Road Rage

ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone else get this??

I seem to get it a lot, which is a bit daft as I live in a small town that takes no time at all to drive round. I've had blazing rows with other drivers, made obscene hand signals, sworn etc, often in front of my son (13 now and when he was younger).

Today on the way home from work I completely forgot to go and do something I had to do because I seemed to spend the whole journey shouting at other drivers (safely inside my car where they probably couldn't hear me thankfully).

I would really like to stop getting in such a to-do about other peoples driving (I'm no saint on the road), any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    turn the radio up really loud.

come drive around here for a week, you head would explode.

what, left turn arrow is red? lets get three more cars thru the intersection.

i can't wait for vacation to get away from it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

coming to Massachusetts for a visit?
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    I just couldn't possibly care less about the other people in the cars around me. I drive relatively slow on the freeway once I found that I wasn't really gaining any more time. I've gained mental relief and better fuel economy. Let the sheep battle it out for that spot 15 ft ahead and just enjoy the drive.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    **reminds herself not to drive in Cumbria (anywhere in Cumbria - just in case)**
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Claire

You need to chill and be smug in the knowledge that all other drivers are a-holes and you are superior. I do this all the time... then I explode and make gestures.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    81 wrote:

I usually have the radio loud and I probably would explode where you are. Once was driving in Portugal and I think I got out and stormed off leaving hubby to sort the car out. Bit silly really as I didn't know where I was and it was before mobiles so he wouldn't have been able to find me. Luckily I didn't stray too far.
    redrock wrote:
    **reminds herself not to drive in Cumbria (anywhere in Cumbria - just in case)**

:twisted: Step into my lair!! :lol:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Claire

You need to chill and be smug in the knowledge that all other drivers are a-holes and you are superior. I do this all the time... then I explode and make gestures.

Definately want to do this but miss out the last bit :D
  • Leave earlier... :D
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    I get it a lot as well. I have an hour commute each morning one way. 90% of it is highway. People on the road are such a-holes. Especially the ones cruising under the speed limit in the passing lane. I really want to just push these people off the road. BUT, what I(and you) have to realize, is that we are no more important than they are. Our business is no more pressing than theirs is. We might like to think that it is, but in the whole scheme of things, it isn't.
  • babylukin wrote:
    Leave earlier... :D
    Yep....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    maj4e wrote:
    I drive relatively slow on the freeway once I found that I wasn't really gaining any more time.

depends on how far you going. 5mph more on a 900 mile jaunt can save an hour.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    maj4e wrote:
    I drive relatively slow on the freeway once I found that I wasn't really gaining any more time.

depends on how far you going. 5mph more on a 900 mile jaunt can save an hour.
    hehehehehehe

a 900 mile jaunt.....

hehehehehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I get it from time to time, especially driving in the big shitty. Do my damndest to bite my tongue....but its hard as a rock and there are far too many dumbasses on the road for me to keep my mouth shut.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Ugh, this brake-happy old lady pulled out in front of me on a two-lane road this morning. After slamming on her brakes on a little curvy downhill, she's absolutely shocked that I'm right behind her. Now she's panicking with her four-ways on. Fuck it, I passed her in about a half a second. Some of us have to get to work sweetie.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    My good friend has issues with road rage, it's really uncomfortable being in the passenger seat with her at the wheel. I'm convinced she should start taking yoga classes or meditation because the act of driving causes her blood level to go up.

Oh, and I have a reason to be a bit scared of aggressive driving (still recovering from a car accident). Maybe if we all chilled or took a deep breath before starting the car, we wouldn't be so stressed? Or simply paid attention to our own driving and not care about what other drivers are doing? Life shouldn't be about a race anyway. ;)

Sorry Claire, hope that helps. I live in the slow lane now, and I kinda like it.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Ugh, this brake-happy old lady pulled out in front of me on a two-lane road this morning. After slamming on her brakes on a little curvy downhill, she's absolutely shocked that I'm right behind her. Now she's panicking with her four-ways on. Fuck it, I passed her in about a half a second. Some of us have to get to work sweetie.

Pennsylvania drivers are horrendous. Being in sales, I'm on the road a lot. Been all over the country. Maryland drivers are the worst and PA is a close 2nd.

Stay right, pass left...it's not that difficult to comprehend. I don't understand why people in PA have such a difficult time with this concept. If you're going under 80 MPH just stay the fuck out of the left lane. Thank you

EDIT: it also doesn't help that every road in Pennsylvania has only 2 lanes in each direction. Absolutely brutal
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    nerves of steel
    not a lot bugs me
    dumb shits in traffic are close to the last fuckers on earth that get under my skin well enough to cause me to trip the fuck out

i invented driving so im good to go. no worries
    moreover
    my invention of sliding sideways in and through corners leaves all others in my dust

richard petty
    yeah like that
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Oh, and I have a reason to be a bit scared of aggressive driving (still recovering from a car accident). Maybe if we all chilled or took a deep breath before starting the car, we wouldn't be so stressed? Or simply paid attention to our own driving and not care about what other drivers are doing? Life shouldn't be about a race anyway. ;)

Yep, have to agree here. Once you're involved in a five car accident on a major highway, you tend to take things a little slower.

The things that bother me more than anything on the road are people on their GD cellphones and people who don't put their children in safety seats.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Jeanwah wrote:

Sorry Claire, hope that helps. I live in the slow lane now, and I kinda like it.

Agree, desperately trying to find a way to stop, embarrassed myself enough with my outbursts. Fortunately not put anyone else at risk - except myself, at risk of getting punched on the nose in retaliation.
    The things that bother me more than anything on the road are people on their GD cellphones and people who don't put their children in safety seats.

Yesterday a man pulled out in front of me on a mini roundabout, he was obviously distracted by the 8 inch baguette he was holding.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Ugh, this brake-happy old lady pulled out in front of me on a two-lane road this morning. After slamming on her brakes on a little curvy downhill, she's absolutely shocked that I'm right behind her. Now she's panicking with her four-ways on. Fuck it, I passed her in about a half a second. Some of us have to get to work sweetie.

Pennsylvania drivers are horrendous. Being in sales, I'm on the road a lot. Been all over the country. Maryland drivers are the worst and PA is a close 2nd.

Stay right, pass left...it's not that difficult to comprehend. I don't understand why people in PA have such a difficult time with this concept. If you're going under 80 MPH just stay the fuck out of the left lane. Thank you

EDIT: it also doesn't help that every road in Pennsylvania has only 2 lanes in each direction. Absolutely brutal

not sure if PA is the worse or not, but the whole cruising in the left just drives me up the wall. get the fuck over to the right. it absolutly drives me nuts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • People get shot here all the damn time because of road rage.
    Drivers in south florida are absolutley sickening. There are whack-os mixed in with the old blue-hairs, which doesnt make for a good combination.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I always remind myself that I am only rushing to save time to watch TV or some other inane thing.

Early one morning, years ago, I got into a huff over another driver's terrible driving. They pulled up to a stop light in front of me. I jumped out and angrily rushed up to their car. There was a couple inside and they looked scared. Then they looked our their back window and pointed. I drive a 5 speed and had forgot to put on my parking brake. My car was rolling backward down the street. The couple was laughing hysterically as I ran back opened the door and stopped the car before it hit anything. Keeping my cool since then.
    Hold On
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I always remind myself that I am only rushing to save time to watch TV or some other inane thing.

Early one morning, years ago, I got into a huff over another driver's terrible driving. They pulled up to a stop light in front of me. I jumped out and angrily rushed up to their car. There was a couple inside and they looked scared. Then they looked our their back window and pointed. I drive a 5 speed and had forgot to put on my parking brake. My car was rolling backward down the street. The couple was laughing hysterically as I ran back opened the door and stopped the car before it hit anything. Keeping my cool since then.

sorry but I did laugh at that

you have to be careful, you never know who's packing a gun or other weapon

it's just not worth it to confront someone over something that happened on the road
    I always remind myself that I am only rushing to save time to watch TV or some other inane thing.

why would you do that?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    why would you do that?

roid rage
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    why would you do that?

roid rage
    sounds like it
    then people wonder why they get a busted nose or jaw or even shot

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    why would you do that?

roid rage
    sounds like it
    then people wonder why they get a busted nose or jaw or even shot

and shrunken balls...that's the worse part
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Claireack wrote:
    Does anyone else get this??

I seem to get it a lot, which is a bit daft as I live in a small town that takes no time at all to drive round. I've had blazing rows with other drivers, made obscene hand signals, sworn etc, often in front of my son (13 now and when he was younger).

Today on the way home from work I completely forgot to go and do something I had to do because I seemed to spend the whole journey shouting at other drivers (safely inside my car where they probably couldn't hear me thankfully).

I would really like to stop getting in such a to-do about other peoples driving (I'm no saint on the road), any suggestions?
    Turn up the Pearl jam and scream/sing instead..It's what I have to do..Imagine, what a city so huge, it falls into two states, must be like to drive in.. how fun.. Pj saves many other drivers from me everyday..
  • I always remind myself that I am only rushing to save time to watch TV or some other inane thing.

For some reason this makes me think of the time my cousin and I had an attempt of carjacking made on us one late night on Vine and 13th in L.A.. We pulled up to the intersection, and this black guy comes running up with a .22 snub. He taps it on the window and I'm straight freaking out, My cousin? He's laughing his ass off. He reaches under my seat and grabs a Glock 9mm. and points at the guy, laughing, he tells him "mine's gonna leave a bigger hole, wanna die or ya want my car?" The black guy went a bit white and ran away.. I made my cousin pull over so I could puke, cause I was scared shitless. But dude I'll always remember that.. wanna die or ya want my car?
    Turn up the Pearl jam and scream/sing instead..It's what I have to do..Imagine, what a city so huge, it falls into two states, must be like to drive in.. how fun.. Pj saves many other drivers from me everyday..

i drove thru KC twice, and it wasn't bad.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg