So Qatar got the 2022 FIFA World Cup...

2»

Comments

• polaris_x wrote:
    Mexico was the backup in 1986. I believe it was because Columbia had a terrible earthquake.

As far as heat being a matter of "discomfort," 120 degrees is a little more than uncomfortable. Otherwise, sure, I guess Qatar can do it, apparently. That doesn't mean it's not wasteful and illogical.

it's a dry heat ... ;)

i'm still waiting to see how it's anymore wasteful than any other bid ... or how it is illogical ... all the venues will be within an hour of each other ... if anything that is more efficient than hosting in the US where they would spread it out across the country and people would have to fly to different regions if their team moves on ... all media and the like will be hosted in one central spot with access to all venues ...

Come on - isn't it silly to build 9 new stadiums that will be used for one month? I know they're prettier than Meadowlands Stadium ( :lol: ), but still. And I still don't know how everyone's gonna get there. Are all the world's airplanes gonna fly to Qatar for one week? How does one even fly to Qatar?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Come on - isn't it silly to build 9 new stadiums that will be used for one month? I know they're prettier than Meadowlands Stadium ( :lol: ), but still. And I still don't know how everyone's gonna get there. Are all the world's airplanes gonna fly to Qatar for one week? How does one even fly to Qatar?

Apparently, they are going to disassemble and give to poorer countries. People will fly - carriers alter routes based on demand all the time. It's really not going to be a big deal getting there. They will have a world class airport. You folks do realize that Qatar is considered a developed country and has like one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. If no one griped about South Africa - there really isn't anything to gripe about with Qatar.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    polaris_x wrote:
    Mexico was the backup in 1986. I believe it was because Columbia had a terrible earthquake.

As far as heat being a matter of "discomfort," 120 degrees is a little more than uncomfortable. Otherwise, sure, I guess Qatar can do it, apparently. That doesn't mean it's not wasteful and illogical.

it's a dry heat ... ;)

i'm still waiting to see how it's anymore wasteful than any other bid ... or how it is illogical ... all the venues will be within an hour of each other ... if anything that is more efficient than hosting in the US where they would spread it out across the country and people would have to fly to different regions if their team moves on ... all media and the like will be hosted in one central spot with access to all venues ...

The stadiums are going to be kits that are going to be deconstructed and shipped to different places in the middle east and rebuilt.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    polaris_x wrote:
    aside from the heat ... which is strictly a comfort issue ... i don't see anyone giving me any reasons why Qatar shouldn't be hosting this ...

australia has a proven record for hosting big events like the world cup. sport is what we do and we do it well. we have an enthusiast and multi ethnic base who live and breathe soccer every day. we have several top players involved in the english premier league, which would have to be the top soccer championship in the world. we also have a national soccer comp and a solid grassroots base. we already have mutliple stadiums capable of handling the matches. and we have other lesser stadiums already built that need only an upgrade to get them ready. there is no doubt in mind that the entire australian nation would have been behind this, as we always are when given the repsonsibility of being the host nation for international sporting events.

i dont know why qatar shouldnt be hosting the world cup but i know why australia is infinitely more qualified to do so.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
    just from reading a few pages here, I cant find a reason why Qatar should host anything
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The stadiums are going to be kits that are going to be deconstructed and shipped to different places in the middle east and rebuilt.

They are working closing with the designers from IKEA on this. ;)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    It won't be the first time Qatar organises something 'big' - they have hosted the Asian Games a few years back.

Also, 'technology' will enable them to keep their stadiums cool.

Sour grapes all of this.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    First world cup played in a sandpit.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    polaris_x wrote:
    aside from the heat ... which is strictly a comfort issue ... i don't see anyone giving me any reasons why Qatar shouldn't be hosting this ...

FIFA does technical inspections on each of the bidding countries. For the 2018 and 2022 bids all but 2 countries were not categorized as "low" risk: Russia and Qatar.

There was only 1 country that received a "high" risk designation: Qatar. Russia was "medium" risk.

FIFA's own technical inspection committee found plenty of reasons why Qatar is suboptimal. But the FIFA executive committee obviously felt that the political and commercial aspects of selecting those 2 countries outweighed the negative logistical, environmental and infrastructure issues. Qatar will sell about 1/2 the number of tickets the US would have. Qatar will bring in less revenue from the event than a number of bidders. But petrodollars spoke louder than logic.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    So FIFA is warning the gay community to avoid Qatar because they may be persecuted. I guess FIFA overlooked this when taking their bribes, uh, I mean making a well informed decision in selecting the host country. Good times ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-blatter-gaycomment
    again ... what does revenue potential, number of pro soccer players, existing stadiums have to do with awarding the host country?

if these were the criteria - the same country would host it every single time ...

qatar has hosted an international FIFA tournament before and did so on short notice ... if people want to look at the human rights issues associated with qatar and the middle east - maybe they should consider the opposite side in that - maybe awarding this world event to a country like this would actually help make the country more responsive to it ...

South Africa was not a beacon of human rights nor did they meet all the criteria some of you guys seem to think is critical ... look at China for crying out loud ... these organizations are indeed corrupt and full of fat cats ... but my point made previously was that don't think that the country you think should have won isn't playing the same corrupt game ... you can say the oil lobby won but these events are all about manipulation and corruption ... the bottom line is no one country DESERVES the event ...
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    polaris_x wrote:
    again ... what does revenue potential, number of pro soccer players, existing stadiums have to do with awarding the host country?

if these were the criteria - the same country would host it every single time ...

qatar has hosted an international FIFA tournament before and did so on short notice ... if people want to look at the human rights issues associated with qatar and the middle east - maybe they should consider the opposite side in that - maybe awarding this world event to a country like this would actually help make the country more responsive to it ...

South Africa was not a beacon of human rights nor did they meet all the criteria some of you guys seem to think is critical ... look at China for crying out loud ... these organizations are indeed corrupt and full of fat cats ... but my point made previously was that don't think that the country you think should have won isn't playing the same corrupt game ... you can say the oil lobby won but these events are all about manipulation and corruption ... the bottom line is no one country DESERVES the event ...
    My opinion of some of your points are:
    FIFA does look into revenue potential, it's part of the bidding process. As FIFA make millions from a World Cup they say the revenue is put into development of the game. However that appears to be bollocks as Russia are believed to only achieve around 80% of the target whereas England would have reached 100%.

FIFA also look at the development of the game in the country the World Cup is given too. Qatar has a population of 1.5 million. I'm not sure of the development potential of a country that size.

The heat in Qatar will be ridiculous. They've even spoken about moving it to January but that's a non starter so obviously there's nothing in the stadium designs to help with heat problems.

Qatar's bid was won with backhanders as was the Russian bid. The 2022 World Cup should have gone to Australia, they hadn't held a World Cup before, football isn't their major sport and they have a sports mad population. A perfect choice in my opinion.

I agree with other posters that say a country shouldn't have it if they have held it quite recently. Mexico in 1986 was a rarity because Columbia couldn't afford to host it and Mexico was a logical choice.

FIFA talk shite stating this and stating that. If development in the game is a priority countries like Germany, France, Italy and just about every European country shouldn't hold it again as they have major football leagues. FIFA are a corrupt inwardly protective organisation that have now been found out by the 2018 and 2022 (which was probably the worst) awards. Unfortunately I don't think the majority of major footballing nations have the balls to stand up to them.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

FIFA does look into revenue potential, it's part of the bidding process. As FIFA make millions from a World Cup they say the revenue is put into development of the game. However that appears to be bollocks as Russia are believed to only achieve around 80% of the target whereas England would have reached 100%.

FIFA also look at the development of the game in the country the World Cup is given too. Qatar has a population of 1.5 million. I'm not sure of the development potential of a country that size.

The heat in Qatar will be ridiculous. They've even spoken about moving it to January but that's a non starter so obviously there's nothing in the stadium designs to help with heat problems.

Qatar's bid was won with backhanders as was the Russian bid. The 2022 World Cup should have gone to Australia, they hadn't held a World Cup before, football isn't their major sport and they have a sports mad population. A perfect choice in my opinion.

I agree with other posters that say a country shouldn't have it if they have held it quite recently. Mexico in 1986 was a rarity because Columbia couldn't afford to host it and Mexico was a logical choice.

FIFA talk shite stating this and stating that. If development in the game is a priority countries like Germany, France, Italy and just about every European country shouldn't hold it again as they have major football leagues. FIFA are a corrupt inwardly protective organisation that have now been found out by the 2018 and 2022 (which was probably the worst) awards. Unfortunately I don't think the majority of major footballing nations have the balls to stand up to them.

Don't waste your breath; this guy doesn't understand rational arguments. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I was just passing the time. :D
    nuffingman wrote:

qatar's population may be just under 2 million - but the region the country is has like over 60 million people ... i don't disagree that australia would have been an excellent choice (which i've said before in this thread) ... what i have also indicated is that it is blatantly obvious that FIFA is corrupt - my only point in that regard is that if you think your country or any country for that matter isn't playing the corrupt game to score the games, you are delusional ...

similar to your point about development and some countries never hosting ... if revenue potential is the ultimate decider - the games would go to the same countries every time ...

again ... if it's gonna goto south africa - it can goto qatar ...

uhhh ... ok ... thanks for not actually responding to any of the points i made but slagging me ... :roll:
  • polaris_x wrote:

uhhh ... ok ... thanks for not actually responding to any of the points i made but slagging me ... :roll:

You didn't make any new points, and you can find plenty of responses to the same points from me in the first 5 pages. ;) :P

It would've been cool if Australia got it.

You didn't make any new points, and you can find plenty of responses to the same points from me in the first 5 pages. ;) :P

It would've been cool if Australia got it.

i didn't have to - none of you guys actually were able to refute any of them ...
    So it turns out Qatar bribed their way to get the 2022 World Cup ... I'll file this under "No Shit, Sherlock".

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ro-rogers_usa_could_still_host_2022_world_cup_060111

I hope Australia ends up getting it .... truth is, the majority of Americans could care less.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,333
    Jason P wrote:
    So it turns out Qatar bribed their way to get the 2022 World Cup ... I'll file this under "No Shit, Sherlock".

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ro-rogers_usa_could_still_host_2022_world_cup_060111

I hope Australia ends up getting it .... truth is, the majority of Americans could care less.

This will come as a shock to polaris_x. :lol:

Obviously I would love to see USA get it, but Australia is just as qualified and has never hosted. Also obvious that Qatar is blatantly unqualified. But we've been over all this already. Can't wait to hear a ridiculous reply from you-know-who. :roll:

Qatar is accused of working 1,200 people to death in its £39billion building bonanza for the 2022 World Cup.

An investigation by the Mirror into the oil-rich Emirate revealed horrific and deadly exploitation of migrant workers, who are forced to live in squalor, drink salt water and get paid just 57p an hour.

Campaigners fear the death toll could reach 4,000 before the Finals kick off. One worker told us: “We are treated like slaves and our deaths are cheap.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/2022-world-cup-qatar-accused-3303458#ixzz2xjVBRs6R
    Another story to file under "No Shit, Sherlock"

FIFA President Admits a Qatar World Cup Is a 'Mistake'

In rare moment of diplomatic honesty, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has confessed that the selection of Qatar as host of 2022 World Cup was a "mistake." In a Swiss television interview on Friday, Blatter was asked if FIFA was wrong to hold the biggest soccer tournament in the world in one of the hottest deserts on Earth in the middle of the summer. "Of course, it was a mistake," Blatter responded, adding, "You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life."

The World Cup, of course, is a month-long summer tournament for a sport that is traditionally played outdoors. Qatar, being on the Arabian Peninsula, is extremely hot during that time of the year: Temperatures often reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit during the day in June and July. That is not ideal weather for playing soccer, which means that Qatar had to promise to build air conditioned stadiums and a transport system to let players and spectators arrive at the venues without melting.

It's such a concern that people are talking about moving the tournament to the winter months, but that would require interrupting the regular season schedules of the world's biggest soccer leagues.

thewire.com/global/2014/05/fifas-president-calls-the-qatar-world-cup-a-mistake/371041/
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Jason P said:

Another story to file under "No Shit, Sherlock"

FIFA President Admits a Qatar World Cup Is a 'Mistake'

In rare moment of diplomatic honesty, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has confessed that the selection of Qatar as host of 2022 World Cup was a "mistake." In a Swiss television interview on Friday, Blatter was asked if FIFA was wrong to hold the biggest soccer tournament in the world in one of the hottest deserts on Earth in the middle of the summer. "Of course, it was a mistake," Blatter responded, adding, "You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life."

The World Cup, of course, is a month-long summer tournament for a sport that is traditionally played outdoors. Qatar, being on the Arabian Peninsula, is extremely hot during that time of the year: Temperatures often reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit during the day in June and July. That is not ideal weather for playing soccer, which means that Qatar had to promise to build air conditioned stadiums and a transport system to let players and spectators arrive at the venues without melting.

It's such a concern that people are talking about moving the tournament to the winter months, but that would require interrupting the regular season schedules of the world's biggest soccer leagues.

thewire.com/global/2014/05/fifas-president-calls-the-qatar-world-cup-a-mistake/371041/

8 years away and this is already a fucking disaster. What an embarrassment for FIFA. Plus they are going to have to move this to the fall/winter since it's so fucking hot there in the summer when they usually have the WC.