Bring back the Sonics!

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Bump!!

Here is PJ's take on the subject from Seattle 9/2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q90VmGGzxTY
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How about we just get rid of a bunch of these teams and have a much better league.

that goes for all 4 leagues

Yeah, definitely. Basketball seems like the worst to me though. Maybe hockey but I don't follow that enough so I wouldn't know.

Will be curious to see what kind of attendace the Marlins can pull once their new stadium opens.

So you're in support of LeBron James' comment regarding contraction? Don't worry I'm not taking offense or anything, simply curious.

A part of me concurs. I don't think I'd be upset to see some of the perennial bad teams taken out of the league... and I'm speaking mainly about basketball (for lack of following, or caring about the other sports).
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    aNiMaL wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Hmmm, well...then perhaps they should stay. I wonder if the Mariners get a decent turnout.

I'm proud to be from the state with the most intimidating and loudest NBA arena. :mrgreen:
    I appreciate what you are doing here, I really do.

That said, please stop suggesting we should get rid or trade away our other two professional sports teams. The M's and the 'Hawks are not going anywhere. ;)

Fair enough. :) I can respect fully a city wanting to keep their teams. However, I can't respect someone coming in and promising to keep them there and then doing your damndest to move them away as fast as you can.... with the under the table help of a shithead commish.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    contraction is good. the only reason lebron was crucified was because it would cost jobs and the players union doesn't wan that.

i think they should do what the do in soccer over seas. the team or two each season gets demoted to the minors, and the best team in the minors gets promoted too the majors.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    contraction is good. the only reason lebron was crucified was because it would cost jobs and the players union doesn't wan that.

i think they should do what the do in soccer over seas. the team or two each season gets demoted to the minors, and the best team in the minors gets promoted too the majors.

That was my only problem with his statement too. But some of the playesr make me wonder how the hell they got into the professionals anyway.

and I wouldn't be opposed to the whole soccer concept.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:

YES! relegation would be great for all leagues!
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

Just to make sure I understand, would it work like this:

For example: The Utah Jazz have a losing season in 2010-2011...in turn, the next season they would be demoted to a minor league, or d-league until they improve enough to be readmitted into the NBA?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

best part, no Clippers games. :lol:

problem is, would the demoted team continue to play in teh same city/areana? can you imange a D leage game at the staples center and a NBA game in the Dakota's? Or would the Clippers move to the Dakota's and that team move to LA. You could eventually, have the Clippers playing in New York and the Knicks in LA.

Or do the Clippers stay in LA, but the players are all shipped to Dakota and the Dakota players are all shipped to LA and become clippers. and who owns what? could be very confusing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

best part, no Clippers games. :lol:

problem is, would the demoted team continue to play in teh same city/areana? can you imange a D leage game at the staples center and a NBA game in the Dakota's? Or would the Clippers move to the Dakota's and that team move to LA. You could eventually, have the Clippers playing in New York and the Knicks in LA.

Or do the Clippers stay in LA, but the players are all shipped to Dakota and the Dakota players are all shipped to LA and become clippers. and who owns what? could be very confusing.

Yeah, that would add some difficulty to the whole situation.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

Just to make sure I understand, would it work like this:

For example: The Utah Jazz have a losing season in 2010-2011...in turn, the next season they would be demoted to a minor league, or d-league until they improve enough to be readmitted into the NBA?

sort of

Lets say the Jazz are the worst NBA team. They get demoted to the D league.

The D league champion is than promoted to the NBA.

The Jazz get back to the NBA by being the best D league team.

you could have one or two teams swap each season. So maybe it's the Jazz and Clippers going down.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i'm not completely sure as how it works or how it would work here...it's really a pipe dream since the owners and players (union) wouldn't want it
    81 wrote:
    sort of

Lets say the Jazz are the worst NBA team. They get demoted to the D league.

The D league champion is than promoted to the NBA.

The Jazz get back to the NBA by being the best D league team.

you could have one or two teams swap each season. So maybe it's the Jazz and Clippers going down.

But if only one, two, or three teams subtracted at the end of a season, with teams coming in to replace them...what would be the point. You'd still have a big number of teams. Would it be to simply hope that all your teams are winning, and elite teams. So then it's just a league of all these kick ass basketball teams?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

maybe the NBA splits into two leagues. The A league and the B leauge. the A doesn't play the B. The A would get the top 24 and the B woudl get the bottom 12 (assume some expansion with seattle, chicago, KC, pittsburgh, buffalo, cincy, nashville and san jose)

there would clearly be an incentive to win and get to the A leauge. Prestige, higher ticket prices, high concession prices, chance at a real championship.

you could put some rules around transfers. maybe it's a minimum of 2 per year. If you finish in the bottom 5 for 3 years in a row, you get demoted as well. it'd be fun.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

maybe the NBA splits into two leagues. The A league and the B leauge. the A doesn't play the B. The A would get the top 24 and the B woudl get the bottom 12 (assume some expansion with seattle, chicago, KC, pittsburgh, buffalo, cincy, nashville and san jose)

there would clearly be an incentive to win and get to the A leauge. Prestige, higher ticket prices, high concession prices, chance at a real championship.

you could put some rules around transfers. maybe it's a minimum of 2 per year. If you finish in the bottom 5 for 3 or more years in a row, you get demoted as well. it'd be fun.

Or, what if it was simply divided amongst the conferences, and thus being only conference titles?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

you could put some rules around transfers. maybe it's a minimum of 2 per year. If you finish in the bottom 5 for 3 or more years in a row, you get demoted as well. it'd be fun.

Or, what if it was simply divided amongst the conferences, and thus being only conference titles?

however you want to title them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

I don't know, personally i'm fine with the league the way it is. I look forwardt o beating the piss out of shitty teams, and being extremely upset by losing to them too.

I think it's all apart of the sport. Shitty teams should have the right to contend and have the right to upset a favorite. Reference the Jazz's victory against the Heat back in November... Everyone expected Miami to win, myself included... turned out to be quite the upset and a great, great game.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

I don't know, personally i'm fine with the league the way it is. I look forwardt o beating the piss out of shitty teams, and being extremely upset by losing to them too.

I think it's all apart of the sport. Shitty teams should have the right to contend and have the right to upset a favorite. Reference the Jazz's victory against the Heat back in November... Everyone expected Miami to win, myself included... turned out to be quite the upset and a great, great game.

Jazz and Heat would have both been in the A league.

Teams like the Nets, Washington, Philly, Detroit, MN and Sacremento would be in the B league.

biggest issue would be attracting free agents to teams that know they will be stuck in the B league next season. you would really need to build the team thru the draft to get to the A league.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • nice article! hell, i had a sonics jersey growing up and i lived in chicago (dunno how/why that happened)

i can't believe anaheim and st. louis are even in the same discussion

BRING EM BACK!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    nice article! hell, i had a sonics jersey growing up and i lived in chicago (dunno how/why that happened)

!
    some would say that was fraudulent. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    nice article! hell, i had a sonics jersey growing up and i lived in chicago (dunno how/why that happened)

!
    some would say that was fraudulent. :lol:
    i think i just liked shawn kemp cause he had the same name... even if he did spell it wrong
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Shit, you get a couple hours of work done and this thread went crazy. I just think there are way too many teams with not nearly enough talent. A more competitive league with better teams will be better for everyone.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    norm wrote:
    what amazes me is with all the micro$oft millionaires they have in seattle, they can't get a decent arena?

and david stern's nutsack should be used as a speedbag

seattle deserves the sonics. i'm all for this.

isn't the key arena only like 20 years old? what was so bad about it?
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    the NHL needs to head to Seattle stat.

The NBA doesnt deserve Seattle
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:

none of the top 4 leagues should have more than 25 teams.

the reason most people say the nba was better back in the 80's or early 90's wasn't entirely because that was the era they grew up in....it's because it was true. there's just not enough top talent to spread around to 30 teams.
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I have been saying for years that MLB would be awesome if it somehow revamped and adopted a tiered relegation/promotion system. There are already a couple tiers, but the bottom teams never really play for anything. The season is so long, many more games would be meaningful. You could also include most AAA teams. I would be much more receptive to the "open market" of MLB if it was structured that way.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    "BRING BACK OUR SEATTLE SUPERSONICS!!!!!!!" - Gary Payton
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    aNiMaL wrote:
    "BRING BACK OUR SEATTLE SUPERSONICS!!!!!!!" - Gary Payton

AGREED!!!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
    https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 6055227393

The deal will sell the Kings for approximately $500 million, with the Seattle group seeking relocation to Key Arena for the 2013-'14 season.
    https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 3687746561

The Seattle group's plans, with support of the NBA, is to play two seasons in Key Arena before moving into a new Seattle arena, sources say.
    https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 8550758400
    norm wrote:
    The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
    https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 6055227393

The deal will sell the Kings for approximately $500 million, with the Seattle group seeking relocation to Key Arena for the 2013-'14 season.
    https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 3687746561

The Seattle group's plans, with support of the NBA, is to play two seasons in Key Arena before moving into a new Seattle arena, sources say.
    https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 8550758400

stupid maloofs.

now can the new sonics trade for the old sonic players
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg