Options

I would actually break down in tears if I ever heard the band play this song live...

vedderoffdeadvedderoffdead Posts: 684
edited May 2008 in The Porch
River of deceit by Mad Season.

I have always thought it would not only be a KILLER song to throw into a setlist as an encore, but also a very nice, touching, classy tribute to Layne.

It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Mike wrote the music, so it's as much *his* as it was *Layne's*, and the band already pays tribute to Andy and MLB with Crown of thorns...

Can you imagine a second encore with Crown of Thorns, AND then Mike starts playing that beutiful intro to River of deceit? The place would fucking ERUPT!

Just a thought...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I was just playing that on guitar yesterday, popped into my head... strange!
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I too would love to see that....maybe Bonnaroo?
    If I remember correctly, Mike hits just a few notes of it at the end of YL at one of the Gorge shows or maybe Portland....I can't remember, surely somebody else has heard it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    It's not a bad idea! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    edit
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    They should play November Hotel insteeeadd!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I totally agree. I would LOVE if Pearl Jam covered this!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this would be unbelievable
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    This would be insane. Imagine them playing Reach Down too. :D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Freebird!!!
    all 14 minute extended version.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    this would be unbelievable
    yes it would be......
  • Options
    I too would love to see that....maybe Bonnaroo?
    If I remember correctly, Mike hits just a few notes of it at the end of YL at one of the Gorge shows or maybe Portland....I can't remember, surely somebody else has heard it

Yeah, I think it was one of the Gorge shows. I got a fucking chubby when I heard it...

My feeling is they've never really paid tribute to Layne in a live setting. I know that Ed did 4-20-02, but correct me if I'm wrong, but he's never played it live...Ed's voice fits perfectly with River of deceit, 80 % of the crowd or more would INSTANTLY recognize it, and it would go down as one of the greatest, most heart-wrenching moments in PJ history...
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    they really should play this song..
  • Options
    aboslutely lve to hear the guys play this!!!
    'Life comes from within your heart and desire'

~~Wembley 2000, Reading 2006, Paris 2006, Wembley 2007~~
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    just,,free bird - lynyrd skynard and hey joe-hendrix
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I'd cry if I ever heard Tremor Christ live...
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    River of deceit by Mad Season.

I have always thought it would not only be a KILLER song to throw into a setlist as an encore, but also a very nice, touching, classy tribute to Layne.

It makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Mike wrote the music, so it's as much *his* as it was *Layne's*, and the band already pays tribute to Andy and MLB with Crown of thorns...

Can you imagine a second encore with Crown of Thorns, AND then Mike starts playing that beutiful intro to River of deceit? The place would fucking ERUPT!

Just a thought...
    Great song.
    Great idea.
    :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    As much as I love "That Boy"s voice, I am not sure how he would sing that? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE River of Deceit and I would be up there crying with you even if I heard the opening notes, but really, I can't picture our boy singing that song. Then again, he's got the golden chords and for all we know, he can sing anyfuckingthing! So yeah, bring it on!

I understand you're point, but I think technically speaking, Ed's voice is much closer to Layne's than it is to Andy's, and we all know he pulls off Crown of thorns...I wouldn't want Ed to mimic Layne, I'd want him to make it his own.(isn't that EXACTLY what Ed talks about in 4-20-02?)
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I understand you're point, but I think technically speaking, Ed's voice is much closer to Layne's than it is to Andy's, and we all know he pulls off Crown of thorns...I wouldn't want Ed to mimic Layne, I'd want him to make it his own.(isn't that EXACTLY what Ed talks about in 4-20-02?)
    I agree completely, ed and the boys really could make this cover one of their best....
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I agree

are we going to start seeing signs?
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Wow- just downloaded this song- completely beautiful.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    the whole album was great, vedder would sound proper great

also, why not play some three fish, or bayleaf, since they will probably play into the wild
  • Options
    Mohab wrote:
    the whole album was great, vedder would sound proper great

also, why not play some three fish, or bayleaf, since they will probably play into the wild

Indeed. The album was, and still is incredible. It has such a wide range of moods, and feelings, from anger all the way to deep, dark sadness...

I wish we could have heard more from this amazing group...
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Any Mad season song they played i would die. But i agree River of deciet would be something very special.
  • Options
    I endorse this idea fully. But only if they're doing boots. Otherwise, my seething envy would be too much to bear. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I would love to hear them do any Mad Season. It would be amazing. For some reason I have always wanted to hear Ed do Long Gone Day with Lanegan but I think that a little more far fetched. November Hotel would be killer.
  • Options
    I agree

are we going to start seeing signs?
    I totally endorse the signs. It worked with Breath in 98. :D
  • Options
    Murderers wrote:
    I totally endorse the signs. It worked with Breath in 98. :D

And it took 6 years, but it worked with Leash in '06...;)
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Best Thread Ever..

They Need To Play This!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    I would definitely, positively, absolutely shit my pants!!!

River of Deceit for MSG I. who's with me?
    my signature.
  • Options
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    I would definitely, positively, absolutely shit my pants!!!

River of Deceit for MSG I. who's with me?
    Me. I wont be there, but I want you guys to hear it.

MSG II would actually be better. :)