So Qatar got the 2022 FIFA World Cup...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
That country is as big as Melbourne, where the hell will they fit all these stadiums?
I hope the players pull through in the 50c heat.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Shocking!!!!!!,not allowed to drink Alcohol there either, nearly as bad as England losing out to bloody Russia
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Yeah, this blows my mind. I didn't think Qatar was even going to be seriously considered. I'm sure there were plenty of FIFA officials with greased palms. The US or possibly Australia were the most logical choice. From a financial standpoint, the US made the most sense. The one time the US actually had a WC I was living in Europe. Grrr.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    as I stated in the other thread ... the only concern with Qatar is really the heat ... I'm not sure why people think their country is entitled to the World Cup!? ...

the US had the event in 1994 and again for those who think there was some shady business going on ... that is the nature of organizations like FIFA and IOC ... the US gets disproportionate amount of world events and i can tell you it isn't won on merit ...

and fyi - you can drink alcohol in qatar ... it's quite liberal for an arab state ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I think FIFA and F1 are in a battle to see which organization can muck things up the most for their sport and their fans due to their arrogance. Advantage, FIFA.
    polaris_x wrote:
    as I stated in the other thread ... the only concern with Qatar is really the heat ... I'm not sure why people think their country is entitled to the World Cup!? ...

the US had the event in 1994 and again for those who think there was some shady business going on ... that is the nature of organizations like FIFA and IOC ... the US gets disproportionate amount of world events and i can tell you it isn't won on merit ...

and fyi - you can drink alcohol in qatar ... it's quite liberal for an arab state ...
    If comparing Qatar versus the United States and Australia, what does Qatar bring to the table to best those two nations? Is there a single thing that Qatar offers that surpasses the US and the Aussies?

Does FIFA see a more viable market in the Middle East? I find the choice to be puzzling.
    Jason P wrote:
    If comparing Qatar versus the United States and Australia, what does Qatar bring to the table to best those two nations? Is there a single thing that Qatar offers that surpasses the US and the Aussies?

Does FIFA see a more viable market in the Middle East? I find the choice to be puzzling.

it brings to the table an area of the world that has not hosted the event ... it is the most popular sport in the entire world ... its showcase event should be spread around to as many different parts of the world as possible ... the US held it just 5 world cups ago ... i have no problem with australia winning but they aren't anymore entitled to the event than qatar ...

FIFA doesn't care about markets ... the fat cats that run that are bloated as it is - they can put the event wherever the heck they want and for whatever reason they want ...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Jason P wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

FIFA is wanting to expand their markets to areas where they have never been before. Seems to be par for the course ever since Blatter became president.

2002 Korea/Japan (first FIFA World Cup in Asia)
    2006 Germany (an anomaly, along with Brasil 2014)
    2010 South Africa (first FIFA World Cup in Africa)
    2018 Russia (first FIFA World Cup beyond the old Iron Curtain)
    2022 Qatar (first FIFA World Cup in the Mideast

The US has had the WC upteen times and I for one is glad it's being played in countries/continents where it haever been played before.
    Again Soccer is the world's most popular sport and FIFA wants to have it playing in all parts of the world....it's time to spread the wealth the popularity of the sport around the globe.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    The US has had the WC upteen times and I for one is glad it's being played in countries/continents where it haever been played before.
    Again Soccer is the world's most popular sport and FIFA wants to have it playing in all parts of the world....it's time to spread the wealth the popularity of the sport around the globe.

Peace

The US has had it once. Mexiso has had it twice, so North America 3 times. It has mainly been in Europe and South America. I'm not saying that the US deserved it, and I think Russia was a good choice. Austrailia has yet to have it, and I feel would have been the better choice than Qatar.

As I was talking to my friend who is in Bahrain right now, which is located right next to Qatar by the way, he found it surprising that they got it.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    It's pronounced "kuh-tar", right? And not "cutter"? 'Cause I think it's kuh-tar.
  • polaris_x wrote:

Dude, it's got nothing to do with entitlement. If you don't think USA & Australia (and England, and almost anywhere else) are more qualified to host a World Cup than Qatar than you're disillusioned.
    g under p wrote:

When did once become upteen?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Dude, it's got nothing to do with entitlement. If you don't think USA & Australia (and England, and almost anywhere else) are more qualified to host a World Cup than Qatar than you're disillusioned.

uhh ... dude ... it's absolutely about entitlement ... since when did having established stadiums become a prerequisite in hosting the world cup? ... like i said in the other thread - it would basically mean the same countries host it all the time ...

what are the qualifications for hosting a world cup in your mind? ... i guarantee you that south africa wouldn't have qualified prior to their bid win ...
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    It's pronounced "kuh-tar", right? And not "cutter"? 'Cause I think it's kuh-tar.

I say "kuh-tar", but it seemed like 90% of the shows I was watching yesterday were saying "cutter".
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I'm kind of glad that US didn't get it. We don't really give a shit about soccer. We just like to get drunk and chant USA.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    polaris_x wrote:

g under p wrote:

When did once become upteen?

I wrote upteen times just to see if any soccer fans would catch that. :D S obviously we have some soccer fans on here...BRAVO :mrgreen:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    UpSideDown wrote:

I say "kuh-tar", but it seemed like 90% of the shows I was watching yesterday were saying "cutter".

EXACTLY. Not gonna lie - it was driving me up a wall.
  • polaris_x wrote:

uhh ... dude ... it's absolutely about entitlement ... since when did having established stadiums become a prerequisite in hosting the world cup? ... like i said in the other thread - it would basically mean the same countries host it all the time ...

what are the qualifications for hosting a world cup in your mind? ... i guarantee you that south africa wouldn't have qualified prior to their bid win ...

Having established stadiums means that the tournament will have a smaller carbon footprint, which is something that these people supposedly care about (guess not). Also, having established flight routes for people to actually get to the tournament. How the fuck is anyone supposed to get to Qatar? How about having enough space to fit all the people who are theoretically going to attend the tournament. How about having appropriate weather for people to gather in public spaces?

Like I said, repeatedly, I have no problem with other, qualified, countries winning, like South Africa, Australia, England, Canada, whatever. Also, regarding corruption, I'm not saying USA isn't corrupt or that Qatar is. I'm just saying that FIFA is ridiculously corrupt, which has been proven recently.

Regarding the fact that USA hosted its one World Cup kind of recently (did I mention it was the best-attended World Cup in history?), I'm sure you didn't mind Canada hosting 3 Olympics in 34 years.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Having established stadiums means that the tournament will have a smaller carbon footprint, which is something that these people supposedly care about (guess not). Also, having established flight routes for people to actually get to the tournament. How the fuck is anyone supposed to get to Qatar? How about having enough space to fit all the people who are theoretically going to attend the tournament. How about having appropriate weather for people to gather in public spaces?

Like I said, repeatedly, I have no problem with other, qualified, countries winning, like South Africa, Australia, England, Canada, whatever. Also, regarding corruption, I'm not saying USA isn't corrupt or that Qatar is. I'm just saying that FIFA is ridiculously corrupt, which has been proven recently.

Regarding the fact that USA hosted its one World Cup kind of recently (did I mention it was the best-attended World Cup in history?), I'm sure you didn't mind Canada hosting 3 Olympics in 34 years.

are you kidding me!? ... smaller carbon footprint? ... since when did organizations care about that? ... and even so, what stats do you have that hosting in the US would be smaller ... people will have to fly to qatar as does every other place ... there will be plenty of accommodations ... and again - if having established stadiums is a criteria then only countries who have hosted would get to qualify ... south africa wouldn't have had the stadiums ... same thing with the olympics ... who builds olympic venues before getting the winning bid?

i've already said FIFA is corrupt ... i don't see how that is relevant ...

as for the olympics - the US has had 4 olympics in the last 30 years ... and i actually don't support the olympics ... if there was a vote - i would vote against holding an event in my home town ...

which basically brings us back to the entitlement thing ... who cares if the US world cup was the most attended? ... that isn't a criteria otherwise, we'd have in the same spot every year ...
  • Having established stadiums means that the tournament will have a smaller carbon footprint, which is something that these people supposedly care about (guess not). Also, having established flight routes for people to actually get to the tournament. How the fuck is anyone supposed to get to Qatar? How about having enough space to fit all the people who are theoretically going to attend the tournament. How about having appropriate weather for people to gather in public spaces?

I agree... it might be good for the region, but it's terrible for fans... the heat, the accessibility, etc is going to be huge issues for fans (the vast majority of which come from the US & Europe).

And these hundreds of millions of dollars are going to build stadiums, hotels, airport improvements etc.... then after a few weeks, what happens to them? is Qatar going to suddenly be a tourism destination.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Having established stadiums means that the tournament will have a smaller carbon footprint, which is something that these people supposedly care about (guess not). Also, having established flight routes for people to actually get to the tournament. How the fuck is anyone supposed to get to Qatar? How about having enough space to fit all the people who are theoretically going to attend the tournament. How about having appropriate weather for people to gather in public spaces?

I agree... it might be good for the region, but it's terrible for fans... the heat, the accessibility, etc is going to be huge issues for fans (the vast majority of which come from the US & Europe).

And these hundreds of millions of dollars are going to build stadiums, hotels, airport improvements etc.... then after a few weeks, what happens to them? is Qatar going to suddenly be a tourism destination.

Everyone seems to understand this logic except for FIFA and Polaris. Unfortunately FIFA makes the decisions.

Everyone seems to understand this logic except for FIFA and Polaris. Unfortunately FIFA makes the decisions.

haha ... i guess you don't have a response to my points ... but continue to show your entitlement issues ... 2 world cups in 7 events? ... please ... how selfish can a country get?

There is also one other thing that FIFA should take into account what selecting a host country . . . make sure they don't have any traditional musical instruments that are capable of annoying the world for several months. :D
  • Jason P wrote:

There is also one other thing that FIFA should take into account what selecting a host country . . . make sure they don't have any traditional musical instruments that are capable of annoying the world for several months. :D
    OMG!! My freaking 10 year old brought one home from camp (they watched the World Cup) and it was a toss up of which to throw out... The Vuvuzela or my kid
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • polaris_x wrote:

haha ... i guess you don't have a response to my points ... but continue to show your entitlement issues ... 2 world cups in 7 events? ... please ... how selfish can a country get?

I couldn't care less if it's ever in the US again, I'm not questioning Qatar because I think anyone is "entitled" to it. It has absolutely nothing to do with entitlement... it has to to with logistics, accessibility and common sense.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I couldn't care less if it's ever in the US again, I'm not questioning Qatar because I think anyone is "entitled" to it. It has absolutely nothing to do with entitlement... it has to to with logistics, accessibility and common sense.

you may not see it that way ... but who else is complaining that its in qatar ... i'm sure the people in the middle east aren't complaining ...

http://www.soccerblog.com/2010/12/qatar ... ld-cup.htm
  • I couldn't care less if it's ever in the US again, I'm not questioning Qatar because I think anyone is "entitled" to it. It has absolutely nothing to do with entitlement... it has to to with logistics, accessibility and common sense.

Oh no no no, logistics, accesibility & common sense have nothing to do with it. We are just selfish, ignorant Americans who want the whole world's attention on us at every moment. :roll: I don't know why you must insist that all Americans are like this. I was very happy for Japan, Korea & South Africa to put on successful, enjoyable World Cups.

Seriously, how many times do I have to say it? If we lost to Russia, Australia or England, I'd be offering sportsmanlike congratulations, knowing that they are a perfect candidate for such a thing - plenty of cities, space, infrastructure. But I just can't accept losing to Qatar as anything more than a bunch of FIFA cronies getting even richer.

• polaris_x wrote:

OK then considering entitlement, Brazil is going to have it for the 2nd time. Is that selfish, or do they get a pass since they won it 5 times. Mexico actually had it twice within 5 world cups. Should they be barred from hosting it again? France, Italy, and Germany have all hosted twice as well. Europe has hosted it 10 times, so should they automatically be out of the running for a while? Are all these countries selfish?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • OK then considering entitlement, Brazil is going to have it for the 2nd time. Is that selfish, or do they get a pass since they won it 5 times. Mexico actually had it twice within 5 world cups. Should they be barred from hosting it again? France, Italy, and Germany have all hosted twice as well. Europe has hosted it 10 times, so should they automatically be out of the running for a while? Are all these countries selfish?

Germany hosted in 1974 & 2006 - 32 years apart, which is just 4 more than USA would've had. Nobody called them selfish.

aside from the heat ... which is strictly a comfort issue ... i don't see anyone giving me any reasons why Qatar shouldn't be hosting this ...

let's face it ... the organizers and bidders of these events all want the world cup for selfish reasons ... and yes, i think if a country like mexico who's had it multiple times and/or brazil should refrain from bidding ... most definitely ... same goes for japan/korea ... at the same time, i recognize that only certain countries are interested and have the resources to hold this event so, you will see a lot of the same countries pop up ...

again - there is no issue preventing Qatar from hosting this event ... like the link i sent indicated ... they took over the youth world cup after another country failed and put it together in a short period of time ... they have shown they can pull this thing off ...

i may concede entitlement to you guys tho ... but then maybe i'd move to racism? ... ;)
  • Mexico was the backup in 1986. I believe it was because Columbia had a terrible earthquake.

As far as heat being a matter of "discomfort," 120 degrees is a little more than uncomfortable. Otherwise, sure, I guess Qatar can do it, apparently. That doesn't mean it's not wasteful and illogical.

Mexico was the backup in 1986. I believe it was because Columbia had a terrible earthquake.

As far as heat being a matter of "discomfort," 120 degrees is a little more than uncomfortable. Otherwise, sure, I guess Qatar can do it, apparently. That doesn't mean it's not wasteful and illogical.

it's a dry heat ... ;)

i'm still waiting to see how it's anymore wasteful than any other bid ... or how it is illogical ... all the venues will be within an hour of each other ... if anything that is more efficient than hosting in the US where they would spread it out across the country and people would have to fly to different regions if their team moves on ... all media and the like will be hosted in one central spot with access to all venues ...