should i be obligated to give 30 days notice?

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
to make a long story short i had moved into this house, the female lease holder started coming on to me but i resisted for a while saying i didn't want to date her and thought it would make things too weird. she insisted she didn't want to date either and repeatedly said things like "i know this isn't a relationship but whatever it is works for me"

we messed around then i tried to break it off saying if she wanted a boyfriend maybe we should stop since i wouldn't date a girl getting nailed by her roommate. she said she is an adult and is capable of making these decisions, when she feels she wants a relationship she will tell me.

eventually that time came as she began to talk about long term things with me. so i finally ended our relations. she flipped out doing a 180 now saying she thought i'd come around eventually.

this was a while ago, she eventually calmed down and she started going out with other guys and getting off my case. things seemed ok until a night i stayed out pretty late with another girl. then she asked me to move out, by this time i had a new job and because of the schedule i rarely had to deal with her.

but i was fine with moving out, after i went out with that girl she started coming up with more and more ridiculous rules for me and only me.

so, i started looking for another place but she refuses to give me a reference, which can make it difficult as most people will want to talk to who you live with now. she is the only one on the lease (the other roommate might have signed a lease but i never did) and she told me she needs 30 days notice for me to move out. i thought that was understandable since she needed time to find another roommate. this made finding another place somewhat difficult as i didn't want to pay rent at two places.

she had told me one of her best friends is coming down the beginning of january....i find out today he is actually moving in!!!!! so, since she already has another roommate already in line and i never signed a lease and she wants me out as soon as i find a place (meaning i'd be paying her for january knowing i'd probably be moved out most of the month) i don't feel that i'm obligated to give her 30 days notice or pay for 30 days.

she already does shady shit to pay less rent than anyone else despite her having an entire floor to herself so i didn't feel i was obligated then but now with her friend moving in in a few days i definitely don't feel i have to pay her since she's getting money from him.
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    dude, if you're not on the lease you should be golden. just roll out in the middle of the night and never talk to her again
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If you didn't sign a lease or contract, you don't owe any notice. Just pay for the true percentage of days you plan on staying and run like hell.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I would think if you haven't signed any rent agreement you could leave but rental laws may be different where you are ... and it will be a problem getting another rental without references

Moral of the story ... Men! Don't mix bizness with leather with unbalanced girls
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Yeah it does depend on the laws in your area. You should be responsible for the days you do occupy the space in January and would honor that if I were you. And I would also document anything that occurs at the location - any demands she puts on you etc. Just for your sake, in case your ass ends up in small claims court.
  • propro Posts: 134
    No contract was signed... U don't owe her 30 days..... and she can throw U out anytime... U don't owe any money for the 30 days notice... just the days that U have lived so far. It seems like rejection has made her angry towards U. If that was me, I would had charged her for the use of my sexual organ like a discount from the rent in the first place :D
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Just leave when she isn't around, that's what a roommate and I did when our landlord who didn't care that a crackhead fell asleep with a lit cigarette on a mattress on the first floor and nearly burned the building down.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    yeah, it certainly is hard to get a place without a reference!

i guess i misspoke, she will give me a reference, just a very shitty one. i asked if she could just say i pay my bills and rent on time but since we had a relationship she shouldn't really comment on anything else but she won't do it.

i asked a female friend if she would say we lived together and be my reference and she said she will do it.

i looked at a place yesterday, it was perfect - walking distance to downtown, markets, music venues....the guy really liked me and said i had his thumbs up but still need to meet the other people living there, the only problem is they want someone to move in right away. at first i was willing to pay rent both here and there because it was such a perfect place but when she told me this friend is MOVING IN i shouldn't have to give her any notice or money
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

pro wrote:
    No contract was signed... U don't owe her 30 days..... and she can throw U out anytime... U don't owe any money for the 30 days notice... just the days that U have lived so far. It seems like rejection has made her angry towards U. If that was me, I would had charged her for the use of my sexual organ like a discount from the rent in the first place :D

That is not true, even if his name is not on the lease, if he has resided there for a certain period of time, he has some rights as a resident, she can not just kick his butt out with no notice. It all depends on the laws in the area in which you live.
    pro wrote:

That is not true, even if his name is not on the lease, if he has resided there for a certain period of time, he has some rights as a resident, she can not just kick his butt out with no notice. It all depends on the laws in the area in which you live.

yeah, last week she tried to 'evict' me for smoking pot! she knew i smoked before i moved in, then she said i could smoke anywhere, then after i broke it off only downstairs, then only in my room, then only outside to now she doesn't want anything in the house, i'm supposed to keep everything in my car. when i questioned this she said if i'm not willing to take the consequences for it then maybe i should quit.....i had given my guy a ride home and he said he'd throw some in extra for the ride...i couldn't find my scale so i left it in the bag, which she found...

the annoying thing is her best friend moving in smokes a lot more than i do so i'm positive she will ask me to get him high when he comes.
    don't compete; coexist

On man ... run like hell ... I wouldn't be asking her for anything
    It has happened to People (with no contract) that were thrown out . Resident Rights are there.... so are Lease Holder Rights too..... so it's this versus that. I agree with U - It all depends on the laws in the area :)

pro wrote:

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    yeah, it certainly is hard to get a place without a reference!

i guess i misspoke, she will give me a reference, just a very shitty one. i asked if she could just say i pay my bills and rent on time but since we had a relationship she shouldn't really comment on anything else but she won't do it.

i asked a female friend if she would say we lived together and be my reference and she said she will do it.

i looked at a place yesterday, it was perfect - walking distance to downtown, markets, music venues....the guy really liked me and said i had his thumbs up but still need to meet the other people living there, the only problem is they want someone to move in right away. at first i was willing to pay rent both here and there because it was such a perfect place but when she told me this friend is MOVING IN i shouldn't have to give her any notice or money

How about telling your new potential landlord that your current living situation is with a woman you were romantically involved with, it ended badly, and now you're moving out. as a result of that. Tell them she's the reference, but considering the circumstances, you expect that she would not provide a fair account of your habitation together.

Offer him either a work reference or a couple of personal references. I'm sure that would be an acceptable alternative.

GET OUT OF THE OLD PLACE before she can go all crazy on your ass.

You don't have a lease. Just leave, settling up for whatever days you're there.

Let her try to take you to Small Claims Court. If she threatens that, say that such a move on her part would result in you having to share intimate details of your relationship in a courtroom. And that you would be fully prepared to do so if need be.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    well that negates everything, if you are breaking the law (smoking pot) if she calls the cops, they potentially could tell you to get out immediately.

if you have a place you can move into right away, I wouldn't worry about giving her any notice especially as you said, she already has another room mate. I would try to get that in witing in some sort of email though - just to cover your ass.
    U have made your case weaker. Agree with her 30 days notice and move on. It's better to do that than to have a criminal record of smoking pot only if she phones the police about your activities. It will be worth it in the long run.
    yeah, last week she tried to 'evict' me for smoking pot! she knew i smoked before i moved in, then she said i could smoke anywhere, then after i broke it off only downstairs, then only in my room, then only outside to now she doesn't want anything in the house, i'm supposed to keep everything in my car. when i questioned this she said if i'm not willing to take the consequences for it then maybe i should quit.....i had given my guy a ride home and he said he'd throw some in extra for the ride...i couldn't find my scale so i left it in the bag, which she found...

the annoying thing is her best friend moving in smokes a lot more than i do so i'm positive she will ask me to get him high when he comes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggfSn_WzjiY

How do you lock the terror out when you've already invited it in?
    :o
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    while i think that since you've been paying your share of the rent, that constitutes an oral agreement, whether or not you signed anything, i would still treat it as a boyfriend/girlfriend kind of thing, and if the "girlfriend" gets angry and wants to throw you out, GO! man,don't stick around there. she sounds a bit off. SAVE all emails, notes, etc., in case she comes up with something in small claims court out of spite. Sounds like you're much better off getting your own place.

As far as her not giving you a reference, it is OK to say to a prospective landlord that you have left a relationship that didn't work out. They should understand that it will be difficult to get a reference. Don't elaborate on your story though, first off its none of their business, secondly, she might scare of a prospective landlord who might otherwise have taken you as a tenant.

Good luck dude. This time get all male roommates! :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    StillHere wrote:
    that constitutes an oral agreement

:lol: Maybe he didn't hear that agreement
    stargirl69 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

must. resist. temptation. to. make. naughty. pun.
    stargirl69 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

Oh go on :lol:
    well that negates everything, if you are breaking the law (smoking pot) if she calls the cops, they potentially could tell you to get out immediately.

if you have a place you can move into right away, I wouldn't worry about giving her any notice especially as you said, she already has another room mate. I would try to get that in witing in some sort of email though - just to cover your ass.

yes but then i wouldn't be obligated to pay for 30 days, right? i'm more than happy to get out, i just don't feel i should have to pay her for 30 days if i'm not going to be here
    don't compete; coexist

yes but then i wouldn't be obligated to pay for 30 days, right? i'm more than happy to get out, i just don't feel i should have to pay her for 30 days if i'm not going to be here

no I wouldn't think so, especially if you have it in writing that she has a new room mate coming in January - that why I stessed trying to get it in an email or a text - she has no right to collect from two tenants, especially if you are not living there.
    i'm still not entirely clear on how my smoking pot negates or weakens whether or not i have to give 30 days notice??

from what i understand that is not a law and with me not signing a lease or anything if anything it would be out of courtesy. but since she is having someone else move in i should, at the very least, have my rent go down
    don't compete; coexist

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Did you give her a security deposit (no pun/innuendo intended) when you moved in?
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Did you give her a security deposit (no pun/innuendo intended) when you moved in?

Yet still I'm giggling...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    do we have pics to help us make an informed decision?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    stargirl69 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    stargirl69 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

:mrgreen::lol::lol: :twisted:
    peace,
    jo

i don't think that her saying you smoke pot has any bearing on this.
    judges hear all sorts of accusations between lovers gone bad, and take each with a grain of salt.
    unless she has pictures of you doing the deed, and even if she does, who's to say there was anything illegal going on in pictures. can't test the film. i'd say no worries on that front. just get the hell outta dodge, dude.
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    i don't think that her saying you smoke pot has any bearing on this.
    judges hear all sorts of accusations between lovers gone bad, and take each with a grain of salt.
    unless she has pictures of you doing the deed, and even if she does, who's to say there was anything illegal going on in pictures. can't test the film. i'd say no worries on that front. just get the hell outta dodge, dude.

she's not gonna go to court or if she did i seriously doubt she'd mention it because she is a guardian ad lightem or whatever so she wouldn't want all that bad stuff coming out, especially since i can say i've seen her smoke pot, take mushrooms, she had me buy pot for her friend once, whenever she has a friend visit she asks me to get them high.....and when i moved in there were 2 other roommates and they did far more drugs than my pot smoking. one even sold it!

and no, i never gave her a security deposit.
    don't compete; coexist

• If she calls the cops about the weed, you hire a lawyer about sexual harrassment. Although you ended up both agreeing to hook up, do you feel she is tossing you because you wont bang her or date her? I'd throw that at her pot claims to shut her up...btw, is she hot?I would also let the guy moving in she is nuts