country, the ancient sites and the kindness of the people. Oh... and no one feared for their lives either.

i know 2 couples who were there in the past 2-3 years. loved it. had no troubles. i'll be there myself in a couple months. cannot wait!
    www.myspace.com
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Was it called... Blousant?

Saw alot of late night infomercials a few years back about this stuff.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Been to a few mosquitoy countries.

Lemongrass is good, DEET is powerful but very chemically. Have used repellants that plug in, repellants that burn. Even have used the Skins so soft Avon moisturiser.

On our last trip we used DEET and mosquito nets.

To be honest nothing works 100%, you'll get bitten whatever, so take some anti-histermine tablets with you and some bite cream. The worst thing about the bites is that they itch like hell, if you can avoid the scratching they're not so bad.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Start taking vitamin B-1 complex about 2 weeks before you go and continue taking it on your trip. I have always been highly allergic to mosquitos and they have always loved me. I did this last year before going camping for a week in Montana last year. I only got about 15 bites, where normally I would have at least 3 or 4 times that. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it certainly did for me. Good luck!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • redrock wrote:

why anyone would go anywhere near there is also beyond me

:lol::lol::lol: That's what i was thinking you couldn't pay me to head down there ..

I guess not everyone is paranoid. Mexico is a beautiful country full of richness (obviously not in money terms) and incredible history. I know many, many people who have been there (me included) and were amazed by the country, the ancient sites and the kindness of the people. Oh... and no one feared for their lives either.
    You beat me to it... it's a sad thing that's going on there, not to be laughed at! We booked when this was already going on cos it's a country I've always wanted to go to and I haven't changed my mind about that. We're going to the Riviera Maya... I don't think there's anywhere in the world that's entirely safe anyway. Look at poor Michaela Harte recently killed in 'idyllic' Mauritius on her honeymoon. There was a time when Northern Ireland was a 'terrifying' place too... to all those who weren't familiar with the place!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • dunkman wrote:
    my god what a lot of scaremongering... Helen, my cousin was in Mexico just before Xmas... his gf is a travel agent... and they loved it. Had not one bit of trouble... not one.

have fun.. :thumbup:
    Yep, I know a few who've been there recently too... none of them were beheaded :roll: I know someone who stayed in the same hotel and compared it to paradise... survived too! :D

Thanks all though :) unfortunately I think Clare's right... reading the replies, I have tried a lot of these and still got bitten :oops: I still use citronella candles in the summer but it never seems to make much difference. I will try the vitamin B supplements and see if it makes any difference and I'll buy neutral smelling shower and hair stuff and leave the perfumes at home :cry:

I guess I do have bigger worries in this place... TARANTULAS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Start taking vitamin B-1 complex about 2 weeks before you go and continue taking it on your trip. I have always been highly allergic to mosquitos and they have always loved me. I did this last year before going camping for a week in Montana last year. I only got about 15 bites, where normally I would have at least 3 or 4 times that. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it certainly did for me. Good luck!

I'm gonna have to try this Ryez...I'm like you, go camping and my friends will say, 'the mosquitoes weren't bad this time!' and I'll have welts all over my arms, face, legs. Then a week later I look like I fell into a wasp's nest. :(

Oh and claire, I use the Skin So Soft bath oil...works better then the lotion, something about the fact that the oil sits on top of your skin rather than being absorbed and then the bugs can't 'smell' you.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Don't go out at night. And if you do, RUN!

It was a bad summer here in Chicago for mosquitos. Hot, humid, wet.. I don't know where the hell all those little bastards go during the long, zero degree winter weather, but their eggs must be tough little mutherf*ckers.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Full_Body_Armort1.jpg
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I'm thinking some of you wouldn't survive one of my backpacking trips... Actually, that's a given, but I meant due to the mozzies.

A little story on the subject matter...

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/2010/12/pending.html
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

I guess I do have bigger worries in this place... TARANTULAS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

F*&% it! Don't go! I didn't know that when I went (many moons ago) and thank god I didn't see any! I would probably prefer dealing with the drug dealers!
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    citronella/citrus works, theres also a plant that we use in the boreal forest (as First Nations), you can rub it on you directly or make a poultice, works great, problem is, its not local to mexico bug spray and/or citrus. rub (lemon wedges on your arm) CITRONELLA candles work ok too.....also if your sedentary, get mosquito net
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • redrock wrote:

F*&% it! Don't go! I didn't know that when I went (many moons ago) and thank god I didn't see any! I would probably prefer dealing with the drug dealers!
    :mrgreen: I know... I didn't see that before I booked or we woulda settled on the Lake District or something :mrgreen: . Honestly, I've been known to jump on couches before (with the 'big' ones here) so fuck knows how I'll react to one of those... I don't think Simon would take kindly to 'getting rid' of one either :oops:

Thanks Cree... I guess I'll just buy loadsa lemons and bathe in the juice or something :D (worth a try, eh?). I know the mosquito net is the right thing to do but I'd just feel silly :oops: but I guess it would keep the tarantulas out too though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • samsonitesamsonite Posts: 210
    Mosquitos are attracted to CO2 and sweat.

So don't breathe and don't perspire and you'll be fine.

or else just go with some DEET

i spent a week-and-a-half on the amazon in brazil and was covered in DEET the whole time! it seemed to work for me.
    grace and peace
  • JzPJzP Posts: 933
    Well the title pretty much says it all.

Going to Mexico in May to a beach resort with lakes and plenty of pools. I'm going to get eaten alive :oops:

When I went to Lake Garda last year I was bitten over 30 times :oops: so it's quite a problem. Does the vitamin B1 thing actually work or is there anything at all I can do to make myself less desirable to the little fuckers? :?

My wife is an herbalist and makes a bug spray with witchhazel, catnip, lavender and eucalyptus. I think the big ones are catnip and witchazel. It works but you have to re-apply frequently.
    My suggestion to avoid mosquitoes is never stop moving or cover yourself in mud :mrgreen:
    ~JzP
  • JzP wrote:
    Well the title pretty much says it all.

Going to Mexico in May to a beach resort with lakes and plenty of pools. I'm going to get eaten alive :oops:

When I went to Lake Garda last year I was bitten over 30 times :oops: so it's quite a problem. Does the vitamin B1 thing actually work or is there anything at all I can do to make myself less desirable to the little fuckers? :?

My wife is an herbalist and makes a bug spray with witchhazel, catnip, lavender and eucalyptus. I think the big ones are catnip and witchazel. It works but you have to re-apply frequently.
    My suggestion to avoid mosquitoes is never stop moving or cover yourself in mud :mrgreen:
    :mrgreen: cover myself in mud... I like it! So, the whole water thing... obviously if I'm IN the pool, are they on the surface or are they around during the day at all? I'm a bit stupid when it comes to them. I've heard they're attracted to alcohol in the blood too... but it's a swim up bar :oops: :shock: and I ain't compromising on that lol.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

i believe there hasnt been a reported death by tarantulas for about 3553235.4534523 years....
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:

i believe there hasnt been a reported death by tarantulas for about 3553235.4534523 years....
    There's other ways tarantulas can kill... heart attack for one! :mrgreen: I know they don't kill, I'm weird like that, love sharks, terrified of spiders :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    it is the female mosquito that bites us to feed there young...
    no repelant has been proven to work 100% they will keep them at bay for a little while
    but if she wants our blood shes gonna get it.

Sorry Helen...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JzPJzP Posts: 933
    Boo Boo wrote:
    it is the female mosquito that bites us to feed there young...
    no repelant has been proven to work 100% they will keep them at bay for a little while
    but if she wants our blood shes gonna get it.

Sorry Helen...

Yeah you're fucked. Like I said just keep hitting yourself and running around :lol: there's no fighting it
    ~JzP
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    JzP wrote:
    Yeah you're fucked. Like I said just keep hitting yourself and running around :lol: there's no fighting it

He's right, you either keep moving or you get inside some mosquito netting. Also, we need mozzies as they are linchpins in the whole pollinating process.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Shut it you two :mrgreen:

Neily I appreciate your concern and your sticking to the subject matter 8-) however, we do get Mexican news over here too ya know. I do actually follow all that's going on cos I find it much more interesting than the news over here. Besides, it'd be like saying 'I'm afraid to go to Montana cos there are riots in LA :roll

Seriously, how can they not come up with a mosquito repellant in this day and age?????? :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Don't eat bananas.

Thats what I was going to say! Although I don't eat bananas and still get bitten all the time!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • tinkerbell wrote:
    Don't eat bananas.

Thats what I was going to say! Although I don't eat bananas and still get bitten all the time!
    that's one change I can definitely try cos I eat a lot of bananas. I know most Irish people tend to have a hard time with the little feckers though, must be something in the blood or maybe the pale skin :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life