Options

Best opener ever??

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    i hate opening bands and rarely see any of them
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I've actually enjoyed a number of opening bands . I was either a fan before I saw them open or , in the case of MMJ and KOL , bought albums after thoroughly enjoying their sets . In alphabetical order : The Buzzcocks , Death Cab For Cutie , Kings of Leon , My Morning Jacket , Robert Plant , Robert Pollard , Iggy Pop , PUSA , Sleater Kinney , Sonic Youth .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    JordyWordy wrote:
    http://www.myspace.com/blindmelon

ohh yes they are! started doing shows again in October with a new singer, and, i think they might even be recording new material. not 100% sure about that but either way theyre definitely back together :D

I stand corrected :). I was never a huge fan but always liked the line "I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today."

Social Distortion? Yes! I like.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    Wow...two and a half pages and no mention of RHCP yet. Incredible.
  • Options
    Wow...two and a half pages and no mention of RHCP yet. Incredible.

probably because RHCP don't really meet the opening act criteria i.e. a lesser known or lesser selling band. For that reason, I'm not really down with a Petty/PJ type bill - half the crowd think the OTHER band should be opening (probably not in PJ's case, but you know what I mean).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    chinobaeza wrote:
    and what about mudhoney?

yeah, but they were better at the cat's cradle the night before the show. and sonic youth was cool too i guess

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    All these great bands opening for pj and we get paddy casey in ireland :( Hopefully next time they come round this way they bring my morning jacket
  • Options
    All these great bands opening for pj and we get paddy casey in ireland :( Hopefully next time they come round this way they bring my morning jacket
    Yeah, but you LIVE in Ireland!! I'd trade MMJ for Guiness, Smithwicks, Harp and Bushmills :D!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I've been to nearly 100 different show (not just PJ) and the opener nearly always sucks. The few acceptions that I can remember..... Blind Melon and Pearl Jam opening for Neil Young Portland Meadows '93......the only other was Alice In Chains opening for Van Halen Memorial Colesium '90 or '91? There are times when it's a festival or something and the bands aren't technically openers. Tool 2nd stage Lollapalooza '93.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Truth: Opening bands are the reason I don't miss the first 2-3 songs of PJ's set. Pre-PJ show festivities can be a bit lengthy. Although I would make a strong effort to be at my seat if any of the following opened for them at my next PJ show. Petty, Harper or Young!
    Hold onto the thread, the currents will shift. ;)
    11/30/93-Las Vegas, 12/1/93-Las Vegas, 11/1/95-SLC, 11/2/95-SLC, 7/10/98-San Diego, 7/11/98-Las Vegas, 8/18/00-IND, 7/6/06-Las Vegas, 10/7/09-LA4 @ Gibson, 10/9/09-San Diego, 9/25/11-Vancouver, 10/31/12-Las Vegas I (Ed), 11/1/12-Las Vegas II (Ed), 7/19/13-Chicago, 12/6/13-Seattle
  • Options
    I enjoyed Sparta a lot, and I became a fan of MMJ after their electric performance prior to the 5/25/06 show at the Q.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    Sonic Youth

I never know what songs they are playing but they sound dam good. :D
  • Options
    Ben Kweller would be cool.
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    dangerboy wrote:
    butthole surfers.

kidding. they sucked. i'll go with rancid. no, they sucked too. oh, i know! the fastbacks. no, they sucked girl style. ooh, murder city devils! no, they sucked major, and ruined sonic reducer to boot.

ok, i'll go with ben harper. he's the only decent opener they've ever had.

hey gramps, just because its loud, punk music doesnt mean they suck. Maybe you should go post on the Dave Matthews board. Just thought id remind you that a big influence for Pearl Jam and Ed is punk music. All of those bands are good.
  • Options
    pj0705 wrote:
    hey gramps, just because its loud, punk music doesnt mean they suck. Maybe you should go post on the Dave Matthews board. Just thought id remind you that a big influence for Pearl Jam and Ed is punk music. All of those bands are good.

hey, snot-nosed little brat. those bands didn't suck because they were loud and punk, they sucked because they sucked. i was a slam-dancer long before the word "mosh" was even invented. i know quality punk, and none of those bands are it. don't assume because somebody doesn't like some punk bands that they don't like or know anything about punk. punk. i'm glad they were only an influence on pearl jam, not a model, though. pearl jam is a rock band, not a punk band.

and dave matthews is for pussies and college girls in the fine tradition of rem, also for pussies and college girls.

i may be old (actually not as old as ed, btw), but 25 years ago we broke ground that is now common ground to little shits like you (i say that in the most endearing way possible, you understand), whereupon you would be able to take it to the next level. respect your elders, boy. just like i owe a debt to sex pistols and ramones and gen x and the late 70's early 80's punks and respect them. hey ho. let's go. torch passed....

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Opening bands that I've seen for PJ are:

Frank Black
    Supergrass
    Wallflowers
    Sleater-Kinney

Seen PJ 11 times and 3 had no openers, twice they opened up for someone, 1 Festival.

Out of that list I choose Sleater-Kinney

I do agree that Social D would be a good opener for the boys.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    fucking fiasco................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    dangerboy wrote:
    hey, snot-nosed little brat. those bands didn't suck because they were loud and punk, they sucked because they sucked. i was a slam-dancer long before the word "mosh" was even invented. i know quality punk, and none of those bands are it. don't assume because somebody doesn't like some punk bands that they don't like or know anything about punk. punk. i'm glad they were only an influence on pearl jam, not a model, though. pearl jam is a rock band, not a punk band.

and dave matthews is for pussies and college girls in the fine tradition of rem, also for pussies and college girls.

i may be old (actually not as old as ed, btw), but 25 years ago we broke ground that is now common ground to little shits like you (i say that in the most endearing way possible, you understand), whereupon you would be able to take it to the next level. respect your elders, boy. just like i owe a debt to sex pistols and ramones and gen x and the late 70's early 80's punks and respect them. hey ho. let's go. torch passed....

Well you said Ben Harper is the only good opener pearl jam has ever had, no? You also said you owe bands like the Pistols and Ramones a debt, right? Well The Ramones and The Buzzcocks have opened for Pearl Jam. So i guess those bands suck, even though you said you "owe them a debt".

So maybe im wrong, or just too young and stupid to understand, but it seems as you are contradicting yourself. Maybe you should look at the list of opening bands before you make a statement that Ben Harper is the only good opener they have had. I have much respect for the late 70's and 80's punk bands and listen to them quite frequently. I just have an open mind for music and do not limit myself to those decades.
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    why beat around the bush with an opener... i would rather have an extra hour of Pearl Jam than an opener.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    pj0705 wrote:
    Well you said Ben Harper is the only good opener pearl jam has ever had, no? You also said you owe bands like the Pistols and Ramones a debt, right? Well The Ramones and The Buzzcocks have opened for Pearl Jam. So i guess those bands suck, even though you said you "owe them a debt".

So maybe im wrong, or just too young and stupid to understand, but it seems as you are contradicting yourself. Maybe you should look at the list of opening bands before you make a statement that Ben Harper is the only good opener they have had. I have much respect for the late 70's and 80's punk bands and listen to them quite frequently. I just have an open mind for music and do not limit myself to those decades.

i don't limit myself either. i was mostly commenting on bands i've seen open for them, not the whole list. i was being a bit of a smartass to start with, but i've seen them with mudhoney, sonic youth, ramones. mostly just saying that i thought the ones i mentioned sucked like butthole surfers and rancid and murder city devils and fastbacks

i think we're on the same team here mostly

• Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    Rocco Siffredi
  • Options
    I've seen My Morning Jacket, Idlewild, The Futureheads, Interpol, Kings of Leon, Satellite Party, and Incubus.

Kings of Leon/My Morning Jacket were easily my favourites, Satellite Party were good fun, and the rest pretty much sucked.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,692
    So far I've seen:

Iggy Pop--Awesome
    Cheap Trick--Not Bad
    Sonic Youth--Amazing
    Murder City Devils--Terrible
    The Buzzcocks--Great
    Sleater Kinney--Good
    My Morning Jacket--Excellent

I'd Love to See:

Queens of the Stone Age
    The Strokes
    Eagles of Death Metal
    Ben Harper
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder
    Matthew Good Band
    Sam Roberts
    Supersuckers
    Weezer
    Lenny Kravitz :P
    Foo Fighters :P
    angels dance on a pin head, just to make room for you and i....
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I liked a lot Mudhoney in the Mexico concerts, moe than Slater Kinney or Supergrass.
  • Options
    I would like Stone to do a comedic routine as the opening act for the next tour, I would imagine it would go like this.

Stone:SIR, where are ya from?

Guy:Well im fr..

Stone:FUCK YOU I DON'T CARE WHERE YOU'RE FROM
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    Best opener ever??...gotta be The Ramones, San Diego, 95
    was it?....
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Presidents of the United States were a lot better then I expected. I also dig the Supersuckers.
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    stella artois in the bar - every time
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07