True Grit

spencer958spencer958 Posts: 279
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Just saw an extended trailer for this and it looks great. I know it's another remake but the Coen Bros have made some great films. Anyone else excited for this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    I'm counting the days! I'm gonna break out the old VHS with John Wayne this week, it's been far too long.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Love everything they do (the Coens). Can't wait to see this one.
    #FHP
  • KM43590 wrote:
    I'm counting the days! I'm gonna break out the old VHS with John Wayne this week, it's been far too long.

My dad loves old Westerns. He hasn't been to the movies in at least 10 years if not longer. On Thanksgiving the trailer came on and he said "when you go see that give me a call".
  • I love the Coen brothers and my grandfather loves westerns. Can't wait.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    spencer958 wrote:
    KM43590 wrote:

My dad loves old Westerns. He hasn't been to the movies in at least 10 years if not longer. On Thanksgiving the trailer came on and he said "when you go see that give me a call".
    can i go with you guys?
    i just watched the trailer, looks like a great flick.

i just got on netflicks and am looking for john wayne films :)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    spencer958 wrote:
    KM43590 wrote:

can i go with you guys?
    i just watched the trailer, looks like a great flick.

i just got on netflicks and am looking for john wayne films :)

I'll meet you there! :lol:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im a bit weary. my father is a huge john wayne fan and so i grew up with his movies. rio bravo is one of my fave films. i still recall the first time i saw wayne die in a film. i couldnt quite believe it. my father didnt warn me and i thought he was invincible. anyhoo... coen bros scare me a little cause afterall theyre remaking a classic. but i do love coen films so...

mattdamon!!! :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Can't wait for this.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    The wife and I saw True Grit yesterday and we both thought it was excellent. I thought the storyline was great (never saw the original movie) and the acting was top notch. As usual, the Coen brothers did not disappoint in any way. I would highly recommend seeing this film. 9/10
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Definitely want to see this!

Not a huge western movie fan, but this looks damn good and getting great reviews. Also saw the last half of the original on TCM the other night. Lot of big actors in that movie like Dennis Hopper, Robert DuVall, Glenn Campbell and of course John Wayne. The girl who played Mattie looked a lot like Justin Bieber though (ok mainly cuz of the hair :lol: )
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    My dad and I are going to see this next week.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    Yeah i'm def gonna see this one this weekend i love the Original so it will be nice to compare ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • my dad is the biggest john wayne fan... he is not pleased

no matter how good it is, remakes are stupid

duke > dude
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I saw it the other night. I thought it was good, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I thought it needed a couple of more action scenes and I thought the climax was rushed.

Kilgore, your thoughts about remakes are interesting. I'm ok with a remake if it's done well. I read in Bill Simmons' column today that Gene Siskel said why do they remake good movies? They should only remake bad ones.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    Kilgore, your thoughts about remakes are interesting.
    thank you

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    my dad is the biggest john wayne fan... he is not pleased

duke > dude
    This isn't a remake at all. They went back to the original book and wrote a new screenplay. It shouldn't be derivative of the original film in any way.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:

duke > dude
    This isn't a remake at all. They went back to the original book and wrote a new screenplay. It shouldn't be derivative of the original film in any way.

What he said.

And I have to say, for as good as John Wayne was, he pretty much performed the same way every time. Jeff Bridges, to me, is a much much more versatile actor.
  • It's only showing in my country next Jan/Feb, but I'm glad there's a Western out in the cinemas now. The greatest film genre ever!
  • adam42381 wrote:

duke > dude

What he said.

And I have to say, for as good as John Wayne was, he pretty much performed the same way every time. Jeff Bridges, to me, is a much much more versatile actor.

Are you crazy? The perfect western stars either John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. The dude? I don't think so.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    adam42381 wrote:

What he said.

Are you crazy? The perfect western stars either John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. The dude? I don't think so.

I'm talking more than westerns here. Versatile. Key word here.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    edited December 2010

yah its a real shame john wayne never did a film of tron caliber :roll:

though i'd say a white guy playing a mongol is pretty "versatile" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049092/ :lol:

im seeing true grit tonight... i'll let y'all know what i think
    Post edited by Kilgore_Trout on

yah its a real shame john wayne never did a film of tron caliber :roll:

though i'd say a white guy playing a mogol is pretty "versatile" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049092/ :lol:

im seeing true grit tonight... i'll let y'all know what i think

Filmography - learn it.

And I think you meant mongol.
  • Filmography - learn it.
    well well... someone must've taken an online course at community college

whats the pension plan like with the blockbuster corporation?

• I'm the first to admit when I've unfairly prejudged a movie... it was good

great performances all around... especially the little girl

like someone else already said, its always nice to see a new western... fun genre

Glad to hear it was good. Now hopefully you can stop rubbing your vagina. :thumbup:
    Glad to hear it was good. Now hopefully you can stop rubbing your vagina. :thumbup:

This made me laugh.
  • Glad to hear it was good. Now hopefully you can stop rubbing your vagina. :thumbup:
    but it feels so good

• Just saw the movie today, we all loved it. Great performances. Hailee Steinfeld(the little girl)was outstanding. Hard to believe she was only 13 when they filmed.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The film was cool. I loved the dialogue. Some very funny things said that if you did not pay close attention you missed.

I thought the acting and hte script were great. the Cinamatography had some nice moments too, but overall i would not call it a great film. It was a good film though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    The film was cool. I loved the dialogue. Some very funny things said that if you did not pay close attention you missed.

I thought the acting and hte script were great. the Cinamatography had some nice moments too, but overall i would not call it a great film. It was a good film though.

I feel the same way. Enjoyed it a lot, but it was missing something to make it great.