Options

Gitmo still open....does anybody care...?

know1know1 Posts: 6,763
edited January 2011 in A Moving Train
Apparently it's a non-issue since Obama is the President, but it was a horrible tragedy under Bush.

Heard today that Obama said there are just too many legal and political issues to just shut the doors quickly...although he's had quite awhile now.

I don't think that answer was acceptable under Bush.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    is gitmo filled with criminals ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Not ALL were criminals while jailed there.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

some but it is filled with people who never had a trial

and to answer your question - no, it won't matter to his base just like all their crying about blue dog democrats need to be voted out (except for obama, he's a blue dog they all love and are too scared to vote against)
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    well, since the economy is in the tank, and Health care became a giant debate monster, gitmo has gone on the back burner...I don't think it is a bush/obama thing, almost no human being cares about much else when their feeling of security is lost. I am not talking about security from "terrorists" I am talking about a job, a home, and food on the table.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Make sure Obama gets nothing done and then criticize him when he gets nothing done, typical.

Would you really care if he did close Gitmo? You, or those like you went on and on about how it was a major security collapse to close Gitmo, "Lawdy lawdy, where are all the terrorists gonna go"? Now it's "Why is it still open"? OH THE HUMANITY!!

I am the first one to say Obama has compromised where he hasn't had to and is a borderline corporate schill, but I say that as a critical supporter not because I take glee in it.

So, to your question. I think the collapse of the American financial system, making sure that your life is not over if you get sick, and making sure the wealthy don't get more than they deserve are more pressing issues.
  • Options
    breath123 wrote:
    Make sure Obama gets nothing done and then criticize him when he gets nothing done, typical.

Would you really care if he did close Gitmo? You, or those like you went on and on about how it was a major security collapse to close Gitmo, "Lawdy lawdy, where are all the terrorists gonna go"? Now it's "Why is it still open"? OH THE HUMANITY!!

I am the first one to say Obama has compromised where he hasn't had to and is a borderline corporate schill, but I say that as a critical supporter not because I take glee in it.

So, to your question. I think the collapse of the American financial system, making sure that your life is not over if you get sick, and making sure the wealthy don't get more than they deserve are more pressing issues.

You'll take offense, but that is a bunch of BS and you know it.

Are you saying that the people Obama should have working on closing Gitmo are too busy working on healthcare and the economy? Hmm...I would have thought it would be a different set of people.

Also, I'm sure nobody would buy the "there are more important things to do argument" when Bush was around.

Personally I disliked Bush and I dislike Obama about the same. Just pointing out how things that used to seem so important apparently aren't so much now that there's a different leader.

• Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    well, since the economy is in the tank, and Health care became a giant debate monster, gitmo has gone on the back burner...I don't think it is a bush/obama thing, almost no human being cares about much else when their feeling of security is lost. I am not talking about security from "terrorists" I am talking about a job, a home, and food on the table.

Does he only have 3 people to work on these things? I can't imagine those who would be working on closing Gitmo would really be all that involved in health INSURANCE reform or the economy.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    breath123 wrote:

Would you really care if he did close Gitmo?

I would. But then again I also want every troop in the world home. The only thing I approve is the active hunting and extermination of Al-Qaeda and their ilk.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    know1 wrote:
    Apparently it's a non-issue since Obama is the President, but it was a horrible tragedy under Bush.

Heard today that Obama said there are just too many legal and political issues to just shut the doors quickly...although he's had quite awhile now.

I don't think that answer was acceptable under Bush.

and your solution is....?
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I do think it's funny how things that were a big deal when Bush were in office, are just kind of swept under the rug now. Oil is another big one. When oil prices skyrocketed under Bush it was because he was a friend to "big oil". Now it's been steadily creeping up in price again, just around $92 a barrel today, and gas is up to about $3 a gallon, yet there's no mention of this here.
  • Options
    No.

Gitmo is a "horrible tragedy"? gimme a break.

Next thread.....
  • Options
    No.

Next thread.....

I agree,screw em !let them rot there.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-10/just ... s=PM:CRIME

even if.. at a half truth to this article these people have zero rights in my opinion.

Godfather.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    Shawshank wrote:
    I do think it's funny how things that were a big deal when Bush were in office, are just kind of swept under the rug now. Oil is another big one. When oil prices skyrocketed under Bush it was because he was a friend to "big oil". Now it's been steadily creeping up in price again, just around $92 a barrel today, and gas is up to about $3 a gallon, yet there's no mention of this here.

perhaps you can start a thread about it gas prices...
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    know1 wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:

Does he only have 3 people to work on these things? I can't imagine those who would be working on closing Gitmo would really be all that involved in health INSURANCE reform or the economy.

no, there aren't simply 3 people...
    however, things get put on top of the pile when there is a lot of screaming. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am not saying it is right, but more answering the question of if anyone cares...my answer is no. Public outcry has quickly shrank and that is more a sign of what is happening and people seeing other things as bigger problems.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    No.

Next thread.....

even if.. at a half truth to this article these people have zero rights in my opinion.

Godfather.
    or how about giving them a fair trial and use direct, conclusive evidence to get a conviction? if evidence exists (without resorting to torture), give people a fair trial, and if convicted, then sentence them to max security prisons. don't keep people imprisoned for years without charging them or granting them access to any sort of legal counsel. no one has any right to detain someone for years without charges or a fair trial. If there is no evidence, or if they are found innocent, set them free.

oh and don't try and offload them to other countries like you have already tried to do. clean up your own mess.

shouldn't be that hard should it?
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Godfather. wrote:
    No.

Next thread.....

Godfather.
    or how about giving them a fair trial and use direct, conclusive evidence to get a conviction? if evidence exists (without resorting to torture), give people a fair trial, and if convicted, then sentence them to max security prisons. don't keep people imprisoned for years without charging them or granting them access to any sort of legal counsel. no one has any right to detain someone for years without charges or a fair trial. If there is no evidence, or if they are found innocent, set them free.

oh and don't try and offload them to other countries like you have already tried to do. clean up your own mess.

exactly.

how can you tell if they are guilty or not?

trials exist for a reason. if you support holding people without trial you might as well support giving police officers judicial powers. if you've ever had a run in with the police, even a simple speeding ticket, you can see why that might be a bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY_A1500sI4
  • Options
    well there are some in there that say it was a great day and all the people killed on 9-11 was a good thing so if it were up to me those a-holes would be dead and cremated and flushed down the city sewer system with the rest of the shit.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    No.

Next thread.....

Godfather.

Why do say "You", as if I did it? I'll assume you're a non-American Star Wars fan. If it was up to me they wouldn't be released anywhere, b/c they would have never been in Gitmo to begin with.
    They'd be interrogated (hopefully waterboarded) when found, then executed and disposed of.
    Prisoners? Lawyers? Trials? Why is that liberals think every problem on Earth, even wars, can be solved by a lawyer?
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Godfather. wrote:
    well there are some in there that say it was a great day and all the people killed on 9-11 was a good thing so if it were up to me those a-holes would be dead and cremated and flushed down the city sewer system with the rest of the shit.

Godfather.

if it is clear that you understand your own hatred of innocent american people being attacked by others

can you understand their hatred of innocent people being attacked by the u.s.?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    ed243421 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

if it is clear that you understand your own hatred of innocent American people being attacked by others

what are you saying g ?...we had it (9-11) coming ? you or anybody else don't know enough to make a statement like that, and whats up with all the anti U.S talk you post frequently ? you make it sound that the U.S is always the instigator of every conflict we have.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    ed243421 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

if it is clear that you understand your own hatred of innocent American people being attacked by others

what are you saying g ?...we had it (9-11) coming ? you or anybody else don't know enough to make a statement like that, and whats up with all the anti U.S talk you post frequently ? you make it sound that the U.S is always the instigator of every conflict we have.

Godfather.

innocent people should never have that coming
    cheney, bush sr., rumsfeld and all of the other masters of war should have suffered that attack

and the anti-u.s. talk
    i do not support any u.s. military action against innocent civilians
    i do not support this corrupt government
    i do not support placing more value on money than on health, education, or fighting hunger
    what do you support?

and which war is it that we have not instigated?

would you like to answer this
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    How do you support paying for all that free stuff: health care, education, food, security?
  • Options
    g your question is one sided, and as far as Bush cheny and the others go, as I said you really don't know what Bush did or didn't do before 9-11

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

and what should happen to all the americans who say things like we should just turn the region into a glass parking lot and cheer all the deaths, innocent or otherwise, over in iraq and afghanistan?
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    g your question is one sided, and as far as Bush cheny and the others go, as I said you really don't know what Bush did or didn't do before 9-11

Godfather.

i think the point of my question
    that you find "one-sided"
    is to show there are two sides
    to your one-sided point

ironic
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options

Why do say "You", as if I did it? I'll assume you're a non-American Star Wars fan. If it was up to me they wouldn't be released anywhere, b/c they would have never been in Gitmo to begin with.
    They'd be interrogated (hopefully waterboarded) when found, then executed and disposed of.
    Prisoners? Lawyers? Trials? Why is that liberals think every problem on Earth, even wars, can be solved by a lawyer?

maybe we should get rid of trials and lawyers for everyone then? if yo give someone too much power eventually it will be abused and then the abuse become commonplace. to give the government the power to just snatch anyone up and say 'they are a terrorist, trust us!' never to be seen again is just pure fucking stupidity
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

and what should happen to all the americans who say things like we should just turn the region into a glass parking lot and cheer all the deaths, innocent or otherwise, over in iraq and afghanistan?

Good idea. If we nuked it, all that sand would heat up, turn to glass, and it would be so beautiful from space.

Then all the troops could come home...
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

and what should happen to all the Americans who say things like we should just turn the region into a glass parking lot and cheer all the deaths, innocent or otherwise, over in iraq and afghanistan?

why would you listen to them ?
    if you guys want to find a reason to justify the actions of the people responsible for 9-11 go ahead,maybe next time these nuts go to Europe or here in the states and try to blow up a embassy or another building maybe one of you just might be in it and if you survive you can send them a thank you card for their effort. :?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

and what should happen to all the Americans who say things like we should just turn the region into a glass parking lot and cheer all the deaths, innocent or otherwise, over in iraq and afghanistan?

why would you listen to them ?
    if you guys want to find a reason to justify the actions of the people responsible for 9-11 go ahead,maybe next time these nuts go to Europe or here in the states and try to blow up a embassy or another building maybe one of you just might be in it and if you survive you can send them a thank you card for their effort. :?

Godfather.

fucking a, can't you ever answer a question without deflecting it and making an excuse why it shouldn't be answered?

if you think it's wrong for them to cheer the killing of innocent americans you should think it's wrong when americans cheer the killing of their innocent people.
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    EZ pepe.....you and g ask questions that you know/think will only get you answers to strengthen you statement
    and I'm not playin, you guys are always calling the US on dirt but nobody else and to be honest with you I can't understand why you both live in America the way you talk about it, bet ya enjoy the benefits of being an American ;) .

Godfather.
This discussion has been closed.