How do you avoid mosquito bites?

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Well the title pretty much says it all.

Going to Mexico in May to a beach resort with lakes and plenty of pools. I'm going to get eaten alive :oops:

When I went to Lake Garda last year I was bitten over 30 times :oops: so it's quite a problem. Does the vitamin B1 thing actually work or is there anything at all I can do to make myself less desirable to the little fuckers? :?
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Lemon juice. They use it in Turkey at the restaurants and it seems to work. Plus you smell quite nice. Not sure if you can buy the stuff they use over there in our shops but it's worth a try.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    bug spray.

case closed.
    www.myspace.com
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Mosquitos are attracted to CO2 and sweat.

So don't breathe and don't perspire and you'll be fine.

or else just go with some DEET
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Dont go to mexico
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    IMPLANTS :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • took me 20 years to find the way,,ill trade it for a for binaural sealed lp
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • bug spray.

case closed.

It doesn't work. Just ask Joba Chamberlain. :lol:

There's an Avon product called Skin-So-Soft. Works like a charm. Don't know about getting it in Germany. You need to find an Avon lady here. I'm one of those who always gets eaten alive. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • took me 20 years to find the way,,ill trade it for a for binaural sealed lp
    How about a drink next time I see ya? 8-)

I've heard about the lemon juice thing and apparently all kinds of vitamin B's if I start taking them a few weeks beforehand.

I got all those bites in Italy even though I was covered in mosquito repellant... tried a few different brands.

Covering up obviously helped but I don't wanna have to do that in such heat :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    Mint tree soap works
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • I got all those bites in Italy even though I was covered in mosquito repellant... tried a few different brands.

I got eaten up in Firenze, inside our hotel room. Then the next day I found out the front desk had these nifty mosquito catchers to plug into an outlet. :roll:

Also, right on that leg of that trip, I got drunk and walked into a glass door (just like a dumb bird). :lol: Just about knocked myself out.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Take frequent, lengthy swims in the pools and beaches.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    was I the only one who got this??? Our just the only one who found it humorous? :lol::lol:

Skin So Soft works
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Come on! A variety of exercise, accupunture, and quality massage can also aid in the avoidance of pesky little bites.... ;)
    was I the only one who got this??? Our just the only one who found it humorous? :lol::lol:

Skin So Soft works
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Use fragrance free sunscreen and don't wear perfume, exfoliate (yep... that helps - gets rid of more of the bacteria which thrives on dead skin which attracts the mozzies), use a citronella based soap & shampoo. Make sure you stay as 'fresh' as possible, again the mosquitos love the bacteria 'created' by sweat. You may still want to cover up a bit, loose long sleeve sheer cotton tops, etc. You'll probably need it for the sun anyway. Sleep under a mosquito net or burn citronella stuff during the night. I never use chemical repellents - bad for you and the environment and don't always work on mosquitos.
  • shine79shine79 Posts: 49
    Perhaps try Coconut Oil? (extra-virgin, cold-pressed/raw).
    I like to use more natural/pure things myself, so i thought i'd see what folks on Earth Clinic were recommending (it's a handy website if you ever get a chance)...anyways, apparently it works.
    I'm not sure how that would work with sunscreen though... :think:
    I've used coconut oil for moisturizing, in my smoothies etc., and it's great all around otherwise.
    Another option is to visit Whole foods or a local aromatherapy store if possible, and see what's available.
    (note: there are a few at WF's i've noticed that don't seem all that...well, pure).
    Eucalyptus, Peppermint & Lemongrass oils are good at keeping them at bay, so it would be good to keep an eye out for those ingredients. Or, Burts Bee's even has a repellent which seems decent.
    Hope that helps!
    06.19.98 Vancouver | 11.06.00 Seattle | 05.30.03 Vancouver | 09.25.09 Vancouver
  • Don't eat bananas.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    redrock wrote:
    Use fragrance free sunscreen and don't wear perfume, exfoliate (yep... that helps - gets rid of more of the bacteria which thrives on dead skin which attracts the mozzies), use a citronella based soap & shampoo. Make sure you stay as 'fresh' as possible, again the mosquitos love the bacteria 'created' by sweat. You may still want to cover up a bit, loose long sleeve sheer cotton tops, etc. You'll probably need it for the sun anyway. Sleep under a mosquito net or burn citronella stuff during the night. I never use chemical repellents - bad for you and the environment and don't always work on mosquitos.

This right here, in other words don't try to smell too good or too stink. ;)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Skin So Soft works

very lame peeps here :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Mosquitos don't like my alien blood ;) they avoid me and if by chance they bite no itch or bump :wtf:
    I felt very left out as a kid
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    I wouldn't worry about the mosquito problem in MEXICO they will be all over the headless corpses that are everywhere :lol: they are nuts down ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I wouldn't worry about the mosquito problem in MEXICO they will be all over the headless corpses that are everywhere :lol: they are nuts down ....

why anyone would go anywhere near there is also beyond me

as long as you're not involved in a drug trafficking or something, i'm sure you'll be fine. ;)
    www.myspace.com

:lol::lol::lol: That's what i was thinking you couldn't pay me to head down there ..

as long as you're not involved in a drug trafficking or something, i'm sure you'll be fine. ;)

I don't know about that didn't an American tourist get shot down there by a lake :?:

i know cabo is all good..but i would just go somewhere else...mexico isn't worth it to me .

i could never be comfy there

I don't know about that didn't an American tourist get shot down there by a lake :?:

if i am not mistaken i think that was right along the texas border? the further south you go and staying in the resort area, the safer you are.
    www.myspace.com
  • There has been over 30,000 drug war-related deaths in mexico since 2006.... Even resort areas are being affected and most resorts don't have private beaches nor the security to aid in possible shit-storms. And, cops are dirty everywhere, so they can't really be trusted either....

So, yeah- mosquitos are the least of the problems. I don't mean to be a debbie-downer, but do stay safe and it would be best to stick to strictly touristy areas and know the language.
    There has been over 30,000 drug war-related deaths in mexico since 2006.... Even resort areas are being affected and most resorts don't have private beaches nor the security to aid in possible shit-storms. And, cops are dirty everywhere, so they can't really be trusted either....

So, yeah- mosquitos are the least of the problems. I don't mean to be a debbie-downer, but do stay safe and it would be best to stick to strictly touristy areas and know the language.

HENCE I WILL NEVER GO TO MEXICO
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

:lol::lol::lol: That's what i was thinking you couldn't pay me to head down there ..

I guess not everyone is paranoid. Mexico is a beautiful country full of richness (obviously not in money terms) and incredible history. I know many, many people who have been there (me included) and were amazed by the country, the ancient sites and the kindness of the people. Oh... and no one feared for their lives either.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    my god what a lot of scaremongering... Helen, my cousin was in Mexico just before Xmas... his gf is a travel agent... and they loved it. Had not one bit of trouble... not one.

have fun.. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.