Hall of Fame 2011

xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
congratulations to Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar for making it to the Hall of Fame this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/sport ... 6hall.html
Reading 2004
Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
Chicago 2007
Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
Fenway 2, 2018
MSG 2022
St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
MSG 2024, MSG 2024
Philadelphia 2024
"I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
Things happen in the game. Nothing you
can do. I don't go and say,
"I'm gonna beat this guy up."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    I always enjoyed watching Roberto, especially when he was a Blue Jay (although, didn't he spit on someone?)

Glad to see he is in.

Still no McGwire though.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • loadedgun wrote:
    I always enjoyed watching Roberto, especially when he was a Blue Jay (although, didn't he spit on someone?)

Glad to see he is in.

Still no McGwire though.

I forgot where I saw it, but I think Alomar and Hirschbeck buried the hatchet a while ago.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    Roberto was incredible in the field and a very good hitter. He spit in umpire John Hirschbeck's face after he was called out on strikes...black eye on him, but he apologized up and down for it.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    spitgate definitely cost alomar a first-ballot entry ... either way ... he's going in and well deserved ... i wonder what cap he'll wear in? ... do they even get to choose?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Hopefully for Hirshbeck's sake alomar didn't have AIDS yet when he spit on him.
    polaris_x wrote:
    spitgate definitely cost alomar a first-ballot entry ... either way ... he's going in and well deserved ... i wonder what cap he'll wear in? ... do they even get to choose?

players don't choose. MLB does
    ever since Wade Boggs tried going in as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray MLB stepped in and chose the team. I would think that Alomar is going in with the Blue Jays cap...two World Series titles and most of his offensive categories had their best stats while in Toronto.

I am really shocked that John Franco didn't get 5% of the vote to be included on next year's ballot. When he retired he was second on the All-Time Saves List and most by a Left-handed pitcher. He just missed with 4.6% of the vote. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

MLB or the hall? Thought it was the Hall?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    congratulations to Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar for making it to the Hall of Fame this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/sport ... 6hall.html

Congrats to both, now get Jim Kaat in there!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    WhyGo77 wrote:
    ever since Wade Boggs tried going in as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray MLB stepped in and chose the team. I would think that Alomar is going in with the Blue Jays cap...two World Series titles and most of his offensive categories had their best stats while in Toronto.

he'd be the first one inducted wearing a blue jay cap if he does
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

MLB or the hall? Thought it was the Hall?

yeah, that's what I meant. you're right.

there have been some weird choices over the years
    I also can't see how Bert Blyleven is a Hall of Famer...because of longevity? He had some good years, but he only was in the Top 10 of the Cy Young Award vote four times in his 22 years - and never higher than 3rd place. 287 wins and 250 losses. He pitched until he was 41 years old, but that doesn't matter. A guy like Jack Morris was one of the top pitchers of his era (80s and early 90s) and he only gets 53.5% of the vote.

The whole steroids issue is another problem in and of itself.

Blyleven was an All-Star TWICE in 22 years...TWICE! As an avid baseball fan this one really blows my mind.

PUT PETE ROSE IN THE HALL NOW!

WhyGo77 wrote:
    I also can't see how Bert Blyleven is a Hall of Famer...because of longevity? He had some good years, but he only was in the Top 10 of the Cy Young Award vote four times in his 22 years - and never higher than 3rd place. 287 wins and 250 losses. He pitched until he was 41 years old, but that doesn't matter. A guy like Jack Morris was one of the top pitchers of his era (80s and early 90s) and he only gets 53.5% of the vote.

i disagree with you about Bert, 22 years and 287 wins are impressive to me, plus he played for some crappy teams.
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    WhyGo77 wrote:
    Blyleven was an All-Star TWICE in 22 years...TWICE! As an avid baseball fan this one really blows my mind.

I'd say Shoeless Joe first, then Rose.
    WhyGo77 wrote:

Don't pay attention to the cy young or mvp voting (or gold gloves). that stuff is irrelevant. edinson volquez got 10 votes for ROY two years ago. That would have been fine but he wasn't even eligible for the award because he went over the rookie innings cap the previous year.

I have no issue with blyleven getting in. Also, no way Franco should be in the HOF.
    WhyGo77 wrote:

Rose is another guy I never hope gets in. Rose, palmeiro, sosa...blacklist all of them
    Blyleven got in because he pitched for a long time? When I think back to the best pitchers of the 70s and 80s he isn't one of the guys I think of. All-Star appearances (especially for pitchers) is most certainly a good measuring stick. Twice in 22 years...that's not impressive.

John Franco made the All-Star team four times in 21 years. Like I said, most Saves by a lefty in MLB History.

WhyGo77 wrote:

i disagree with you about Bert, 22 years and 287 wins are impressive to me, plus he played for some crappy teams.

5th in career strikeouts and 9th in career shutouts too.
    WhyGo77 wrote:
    Blyleven got in because he pitched for a long time? When I think back to the best pitchers of the 70s and 80s he isn't one of the guys I think of. All-Star appearances (especially for pitchers) is most certainly a good measuring stick. Twice in 22 years...that's not impressive.

John Franco made the All-Star team four times in 21 years. Like I said, most Saves by a lefty in MLB History.

all star game appearances are a good measuring stick? I disagree with that. look at some of the guys that played in the AS game last year...marlon byrd, john buck, etc.

they didn't start counting saves until the 70s right? billy wagner was a much better pitcher than franco. If you're gonna rip blyleven's candidacy for compiling numbers than you can't support franco on the same premise.
    WhyGo77 wrote:

You are trying to say Franco should be in the hall of fame but Blyleven shouldn't? Seriously?
    The Fixer wrote:
    WhyGo77 wrote:

Rose is another guy I never hope gets in. Rose, palmeiro, sosa...blacklist all of them

I am with you on this. Fuck him, he took his punishment. He accepted being banned from the game FOREVER, so thats the way it is.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    WhyGo77 wrote:

You are trying to say Franco should be in the hall of fame but Blyleven shouldn't? Seriously?

yeah, how many LH closers have there been in the last 40 years? 5, 10 maybe?? to say franco is the all time leader in saves by lefties isn't real impressive. It's almost like saying jim abbott is the best one handed pitcher of all time
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    WhyGo77 wrote:

I am with you on this. Fuck him, he took his punishment. He accepted being banned from the game FOREVER, so thats the way it is.

my biggest problem with rose, other than the fact that he epitmizes white trash, is that he lied about his gambling for so long. then when he finally did admit his guilt, it wasn't sincere. It was like he admitted it because he thought that he would be forgiven. I'm glad he isn't in and I hope he never gets in. Maybe after he dies...I'd be fine with that. I just don't want to see him get the satisfaction of being enshrined
    Hold up - the argument is more that Blyleven should not be in. 287 wins is nice...but he lost 250 games. And somebody said that he played on a lot of crappy teams? That is incorrect. I just looked it up - he played on 11 teams that had winning records, 2 teams that had even-steven records and 9 teams that had losing records.

Judging All-Star pitchers is not the same as All-Star position players. The All-Star managers vote on the pitchers.

I want Rose in the Hall, what he did on the field should be the overriding factor.

in my opinion anyway
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    WhyGo77 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

john franco is not a hall of famer and nor will he ever be. the people that voted for him only did so cause they liked him. people with under 65% votes will never ever get in.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Great point...

Here is Bert Blyleven's vote history. Crazy how in recent years they think he IS a HoFamer.

Hall of Fame
    1998 BBWAA (17.5%)
    1999 BBWAA (14.1%)
    2000 BBWAA (17.4%)
    2001 BBWAA (23.5%)
    2002 BBWAA (26.3%)
    2003 BBWAA (29.2%)
    2004 BBWAA (35.4%)
    2005 BBWAA (40.9%)
    2006 BBWAA (53.3%)
    2007 BBWAA (47.7%)
    2008 BBWAA (61.9%)
    2009 BBWAA (62.7%)
    2010 BBWAA (74.2%)
    2011 BBWAA (79.7%)
    Selected to HOF in 2011 by BBWAA

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I want Rose in the Hall, what he did on the field should be the overriding factor.

in my opinion anyway
    when you disgrace the game and screw over the commissioner of mlb and lie for 12 years bout betting on the game, you def don't belong in the HOF

it's a privilege not a right
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

WhyGo77 wrote:
    Great point...

Here is Bert Blyleven's vote history. Crazy how in recent years they think he IS a HoFamer.

Hall of Fame
    1998 BBWAA (17.5%)
    1999 BBWAA (14.1%)
    2000 BBWAA (17.4%)
    2001 BBWAA (23.5%)
    2002 BBWAA (26.3%)
    2003 BBWAA (29.2%)
    2004 BBWAA (35.4%)
    2005 BBWAA (40.9%)
    2006 BBWAA (53.3%)
    2007 BBWAA (47.7%)
    2008 BBWAA (61.9%)
    2009 BBWAA (62.7%)
    2010 BBWAA (74.2%)
    2011 BBWAA (79.7%)
    Selected to HOF in 2011 by BBWAA

Have you ever read Rich Lederer's writing about Blyvelen? His arguments definitely swayed me into thinking he should be in.