Going to New York for the first time

jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
hey all, I guess I'll be heading to NYC in Feb for the first time ever! my sister has a meeting to go to, so I get to tag along with her! I'd love any advice people have as far as places to go OR to avoid, to fully maximize my time there. I want restaurant recommendations, practical advice, anything you want to share I'd really appreciate it.

I'm super stoked because I was supposed to go on a business trip to London last year with my sis, but the damn Icelandic volcano ruined everything. so now it's my second chance to go somewhere new!

and hey, if enough people want to, maybe we could arrange a meetup somewhere? :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    [nelly]hey baby, i hear you are looking for a good time, well, i am your pj man[/nelly]

:P

i can't help, but i'm sure the new yorkers will be along shortly. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Take the Big Apple Tour bus around Manhattan. Having lived in NY almost my whole life i always thought that red double decker bus was the biggest tourist trap ever. But my wife is from Ireland and she forced me to go on it one day. I must say i had a great time. The bus takes you all over the city and you can hop off at any of the stops, spend as long as you want checking out that particular area and then jump back on another bus. It's a great way to get around the whole city and tick off all the major tourist sites. And the driver gives loads of historical info about the city. It may be a bit cold in February but if you dress warm it should be fine.

In terms of restaurants tell me a price range for you and your sister and i'll give you some ideas. If your sister's company is paying your set.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    BlackDiamond can recommend good places to eat, there's really no where you have to avoid anymore, there's about 10 million people in Manhatten, but 1.5 are Cops, you'll be safe. Central Park at night is still probably a bad idea.
  • Mustang Harry's is a good restaurant. It's like a block away from Madison Square Garden. Google Map it though :mrgreen: cuz I'm from jersey, and we find stuff our own way :lol:
    :-|
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • eddiec wrote:
    Take the Big Apple Tour bus around Manhattan. Having lived in NY almost my whole life i always thought that red double decker bus was the biggest tourist trap ever. But my wife is from Ireland and she forced me to go on it one day. I must say i had a great time. The bus takes you all over the city and you can hop off at any of the stops, spend as long as you want checking out that particular area and then jump back on another bus. It's a great way to get around the whole city and tick off all the major tourist sites. And the driver gives loads of historical info about the city. It may be a bit cold in February but if you dress warm it should be fine.

In terms of restaurants tell me a price range for you and your sister and i'll give you some ideas. If your sister's company is paying your set.

wow that's a great idea, thanks. I never would have thought to take one of those buses, but maybe we will. I'm trying to convince her to go with me on a tour of Saturday Night Live also. my sister has been to NYC a few times, but I'm going to be in full on wide-eyed tourist mode. ;) also I'm a huge theatre buff, so if there's any shows that anyone recommends I would appreciate it.
    our price range for a nice dinner would not be too crazy, probably around $100-200 for the both of us, including wine and all that. I'd love to hear about any inexpensive places that are really good, but I know we want to go to a nice place for one of the nights there.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 wrote:
    [nelly]hey baby, i hear you are looking for a good time, well, i am your pj man[/nelly]

:lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Stay awa from MSG..I hear it has asbestos
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    81 wrote:

Three hours and 13 minutes later you post, Neily?

Ya big slacker.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    BROADWAY...JERSEY BOYS is a must see and Becco is a real good italian place in the theatre district

i've lived here 34 years so i don't even know where to begin with this city

honestly everywhere is good ..its always cool to go to the village with all the music clubs and the freaks with pet rats standing on the corners...

down on the lower east side (where i;am from ) is full of historical stuff

starting with the trade center .. 5 points (from gangs of new york).... tons of old churches down in the financial district plus you have all the historical wars that were fought down there

wall st..south ferry..statue off liberty (all of this stuff is within 15 blocks ) finish the day at st. frauncis tavern..its been standing for over 200 years

so much to do

their is really to much
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    81 wrote:

Ya big slacker.
    :mrgreen:
    Stay awa from MSG..I hear it has asbestos

im there 3 nights a week and i only have 4 ears... no biggie
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    i know nothing
    I miss igotid88
    i've never been in the empire state building :shock:
    Watch out for the van buran boys
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • [nelly]hey baby, i hear you are looking for a good time, well, i am your pj man[/nelly]

Ya big slacker.[/quote]

I feel like I'm missing out on a great private joke...anyone want to fill me in? :oops:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    i've never been in the empire state building :shock:
    Me neither :shock:

Ok let me get to my office and get some good moderately price restaurants ... I'm thinking of this great Greek place on UWS (Keffi)

I would stay away from Times Square (theater district) restaurants because they tend to be over priced because of tourist factor

But you must hit the museums is my reccomendation...
    MOMA (midtown) for Modern Art
    Guggenheim
    Metropolitan Museum of Art (for everything)
    Etc.

And listen to Neily about Jersey Boys... Amazing and fun show...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Is there any food type you prefer to eat? Because you will have your choice of the best. I know a lot of really good Spanish places for dinner and tapas, excellent quality and moderately priced. The French restaurants are amazing but tend to be pricey. Although Jean-Georges sometimes runs a lunch offer. I ate there last spring and it was $28 for a 2 course lunch. Not dirt cheap but it's 3 Michelin star food. And you should grab yourself a dirty water dog at some point. The guys in the pushcarts sell them, you'll see the Sabrett umbrellas. No, not healthy, but delicious, especially if you want something cheap when you are on the go. But let us know what types of food are your favorites and it will make things easier. There are nearly 20,000 restaurants in the city.
    jammergirl wrote:

Ya big slacker.

I feel like I'm missing out on a great private joke...anyone want to fill me in? :oops:[/quote]

BASICALLY IM PERCEIVED AS THE RESIDENT LADIES MAN/PERV OF THIS BOARD...why? i have no idea

normally i would just give you my address and say if you want to see the sights come to my place ...but im a changed man :mrgreen:
    jammergirl wrote:

I feel like I'm missing out on a great private joke...anyone want to fill me in? :oops:

BASICALLY IM PERCEIVED AS THE RESIDENT LADIES MAN/PERV OF THIS BOARD...why? i have no idea

normally i would just give you my address and say if you want to see the sights come to my place ...but im a changed man :mrgreen:

and there you have it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    jammergirl wrote:

I commend you on your new sneaky strategy :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    eddiec wrote:
    Is there any food type you prefer to eat? Because you will have your choice of the best. I know a lot of really good Spanish places for dinner and tapas, excellent quality and moderately priced. The French restaurants are amazing but tend to be pricey. Although Jean-Georges sometimes runs a lunch offer. I ate there last spring and it was $28 for a 2 course lunch. Not dirt cheap but it's 3 Michelin star food. And you should grab yourself a dirty water dog at some point. The guys in the pushcarts sell them, you'll see the Sabrett umbrellas. No, not healthy, but delicious, especially if you want something cheap when you are on the go. But let us know what types of food are your favorites and it will make things easier. There are nearly 20,000 restaurants in the city.
    Oooh great Idea on Prix Fixe Lunches, you can really get to eat at some amazing restaurants this way...

Get Zagats and look under lunch prix fixe specials and if you want reccomendations off the list I am sure a bunch of us could do that...
    And Jean George is my 3rd fave restaurant in the city.. simply amazing.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    jammergirl wrote:

I commend you on your new sneaky strategy :mrgreen:

:lol:;)
    Oooh great Idea on Prix Fixe Lunches, you can really get to eat at some amazing restaurants this way...

Get Zagats and look under lunch prix fixe specials and if you want reccomendations off the list I am sure a bunch of us could do that...
    And Jean George is my 3rd fave restaurant in the city.. simply amazing.

Le Bernardin is my favorite in the city but even their lunch prix fix is still pretty pricy.

Just saw this place online, if you're in the east village at lunchtime it might be worth a look:
    http://nymag.com/bestofny/food/2010/prix-fixe-lunch/
  • thanks everyone on the advice so far, I really appreciate it. even the less helpful posts, you people crack me up! :lol:

I have to admit, what I'm most excited about is the food...I'm a major foodie and I love all kinds...Italian, Japanese, American, as long as it's good! I really want locals recommendations because I don't want to accidentally go to some crappy tourist spot. I want to make every meal count! ;)

we're staying in the Flatiron/Chelsea area, so any good bar recommendations around there would be most appreciated. preferably with a good jukebox! and if anyone wants to meet up for a beer, that would be cool too.
    jammergirl wrote:
    thanks everyone on the advice so far, I really appreciate it. even the less helpful posts, you people crack me up! :lol:

I have to admit, what I'm most excited about is the food...I'm a major foodie and I love all kinds...Italian, Japanese, American, as long as it's good! I really want locals recommendations because I don't want to accidentally go to some crappy tourist spot. I want to make every meal count! ;)

we're staying in the Flatiron/Chelsea area, so any good bar recommendations around there would be most appreciated. preferably with a good jukebox! and if anyone wants to meet up for a beer, that would be cool too.

hi my name is george....im 34 unemployed and live at home with my parents....
    This is some of the rest. with decent lunch deals (for NY :lol: )

Not the full list you get in Zagats but a start and anyone of these is to die for...

http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurants/t ... unches.htm
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    jammergirl wrote:
    thanks everyone on the advice so far, I really appreciate it. even the less helpful posts, you people crack me up! :lol:

hi my name is george....im 34 unemployed and live at home with my parents....

no wonder your a Rangers fan :D

getting back to the topic. I have been to Ny about 11 times and to tell you the truth, every time i go there i end up just meeting random people at some random bar and usually they will tell you different places to go to. New York is great because of things like that.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Since you're a foodie and you live in the great bay area, the best advice I can give is to avoid Mexican food at all costs! I have been taking suggestions for the last 5 years from New Yorkers on where I can get Mexican food as good as on the west coast only to be sorely disappointed. One exception was from a poster on here who introduced me to a gem called Radio Mexico only to have it close a few months later. Just take in the amazing Thai, Japanese, Italian, Korean, etc. Oh! If a pizza place has the word "famous" anywhere in it, know that the only thing it's famous for is duping tourists into thinking this is actually good pizza!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Since you're a foodie and you live in the great bay area, the best advice I can give is to avoid Mexican food at all costs! I have been taking suggestions for the last 5 years from New Yorkers on where I can get Mexican food as good as on the west coast only to be sorely disappointed. One exception was from a poster on here who introduced me to a gem called Radio Mexico only to have it close a few months later. Just take in the amazing Thai, Japanese, Italian, Korean, etc. Oh! If a pizza place has the word "famous" anywhere in it, know that the only thing it's famous for is duping tourists into thinking this is actually good pizza!

yea mookie...radio mexico = me .... aka jason.... aka new york and pearl jam is # 1
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    If you need any drugs while your here, just pm me.