Iconic sports moments that you remember where you were?

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So, Mike & Mike on ESPN radio were talking about John Lennon's death and how the news was pretty much broken on Monday Night Football.

That spun into things that happened in sports where you remember where you were when you heard the news. Stuff like the Miracle on Ice, Dale Earnhart's death, Magic Johnson's HIV positive announcement, OJ chase, etc...

I remember most of the things, but only remember a few so well that I can picture where I was at the time:

OJ verdict
World Series earthquake
Mario Lemieux announcing he was coming out of retirement
Kirk Gibson's World Series homerun
Scott Norwood's "wide right" against the Giants
'87 National Championship Pens State vs Miami "Interception Giftopoulos!!!!"

What are some of yours... championships that your team won (unless it was on some iconic play), don't really count, we all know where we were when those happened for our teams.
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I almost pissed myself in 1986 when that ball went through Bill Buckners legs in game 6 of the world series.

I was rooting for the Mets, but I felt SOOOO bad for him and still do. It really was the saddest thing I've ever seen in sports related to a persons future mental state. I hope Buckner is OK these days.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    oj simpson breaking and the rangers winning the cup was the same day in 94

i had just arrived in the bahamas
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • I vividly remember the day Dale Earnhardt was killed....the man was a bad ass...haven't watched a Nascar race since nor will I ever that I can imagine
    Kurt's homerun
    OJ chase
    the Doug Flutie miracle against Miami
    the night cal ripken broke the consecutive games record
    the entire summer of McGwire and Sosa...we were glued to the tv
    I'm sure there are more that aren't coming to me
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    When Willis McGahee's knee bent backwards during a National Championship game vs. Ohio State.
    Joe Carter's World Series ending home run.
    Pacers/Pistons Brawl.
    John Paxon's 3 pointer against the Suns in the Finals.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • I vividly remember the day Dale Earnhardt was killed....the man was a bad ass...haven't watched a Nascar race since nor will I ever that I can imagine
    Kurt's homerun
    OJ chase
    the Doug Flutie miracle against Miami
    the night cal ripken broke the consecutive games record
    the entire summer of McGwire and Sosa...we were glued to the tv
    I'm sure there are more that aren't coming to me

I forgot about Cal's record, I remember that night vividly.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • my biggest is Francisco Cabrera's RBI to score Sid Bream and clinch the NLCS in 92. I was only 12 and my family was vacationing in NC. We were in some hole-in-the-wall tavern to watch the game since our house didnt have cable. As a Braves fan, this was the most memorable play EVER!
    "Swung, line drive left field! One run is in! Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He is...safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • my biggest is Francisco Cabrera's RBI to score Sid Bream and clinch the NLCS in 92. I was only 12 and my family was vacationing in NC. We were in some hole-in-the-wall tavern to watch the game since our house didnt have cable. As a Braves fan, this was the most memorable play EVER!
    "Swung, line drive left field! One run is in! Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He is...safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!

As a Pirates fan, I've tried to remove that from my memory, but I can't... Ex-Pirate Sid Bream with his two bad knees beats out a candy ass through by Barry Bonds... god I still hate seeing that replay, and that was the last time that the Pirates were competitve... :oops:
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    yanks 96 ws... watched up my friend eric's house

yanks 98 ws.. watched up my friend jimmy's house

yanks 99 ws.. watched in my friend cheezy's apt.

yanks 2000ws..watched in my apt

yanks 2001 ws..devestated up tony gomez's house

yanks2003 ws..watched up in the bronx over some chick's apt..i was messing with

yanks 2009 ws ..watched in my brooklyn apt

:lol: quite the list
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • maybe not exactly iconic...but I will never forget the all-star game at fenway when ted williams was on the field
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I guess I really am not aware of many at all, but I do remember watching John Stockton send the Jazz to the NBA finals for the first time in 1997. One of the greatest shots ever made. A deep three, on Houston's home court.

That guy is a local legend.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    well i'll just list the non-obvious philly related sports moments for me.

1) the night hank gathers collapsed and died on the court. i got to play a scrimmage against his team in high school and his death hit me. openly wept watching the stories on espn that night. still so very sad

2) Duke-Kentucky NCAA regional game at the spectrum. turned down a ticket to sit in the very last row of the spectrum and instead watched it at home. greatest game ever

3) OJ chase and verdict
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Saturday, 1 September, 2001
    My wife and I were driving back from our holiday in France and as soon as we got off the ferry I put on the radio. England were playing in a World Cup qualifier against the old enemy Germany in Munich. The score was 1-1 at the time and over the next hour it went 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and finally 5-1 to England. Each goal was greeted with horns blaring on the motorway and fists punching the air out of windows. Best drive of my life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ0uIKjommQ
  • I watched the above game in a bar in glasgow after Scotland drew with Croatia, me and my brother were there with our English wives! We asked them not to speak and went back to our hotel early!!!!!!!! :D
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    only two events ...

1. becker vs. edberg 1987 at wimbledon
    2. joe carter's world series winning home run
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    is the oj verdict considered a sports moment?
    www.myspace.com
  • is the oj verdict considered a sports moment?
    If it is... it was on my birthday :roll:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    http://www.inhistoric.com/2010/1/2/9989 ... e-comeback

this is why i will always hate the Buffalo Bills. how the HELL do you blow that big of a lead???? it still hurts.

Screenshot2010-12-08at110055AM.png
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Buckeyes National Championship vs. Miami

Bulls first championship vs. the Lakers

those two stand out the most.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i was watching OJ in the student union
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Our whole class got together in the library and watched the OJ verdict live, when I was in 6th grade. I was sittin at home watching the chase.

Sittin at home, alone in my recliner the night Mcgwire hit 62. My grandma called before he finished his trot, to say he did it.

Watchin the SB at home with my family when Norwood missed the FG. My sister and I had a bet. Loser had to do the other's chores for a week.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    cool post. I'm not going to keep this to philly-related stuff...just what I consider to be the most memorable.

1 - lidge striking out eric hinske in game 5, part 2, of the 2008 WS...I was 8 rows off the field. Being there to see a philly team win a title (first time I was old enough to remember any philly team winning it all). That is something I will be telling my grandchildren about one day.

2 - The Music City Miracle - I was working at a liquor store in college. There were about 10 people in the store at the time and everyone was going crazy (for no reason...this was down in baltimore...just a crazy play).

3 - the Laettner shot vs kentucky at the spectrum. I was in 8th grade. Watching the game in my room by myself. unreal

4 - joe carter beating the phils in '93. was at a friends house. that ball still hasn't gone over the fence

5 - keith primeau's goal in the 5th OT vs the pens back in 2000. That goal tied up the series at 2 after the flyers had lost the first 2 games at home. They would go on to win that series. That was on my birthday. I was still in college. I was drunk as shit during that game.

6 - plenty of other memorable flyers moments...

**lindros hooking messier and scoring an empty netter to put the flyers in the SCF (I was down the shore)
    **roenick going top shelf vs the maple leafs (I was in the diamond club of the phils game watching this...pretty sure this is the same game that kapanen got knocked out on his feet and somehow made it to the bench. that series was incredible)
    **the flyers comeback from 3-0 series deficit to beat the bruins last year
    **joffrey lupul scores the OT winner in game 7 to knock the caps out of the playoffs (was living in florida and watching at my condo)
    **brian boucher's save on the patrick elias breakaway in the 2000 playoffs (my apt in college)
    **2004 ECF when primeau scored to tie game 6 with under 2 minutes left...then gagne scoring in OT to force a game 7 (PJ Whelihans in Washington Twp)
    **Giroux scoring in OT of game 3 in the finals (I was at the game)

7 - crosby's goal in OT of the gold medal game (I hate the guy, but that play was memorable)

8 - matt stairs home run off broxton in 2008 (home watching by myself)

9 - Iverson singlehandedly winning game 1 of the NBA finals in LA (parent's house with my buddies)

10 - The last 3 minutes of the Pittsburgh/Arizona Super Bowl

Sports are awesome.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    magic's baby skyhook against the celtics in 87...my buddy had to work and wasn't allowed a tv or radio so he called me and i did my best chick hearn and called the final seconds for him

gibbys home run...freshman year in college and a bunch of us are watching the game in a dorm room on a 13" tv...gibson is announced and i proclaim that if he hits a home run, i'll jump off the balcony (we were on the 2nd floor)...yeah, i never jumped :P

i think i spent 9 hours in front of the tv watching the oj chase while also watching the knicks/rockets game

others where i was just sitting in front of the tv
    game 6
    dale earnhart
    along with most of the others of the last 30 years
    The Fixer wrote:
    cool post. I'm not going to keep this to philly-related stuff...just what I consider to be the most memorable.

1 - lidge striking out eric hinske in game 5, part 2, of the 2008 WS...I was 8 rows off the field. Being there to see a philly team win a title (first time I was old enough to remember any philly team winning it all). That is something I will be telling my grandchildren about one day.

2 - The Music City Miracle - I was working at a liquor store in college. There were about 10 people in the store at the time and everyone was going crazy (for no reason...this was down in baltimore...just a crazy play).

3 - the Laettner shot vs kentucky at the spectrum. I was in 8th grade. Watching the game in my room by myself. unreal

4 - joe carter beating the phils in '93. was at a friends house. that ball still hasn't gone over the fence

5 - keith primeau's goal in the 5th OT vs the pens back in 2000. That goal tied up the series at 2 after the flyers had lost the first 2 games at home. They would go on to win that series. That was on my birthday. I was still in college. I was drunk as shit during that game.

**lindros hooking messier and scoring an empty netter to put the flyers in the SCF (I was down the shore)
    **roenick going top shelf vs the maple leafs (I was in the diamond club of the phils game watching this...pretty sure this is the same game that kapanen got knocked out on his feet and somehow made it to the bench. that series was incredible)
    **joffrey lupul scores the OT winner in game 7 to knock the caps out of the playoffs (was living in florida and watching at my condo)
    **brian boucher's save on the patrick elias breakaway in the 2000 playoffs (my apt in college)
    **2004 ECF when primeau scored to tie game 6 with under 2 minutes left...then gagne scoring in OT to force a game 7 (PJ Whelihans in Washington Twp)

7 - crosby's goal in OT of the gold medal game (I hate the guy, but that play was memorable)

9 - Iverson singlehandedly winning game 1 of the NBA finals in LA (parent's house with my buddies)

Sports are awesome.

Lindros getting the knocked the fuck out by Stevens.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Sports are awesome.

Lindros getting the knocked the fuck out by Stevens.

and hal gill. and half the other guys in the NHL.

yeah, they were left off of my list for a reason
    another good one is the Rams/Titans super bowl. I missed the entire first half of the game because a buddy and I went to DC to see the flyers play the caps. A huge blizzard hit during the game...when we came out of the Verizon Center (or whatever it was called back then), it was a mess outside. Took us close to 4 hours to go from DC back to towson (it's usually about an hour drive). that day was pretty crazy.
    The Fixer wrote:
    another good one is the Rams/Titans super bowl. I missed the entire first half of the game because a buddy and I went to DC to see the flyers play the caps. A huge blizzard hit during the game...when we came out of the Verizon Center (or whatever it was called back then), it was a mess outside. Took us close to 4 hours to go from DC back to towson (it's usually about an hour drive). that day was pretty crazy.

what a great night that was. i was in college at my buddy's house. he had a bunch of people over. got completely shit faced...then the snow came and for some reason bloomsburg cancelled monday classes that night---so it turned into a 48 hour binge session. i miss college.
    www.myspace.com
  • I just remembered a bad one...

1993 Penguins vs Islanders... 2nd round of the playoffs Game #7...

Pens lost in overtime on a David Volek goal past Tom Barrasso

It was the night of my senior prom, and we convinced the school to have a TV there... All of us crowded around and watched in disbelief as the Pens lost their chance of a title 3-peat with their most talented team in history... blah...

I drank a lot that night...

It's funny, I barely remember the girl I went with or anything we did, but I remember watching that game there lol
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I just remembered a bad one...

It was the night of my senior prom, and we convinced the school to have a TV there... All of us crowded around and watched in disbelief as the Pens lost their chance of a title 3-peat with their most talented team in history... blah...

It's funny, I barely remember the girl I went with or anything we did, but I remember watching that game there lol

how bout the pens/flyers 5 (i think--not a hockey guy :mrgreen: )overtime game 10 years ago? again, in college, our evening started off pregaming with some frosty beverages to this game...the night ended about 6 hours later, all smashed, watching this one in overtime. incredible.
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_x wrote:
    only two events ...

1. becker vs. edberg 1987 at wimbledon
    2. joe carter's world series winning home run

1. becker vs. edberg 1987 at wimbledon....absolutley!!

2. 1995 Australian Open Sampras vs Courier....and Sampras wept....but won!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    I just remembered a bad one...

how bout the pens/flyers 5 (i think--not a hockey guy :mrgreen: )overtime game 10 years ago? again, in college, our evening started off pregaming with some frosty beverages to this game...the night ended about 6 hours later, all smashed, watching this one in overtime. incredible.

it's on my list. cops came to my apt after that one ended. the fixer was in rare form that night