Caffeine and anxiety attacks

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Has caffeine ever caused an anxiety attack on you?

I haven't had caffeine in years. I don't drink coffee and I gave up pop ten years ago.

So tonight I was on a date with this girl and she wanted to get coffee. I thought, what the heck.

Being a moderate frequent alcohol drinker, with no alcohol tonight and a cup of coffee, my heart started racing and I started to wig out and then crashed! Nothing crazy, but I had the shakes, couldn't concentrate and an hour or two later felt hung over.

Me and caffeine DO NOT MIX! Am I alone on this?

Here I am trying to be romantic with this girl, only acting like a crack head! :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Probably not.

Caffeine is my friend.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • no, you are not alone at all. at the height of my anxiety issue 6 months ago I had to quit caffeine temporarily and completely. now that I'm medicated, I can drink it again.

any stimulant can and will cause anxiety to rear its ugly head.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Paul David wrote:
    no, you are not alone at all. at the height of my anxiety issue 6 months ago I had to quit caffeine temporarily and completely. now that I'm medicated, I can drink it again.

any stimulant can and will cause anxiety to rear its ugly head.
    I went to see the movie The Fighter tonight, and could barely follow the storyline. That's how bad it was. I am normally a little high strung, but caffeine made me ridiculous!
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Well, I guess you aren't getting her coffee for Christmas? But if you do, are you going to tell her you don't drink it?

I don't drink coffee, I tried a couple times and just crashed, no anxiety. Plus I have a heart condition, don't need a stimulant like that.
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Well, I guess you aren't getting her coffee for Christmas? But if you do, are you going to tell her you don't drink it?

I don't drink coffee, I tried a couple times and just crashed, no anxiety. Plus I have a heart condition, don't need a stimulant like that.
    Ha! I'll get her coffee. I like the taste of it, but I'm just staying the hell away. lol.
    Can always try decaf.
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Can always try decaf.
    Caffeine should be outlawed above anything else. I think it had more harm on me than any other drug I've tried.

I'm medicating my caffeine hangover with alcohol now. How sad is that?
    Sounds good to me!

Like Tommy Chong said on a record (where his character was in court.) "Hey look, your honor man, I don't need no pot man, and I don't need no acid man, cuz I'm hooked on downers man.."
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I drink coffee on a daily basis and always wonder how much harm am I actually doing. I can go without coffee in the morning, but I often find myself thinking about it when I do...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my aunt refers to decaf as anti freeze.

i read that decaf is a stimulant too.

I believe you had a caffeine rush. I think anyone would who had not had coffee lately. Combined with the fact you don't know what to get her for Christmas and had you met your future mother in law YET? :lol:
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i get anxiety attacks without caffeine
    :lol:

need at least 2 cups a day otherwise i go crazy
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    two things going on. the frequent drinker leads to your nervous system being depressed. than you do a 180 and toss on caffeine which excited the nervous stystem. BAM you are get all crazy. now do it with sugar next time. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I go the decaff route. If I've been out for meal and round it off with a caffeine coffee or two, I get into bed and my heart pounds. Often if I have caffeine, I can't sleep, I get all twitchy, I feel wired and I am generally a little odd.

Love coffee, still have it now and again as a treat, but generally stick with decaff to protect my sanity :D
    81 wrote:
    two things going on. the frequent drinker leads to your nervous system being depressed. than you do a 180 and toss on caffeine which excited the nervous stystem. BAM you are get all crazy. now do it with sugar next time. :lol:
    I could not relax for the life of me. Here I am putting my twitching arm around her in the movie theater. lol. I felt like getting up and running a marathon. It was embarassing.. And now today I'm meeting the family on no sleep. God help me. :lol:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    Can always try decaf.
    Caffeine should be outlawed above anything else. I think it had more harm on me than any other drug I've tried.

I'm medicating my caffeine hangover with alcohol now. How sad is that?
    back in the 80's and early to mid 90's
    crank would have physically blasted you apart
    and sent you twirling and twitching full throttle
    into a different atmosphere

alcohol to medicate a caffeine hangover? never heard of that.
    good luck with your "normally little high strung" self. = this made me laugh and think of something i saw several years ago.

my brother Ryan's g/fs mother could not drink coffee and she wouldn't due to her high strung nature and coffee making her more insane with her high strung-ness...

i sat in my car, in her driveway, and watched her jog around her car
    was the funniest thing i had ever saw in my life
    she flat out got out of her car and ran around the car a few times then finally stopped and opened the trunk of the car :crazy:

im like... wow
    that is one jacked up broad
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Caffine and then shortly after Lorazapam...works for me.

OR

Decaf coffee...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I am very much a caffeine addict.

Things generally don't go well without it. hahaha!
  • Never thought you'd habit...
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    lol @ MFR

I never drink it at work cause it does cause anxiety.

Changed to desk and can't move around, makes me really anxious, not good
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    lol @ MFR

I never drink it at work cause it does cause anxiety.

Changed to desk and can't move around, makes me really anxious, not good

I have just the opposite problem. If I'm just sitting at my desk, my brain goes into sleep mode without caffiene and I get nothing done.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • LMAO ok let me just say I'm laughing my ass off at myself..he he I don't need a freaking THING to wig me out, just a room full of people, and the anxiety is ON.. It's so bad that the doctors give me Seroquel, and if any of you know anything about this Chemical compound, Quentepeline is a horse tranquilizer. ( I used to give it to MY horses when shipping them out for circuit shows). Seroquel Is MICRO-grammed down to a degree in which humans can take it.. IIIIIIII take Seroquel 100 Mg at a time, six to seven times daily, just to get through work and social interaction.then when I get home it takes 400mg to make sure I sleep through the night, but it doesn't always work. So feel lucky peeps you could be ME!! As for Caffeine, I CANNOT take it. I have to drink caffeine free everything it simply intriplicates the anxiety. Which also means I can't do stimulants, or anti-depressants.. lmao, only things that bring me down..oh well, I might as well go back to doing Heroin!!lmao just kidding.. glad that part's over, but none the less..
    And the funniest part.. is I give some of my friends JUST 25 mgs of Seroquel and they're OUT for the day.. meanwhile, I consume more Seroquel than is most often fathomed, 1200mgs a day usually, some days more, and 25 knocks everyone else out.. It makes me laugh..
  • I never ever drank coffee regularly until last year when we had our second child. NOW....I cant go to work with out it..and if I don't have it then later that day I get a harsh head ache. I only have a small from Dunkin Donuts (WORLDS BEST COFFEE BTW) and I always resist the donut except for one day a week. ;)
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    LMAO ok let me just say I'm laughing my ass off at myself..he he I don't need a freaking THING to wig me out, just a room full of people, and the anxiety is ON.. It's so bad that the doctors give me Seroquel, and if any of you know anything about this Chemical compound, Quentepeline is a horse tranquilizer. ( I used to give it to MY horses when shipping them out for circuit shows). Seroquel Is MICRO-grammed down to a degree in which humans can take it.. IIIIIIII take Seroquel 100 Mg at a time, six to seven times daily, just to get through work and social interaction.then when I get home it takes 400mg to make sure I sleep through the night, but it doesn't always work. So feel lucky peeps you could be ME!! As for Caffeine, I CANNOT take it. I have to drink caffeine free everything it simply intriplicates the anxiety. Which also means I can't do stimulants, or anti-depressants.. lmao, only things that bring me down..oh well, I might as well go back to doing Heroin!!lmao just kidding.. glad that part's over, but none the less..
    And the funniest part.. is I give some of my friends JUST 25 mgs of Seroquel and they're OUT for the day.. meanwhile, I consume more Seroquel than is most often fathomed, 1200mgs a day usually, some days more, and 25 knocks everyone else out.. It makes me laugh..
    what about a little grass?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    chadwick wrote:
    LMAO ok let me just say I'm laughing my ass off at myself..he he I don't need a freaking THING to wig me out, just a room full of people, and the anxiety is ON.. It's so bad that the doctors give me Seroquel, and if any of you know anything about this Chemical compound, Quentepeline is a horse tranquilizer. ( I used to give it to MY horses when shipping them out for circuit shows). Seroquel Is MICRO-grammed down to a degree in which humans can take it.. IIIIIIII take Seroquel 100 Mg at a time, six to seven times daily, just to get through work and social interaction.then when I get home it takes 400mg to make sure I sleep through the night, but it doesn't always work. So feel lucky peeps you could be ME!! As for Caffeine, I CANNOT take it. I have to drink caffeine free everything it simply intriplicates the anxiety. Which also means I can't do stimulants, or anti-depressants.. lmao, only things that bring me down..oh well, I might as well go back to doing Heroin!!lmao just kidding.. glad that part's over, but none the less..

grass is ilegal. you should be banned for making this post.
    www.myspace.com
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    edited December 2010
    chadwick wrote:
    trust I smoke!! LOL @ you should be banned for the post.. too funny..doctors lawyers, all sorts of people smoke.. me? I smoke for the safety of the general public. Now, thank me for smoking, cause you're still alive, so it's working!!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
    chadwick wrote:

then banning me, fucker :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

then banning me, fucker :mrgreen:

i've already emailed kat.
    www.myspace.com
  • no sense of humor. :-( Oh well I tried.. anyhow what I do in my own home is my own business. End of conversation.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276