Why are we friends with these people?

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I'm not friends with those people. My tolerance level for BS is pretty much zero. Probably why I have about 3 friends.

i can count on 1 finger how many friends i have

:oops:

I was clearly stretching the truth. I have two friends and a brother I'm close to... My ex band. Hell, even the two friends grow more distant by the day, one in particular.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    eyedclaar wrote:
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I'm not friends with those people. My tolerance level for BS is pretty much zero. Probably why I have about 3 friends.

I was clearly stretching the truth. I have two friends and a brother I'm close to... My ex band. Hell, even the two friends grow more distant by the day, one in particular.

Come see Drive-By Truckers with the lady and I in March @ The Knitting Factory. I'll buy you a friendship beer. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eyedclaar wrote:
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

well i was exaggerating too...i have a friend for the thumb ;)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    norm wrote:
    :(
    just start backing away from this guy, dc...he sounds very toxic and no one needs that in their life

Well said Norm and I love your avatar ... it makes me smile EVERY time I see it

dcfaithful ... how long have you been friends?
    I attended Transpersonal Therapy and one of the issues that rose for me was one of my friendships that I had been in for 24 years ... but I had grown to despise this person and what they have become over that time.
    My therapist asked me a very simple question that you may want to ask yourself.
    "If you had never met this person before and had to spend a day with them as they are now ... at the end of that day would you want to be friends with them?
    If the answers no .... leave the friendship,it's ran it's course,we'd leave a intimate relationships easier than we leave some friendships ... if the answers yes ... acknowledge and build on what has gone wrong

Just something to think about :D ... hope it helps
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    norm wrote:
    seriously, i had/have a friend like this...i've known him since the 4th grade...was always the loud, obnoxious, trying to be funny guy...and sometimes he was funny and fun to hang out with...but after high school it became harder and harder to hang out with him because we were growing up and he wasn't...it no longer was funny or fun...eventually he got married and had a litter of kids and we 'speak' now and then on facebook...i've actually been thinking about getting together with him to see if he's changed

just start backing away from this guy, dc...he sounds very toxic and no one needs that in their life
    I think this is a really good description of why friends like this add nothing to your life. Most people eventually grow up but there always seems to be someone who completely lacks maturity. In a few years, this guy will be hanging out with people about 10 years younger than he is because they'll be the only ones who can tolerate him. He will probably marry someone much younger because she finds him "fun" and doesn't realize what a loser he is. Seen it happen.

Lots of things could be at work here. Maybe he's a budding alcoholic. Maybe he's just an asshole. Whatever the case, I doubt you'll regret ridding yourself of him. Even if you run into him at other things, you don't have to make any excuses for yourself. Just tell him he wasn't any kind of a friend. When he tries to put it on you, say something like "Oh, yeah, everything has to be about YOU." Better yet, just walk away.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I had a group of four close freinds(thick as theives for 5 years), met my girl and started hangin less and less with them, one day they gave me an ultimatum, Show up at such and such time and at such and such place or your out of the group, so i said ok, when i left that night i never had any intention of showing up, freinds don't give friends ultimatums.

and those were 4 pretty cool guys, your buddy sounds like a dick, fuck him.
    I had a group of four close freinds(thick as theives for 5 years), met my girl and started hangin less and less with them, one day they gave me an ultimatum, Show up at such and such time and at such and such place or your out of the group, so i said ok, when i left that night i never had any intention of showing up, freinds don't give friends ultimatums.

to quote ms. wes c addle "what the fucking fuck?!" :wtf: :roll:

what kind of assholes demand a friend to hang with them...you do that to me, be prepared to never see my fat ass again
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Come see Drive-By Truckers

you're not coming to chicago to see them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:

what kind of assholes demand a friend to hang with them...you do that to me, be prepared to never see my fat ass again

Never saw or heard from any of them again, whats worse, when we started hangin two of them were married and and three of us were single, we would always work around the two married guys to make the group work, but then i meet a girl while these two get divorced and all the rules change.

They weren't bad guys though, just going in different directions.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    norm wrote:

Never saw or heard from any of them again, whats worse, when we started hangin two of them were married and and three of us were single, we would always work around the two married guys to make the group work, but then i meet a girl while these two get divorced and all the rules change.

They weren't bad guys though, just going in different directions.
    \

to make a demand like that is just selfish. i've always said friends shouldn't need a scorecard. it's not about how many times you see or talk to someone but how you talk and see someone and your actions towards them. as you get older lives can do in different directions but there are a few guys i am friends with that i would still kill for even if i only talk to them a few times a year. hard to explain that i guess but i think you know it when you see it or have it.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    People that act like that are just begging to get knocked out.
    As for the original post mentioning depressing posts......there used to be 2 specific people that would post EVERY DAMN DAY about something negative. it was always a thread or post about them being alone or not having enough money to WALK to the corner store..... :? It was annoying. But instead of trying to make a situation better, they just looked for sympathy and a LOT of people in the AET gave it to them. You can only offer good advice or help someone so much. Good luck getting rid of that guy!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    SENROCK wrote:
    As for the original post mentioning depressing posts......there used to be 2 specific people that would post EVERY DAMN DAY about something negative. it was always a thread or post about them being alone or not having enough money to WALK to the corner store..... :? It was annoying. But instead of trying to make a situation better, they just looked for sympathy and a LOT of people in the AET gave it to them. You can only offer good advice or help someone so much. Good luck getting rid of that guy!

It's a tea disease,... and they're all green ;) :P :lol:
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    From the perspective of someone who's lived twice as long as you ( :oops: :shock: :oops: ) I can say that you're at one of those natural transition periods. Early 20s. This is a point where some folks go one way, others go another. Maybe you travel the roads together, maybe you meet up again in the future. Maybe you don't.

If I were you, and this guy had been a friend, I would be walking away. Unless the person has some kind of major change in attitude, gets some help, whatever it is he needs to be a semi-appropriate individual, you don't need to feel responsible.

Of course I write this rocking in my granny chair, thinking, "I'm pretty sure dcfaithful doesn't have impossible standards and would cut the guy a lot of slack..." :lol:;)

In all seriousness, it sounds like it's time for you to move on from this guy.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    norm wrote:
    SENROCK wrote:

It's a tea disease,... and they're all green ;) :P :lol:

Never would have guessed... ;)

81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I'd love to, but Boise, ID is much more affordable for us. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I'd love to, but Boise, ID is much more affordable for us. :(

Be careful if you go to Boise.

*eyed rubs his hands together with an evil cackle*
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

I offered a friendship beer. Anyone who harms a guy that offers that is a cold bastard. :P 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

I offered a friendship beer. Anyone who harms a guy that offers that is a cold bastard. :P 8-)

When was this friendship beer offered? Uneasy is the truce made with a utahan... :D

eyedclaar wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

When was this friendship beer offered? Uneasy is the truce made with a utahan... :D

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/679770/
    norm wrote:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/679770/[/quote]

Exactly... Wait, what?

:lol::lol::lol:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I can see why, I can. But trust me...you won't regret making a truce with this Utahn.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Give him the gift of the truth.....tell him how his actions push people away. That is all you can do. If he refuses to take responsibility, that is his problem.

I had a friend who used to complain that all guys want to do is sleep with her. I reminded her that she is very flirtatious, and that by fooling around with guys soon after meeting them, she sends the wrong message.

She accused me of calling her a whore, and never spoke to me again.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Give him the gift of the truth.....tell him how his actions push people away. That is all you can do. If he refuses to take responsibility, that is his problem.

I had a friend who used to complain that all guys want to do is sleep with her. I reminded her that she is very flirtatious, and that by fooling around with guys soon after meeting them, she sends the wrong message.

serves you right for stating the obvious!
    norm wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

When I saw that you responded, I thought that you were gonna ask for her number!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    norm wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

When I saw that you responded, I thought that you were gonna ask for her number!

thought about that but who needs a serial flirt ;)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    norm wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    norm wrote:

ok, I won't flirt with you at the show norm.... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I'll flirt with you norm, if it'll make you feel better.

You'll have to buy me about 8 beers before I do so.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    4and20 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I'll flirt with you norm, if it'll make you feel better.

You'll have to buy me about 8 beers before I do so.

Looks like we will have a fight on our hands!

I will BUY Norm 8 beers just for the pleasure of flirting with him!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the affection of Norm is priceless, so a fellas gotta do what a fellas gotta do!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Looks like we will have a fight on our hands!

I will BUY Norm 8 beers just for the pleasure of flirting with him!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the affection of Norm is priceless, so a fellas gotta do what a fellas gotta do!

It's quite alright, I've heard stories about Norm. He's one crazy cat. I've also heard you should keep some penicillin around if you're going to accept his affection though.

:shock:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL