Options

Does Pearl Jam ever make you CRY??

2»

Comments

• Options
    I don't really do crying but the ones that are most likely to tip me over the edge are: Man of the Hour, I Got Shit, Immortality, Release, Last Kiss, Hard To Imagine, Indifference, Fatal.

They are a bit too bloodey good at inventing songs that break your heart when you hear them. It doesn't always seem to matter if the content is completely relevant or not, it's the raw emotion behind songs like these that feels like some one has just punched me on the inside. Ouch.

Some of the stories in this thread are very moving and I send my sympathy to those who have faced such terrible things.
  • Options
    everytime i listen to "Release" from the Atlanta 94 boot, makes me cry everytime.
  • Options
    Come Back makes me cry...

...because it's so bad.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    release and nothing as is seems have made me well up a few times myself.
  • Options
    Not quite PJ, but when Ed played Helpless in TO night 2, I was as close to crying as I could get.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Yup, you are not alone it happens to me too when I listen to some of the bootlegs.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    they often make me cry!!
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    One word: Yield. Well, I didn't cry the whole way through, the whole thing just hits me right.....there. Like a pure emotional release.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,672
    I don't really do crying but the ones that are most likely to tip me over the edge are:

That's what I meant.... not actual crying, but damn close. It's like "why am I choking up?!" :eek: There's just a power there that I don't feel with any other music :p.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ always makes me cry.

Not always sad tears though, GTF and others often fill me with happy thoughts that just make me well up! :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Sometimes, if I hear Hard To Imagine or Crown of Thorns when I'm really depressed, I'll start crying.
    The first time I watched Immagine In Cornice, during the scene where Ed starts playing Immortality during a sound check, I started bawling. It just reminded me of a friend of mine that I no longer speak with.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Well...this is embarrassing I was listening to Not For You from the Gorge 06 and when Ed sings little improv at the end, goes a little like this...and to think I just about gave it all up... but now all there is left is love...love.....
    And I wasn't even F.......g there.
    Peace,
    Immortality, twice when I seen it live, especially at Hartford this year.
    Release is another, a few others have got me live.

Having stuff going on in my life I am fairly liable to cry to a selection of songs when I listen to them anytime.

But at the same time I have found listening to be a release of sorts to help get through difficult times
  • Options
    Jeez I started tearing up reading some of the stories in this thread! Just thinking about my own life and the fact that we all some day die and that I love my Mom, Dad and sisters. No one in my family is close to dying, but you never know and when the day comes especially when my Mom dies, I will be crying for weeks straight.

I think about all of that ^ when I listen to songs like Thumbing my way, Man of the Hour and Come Back and tear up!

When I listen to Release I imagine my own death (if I were to die today at 20) and what everyone will be like at my funeral, especially my Mom. When her Mom died she would be reading to me and just stop and start bawling for weeks maybe months. I was young and didn't know what to say or how to comfort her :( Anyways I can only imagine if I or one of my sisters were to die today hat she would have a very very difficult time. She has trouble saying Bye to me every time I go back to college.

Sorry for the rambling, but I had to write those emotions down. 20 year old male and PJ makes me tear up like a baby
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    Release for sure. At Bonnaroo, I cried my eyes out during it.
  • Options
    arc hands down just blows me away.

there are a few others that make me cry in a good way
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    we belong together tag on black gets me just about every time
  • Options
    EPOTTSIIIEPOTTSIII Posts: 190
    No..., But Ed choked me up real good when He did Man of the Hour at the NJPAC show in Newark, NJ. The song reminds me of my dad. In a good sad way.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    I posted this in the "Your first live song" thread.

I've never really been to a "Pearl Jam show", but I went to the VH1 Rock Honors this year. I had really crappy seats with horrible acoustics, and I wanted to get closer to see Pearl Jam and the Who. So I went on a journey to find better seats. I hopped a couple fences, got chased by a security guard, and ended up sneaking to around the 30th row. And right as I got to my new seat "Love Reign O'er Me" started up. I was awestruck by it. I could not believe how beautiful that song could possibly be. I had shivers through the whole song and felt a euphoria that otherwise can only be felt by me if I'm high. A song had really never made me cry before but by the end of it I had tears running down my cheeks. The power of it was unbelievable. The T.V. recording did not do it justice at all. If I had not been there to experience it, I wouldn't be who I am today.
    Nathan
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 879
    Yes. Release night 2 at MSG this past year got me. I was so fucking happy to be there. Present tense, Inside Job, Black, Come Back and some others have the onion effect on me too. Also when Mike really tears it up that gets to me as well as the crowd really singing every word loudly.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    topetope Posts: 37
    Footsteps

Some advice from tope: if you are at an airport, waiting to get on a plane to fly away from most of your friends and family and your home, DO NOT listen to footsteps!!

Also Throw Your Arms Around Me usually gets me.

BUT on the other side of the coin, I've found that Save You cheers me up nomatter what! Funny, huh, I never would have picked it. Something about those guitar riffs, actually now that I think about it I probably do air guitar every time I hear the riffs, and who can be sad doing air guitar? he he

cool thread, thanks for all your awesome stories.

it's so endearing to hear that guys get affected by PJ too, sometimes I wondered, now I know...
  • Options
    Absolutely, so many songs are incredibly cathartic, in a good way, and some just give me goosebumps. Oceans, Elderly Woman, all that stuff, just... wow!
    Crystal

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,672

I've never really been to a "Pearl Jam show", but I went to the VH1 Rock Honors this year. I had really crappy seats with horrible acoustics, and I wanted to get closer to see Pearl Jam and the Who. So I went on a journey to find better seats. I hopped a couple fences, got chased by a security guard, and ended up sneaking to around the 30th row. And right as I got to my new seat "Love Reign O'er Me" started up. I was awestruck by it. I could not believe how beautiful that song could possibly be. I had shivers through the whole song and felt a euphoria that otherwise can only be felt by me if I'm high. A song had really never made me cry before but by the end of it I had tears running down my cheeks. The power of it was unbelievable. The T.V. recording did not do it justice at all. If I had not been there to experience it, I wouldn't be who I am today.

Nice story! Nice "seat upgrade" too. :p

LROM got me too, at the Vic.

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I saw them for the first time in 03 and did not really know much about them (I just went with my mom because she had an extra 10c ticket) then I got really obsessed with them and I had to wait until their 06 tour to see them again. I was really excited and all the sudden I saw Ed walk on stage and I started crying. It surprised me...I did not think I would cry but I did.

Also when I saw Ed solo in California I cried during Arc...but I pretty much knew that was going to happen.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    imalive wrote:
    In a good way?

I was just listening to a boot... I was choking up during the audience participation in both Porch and Present Tense. It happens all the time with me... :D and Arc? Oh, fuck!

I'm a guy! :p

yeeeah man. The things The Master does to Immortality. WOW.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    CrazyMary6 wrote:
    I saw them for the first time in 03 and did not really know much about them (I just went with my mom because she had an extra 10c ticket) then I got really obsessed with them and I had to wait until their 06 tour to see them again. I was really excited and all the sudden I saw Ed walk on stage and I started crying. It surprised me...I did not think I would cry but I did.

Also when I saw Ed solo in California I cried during Arc...but I pretty much knew that was going to happen.
    i LOVE that!!!!! i cried the second i saw Ed walk out behind the curtain at the Rock Honors! And i NEVER get exxxcited seeing Ed!!! I cried cuz i hadd not seen them in almost a year and i was exxxcited!!!! :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    pjam70pjam70 illinois Posts: 7
    many,many times,dude! It's not a particular song for me(although RELEASE always seems to rouse the tears) it's just the mood of the moment + the songs. Can't quite put it into words really. Beleive me though, I know exactly where you are coming from though. I am quite sure the band would be okay with this!

Bloomington,IL. 11/26/91 Chicago, IL 7/11/95 Charlotte, NC. 10/4/96 Chicago, IL. 6/28/98 Detroit, MI. 10/7/00 St. Louis, MO. 10/11/00 Champaign, IL. 4/23/03 Alpine Valley, WI. 7/21/03 St. Louis, MO. 10/05/04 Chicago, IL. 5/17/06 Detroit, MI. 5/22/06 Chicago, IL. 8/5/07 Chicago, IL. 8/23/09 Chicago, IL. 8/24/09 Noblesville, IN. 5/7/10 Alpine Valley, WI. 9/3/11 Alpine Valley, WI. 9/4/11 Chicago, IL. 8/19/13
    St. Louis, MO. 10/3/14 Moline, IL. 10/17/14 Chicago, IL. 8/20/16 Chicago, IL. 8/22/16  Chicago, IL. 8/18/18 Chicago, IL. 8/20/18

• Options

oh my god YES!!!! TV definitely did not do it justice!!!!! Completely feel you on this.

• Options
    yes, always.
    "One just escapes, one's left inside the well... and he who forgets will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,274
    imalive wrote:
    In a good way?

I was just listening to a boot... I was choking up during the audience participation in both Porch and Present Tense. It happens all the time with me... :D and Arc? Oh, fuck!

I'm a guy! :p

oh yes!
    danny d