Jack Irons Speculation?

Comments

• :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Let me tell you if it does happen I'll be ecstatic. Matt fits very well, and I like him with the band a lot, but Jack was awesome, it would be cool to see him again. Although the reason he left was because he couldn't handle the touring load, and the boys play 30 songs a night :lol: . If it happens, then great and good luck to Matt, but if not, we'll still have a good drummer.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    manutd3581 wrote:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Let me tell you if it does happen I'll be ecstatic. Matt fits very well, and I like him with the band a lot, but Jack was awesome, it would be cool to see him again. Although the reason he left was because he couldn't handle the touring load, and the boys play 30 songs a night :lol: . If it happens, then great and good luck to Matt, but if not, we'll still have a great drummer.
    Fixed.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Jack Jack Jack!
  • I would love the idea of Matt going back to Soundgarden, and Jack coming back to Pearl jam.
    I love Jack's style. Plus, without him, there would be no Pearl Jam today.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    manutd3581 wrote:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Let me tell you if it does happen I'll be ecstatic. Matt fits very well, and I like him with the band a lot, but Jack was awesome, it would be cool to see him again. Although the reason he left was because he couldn't handle the touring load, and the boys play 30 songs a night :lol: . If it happens, then great and good luck to Matt, but if not, we'll still have a good drummer.

Well, the band hasn't really toured since 2006, so this could work out.
  • GS163319GS163319 Posts: 132
    Look, I love the groove Jack Irons and the band hit together, but when will all the drummer speculation stop? Irons starts drumming in public again and he instantly may rejoin PJ? Come on.

Matt IS the drummer. And has been for 60% of the band's time together... Let's stop and give the man a bit more respect than he gets around here.
  • GS163319 wrote:
    Look, I love the groove Jack Irons and the band hit together, but when will all the drummer speculation stop? Irons starts drumming in public again and he instantly may rejoin PJ? Come on.

Matt IS the drummer. And has been for 60% of the band's time together... Let's stop and give the man a bit more respect than he gets around here.
    its fun to pretend :)
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Or back to The Red Hot Chili Peppers?

I don't think there is any question that Jack seems to be the former drummer PJ has remained close to. But, I don't think there is anything that will take Matt Cameron out of his permanent drummer seat with PJ. But, I do love me some Jack Irons! WOuld love to see him at a PJ show and trade off with Matt for a couple songs or something.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i'd love to see this happen
    www.myspace.com
  • Matt Cameron is Pearl Jams drummer. He has been here longer than any drummer.

Irons is great, but Matt makes the decision.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Personally when I think Pearl Jam drummers I think of Matt first and Dave A. second.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    JasonE wrote:
    Personally when I think Pearl Jam drummers I think of Matt first and Dave A. second.

I think of the Jack era! Matt is great as well. He's the best background vocalist the band has ever had.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    The reason Jack left the band in the first place was health reasons. He can't play a whole show/tour with out having issues. I don't think he's gotten better 14 years after the fact.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The reason Jack left the band in the first place was health reasons. He can't play a whole show/tour with out having issues. I don't think he's gotten better 14 years after the fact.

14 years isn't enough time to heal?
    www.myspace.com
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834

14 years isn't enough time to heal?

Well if I remember correctly, and someone on this board may correct me, Jack Irons was diagnosed with bi-polar / mood disorder. You can't heal from that unfortunatly. You can medicate it however, or learn to live with it. Stress is an enormous trigger however...
  • The reason Jack left the band in the first place was health reasons. He can't play a whole show/tour with out having issues. I don't think he's gotten better 14 years after the fact.

Isn't Jack older than most of the guys? I too heard that the tour schedule was too hectic, but considering that PJ doesn't really tour anymore.....

I just got sad when I wrote that, but, it's kinda true.....
  • Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 125
    At this point it doesn't make much sense to me that Matt would leave PJ to go back with Soundgarden.
  • If only, if only....
    Matt is great in Soundgarden, but PJ's drummer to me is Jack Irons, regardless of who's been with them the longest.
    This is not for you...
    Speaking as a child of the nineties
    If only, if only....
    Matt is great in Soundgarden, but PJ's drummer to me is Jack Irons, regardless of who's been with them the longest.
    Matt is also great in Pearl Jam. He is Pearl Jam's drummer, you know. He made it clear that Pearl Jam is his #1 priority as far as bands go.

While Jack is my favorite former PJ drummer too, it is silly to think of him "as" PJ's current drummer considering he was only the main drummer on two of the nine albums the band has released.

It is time for you to accept Matt Cameron as the permanent PJ drummer. He has earned that title.
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    This would make everything right again. The only thing better than Jack Irons replacing Matt would be for Dave A. to do it. Sorry, but Matt is just a boring studio drummer. Irons would fit in with the bands indier sound.

However, the speculation is pretty much just crap so its all a pipe dream at this point.
  • I'm a big fan of the Jack-era stuff, but I think that ship has sailed.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Yield and No Code were great...

Jack was a terrible live drummer though.
  • i dont care if Matt is great or terrible. i just want to see Jack play with Pearl Jam again.
  • It would be cool if PJ does 3 shows at the festival, and on day 2 Matt plays with Soundgarden so Jack plays with PJ. Just for funsake.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    If only, if only....
    Matt is also great in Pearl Jam. He is Pearl Jam's drummer, you know. He made it clear that Pearl Jam is his #1 priority as far as bands go.

While Jack is my favorite former PJ drummer too, it is silly to think of him "as" PJ's current drummer considering he was only the main drummer on two of the nine albums the band has released.

It is time for you to accept Matt Cameron as the permanent PJ drummer. He has earned that title.

I should clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that I see Jack as PJ's current drummer, or that Matt isn't a real band member. I just think Jack fit the band best, and I like the music they made with him the most, so I'd love to see him back, but I don't believe that would ever be a reality, and I didn't mean to suggest that it should be or that Matt is just a "fill-in" and doesn't belong. He's done some great stuff with them too, after all.
    This is not for you...
    Speaking as a child of the nineties
    I should clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that I see Jack as PJ's current drummer, or that Matt isn't a real band member. I just think Jack fit the band best, and I like the music they made with him the most, so I'd love to see him back, but I don't believe that would ever be a reality, and I didn't mean to suggest that it should be or that Matt is just a "fill-in" and doesn't belong. He's done some great stuff with them too, after all.
    I am with ya....No Code and Yield are two of my favorites and that is due to Jack I think. I too wish I could see him play just even a couple of songs with the band again. And, I bet one day it will happen again. They did it in like 2003 in Santa Barbara - same day Temple of the Dog played.

Anyhow, I believe we owe Jack Irons so much credit for Pearl Jam it is not even funny. First off, he found Eddie Vedder. Second, I believe that when he did end up drumming for PJ, that he was a HUGE reason why the band stayed together after Vitalogy. Mike kind of eludes to that in SVT. And, I think it is for those reasons that PJ and Jack Irons will always be friends. Hell, they sell Jack's records right here in the Goods section.

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Jack Irons. Ever read Anthony Keidis' book, Scar Tissue? He talks a lot about the formation of RHCP - about Jack, Hillel, himself, and Flea. When Hillel died, I think Jack took it the worst of any of them. Pearl Jam was lucky to get him in their camp for the couple records he was able to do for them. He is an amazing drummer.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Matty C all day
  • Hmm, if I was Matt Cameron, would I choose:

a. a band who makes a new LP every 3 years or so that will sell about 1/2 million in the US every time
    b. a band that hasn't made a new record since 1996, has no intention of doing so, but might grace us with some old b-sides at some point
    or
    a. a band who usually goes on a couple short tours every year, playing to sold-out arenas around the world
    b. a band who has played a couple of club dates and one festival since 1997

Tough call.

(Having said that, being that my 1st show was 98, I would not mind seeing Jack sit in some time...)