Phone Anxiety

2»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    also regarding emails, just with me and my friends--the amount of email threads going back and forth with a bunch of us has greatly diminished over the last few years. used to have multiple threads with different sets of friends going at once (usually sports related). nowadays, that doesn't seem to happen anymore for some reason. we usually text each other or bust each other's stones on facebook....
    www.myspace.com
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I hate all things phone related, especially listening to phone messages. We got an answering machine (to save money over voice mail), and somedays I'll go days without listening to the messages. Its never anything good. My husband and I text most of the time now, and so do me and my kids.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Sometimes I really don't feel like answering the phone so I let the machine get it.

I almost always have to FORCE myself to make business calls because I dread having to leave recorded messages if people aren't there, but I do them anyway because,...well... calling is necessary sometimes! :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I can't stand talking on the phone at work, prefer handling the customer service email but I prefer the phone with friends and other social situations.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    iluvcats wrote:
    Your not alone.. you and my girlfriend are in the same boat. she always hates the call me because she feels so awkward shell text me and ask me to please call her because he HATES calling people.
    I've noticed this girl only texts me too. The only reason I felt obligated to call her is because we haven't spoken verbally since Sunday.

I have issues. 8-)

since sunday? what kind of love life is that, texting you? if I lived in chicago, i'd be your detective, she needs to be checked up on.
    Three days?

She works evenings and I work days. I'm not worried, so you shouldn't be. ;)

If she was calling me everyday, I'd be annoyed. I'm glad we're both on the same page.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I hate the phone. At least with an e-mail or text, you have time to think about what you want to say.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Yeah I am phone shy, was worse when I first started at my job.
    Now I am comfortable at work on the phone.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I used to be really bad about that. I'd only make my needed calls after a two martini lunch! With age it has certainly gotten better, as most things do. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    is that why you never answer when i call :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    81 wrote:
    is that why you never answer when i call :(
    Yep!
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    I am the opposite...I get stressed out when I DON'T have my mobile phone. I like the security of having it, especially with having a small child and working nights. I am going to be flippin out over the next couple weeks as I have to send my ph I use for my business (day job) off for warranty repairs. Have to find and old phone to use to get msgs and calls for jobs, as you can only divert calls to another ph#, but not sms. :evil:
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I need to use the phone constantly at work,but I hate answer machines,I worry my message sounds rushed and stupid,but I know that comes directly from an experience when an ex boss of mine burst out laughing after I had hung up from leaving a voice message for a client and commented that I sounded like a "mental case" :o as I had left such a garbled fast message,she was a bitch,tis why she is no longer my boss :D

I rarely answer the phone at home,I screen ALL my calls then if I want to reply I will,but I usually don't ... or I leave it for a few days,sometimes weeks to reply.
    I also have music as my answer machine message,no voice so that cuts WAY down on market research call's etc,it confuses them :lol:

I haven't had a mobile phone that long and could easily do without it,mostly have it for work and because my friends tend to use that as their regular phone.

I'd much rather email :thumbup:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i always choose to listen to my voice mail before actually leaving it :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    I hate talking on the phone too. When someone calls me it is usually strained on my end to carry the conversation. Kind of like talking to Hank Hill--Yep--

My husband owns his own business and I have to make calls for him sometimes and I am kind of like stargirl69 when I leave messages. It is like I am in a race with the clock to see how fast I can get all the info out. Can I get it out in one breath or two? And I never answer the phone when it rings unless it is family or a close friend. There are like 6 people who call who I will answer the phone for. The rest must leave a message and I will consider calling you back after I mentally construct what I am going to say.

And like the Juggler, I have to be crafty with my voice messages. It is all a lot of work, the phone is.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    where's D when we need him?

Why Now You Don't Calling?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Hate making calls. 75% small talk and pleasantries... text gets right to the point.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I too hate the phone and sometimes feel the same way. I prefer texting to be honest.

If I'm going to communicate with someone in great length, let's just see each other in person.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • I hate using the phone. I'm not so bad if people phone me, but if I have to make the call I get really nervous, heart starts pounding, I can't think what to say - not good!
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I hate using the phone. I'm not so bad if people phone me, but if I have to make the call I get really nervous, heart starts pounding, I can't think what to say - not good!

"Hello" is popular. ;)
  • I hate using the phone. I'm not so bad if people phone me, but if I have to make the call I get really nervous, heart starts pounding, I can't think what to say - not good!

"Hello" is popular. ;)

LOL! I mean if I'm phoning for something specific, like today I had to phone up the company I ordered my new glasses through. I'd worked out what I was going to say in my head, but as soon as the woman answered I had a bit of a brain fart and couldn't get my words out.

I know it's all practice - at work I quite often have to phone a help desk to get engineers in, and the conversation is pretty much identical every time, no spontaneous questions to throw me off or anything, and so I'm fine with that. I think I just need to chill out and stop worrying what the other person on the line thinks of me, it's highly unlikely I'm ever gonna meet them anyway!