Phone Anxiety

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone else hate talking on the phone?

I just practically had a panic attack while leaving a message with this girl I'm seeing. WTF?.. And not just women.. Friends, family, hell I always panic a little before I call my dad.

It's like I feel like I'm about to interrupt something.. And then when talking to someone, there's always that lack of reading the persons physical expressions, pauses in speech become awkward, so on.

I always feel more comfortable getting to the point through a text, or communicating in person. And even a little better when I'm the person being called. I always feel like I'm infringing on something when I call someone.

Am I alone in this, or a weirdo. :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Your not alone.. you and my girlfriend are in the same boat. she always hates the call me because she feels so awkward shell text me and ask me to please call her because he HATES calling people.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Nope, your not alone. I hate my phone. I hate making calls and recieving them and I hate my mobile. I only have it for safety reasons. I would go without one quite happily for the rest of my life! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Kids today...can't even talk to each other anymore

:roll: ;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited January 2011

I'm 32.. And prefer communication in person. I have no problem sticking my tongue down this girls throat, but god forbid I interrupt her with a phone call. :lol:

I guess my Dad is the same way. Quick awkward phone conversations, but the he wonders why I never call him. :lol:

You know, people were saying the same thing when phones were invented. ;)
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i sure used to be, my job has forced me too deal with it, not so bad anymore.

my home answer machine is my wife saying "We are home, but we are not picking up the phone".

my wife has a cell phone for emergencies, i dont have one.

this is WHY email has been invented
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

i ain't no kid and i've always hated talking on the phone

then again i don't like talking to people in person either

:P
    And I'm 28....but can you call me a kid again, aaaaaahhh makes me feel young again....
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Your not alone.. you and my girlfriend are in the same boat. she always hates the call me because she feels so awkward shell text me and ask me to please call her because he HATES calling people.
    I've noticed this girl only texts me too. The only reason I felt obligated to call her is because we haven't spoken verbally since Sunday.

I have issues. 8-)
    Maybe she's just shy. It's a whole lot easier to text words than to have to say them out loud. I hate text too though! :lol: Jeeez what a little hermit I've become!

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

I'm 32.. And prefer communication in person.

Thats odd...usually people are more comfortable on the phone

I usually vomit like that kid on South Park when face-to-face
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I used to not mind the phone, and then I worked at a telemarketing place for one night :evil:. Then I worked for a cell phone company, and took a medical leave of absence for 2 months, came back and then they put me on the phones...call center work (people called me) :twisted: . I had panic attacks every day...freaking stupid phones.....apparently people like talking to me on the phone...I have a 'phone voice'... :?

I *love* texting lovelovelove it! and I never answer my phone...unless it's someone I know...then I think about answering it for like 3 rings.... :lol::lol::lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Loulou wrote:
    Maybe she's just shy. It's a whole lot easier to text words than to have to say them out loud. I hate text too though! :lol: Jeeez what a little hermit I've become!

Yes, texting feels cheap, lazy.. I guess a phone call is just a more caring long text, but yeah, if my fingers were fast enough, I think I would only text people.
    edited January 2011

I'm 32.. And prefer communication in person.

Thats odd...usually people are more comfortable on the phone

I usually vomit like that kid on South Park when face-to-face

Like the tone in somebodies voice, facial expression and body language can be equally or even more telling. How do you know somebody isn't making disgusted faces, taking a crap, or masturbating while you're talking to them. :lol:

I feel much more comfortable when I can read body language. Other than that, I'd rather get to the point with a text.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    Id much rather talk vs text. Texting is too damn slow
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Like the tone in somebodies voice, facial expression and body language can be equally or even more telling. How do you know somebody isn't making disgusted faces, taking a crap, or masturbating while you're talking to them. :lol:

I feel much more comfortable when I can read body language. Other than that, I'd rather get the the point with a text.

yep...call me paranoid but i want to see the person i'm talking to...unless it's my family, old friends

as for texting, short convos are fine but i won't do full conversations...at that point it's either email or the phone
    81 wrote:
    Id much rather talk vs text. Texting is too damn slow
    Thats my only problem with texting. Once I've established we are both trying to get off a lot of information at the same time, I usually get frustrated with the person and just call them.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613

my home answer machine is my wife saying "We are home, but we are not picking up the phone".

EMAIL?

who uses email other than for work anymore?!?! :lol::lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    me too
    i kinda feel like...well, maybe they're busy
    or maybe they don't wanna talk right now
    or maybe they haven't called cuz i have nothing interesting to say
    although no ones ever accused me of having nothing to say
    but its awkward
    its not like i've been invited over or anything
    its like i'm rudely barging in via the phone
    most of the time i hope they don't answer
    and then they'll see me on the caller id and call me back hen they feel like it
    which is what they'll have to do because i feel funny about answering machines too

wow! reading back over that...i'm willing to bet that you don't feel quite the odd one now, do you? hehehee
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~

EMAIL?

ah everybody

EMAIL?

ah everybody
    I only use email for work.. My grandma loves it though.

Really, texting and social networking have made email obsolete these days.
  • Does anyone else hate talking on the phone?

I just practically had a panic attack while leaving a message with this girl I'm seeing. WTF?.. And not just women.. Friends, family, hell I always panic a little before I call my dad.

It's like I feel like I'm about to interrupt something.. And then when talking to someone, there's always that lack of reading the persons physical expressions, pauses in speech become awkward, so on.

I always feel more comfortable getting to the point through a text, or communicating in person. And even a little better when I'm the person being called. I always feel like I'm infringing on something when I call someone.

Your a fucking weirdo........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    i wake up to like 40 a day, it's a chore for me at this point.

although i'm not on facebook, this, espn, google news are about it for me. well youtube.

so i guess I should address the source of the problem. 8-)
    i wake up to like 40 a day, it's a chore for me at this point.

although i'm not on facebook, this, espn, google news are about it for me. well youtube.

40 emails....fuck that....

i unsubscribed from all the crap that i had signed up for over the years. i only get a few things now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

so i guess I should address the source of the problem. 8-)

:lol::lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613

EMAIL?

ah everybody
    :lol:

i'm halfway kidding. i guess only if you need to reach a bunch of people, email works. i obviously have email on my blackberry but i barely read them. texting seems to be more convenient for people. it's more immediate.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/long-form ... -existed/#
    www.myspace.com

so i get a text telling me i have a 1K message and i need to go to a website to get it......pass

my email goes to my phone already. why would i want add additional steps

and on top of that, i already get 1K messages, they just come across the wire in 2 or 3 chunks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    you need help likeanocean :)

i'm saying that lovingly b/c I care.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Your not alone.. you and my girlfriend are in the same boat. she always hates the call me because she feels so awkward shell text me and ask me to please call her because he HATES calling people.
    I've noticed this girl only texts me too. The only reason I felt obligated to call her is because we haven't spoken verbally since Sunday.

I have issues. 8-)

since sunday? what kind of love life is that, texting you? if I lived in chicago, i'd be your detective, she needs to be checked up on.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more