"The Fighter"

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This movie was outstanding!! Saw it tonight and was blown away by Christian Bale's performance. He definitely deserves the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. I want to see it again now. Highly, strongly, any adjective you can think of to recommend it.
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I have to agree, it does look good.

Oddly enough, a few years ago I had a dream on a similar premise to this movie but it was Brad Pitt as the lead character. Even started writing a story about it, titled it Shadow of the Iron Man.
  • Bale is an incredible actor. Very underrated. Check out "American Psycho"

'
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Bale is an incredible actor. Very underrated. Check out "American Psycho"

'
    Seen it. Loved it. Great movie.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 wrote:

'
    He is right up ther with Depp .Believe that.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    This, has to be, the greatest, Christian Bale moment, ever.

Background if you haven't heard this: A director of photography walked in on a scene during filming of Terminator Salvation (for a second time) Someone also made a remix song which is ace. I would listen to this and that song repeatedly for days..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZhVxOssyxA
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Definitely planning on seeing this movie!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    Newch91 wrote:
    This movie was outstanding!! Saw it tonight and was blown away by Christian Bale's performance. He definitely deserves the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. I want to see it again now. Highly, strongly, any adjective you can think of to recommend it.

I was just gonna post a topic on this. Saw it tonight. Great acting. Christian Bale will def. be nominated for an Oscar, should win. Amy Adams and the actress who played the mom, Alice (forget her real name), were also very good. They might get nominated also for an Oscar. Walhberg did good, but the supporting cast stle the movie.

Not sure where it ranks as far as boxing movies. Never did see Raging Bull but have seen Rocky and Million Dollar Baby. I think it was better than Million DOllar Baby, not sure about Rocky though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Newch91 wrote:

I was just gonna post a topic on this. Saw it tonight. Great acting. Christian Bale will def. be nominated for an Oscar, should win. Amy Adams and the actress who played the mom, Alice (forget her real name), were also very good. They might get nominated also for an Oscar. Walhberg did good, but the supporting cast stle the movie.

Not sure where it ranks as far as boxing movies. Never did see Raging Bull but have seen Rocky and Million Dollar Baby. I think it was better than Million DOllar Baby, not sure about Rocky though.
    You're definitely right; the supporting cast stole the show. I'm sure Amy Adams will get nominated. Also, the movie itself will get nominated for Best Picture.

This is my total opinion and no one else's...but I think The Fighter was better than Rocky. You have to see Raging Bull. I think it's on the level of Raging Bull.
    Newch91 wrote:

'
    He really is.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Saw this movie by accident, lets just say the movie theater did not have their stuff together. This was a really good movie, and I'm always amazed at Bale's performance- and what extremes he goes through to make his character believable.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I would put Bale in the same category as Daniel Day Lewis who is probably the best actor of this generation.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • I agree great movie

I was a HUGE boxing fan just MMA fan now and I don't remember Mickey Ward

I'm from Philly so I can't comment if this is better than ROCKY :silent:

I think the title should be Mickey & Dickey...how many times were their names used ??

:lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Good to know that this is good, gotta see it soon!
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    We saw The Fighter on Sunday and I can't recommend it enough. It was excellent. It's being hailed as the best boxing movie of all time and I'm tempted to agree. There were a few moments during the movie where the crowd in the theater actually erupted with applause. I'm not going to write a lengthy review, just go see it. 9/10
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    My family is from the town where the brothers grew up (Lowell, MA). My dad remembers them holding a beef and beer one time to raise money for the Bale character's bail money. :D
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Just saw this movie, it was excellent! Mark Wahlberg was very good but Christian Bale was absolutely fantastic in it, and he should definitely win some awards for his performance. I thought Amy Adams was great as well!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,690
    I wanna see this movie so bad.....i guess I should go over the holidays.

If you can ever see any of the fights between Ward & Gotti. After watching them, you would swear you just watched a "Rocky" movie. Great fights
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,002
    Supposed to be seeing this tonight. We'll see if the plans hold up.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Supposed to be seeing this tonight. We'll see if the plans hold up.
    The plans went through. You MUST see this movie, very very well done. except for one particular scene. didnt ring true to life based on my personal experience.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Finally found the documentary with Dicky online-
    http://www.snagfilms.com/films/watch/hi ... in_lowell/

Wow these people are messed up. Drugs are bad people!
    Holtzmn wrote:
    Finally found the documentary with Dicky online-

Thanks for that. I'll have to watch it soon.
  • Holtzmn wrote:

Thank you for posting that Holtzmn. I just watched it all. Scary scary stuff. This doc hits very close to home for me. Sad.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Holtzmn wrote:

Thank you for posting that Holtzmn. I just watched it all. Scary scary stuff. This doc hits very close to home for me. Sad.
    Just know theres a way up and out FF , when they make the decision.

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Is this really better then Raging Bull?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I wouldn't say better than Raging Bull. I think it's better than Rocky.
    Newch91 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Fair enough i'll try to see this tonight if i can.

I'll keep my expectations a little in check. rocky was great but Raging Bull was a masterpiece. I can't have my expectations out the roof going in and then it just turn out to be fantastic :) instead of one of the best films ever
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Newch91 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    I loved this movie. Very entertaining! Thank you all for the recomendation.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Still have not been able to see this (had a ton of snow this weekend), but really want to see it. I know the woman who plays Christian Bale's Girlfriend!
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Newch91 wrote:

'
    Really? :think:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad