TCU joining the Big East

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
now we just need Boise to join a real confrence. Big 12 anyone? i hear they have a few open slots.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    from the mountain west to the big east. makes a lot of sense :lol:
    this is for all sports too. the basketball big east needs to get rid of teams, not add them.

wonder if nova's gonna accept the football invite....
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    confrences don't make any sense any more

big ten is now 12 and stretches from PA to NE

colorado has to fly over a couple of confrences to get to the pac 10

what they need to do is develop 16 regional confrences with each champ getting a bid to the big dance. you play the other 7 memebers of your confrence and than 3 random teams and ad hoc games. this might be a bit drastic and the confrences would NEVER go for it.

ok...just add a 16 team playoff with all confrence champs and toss on the wild cards
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    63326911761943808.jpg
    #FHP
    Bizarro wrote:
    confrences don't make any sense any more

big ten is now 12 and stretches from PA to NE

colorado has to fly over a couple of confrences to get to the pac 10

what they need to do is develop 16 regional confrences with each champ getting a bid to the big dance. you play the other 7 memebers of your confrence and than 3 random teams and ad hoc games. this might be a bit drastic and the confrences would NEVER go for it.

ok...just add a 16 team playoff with all confrence champs and toss on the wild cards

see that would make toooo much sense :mrgreen: . i like it though. i've always thought of something like taking the winners of the top 6 conferences and throwing in the top 2-4 other schools and have an 8-10 team playoff. rest of the teams can still compete in meaningless bowl games.

either way the bowl system is the worst way to end a season. in any sport.
    www.myspace.com
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    this is for all sports too. the basketball big east needs to get rid of teams, not add them.

It doesn't make sense but the Big 12 won't let them in because of the Texas team glut already there, PAC-10/12, Big 10, ACC, and SEC are overcrowded, so there's no choice in the way of BCS conference. It will be good for the Big East as far as television market is concerned. Of course geography and travel doesn't make sense but the Cowboys are in the NFC east in the pros and college kids are pampered now in the way of travel as well, so it really doesn't make a difference.

And Nova will not join the Big East in football because they are happy where they are and will not step up to the challenge. That school is not about challenges and would rather be a big fish in a small pond.
    i get the TX thing, but it is a big state. maybe they should break up the state into 4 smaller states. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Bizarro wrote:
    now we just need Boise to join a real confrence. Big 12 anyone? i hear they have a few open slots.
    Wait the thread said TCU is joining the Big East.... they still need to join a real football conference still don't they??

:)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Bizarro wrote:
    Wait the thread said TCU is joining the Big East.... they still need to join a real football conference still don't they??

:)

:lol: yes, however, the Big East gets a auto BCS bid. it's all about the $'s
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Horos wrote:
    63326911761943808.jpg

well played :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • They're joining for basketball too? Just what Big East hoops needs, more teams! What are there, about 43 schools in that conference now?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    They're joining for basketball too? Just what Big East hoops needs, more teams! What are there, about 43 schools in that conference now?

close. 17 after tcu joins :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Bizarro wrote:
    They're joining for basketball too? Just what Big East hoops needs, more teams! What are there, about 43 schools in that conference now?

He's just mad because Providence isn't good.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Bizarro wrote:

He's just mad because Providence isn't good.
    Hey! They're 5-1. They'll be 9-1 heading into the clash with Boston College. But enough about the Friars, this thread is about TCU.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    If my poor Wyoming Cowboys would just face the music and drop back to NAIA the MWC wouldnt look so poor.

No, it still would. Nevermind. Please shut off the lights when you leave, TCU, there is nothing left to see here.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,437

Jaegs - i think Nova has the make the leap. Have to at least give it a try. Can always go backwards but if you turn it down now you are never getting another chance.

BCS leagues destined to ruin college sports any year now. They've pretty much already ruined college football, i guess college hoops is next.
    as of today, in my quick 2 minute search, it appears nova is still considering moving to the big east.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    hmmm...the big 12 would have made more sense for TCU (in terms of location). the whole system is an absolute MESS.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    marcos wrote:

It doesn't make sense but the Big 12 won't let them in because of the Texas team glut already there, PAC-10/12, Big 10, ACC, and SEC are overcrowded, so there's no choice in the way of BCS conference. It will be good for the Big East as far as television market is concerned. Of course geography and travel doesn't make sense but the Cowboys are in the NFC east in the pros and college kids are pampered now in the way of travel as well, so it really doesn't make a difference.

And Nova will not join the Big East in football because they are happy where they are and will not step up to the challenge. That school is not about challenges and would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

that's not the issue with nova. the issue is their basketball program. they're at a distinct disadvantage money wise right with not having a d-1 football program. i think they'll bite the bullet and suck in the big east just for the added revenue. the other issue, then, is where they will play and if they'll draw any fans. nova is such a small school...
    www.myspace.com
    Bizarro wrote:
    as of today, in my quick 2 minute search, it appears nova is still considering moving to the big east.

yup. they have until the end of the year from what i've read.
    www.myspace.com
    that's not the issue with nova. the issue is their basketball program. they're at a distinct disadvantage money wise right with not having a d-1 football program. i think they'll bite the bullet and suck in the big east just for the added revenue. the other issue, then, is where they will play and if they'll draw any fans. nova is such a small school...

other schools with basketball programs with out d1 football

Butler
    Gonzanga

i'm sure the list goes on, but i'm too lazy to look it up right now
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    marcos wrote:

if they make the move they are almost assuradly are going to play at PPL Park in Chester, home of the soccer Philadelphia Union. they have almost no other choices as their on campus stadium is not large enough and Radnor Township will never let them expand. The township fought them tooth and nail on the Pavillion thus the ridiculous design that place has. the biggest obstacle for Nova is the initial investment for the improvement in facilities, additional scholarships plus additional women's scholaraships to accommodate Title IX. Word I've seen is that the initial investment would be around $50 million. Once the investment is made though the bottom line costs are pretty much the same as they are today because their revenues will increase dramatically. Also I've seen some comments from Nova people that their current President is not a 'sports' guy and wants to invest the money into an on-campus Arts center. Tough decision for sure. Without football does the Big East kick out the non-football schools and Nova ends up in a catholic league basketball league? that is the concern from the Nova side that if they don't move up it is going to throw their basketball program into a so-called mid-major type league.
    edited November 2010
    Bizarro wrote:

Butler
    Gonzanga

right.
    nova is the only school in the top 25 right now without a d-1 football program. the amount of sustained success they've been able to have over the years is really impressive.

edit--also georgetown.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    marcos wrote:

if they make the move they are almost assuradly are going to play at PPL Park in Chester, home of the soccer Philadelphia Union. they have almost no other choices as their on campus stadium is not large enough and Radnor Township will never let them expand. The township fought them tooth and nail on the Pavillion thus the ridiculous design that place has. the biggest obstacle for Nova is the initial investment for the improvement in facilities, additional scholarships plus additional women's scholaraships to accommodate Title IX. Word I've seen is that the initial investment would be around $50 million. Once the investment is made though the bottom line costs are pretty much the same as they are today because their revenues will increase dramatically. Also I've seen some comments from Nova people that their current President is not a 'sports' guy and wants to invest the money into an on-campus Arts center. Tough decision for sure. Without football does the Big East kick out the non-football schools and Nova ends up in a catholic league basketball league? that is the concern from the Nova side that if they don't move up it is going to throw their basketball program into a so-called mid-major type league.

yeah ppl is the most likely choice. i'd say they get about 3,000 people at most at their games now. so it will be tough to convince 20,000 nova students/alumni to travel into the depths of hell to watch their football team get slaughtered in the big east. :mrgreen:

no chance of them playing on campus. there's just no room there.
    www.myspace.com
  • You sure know a lot about Nova, Jeags. Providence>Villanova. Also, PC's been ravaged by Title IX. That's all I gotta say.
    Bizarro wrote:

Butler
    Gonzanga

right.
    nova is the only school in the top 25 right now without a d-1 football program. the amount of sustained success they've been able to have over the years is really impressive.

edit--also georgetown.

looking at RPI top 25 :D

appalation state (although they are better than some D1 schools in football, i'm looking at you Michigan)
    Sam Houston
    St. Johns
    Vermont
    Old Dominion
    Robert Morris
    Cleveland State

if you include the USA Today poll you need to add Gonzaga to the georgetown & nova list.

anyways, i don't think you need a big time football program to have a big time basketball program. there are alot of programs in the top 25 that generally have a bad D1 football program
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bizarro wrote:
    Bizarro wrote:

Butler
    Gonzanga

right.

edit--also georgetown.

looking at RPI top 25 :D

appalation state (although they are better than some D1 schools in football, i'm looking at you Michigan)
    Sam Houston
    St. Johns
    Vermont
    Old Dominion
    Robert Morris
    Cleveland State

if you include the USA Today poll you need to add Gonzaga to the georgetown & nova list.

anyways, i don't think you need a big time football program to have a big time basketball program. there are alot of programs in the top 25 that generally have a bad D1 football program

dude. you're gonna give me the sam houston's and cleveland state's of the world? :lol: other than st johns (who has not much success at all in the last two decades), these are all mid major teams who are just happy with getting into the tournment...and then they go home at the end of the first weekend....unless they are that year's cinderella.

nova and g-town...and gonzaga to a lesser extent are competing at an elite level year in, year out. they have legitamate shots at trying to get to the final four and win a championship. the same cannot be said for any of these teams you mention.
    www.myspace.com
    dude. you're gonna give me the sam houston's and cleveland state's of the world? :lol: other than st johns (who has not much success at all in the last two decades), these are all mid major teams who are just happy with getting into the tournment...and then they go home at the end of the first weekend....unless they are that year's cinderella.

nova and g-town...and gonzaga to a lesser extent are competing at an elite level year in, year out. they have legitamate shots at trying to get to the final four and win a championship. the same cannot be said for any of these teams you mention.

Xavier as well does not have D1 football and does pretty damn well. I'd say Nova, Gtown, Xavier and Gonzaga are the tops Non-D1 hoops programs. There is probably a few more i am missing but those are the top 4 I'd say.
    pjhawks wrote:

Xavier as well does not have D1 football and does pretty damn well. I'd say Nova, Gtown, Xavier and Gonzaga are the tops Non-D1 hoops programs. There is probably a few more i am missing but those are the top 4 I'd say.

yeah xavier is usually pretty good. i was just talking about who is in top 25 right now though. having a d-1 football program (bcs eligable conference especially) is clearly a huge advantage.
    www.myspace.com
    having a d-1 football program (bcs eligable conference especially) is clearly a huge advantage.

take away football from Duke, NC, Michigan State, KY, & Purdue. Do you think these basketball programs would go down the shitter?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bizarro wrote:
    having a d-1 football program (bcs eligable conference especially) is clearly a huge advantage.

take away football from Duke, NC, Michigan State, KY, & Purdue. Do you think these basketball programs would go down the shitter?

i don't know. they'd lose a ton of resources and probably, over time, decline. you cannot deny the one constant that exists with all the major college basketball programs.
    www.myspace.com