Iconic sports moments that you remember where you were?

2»

Comments

• I just remembered a bad one...

1993 Penguins vs Islanders... 2nd round of the playoffs Game #7...

Pens lost in overtime on a David Volek goal past Tom Barrasso

It was the night of my senior prom, and we convinced the school to have a TV there... All of us crowded around and watched in disbelief as the Pens lost their chance of a title 3-peat with their most talented team in history... blah...

I drank a lot that night...

It's funny, I barely remember the girl I went with or anything we did, but I remember watching that game there lol

how bout the pens/flyers 5 (i think--not a hockey guy :mrgreen: )overtime game 10 years ago? again, in college, our evening started off pregaming with some frosty beverages to this game...the night ended about 6 hours later, all smashed, watching this one in overtime. incredible.

I started watching that at work and finished watching it staying up to whatever time drinking beer in my apartment.... it's funny, some friends of mine called me at one point in OT and were driving to the arena and asked if I wanted to go. I said no, thinking that by the time we'd get there, it would be over.

They ended up sneaking in through one of the smoking areas, and watched like the last 2 overtimes lol.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i was just in the elevator with archie griffin
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I don't know if this is Iconic but i was at the first outdoor game with Montreal canadians playing. was like -100 out doors but man what a game.

Also, Joe Carter hitting the home run against the phillies in the WS. i was at the game.

Sidney Crosby gold mental goal against the US last year (hate the player but great moment in Canadian hockey.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Well, I'm going to show my age right here, but I was 7 at the time, but I remember this. I was raised a Bruins fan and this is one of my earliest hockey memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZR2MGFDTYE
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i was just in the elevator with archie griffin

about as iconic as sports moments come right there.
    www.myspace.com
  • Here are some events that I attended:
    -1992: Eagles spank Cowboys 31-7 in hugely overhyped MNF Game (Dallas got plenty of revenge later in the year). Not that iconic but it was a big deal at the time.
    -1993: Mothers Day - Every Phillies fan (who's old enough) remembers Mariano Duncan's grand slam off the overrated Lee Smith. I was in the 300 level with my mom & grandmom.
    -1993: Blue Jays score 6 in 8th to beat Phils 15-14 in highest scoring World Series game. :cry:
    -1995: Eagles destroy Lions 58-37 in Wild Card game (it was 51-7 at one point). I believe it's still the highest scoring NFL playoff game.
    -2000: Keith Primeau scores in 5th OT to beat the Penguins. 2/3 of the Penguins fans had left. Weak.
    Some kid behind me stayed the whole game with his mom and whined about the "cheating" Flyers while I jumped around like an idiot. Oh yeah, I also almost got beat up in the bathroom during the 5th intermission.
    -2008: Brett Myers works a walk, then Shane Victorino hits a grand slam off the overweight, overpaid & overrated CC Sabathia.
    -2008: Joe Blanton hits a HR in Game 4 of the World Series.

Other moments I saw on TV and remember well:
    -1988: SB XXII - Doug Williams 35-point 2nd quarter sent me, then a 10-yr old Broncos fan, depressed and literally to the showers.
    -1992: Christian Laittner game at the Spectrum
    -2002 (or I guess 2003): Miami is ripped off by horrible pass interference call and loses National Championship to Ohio St. :evil: As someone else mentioned, McGahee's knee is shredded in 4th quarter.
    -2006: Zidane goes crazy and French coach takes out all his good players for some reason, then Italy actually wins a PK shootout and World Cup :D Next day was maybe the worst hangover of my life since we were doing shots for each PK made by the team you were rooting against. I guess that was 3 for me, but I'm a lightweight.
    -2010: Roy Halladay perfect game - switching with Flyers Stanley Cup Game 1 and trying to explain the concept of a perfect game to my sister-in-law, who couldn't understand how this game could possibly compare in importance with the SC Final, without saying the words "perfect game"; Roy Halladay playoff no-hitter - watching with my 3-day old son
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,437
    -2010: Roy Halladay perfect game - switching with Flyers Stanley Cup Game 1 and trying to explain the concept of a perfect game to my sister-in-law, who couldn't understand how this game could possibly compare in importance with the SC Final, without saying the words "perfect game"; Roy Halladay playoff no-hitter - watching with my 3-day old son

not to sound sexist but this is why I hate watching big games with women around, unless at a bar. too much needless chatter and not understanding or caring about the significance. sorry if i can't explain why this game means so much to me.
  • pjhawks wrote:

not to sound sexist but this is why I hate watching big games with women around, unless at a bar. too much needless chatter and not understanding or caring about the significance. sorry if i can't explain why this game means so much to me.

You're right to an extent, but it was my wife and I explaining it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    There's Too many to list, i'm a Yankees Fan.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    Dale Earnhardt's Death- I watched the race
    OJ's run- I was at work watching it on tv, :lol:
    Cal Ripken breaking Gehrig's streak- watched on ESPN
    Mark McGwire getting 70 homers

and just about every "philly" sports moment i remember

I remember the pens/flyers game well. It was a Thursday night. I remember this cuz I was waiting for Smackdown to come on TV :lol: . I eventually fell asleep during one of the OT's and woke up and the game was still going on.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Well, I'm going to show my age right here, but I was 7 at the time, but I remember this. I was raised a Bruins fan and this is one of my earliest hockey memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZR2MGFDTYE

You old bastard :lol: , I was 6 and starting playing hockey 2 years later.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I just remembered a bad one...

It was the night of my senior prom, and we convinced the school to have a TV there... All of us crowded around and watched in disbelief as the Pens lost their chance of a title 3-peat with their most talented team in history... blah...

It's funny, I barely remember the girl I went with or anything we did, but I remember watching that game there lol

how bout the pens/flyers 5 (i think--not a hockey guy :mrgreen: )overtime game 10 years ago? again, in college, our evening started off pregaming with some frosty beverages to this game...the night ended about 6 hours later, all smashed, watching this one in overtime. incredible.

I started watching that at work and finished watching it staying up to whatever time drinking beer in my apartment.... it's funny, some friends of mine called me at one point in OT and were driving to the arena and asked if I wanted to go. I said no, thinking that by the time we'd get there, it would be over.

They ended up sneaking in through one of the smoking areas, and watched like the last 2 overtimes lol.
    Pens flyers was in 2000 and I remember starting the night watching it at my dorm room in Ithaca going to Cornell to hang out with a work buddy, bar hopping all night long, then getting back just in time to see the game winner. The crazy thing is that was the moment that came to mind out of all of the ones I've seen as soon as I saw the thread.

Honorable Mention:
    Flutie Pass - First NCAA football game I remember was mesmerized by the U and cried while my dad made me watch the play over and over.

Kordell Stewart pass - I actually called the entire thing (although never again duplicated) said to my dad all they have to do is score here, stop Michigan 3 and out, get the ball back and get it to their 35. Stewart can at least throw it that far. Obviously I thought I knew something about sports after that, but clearly not all of my prediction ring as true

Aaron Boone HR of Wakefield - was dating my wife for a few years, and she actually yelled at that asshat yankees fan who showed up in the bar AFTER they made the comeback.

LeBron against the Cavs - In my basement cackling with delight during the 3rd quarter while having the TV volume muted listening to Eminem and Rhianna "Love the Way you Lie" on repeat. Watching really sad Cavs fans being broken and imploding basket by basket.

Silly One:
    Brewers turn double play to get into the playoffs for the first time that I could remember. Jumped off my couch as the ball rolled to Ricky Weeks only to see I was floating over the PS2 and turned and sprained my ankle just in time to miss the full turn. I had to ask my wife if they did it...Yes I was plastered and had blamed her for their misfortunes the whole game.
  • Various New York sports moments:

Baseball:

Game Six of the 1986 NLCS: I was finishing up some second grade homework when this game was going on. If I remember correctly it was a late afternoon start so it would have ended up around 7:30 or 8:00

Game Six of the 1986 World Series: I was seven and watching at home with my parents. I may or may not have fallen asleep before Buckner's error actually happened.

Game Six of the 1996 World Series: I was in the 12th grade but watched at home with my parents. I had frantically tried to win tickets through the contest line on WFAN, but never could get through. Only consolation was going to the parade and when I told various teachers, they said have fun instead of admonishing me for missing class.

Game Six of the 2009 World Series: I covered that one, got to go on the field to do postgame interviews. It was a madhouse but still very cool. The one quote I really recall is when someone asked Cashman about having the biggest payroll, he said "You can call us anything you want to but you're going to have to call us champs.

Game Seven of the 2003 ALCS: I was working an overnight editor for a wire service at the time and happened to be the only one who liked and could write hockey recaps. So while I have the game on one TV, I'm following three hockey games (Penguins-Canadiens, Thrashers-Rangers and Sharks-Flyers). Making matters even more challenging is that the last two ended 0-0, so while various people are screaming through the office at 12:15, I'm figuring out how to create a game story out of two hockey games with no goals.

Hockey:

Game 7 Eastern Conference Finals: This was the epic Devils-Ranger series. It was a Friday night of Memorial Day weekend and I was in the ninth grade. Not necessarily being Joe Popular, I watched this game at home. I remember thinking the "1940" curse still existed when Zelepukin scored with 7.7 seconds left. I remember the Matteau goal still, how that play developed. The next day I went to the Mets-Reds game at Shea Stadium and sitting in the field level, I kept thinking, holy bleep, did the Rangers really get to the finals.

Game 7 Stanley Cup Finals: Still in ninth grade, but about a week away from finishing junior hockey, it was a little tough to focus on the sequential one math regents. Maybe that's why I got a 50 the first time I took it. I watched this from home with a few neighbors and we went apeshit when they won that game. Back then my best friend growing up was still into hockey, he kind of lost interest after the lockout and it happened to be his father's birthday and the day he was born was June 14, 1940.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Charles Smith just got stuffed again.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    a spectaculor move by michael jordan.

yeah, you know the one. 4th qtr, game 2, 1991 nba finals
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

you'll notice that I didn't include that one...
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    when a muhammad ali cassius clay fight would be on tv.
    family entertainment
    uncles, aunts, grandparents all came over to our house
    beer, bourbon, wine, food
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpfzdupLHaE
    or when he'd jam out with liberace :wtf:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I just remembered a bad one...

i remember watching this at my grandparents house with my dad and grandpa(lifelong rangers fan but wasn't the rangers fan who hated the islanders) and when volek put that puck into the net i jumped into my fathers arm and knocked him down onto the carpet. i was only 7 or 8 at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0-oCyYHVo

:mrgreen:

i was at this game. one of the loduest times i'll ever hear the coliseum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    @ Super Bowl w/ Dad...Pats/Giants...
    I dress in complete Dolphin gear - w/ sign 18-1...(as a Fins fan, I wanted no part of the undefeated nonsense and I hate the Pats - not as much as the Jets...)anyway...
    Tyree catch - my Dad and I jump up in unison, screaming "what a catch" - seconds later on the giant videoboard is a "what a catch" flashing like crazy...
    I'll never forget ,what arguably can me consided , one of the greatest catches in one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time...

Way distant 2nd:
    Me and Pops @ the Mistake at the Lake in Cleveland, 1977, vs the Rams - Joe Namaths final game...horrific snow/cold/sleet nastiness and Joe sucked :) The photo of Joe slumped, defeated and done on the sideline was a very famous photo :)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
    81 wrote:

you'll notice that I didn't include that one...

back during the bulls first three peat, i used to live down the dorm hall from a big knicks fan. he loved to tell me how great the knicks were. all season long, it was knicks knicks knicks. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I was in right field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9lGCS5DTg

Nice thread.
    Nice shirt.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Here are some events that I attended:
    -1992: Eagles spank Cowboys 31-7 in hugely overhyped MNF Game (Dallas got plenty of revenge later in the year). Not that iconic but it was a big deal at the time.
    -1993: Mothers Day - Every Phillies fan (who's old enough) remembers Mariano Duncan's grand slam off the overrated Lee Smith. I was in the 300 level with my mom & grandmom.
    -1993: Blue Jays score 6 in 8th to beat Phils 15-14 in highest scoring World Series game. :cry:
    -1995: Eagles destroy Lions 58-37 in Wild Card game (it was 51-7 at one point). I believe it's still the highest scoring NFL playoff game.
    -2000: Keith Primeau scores in 5th OT to beat the Penguins. 2/3 of the Penguins fans had left. Weak.
    Some kid behind me stayed the whole game with his mom and whined about the "cheating" Flyers while I jumped around like an idiot. Oh yeah, I also almost got beat up in the bathroom during the 5th intermission.
    -2008: Brett Myers works a walk, then Shane Victorino hits a grand slam off the overweight, overpaid & overrated CC Sabathia.
    -2008: Joe Blanton hits a HR in Game 4 of the World Series.

Other moments I saw on TV and remember well:
    -1988: SB XXII - Doug Williams 35-point 2nd quarter sent me, then a 10-yr old Broncos fan, depressed and literally to the showers.
    -1992: Christian Laittner game at the Spectrum
    -2002 (or I guess 2003): Miami is ripped off by horrible pass interference call and loses National Championship to Ohio St. :evil: As someone else mentioned, McGahee's knee is shredded in 4th quarter.
    -2006: Zidane goes crazy and French coach takes out all his good players for some reason, then Italy actually wins a PK shootout and World Cup :D Next day was maybe the worst hangover of my life since we were doing shots for each PK made by the team you were rooting against. I guess that was 3 for me, but I'm a lightweight.

that's awesome that you were at the 5 OT game. that's one of the most famous philly playoff games of all time right there.

not sure how I forgot to include halladay's no hitter in the playoffs on my list. I was at that game. I'm an idiot
  • The Fixer wrote:
    that's awesome that you were at the 5 OT game. that's one of the most famous philly playoff games of all time right there.

not sure how I forgot to include halladay's no hitter in the playoffs on my list. I was at that game. I'm an idiot

To be honest, it was just easier to buy tickets from the Penguins, drive to Pittsburgh and stay in a hotel then it was to get Flyers home tixx. Penguins fans suck. :lol: I guess it's a little easier to get playoff tixx these days, but at least most Flyers fans would stay to the end of a long OT game.

• BronyBrony Posts: 631
    This is fun.

Aaron Boone game: There
    Game 7 Red Sox Comback: (worst game ever, but id say iconic) There
    NFC Championship NYG vs GB: There
    World Series Earthquake: Basement playing floor hockey vs Dad
    McGuire breaking record: Folding socks
    hmm
  • Brony wrote:
    This is fun.

Aaron Boone game: There
    Game 7 Red Sox Comback: (worst game ever, but id say iconic) There
    NFC Championship NYG vs GB: There
    World Series Earthquake: Basement playing floor hockey vs Dad
    McGuire breaking record: Folding socks
    hmm

I was at that Game in 2004, ugh. but looking back on it, it's part of baseball history and in the grand scheme of things you can appreciate seeing something like that, especially the way the Red Sox earned that series.

It's funny how McGwire captivated the country back then. The day before he broke the mark, I was at a Met-Brave game on Labor Day at Shea Stadium. In the middle of the game, it starts raining and pouring in epic ways and everyone was in the concourses. The big screen was showing the game and when McGwire comes up, everyone goes up the ramp to watch.

Another iconic moment I saw in person was the only time I went to a Mariner game. That was in 2009 when I went to Seattle for a long weekend for the Pearl Jam shows. The game is great, A.J. Burnett and Felix Hernandez matching each other the whole way, Franklin Guttierez making a highlight-reel grab. But how's this for an ending?

Ichiro hits a game-winning home run off Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth. The other two games in that series were blowouts, so I got lucky in deciding to go to this game decided by two future Hall of Famers.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • I'll never forget where I was when the New Jersey Devils won that Cup in 03.

Watching it at my buddies house having a beer
    fog bowl
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    81 wrote:
    fog bowl

you were there for that monstrosity?

f#cking keith jackson....WIDE OPEN! :x
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    fog bowl

you were there for that monstrosity?

f#cking keith jackson....WIDE OPEN! :x

whoa nelly. wasn't there, but i'm not sure the people there would remember it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg