This is awful! These are my neighbors...that was Boomer!

pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/lo ... emailshare
We are in a state of shock here. Boomer was so friendly and sweet. Played with all the kids in the neighborhood.
He has not a mean bone in his body. This cop was in the wrong and should be punished. I still can not believe this happened. He was always there in the yard to wave to as we came and went from the neighborhood. Everyone knew him. Poor sweet Boomer. :cry:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Bang bang

Hi i am a cop, how can i help
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I hate stories like this :(
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Thats pretty shitty!
    Paul D.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Something similar happened where I used to live up in BC, they raided a "drug house" during a kids birthday party and shot the family's dog.
  • RIP Boomer

what an awful thing, complete misunderstanding
    i feel bad for the family :(
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Oh, Pandora, how awful. I am so sorry. Poor Boomer... the only tiny comfort was that it was probably fast for him.

I'm sick just thinking about it. And that if anyone other than me "ordered" my dogs to stop they wouldn't have a clue and would keep coming, tails wagging furiously. That's probably exactly what Boomer was doing.

I'm sorry, Pandora. When you talk with your neighbors, tell them that Boomer is mourned from afar.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • That's really sad. Don't most dogs bark when they don't know someone? Mine do, and they're as big as golden retrievers. I'd be devastated. I feel bad for your neighbours.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    So Sorry Pandora
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i have been around many golden retrievers and not one time were any of them vicious, and not one single time did i ever feel my life was in danger. what a terrible event.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I am in awe reading this.. I've worked with so many dogs but have never come acrossed a "mean" Golden, they're such mellow dogs.. I'm so sorry to hear this, and even sorrier to know that you and your family are affected too, having known the dog..I just am astounded..and don't know what to say. Pepper spray maybe but shooting him?!!?
  • As an owner of 2 Golden Retrievers myself I cannot imagine the dog went after the cop

Our male barks a lot when hes in the yard at stuff passing by but as soon as he gets near people he licks them to death...the phuckin cop couldnt have used pepper spray or a night stick to just fend the dog off ?? He had to shoot the damn thing. It's obvious the dog was a family pet sitting on the owners front porch of course he's gonna bark and possibly come at a stranger.

:roll:

I will say the owners should have had the dog on a leash or a leader from the front door to keep him close to the house. I do think it was excessive force though by the cop

RIP Boomer
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Thank you for all your kind words I will let the family know.
    There is an outpouring of support for Boomer and his family.

In the video it mentions the family has an eyewitness who said Boomer only had a chance to bark twice before the officer shot him, they were shocked how quickly it happened!
    The house has the invisible fence and Boom always stayed right there on the front lawn. He didn't roam. The kids would come play with him. He was kind of the neighborhood mascot being the first house coming and going. We have all watched him grow into the lovely, friendly dog he was.

The Clayton County police department released the statement yesterday
    "We are sorry for this unfortunate incident."
    Unfortunate incident unfrickinbelievable!
    this is like salt in the family's wounds, they have 6 children and grandchildren.
    It is days before Christmas. Boomer was one of the family and until the world starts to realize this, pets will not have the value or the rights they deserve.

I looked to see where I could write to give this story the media attention it deserves. When I googled this, my local law enforcement came up as to where to report animal cruelty, right!
    I guess I'll start there!
  • This has actually happened a couple times around DC,
    http://www.wbaltv.com/r/24530406/detail.html
    and another that tells more of the story
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Heights,_Maryland_mayor's_residence_drug_raid

Crazy what police cane get away with.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280

Crazy what police cane get away with.

True.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjq7Uua ... re=related
    At least this guy is going to go to jail (maybe...). He was sentenced to 10 years, but the judge gave him some kind of bond where if his family can post $100,000, he will be released from jail through his appeal.
    Also never showed any kind of remorse or apologized to the guy he paralyzed.
    Some of these guys are real class acts.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    oh man...that was really your dog??? so sorry. wow that is awful pandora...
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    oh man...that was really your dog??? so sorry. wow that is awful pandora...

post title says neighbours ...

in any case - this is the result of poor training on the part of the police office ... how did she become a captain? ... is there any followup? ... an apology from the chief of police?
  • I am so sorry to hear this... My dogs will bark at anything that moves and then they move in for the .... licks. I would not know what to do if this happened at my house... I might have wound up in jail...

I hope everyone is ok and that they can overcome this...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I am so sorry to hear this... My dogs will bark at anything that moves and then they move in for the .... licks. I would not know what to do if this happened at my house... I might have wound up in jail...

I hear that. I'm sure I would have regretted my reaction.

Hell, just yesterday, while standing in the kitchen, my cat ran up to our glass back door all terrified, scratching at the pane, and then as if realizing he didn't have enough time, sprinted into the back yard like something was hot on his heels. I was instantly out the back door thinking something is about to get kicked right in the face for fucking with my cat... it's the UPS guy and I almost run right into him. I must have looked pissed because he backpeddled a step and mumbled an apology for scaring my cat. I felt like an ass and tried to reassure him that it was no problem. Still, for a moment, even the thought of someone/something messing with my pet... grrrrrrrr.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    Commissioner Bell ex police chief lives in our neighborhood
    a couple emails I just sent in time for a regular board meeting tonight

Clayton County Board of Commissioners
    City of Jonesboro Council

Our neighborhood mascot, a loving, friendly Golden retriever was murdered this past weekend
    in his yard, at his home, in North Shore subdivision.
    Shot dead on his front lawn by a Clayton County police officer.

This is an outrage to residents of our neighborhood, across this county and has touched many across the country.

This murder was called an unfortunate incident by local law enforcement. This is a death in a family!

Until those who protect our families understand that our pets are apart of the family, our pets will not have the value or respect they deserve.

There are many children grieving for their loving dog at Christmastime, this something that should not have happened.
    Boomer was not a danger and could have been handled with much less force.

The officer used unnecessary force and lack of good judgement.

North Shore is an upper middle class neighborhood on Lake Spivey.
    It is not 'the hood' with unwanted, unloved dogs roaming that could present a danger to an officer.
    Our officers should have good common sense and not be afraid of family pets and use non lethal means when a situation arises at someones home. This was Boomers home!

It is my hope, along with many, that the officer is punished but more important all officers are educated so this can not happen again.

It is through knowledge that change will come.

Boomer's death will not be in vain nor all the tears that have been shed for this precious, beautiful animal.

Please, as representatives for us..... bring a change of policy when a life is at stake.

Pandora Thompson

I hope this helps, I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around how this could happen.
    We have 3 beloved dogs here and more who come on a regular basis and they all spend most days in the yard.
    Something has to change here with law enforcement. This just makes me sick for all the saddest.
    Pandora, that is very well written and articulates the horror of this situation and valid concerns for everyone's safety.

I would have ended up being shot myself if someone did that to one of my dogs. I've built my whole life around them and can't even begin to imagine what it would be like going through this.

Imagine those children, having to explain to them what happened. How will they ever trust in those who are supposed to protect us?

Is there any kind of fund or anything set up for the family? Or a way to send condolences so they can know how many people have been touched by this sad story, and wish them peace?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Just now reading about this horrible incident. My thoughts go out to Boomer and his poor family. I still cant believe that a law enforcement officer would shoot at a Golden Retreiver in a fenced yard. Unbeleiveable. I hope that your letter gets the attention that it deserves.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    :shock: :cry:

You'll be missed Boomer.

What a catastrophe. I've worked in a boarding facility and met many a Golden, even Gracie from the doggie thread. Every single one of them has been an absolute sweetheart.

I understand the fear of a strange dog running at you, but I doubt that Boomer was acting aggressive in any way. Complete lack of good judgment and common sense like you said Pandora, this is really a preventable tragedy. I'm sorry for the loss that's affecting you and your neighborhood.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    thank you everyone for the kind words...I'm praying this brings change.

I don't know yet of a fund or any contact address set up. I first learned of this yesterday when the news crews were here doing this next piece I will post now

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/26194236/detail.html

Unlost.... I feel the same, as do my children. Our dogs too have been our world.
    My daughter knows Boomer the best out of our family members, as she has held him in her arms and just recently too. She is taking it very hard, she is angry!
    If anything like this happened to one of her 3 I'm afraid she wouldn't even want to go on. They are her babies, her family, her best friends.
    Our neighborhood will not be the same without Boomer. He was a treasure. He was what is good in life and he always brought a guaranteed smile, in a world where it can be hard to find one. He will be so very much missed.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    "Daniel says the officer ordered the dog to stop and when it didn't, the officer shot and killed the animal."

Sounds like one dangerous cop. A dreadful story. The olden golden retriever I've known was likely to lick you to death.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    A golden retriever? Is there another species that is less prone to attacking someone?

I can understand if a german shepard or boxer charged him at a full sprint, but what threat does a golden retriever pose?
    The more I hear about this, the angrier I am.

Boomer was a gorgeous dog. Looks like a complete love, and as he was a hunting companion, he clearly was well-trained for off-leash work and very bonded to people _ that's what the retrievers are. Especially those who actually hunt. And the Goldens are the softest of all of the retrievers. It would be startlingly out of character for a hunting Golden like this to have approached a person viciously.

Helpful things moving foward, in addition of course to severe discipline or firing of the officer involved, would be mandatory education for officers in deescalating and managing approaching dogs _ perhaps in a course run by the local humane society or animal control officers. Also a protocol for exactly how officers are to manage these situations, such as an algorithm guiding them to the best actions (i.e. approaching dog barking at you, back off and get into your cruiser and call for help, versus dog attacking a human, in which case force could be indicated).

And honest to God I am the least likely person to suggest litigation, but in this case boy I'd be considering it.
  • This is so sad. I'm sorry to hear about this pandora.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • I am so sorry to hear this... My dogs will bark at anything that moves and then they move in for the .... licks. I would not know what to do if this happened at my house... I might have wound up in jail...

I hope everyone is ok and that they can overcome this...

Yeah...I can't imagine this happening to one of my 2 Goldens

I'm always paranoid when they bark anyway that someone will try and do something to one of them

I put a lock on my gate but you can easily jump over the fence
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... say someone intending to harm your family comes onto your property ... is the dog supposed to stop when that person orders it? ... sometimes i wonder if people really are that stupid ... as if a dog is supposed to know that's a police officer ...

the only thing sadder than this event is the people making excuses for a poorly trained officer who i hope is not actually a captain ...