Does Facebook ever freak you out?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I am not signed up with Facebook, but I did browse some profiles of old classmates, which led me to view their "friends" who I also knew way back when.

It was weird seeing how they look now, and it also conjured up some old feelings of dislike for a few people.

Not sure if I want to relive my entire childhood...some things are best left to the past!

It may be cool to connect with people from 30 years ago, but I can barely keep up with friends with whom I am still in contact.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Amen to that!!!!!!
    That's why I'm not on it, saw a couple of bitches I went to school with, got me thinking but was okay. Then came the ex boyfriend!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh (*runs away, arms flailing*) :D
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I am not signed up with Facebook, but I did browse some profiles of old classmates, which led me to view their "friends" who I also knew way back when.

It was weird seeing how they look now, and it also conjured up some old feelings of dislike for a few people.

Not sure if I want to relive my entire childhood...some things are best left to the past!

It may be cool to connect with people from 30 years ago, but I can barely keep up with friends with whom I am still in contact.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Loulou wrote:
    Amen to that!!!!!!
    That's why I'm not on it, saw a couple of bitches I went to school with, got me thinking but was okay. Then came the ex boyfriend!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh (*runs away, arms flailing*) :D
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I am running away as well!
    Lets never go back......EVER!! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    Lets never go back......EVER!! :lol:

Ok!

I can deal revisiting old friendships, but seeing dozens of people's profiles all at once is overwhelming!
    Yeah it is isn't it. It just conjurs up so much shit, your memory hurts! :lol:

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • FINE! its not for you old folks anyway! at least it never should've been...

we need a new social network site! if for no other reason then to say "fuck you" to zuckerberg
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Loulou wrote:
    Yeah it is isn't it. It just conjurs up so much shit, your memory hurts! :lol:

I agree!

As an adult, I am in more control of my life, so it is easy to block-out / avoid the people associated with less then happy feelings.

As a kid, I couldn't avoid classmates, etc., and I had to see them every day!
    FINE! its not for you old folks anyway! at least it never should've been...

we need a new social network site! if for no other reason then to say "fuck you" to zuckerberg

It does more harm to you younger kids....makes it more difficult to keep your life a secret, and it makes it so you don't have to spend time with people in person!
    Yep totally agree, I saw people on there that I wish I had stood up to back then, then you start thinking of all the things you wish you could have said to them!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    +++++++++++1 :D
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

It does more harm to you younger kids....makes it more difficult to keep your life a secret, and it makes it so you don't have to spend time with people in person!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    Yep totally agree, I saw people on there that I wish I had stood up to back then, then you start thinking of all the things you wish you could have said to them!

But on the positive side, you can laugh at people who aren't doing as well as you!

As R.E.M says, "Living Well is the Best Revenge"
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Joined up 3 years ago, a little srange at first when all these people "friended" me. People i hadn't seen in 20 years. Some of them i don't even remember ever talking to. Now, i'm used to it, doesn't phase me.
  • It doesn't freak me out persay. I have mixed feelings about people who post numerous pictures of their kids. I get the idea that they want to share their kids with their friends, but sometimes it seems a little excessive, especially since who knows how private it really is.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

the irony of being warned of potential technology-induced social ineptitude on this forum was not lost on me :geek:

i'm with ya though... my generation is in bad shape
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I actually love it for all the reasons you don't, but you can get whatever you want out of it. Is it kinda fucked up that I love the fact that my ex-wife can see how great my life turned out after she cheated on me before we had a chance to start a family? And that my wife and I have an amazing little boy and another on the way while she's already been through another husband without starting the family she so desperately wants?

Maybe :D
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

the irony of being warned of potential technology-induced social ineptitude on this forum was not lost on me :geek:

i'm with ya though... my generation is in bad shape

Glad you got the irony!

There are a few positives.....I think it is good that people with communicative disorders are put on equal footing when using social media. It also allows people to lose 50 lbs when stating their physical attributes!
    Yeah, I know my avatar on here has my little baby in it, but I thought it was wierd to see someone I know put pics of their kids in the bath and stuff. I mean, there are alot of freakin wierdos on those sites.
    It doesn't freak me out persay. I have mixed feelings about people who post numerous pictures of their kids. I get the idea that they want to share their kids with their friends, but sometimes it seems a little excessive, especially since who knows how private it really is.

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    Yeah, I know my avatar on here has my little baby in it, but I thought it was wierd to see someone I know put pics of their kids in the bath and stuff. I mean, there are alot of freakin wierdos on those sites.
    It doesn't freak me out persay. I have mixed feelings about people who post numerous pictures of their kids. I get the idea that they want to share their kids with their friends, but sometimes it seems a little excessive, especially since who knows how private it really is.

and on this site as well!

:)
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

and on this site as well!

:)
    :lol::lol: Indeed!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • I deleted my account about two years ago.

I was just out of high school when it started, but I feel like the entire concept is quite unsettling and creepy and very impersonal.

I love that no one now knows what I am up to except for those that I am close with.

Naturally not many people share my feelings on the subject, but I am happy being private and free of the unnecessary negatives it carries.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • shine79shine79 Posts: 49
    I have a love/hate relationship with fb myself.

Although i've been on and off it for four years i guess now, i'm not exactly comfortable with it.
    In fact, i will likely close (temporarily disable..or whatever you wanna call it) at the end of January.

I happen to be more of a private person by nature, so i struggle with it. I sometimes feel exposed even after i put out an occasional status update.
    There's a few other factors that bother me as well:
    Narcissism central: "hanging out with my HOT preggers wife" -WB :roll:
    Too Much Info: "I'm so proud of Mason who not only pees on the potty, but poos now too" -LB eeeek!
    "I have officially been puked on by both kids in one day" -AK
    (and that is just from the past month...)
    Superficial friendships: this can take on many forms i guess. I'm thinking of a few personal examples where we have mutual friends, but don't really get on.

i much prefer that human-to-human/real-life contact, or even just speaking over the phone.
    Understandably that's not always possible, so fb sometimes fills in the gap good there, but sometimes i feel that it has replaced it.

All that being said, i realize there are certainly a few advantages:
    it is helpful for sharing photos, especially when there's a few people involved.
    As well, getting invited to events is also much more likely to happen when you're on fb.

Anyways, i think i've just gone on too much...!
    06.19.98 Vancouver | 11.06.00 Seattle | 05.30.03 Vancouver | 09.25.09 Vancouver
  • The whole concept of telling the world your every waking move, the need to post hundreds of pictures of totally random things and label them '2011 so far...' and the compulsion to have 3452 friends of which you speak to five on a regular basis freaks me out.

In very, very small doses, it's bearable. An alternative to e-mailing. Just don't start with the poking shit or send me some bullshit story about some incredibly brave soldier who had been mortally wounded and was visited in hospital by the same nurse every night and then she sees him one morning, standing at the roadside, unhurt and healthy and when she gets to the hospital he's died the previous night and if this story touched you send it to 10 of your friends along with the hidden tracking cookies and virus that'll fuck your pc up for weeks.

And no, I don't give a fuck what score you got on Jewel Quest either.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Yes, especially when people find me and request I accept them as a friend, even though my account is private and you cannot find me in search.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    shine79 wrote:
    I have a love/hate relationship with fb myself.

Me too. I don't have any old school friends on there, all my Facebook friends are family and current friends. I like the way we can update each other on what we are doing and put up a few pics. There are some real wankers that go on there though. Why we need to know that someone has just gone out for a walk, or visited the bathroom I don't know. One of my wife's FB friends is so full of himself he spends most of the time letting people know how wealthy he is. He once posted "just going out to take some pics and realised I left my £2000 zoom behind" What a tit!

The good thing though is if someone pisses you off, delete them.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I ONLY JOINED 2 MONTHS AGO SO IM LATE TO THE PARTY....however ... its kind of bogus

so many people just have a look at me attitude on there ..such and such is in the airport ,things like that

and the non stop baby pictures from some are just way to excessive

of course their are good aspects..but overall i think its bogus
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Facebook doesn't freak me out in terms of its concept and being able to reconnect with past friends. Not too worried about the privacy since I don't have a lot of personal info on there and have the security settings locked down.

I do wonder about some of the things people feel the need to share though (refer back to shine79's post for examples). It's also interesting to see who sends you a friend request and who accepts your requests. Got a request from a guy that I got into a fight with in middle school. We hated each other all through school so it was a WTF? moment when I got that request (and ignored because I still don't like the guy).
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    the need to post hundreds of pictures of totally random things and label them '2011 so far...'

This made me laugh.

F facebook in the A, I need to delete my account. I think I joined back in 2004 or so.....much different back then.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    no website has freaked me out... well other than that one with the japanese woman and a tank of live eels... but that aside... what freaks me out more is the PJ lyrics as updates...

We know you love the band!!!! stop using their fucking lyrics as status updates!?!?!??!?!

Jay DeMarco "Routine was the theme. He'd wake up wash and pour himself into uniform."

3 likes and 7 comments...

fuck that. :thumbdown:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    glad to see so many on here have the same attitude as me. never been on it, no interest in it at all. was in high school in the 80s so not really the facebook generation. no interest in reconnecting with people from the past, if i cared i'd still be in touch.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    The people who have loads of pictures of themselves...ya gotta wonder about those people, and I particularly stay away from them. Extreme narcissism turns me off.