NBA buys New Orleans Hornets; Seattle potential destination?

2»

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    :lol:

if he plays like he did last night, he can whine all day long. 29 points and 12 boards. takes a lot of pressure off of D Rose.

Yeah, that's not bad. :evil:

That's alright, I'll take Millsap over Boozer. Provided Al Jefferson masters Sloan's system, I'll take him over Boozer too.

he's been a big upgrade over Taj Gibson on the offensive end. Hopefully, he can help Taj develop an offensive game besides the 15ft clank
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    :lol:

if he plays like he did last night, he can whine all day long. 29 points and 12 boards. takes a lot of pressure off of D Rose.

Yeah, that's not bad. :evil:

That's alright, I'll take Millsap over Boozer. Provided Al Jefferson masters Sloan's system, I'll take him over Boozer too.

he's been a big upgrade over Taj Gibson on the offensive end. Hopefully, he can help Taj develop an offensive game besides the 15ft clank

You're right about that, and being that Chicago has never been on my shitlist, I hope you guys can maybe dominate the East. I'd love to see Boston and Chicago duke it out in the ECF. That would no doubt be a great series. What a great rivalry that is.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Kemp, Payton, Schrempf, Big Smooth, The Hawk, Nate up against Jordan, Pippen, and the rest of the 95/96 Bulls in game 6 of the NBA Finals was pretty fucking awesome!!!

awe shit, you are right. i was thinking it was in the first run, but that was LA, Portland, Phoenix

so let me correct that line up

Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Rodman, LUC, Toni, Kerr :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Kemp, Payton, Schrempf, Big Smooth, The Hawk, Nate up against Jordan, Pippen, and the rest of the 95/96 Bulls in game 6 of the NBA Finals was pretty fucking awesome!!!

awe shit, you are right. i was thinking it was in the first run, but that was LA, Portland, Phoenix

so let me correct that line up

Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Rodman, LUC, Toni, Kerr :mrgreen:

95/96 Bulls. Best NBA team. If anybody will beat that record, it sure as shit won't be The Miami Globetrotters.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Never say never. nobody is going to touch it this season, but you never know when the next Dynasty is going to come along.

hell, that Bulls team could have won a handful more games. lost twice to indiana, and they sat the starters a big chunk of the last game. of course, i'm sure they won a few they shouldn't have. they could have won 75 games that season

plus you have a 69 win laker team from way back when.

it takes a lot of talent and maybe more importantly, a team leader that wants to win every game. that is where miami comes up short.

but it can be done.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Never say never. nobody is going to touch it this season, but you never know when the next Dynasty is going to come along.

hell, that Bulls team could have won a handful more games. lost twice to indiana, and they sat the starters a big chunk of the last game. of course, i'm sure they won a few they shouldn't have. they could have won 75 games that season

plus you have a 69 win laker team from way back when.

it takes a lot of talent and maybe more importantly, a team leader that wants to win every game. that is where miami comes up short.

but it can be done.

Can be done. Not by Miami though, hopefully. Dumb ass JVG.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    i think everyone hopes miami fails, even those in miami, at least based on their attendance, or lack there of. :lol:

nice run on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i think everyone hopes miami fails, even those in miami, at least based on their attendance, or lack there of. :lol:

nice run on

Thank you. I'm trying my hardest to excel and grammatical errors. It is very nice that someone has noticed. :mrgreen:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    If, and that's a big if, the Hornets don't stay in New Orleans, a number of cities will be lining up to grab them. And a report from FanHouse says the league is strongly looking at moving the team to Kansas City and the newly built Sprint Center.

Matt Moore laid out a number of possibilities that included Seattle, Anaheim, Chicago and Kansas City. What's the drawback to KC? Here's what Matt said:

That said, the jewel in their crown is pretty simple. It's the building. Sprint Center, built in 2005 and opened in 2007, has a capacity of 18,555 with a considerably higher number of available luxury suites and club seating due to how the building was constructed. Specifically, the arena was built to capitalize on how current arena economics work. Tickets are valuable, to be sure, but the money is made with sponsorships, and luxury seating.

What's missing? A buyer. AEG who owns the Sprint Center, made noise early on about pursuing either a hockey or basketball team to fill the arena. But with the Pittsburgh Penguins using them as a straw man to get a new arena in Pittsburgh, there has been no team to arrive. Furthermore, it turns out the arena is making more money as a concert venue than it may with a regular tenant. With the recession having hit Kansas City well before the rest of the country and a lack of progressive technology firms in the area, finding a prospective owner outside of AEG is going to be a hard sell. Kansas City remains a viable candidate but it remains to be seen if either AEG or the city will commit to making a serious inquiry toward the Hornets.

Other than the sentimental reasons to bring a team back to Seattle, Kansas City has to be the leader in the clubhouse. New building, big corporate city with a number of sponsorship opportunities and the potential for a great, dedicated fanbase. Like Matt pointed out, it all comes down to a buyer that wants to bring a team there.

The concern over it being a college town is a good one, but the same was said for Oklahoma City and I think we've all seen how that went over. Competing with the Jayhawks and the Missouri Tigers wouldn't be easy for a professional franchise, but in a market like Kansas City, there's always room for more basketball.

But it's not about those reasons. It's about the building. Kansas City has what the league likes and what a prospective owner loves: a brand new arena that can make money. If Seattle had something new, no doubt in my mind it would be the frontrunner. But the NBA is about money and by all appearances, Kansas City would have the best shot at making the most right now.

http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssp ... a_txt_0001
    some sight suggested 17,000 fans poney up 17,000 dollars each and buy the team.

i like the idea
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Norm, Seattle has billionaires with money burning holes in their pockets (See Steve Ballmer). We have a buyer here.

Also, said buyer has enough money to build a state of the art facility. And in the mean time, for a year or two, they could play in they Key Arena.

Seattle is primed for this team.

Not to mention we have a solid fan base already in place just salivating at the chance to root for another team.

Seattle is where this team should end up. It is just right.
    norm wrote:
    Other than the sentimental reasons to bring a team back to Seattle, Kansas City has to be the leader in the clubhouse. New building, big corporate city with a number of sponsorship opportunities and the potential for a great, dedicated fanbase. Like Matt pointed out, it all comes down to a buyer that wants to bring a team there.
    What I like about that is - currently, Seattle should be strides ahead of KC!

We are a big corporate city with a number of sponsorship opportunities.
    We already have a large NBA fan base here - not a potential one.
    We already have a billionaire buyer who loves basketball.
    That buyer has enough dough to build his own arena, and while that is being built, they can play in Key Arena.

With all of those facts, there is no way KC is ahead of us in this chase.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Wasn't there a clause in the contract when the Sonics were stolen from us that 'if Seattle can get another team within X amount of years, a renovation of the Key would be included in the deal'?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Norm, Seattle has billionaires with money burning holes in their pockets (See Steve Ballmer). We have a buyer here.

Also, said buyer has enough money to build a state of the art facility. And in the mean time, for a year or two, they could play in they Key Arena.

Not to mention we have a solid fan base already in place just salivating at the chance to root for another team.

hey i was just posting that for info/rumor purposes :)

i think all sonics fans should get to kick david stern in the balls :mrgreen:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Used to be the Charlotte Hornets until 2002.

So, Seattle natives...can you give me your opinions on all this to-do about the Key Arena? I've never been inside. Why is it all of a sudden not suitable for the NBA. How long did it work for? It was fine when Seattle was having some of it's biggest years as a franchise, which obviously means higher attendance. Plus, didn't the building just recently have a rennovation? Sure, it's located practically in a neighborhood, but again...it's always been there and that worked for years.

I'm kind of stumped as to why the Key Arena wouldn't work. :think:
    The biggest thing the Key Arena is missing are luxury boxes. As far as the fans in the seats go, the sightlines are awesome and there is not a bad seat in the house. It is missing some of the bells and whistles of brand new arenas….but this is what really pisses me off…

We had just spent $74.5 million in 1995 to renovate the old Seattle Coliseum into Key Arena. And cock sucker David Stern is on record commending us on what a beautiful venue it now was, and how this venue should serve Seattle for a long long time to come. Apparently, he meant just barely ten years. That is why the voters in the town were so against using tax money to build another NBA home. We had just gone through it in 1995 and were told by the commissioner that we were going to be well served for a long long time. He lied to us!
    norm wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

hey i was just posting that for info/rumor purposes :)

i think all sonics fans should get to kick david stern in the balls :mrgreen:
    Nothing would make me happier than to get another NBA team - and to get to kick Stern in the balls!!! :mrgreen: